Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

people see "chonk" and "smol" and think its chasing memes, which make it worse
Which is funny cause this is definitely one of the most divisive things right now: you either absolutely love the memey names (like me) or absolutely despise them.

Personally, I think memey names are fine and in fact the game needs more of them.
It's imaginary creatures often with excessivized features and intentionally funny look, why should they have "realistic and serious names" in first place.

This
Personally, I think memey names are fine and in fact the game needs more of them.
It's imaginary creatures often with excessivized features and intentionally funny look, why should they have "realistic and serious names" in first place.
Funny names are perfectly fine,the problem is making them memes,they are now forever tarnished with the internet culture of X year and that sounds like another ticking time bomb it the series that can barely stand its own weigh.Just like how golem is cursed for the eternity with being a bad design because its an obscure reference to an Ultraman kaiju.

Kinda late but my opinions on the new mons:

Koraidon and Miraidon aren't my cup of tea, but they certainly look cool and imposing. Dragon legends again are kinda boring though (I'm assuming they're Dragons).

Pawmi is really boring. Pure Electric with no signature move/ability? Yawn. I hope it actually evolves or gets something else otherwise it will be the most boring Pikaclone in a while.

Lechonk is adorable, I wanna hug it. Also it's name is great I don't care what y'all say.

Smoliv is also adorable. I agree with people that say it looks like a baby Digimon but that's a good thing imo. I don't get why it has the Normal typing though.

I think it has to do with what is most practical in a creative scenario, instead of seeing it as a paradigm that every name has to follow.

I'll also be disgusted if "meme names" were like a trend they have to follow as a general consensus, but in this case, I think these are just examples of "i saw a clear opportunity and took it". Like, lechonk is literally the spanish word "lechon" with an added "k". Im not a reddit user myself nor am I truly invested on all these "memenames-meta", but I'd have (probably) arrived at a similar conclusion regarding this species name seeing as the key word (lechon) makes it so evident to follow that direction.

In definitive, in my oppinion, this is just a matter of being clever and ultimately playing with the language.

Chonk & Smol have been so integrated to internet vernacular that they may as well be "real" words They're likely here to stay until some other new word likely from gen z or their successors over takes it

It helps they're fairly solid puns that you'd probably see happen independently (especially for smolive, small + olive, it's a small olive....). Personally less egregious than "Fungus Among us", and honestly no one seems to care about that pair of names anymore even if they are dated. Not everything dated is that bad anyway

Pawmi is really boring. Pure Electric with no signature move/ability? Yawn. I hope it actually evolves or gets something else otherwise it will be the most boring Pikaclone in a while.
I definitely felt like Pawmi would see an evolution too. It is a little surprising that after 4 straight generations of dual typings we get a....pure electric with fairly standard abilities. I guess Natural Cure is its gimmick...? At least visually its pretty distinct as far as the pikaclones go, I didnt even see the pouch cheeks at first.

I think it has to do with what is most practical in a creative scenario, instead of seeing it as a paradigm that every name has to follow.

I'll also be disgusted if "meme names" were like a trend they have to follow as a general consensus, but in this case, I think these are just examples of "i saw a clear opportunity and took it". Like, lechonk is literally the spanish word "lechon" with an added "k". Im not a reddit user myself nor am I truly invested on all these "memenames-meta", but I'd have (probably) arrived at a similar conclusion regarding this species name seeing as the key word (lechon) makes it so evident to follow that direction.

In definitive, in my oppinion, this is just a matter of being clever and ultimately playing with the language.
Agree with this, the meme names are fine in moderation, when they start naming Pokémon Despacito or w/e just cuz is when I’d take issue.

also

wut if i told u

Lechonk’s Revenge

On that note, shouldnt Ditto always be a light green cause realistically it'll always be in a game because of Breeding shenenigans? :smogthink:
It’s a pretty good point. In the past, Ditto was absent from RSE, DPPt, and BW Pokedexes and since B2W2 it hasn’t missed a Regional Dex up until the very faithful DPPt remakes and Legends: Arceus.
And while it is true that its appearance in the new mainline title is all but guaranteed due to its existence facilitating the breeding process I don’t feel confident enough to mark it just yet. After all, we can’t know if say, GameFreak decides to heavily overhaul breeding mechanics and make Ditto obsolete. The chance for something like this happening may be low but just last Generation they did something unexpected and unconventional as well – they took one starter family (Charmander’s) and put it in the Regional Pokedex while omitting the other two.

I also feel it is a bit of a slippery slope. If I decide to add Ditto then it would be tempting to add Eevee as well. It is an extremely popular Pokemon and thus unlikely to miss a Generation. And how about all the families with newly added Hisuian Forms or Evolutions. After all, it would make a lot of sense to put them in the first “real” Pokemon game after their debut…, and so on.

That’s why for now I would prefer to limit Light Green to pretty much just Alternate Form cross-gen Evolutions and hard counterparts of already confirmed Pokemon. The reason I feel somewhat confident in Qwilfish making an appearance is that the Pokemon Center screen it appeared on also showed Wingull – an already confirmed Pokemon:

By the way, I wonder what those screens could possibly mean. Maybe they show Pokemon swarms currently present in the area, or perhaps bounties? Or they are just advertisements, yeah that’s probably it…

Now we only need Ferrothorn and Landorus, gen 9 OU looking nice!
Well, a lot of people have been hypothesizing that the Pokemon from Legends Arceus are going to be allowed in SV so they can have main series game representation for the first time...

and if you're going to put Enamorus in the game then it makes sense to put the other genies in the game as well...

LANDORUS-T IN GEN 9 CONFIRMED???

That’s why for now I would prefer to limit Light Green to pretty much just Alternate Form cross-gen Evolutions and hard counterparts of already confirmed Pokemon. The reason I feel somewhat confident in Qwilfish making an appearance is that the Pokemon Center screen it appeared on also showed Wingull – an already confirmed Pokemon:

By the way, I wonder what those screens could possibly mean. Maybe they show Pokemon swarms currently present in the area, or perhaps bounties? Or they are just advertisements, yeah that’s probably it…
Eiscue also appears on one of the screens in the snowy area Poke...kiosk? Along with an airplane ad, which will surely not fuel rumors that you can take a plane to Kalos in the postgame :P No sign of a local Pokekiosk mon yet.

On a different note, they showed a little bit of the UI, and I feel like it looks pretty plain, more like BDSP than SwSh. I hope they punch it up a bit for the final release.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 3.48.15 PM.png

Eiscue also appears on one of the screens in the snowy area Poke...kiosk? Along with an airplane ad, which will surely not fuel rumors that you can take a plane to Kalos in the postgame :P No sign of a local Pokekiosk mon yet.

On a different note, they showed a little bit of the UI, and I feel like it looks pretty plain, more like BDSP than SwSh. I hope they punch it up a bit for the final release.

View attachment 428261
To be honest, I wouldn't mind a little downscaling from Legends Arceus. Although the post battle was great and I didn't have too many problems with the other menus, in-battle it felt like a tad crowded, especially since they were also trying to balance visibility since both you and your Pokemon can move around and also they had to specify turn order and throwable items and whatnot. A little more pizazz would be nice but I generally like Pokemon's simple menus.

Edit: I typed all that and realized you said SwSh, sorry. Leaving it up since I do hope it's not as crowded as PLA but lol

A bit late but here are my thoughts.

+ I like all the new Pokemon designs and find their names very clever
+ A full open world was pretty much my most requested feature for the past few years and seeing realised is great
+ Co-op is a cool addition although I won't be using it myself. Could be fun to watch streamers play together though

- It looks like they didn't take too much from Legends: Arceus when it comes to catching and engaging with wild Pokemon
- Looks like there's still no voice acting
- Graphics aren't great but I'm used to it at this point

I don't mind that the new gimmick or map weren't shown since there's bound to be a Summer Direct in a couple of weeks anyway that will likely show off more. Overall, the open world aspect is the biggest game changer for me. In most gens my favourite new Pokemon are locked away until near the end of the game when I have a full team already (Hello Vikavolt and Crabominable) so being able to assemble my team super early is great news.

At this point I could care less about the graphics. It somehow looks worse than PLA but tbh in the trailers for that game they chose some very unflattering shots too (seriously the game looks so much worse when you're flying) so I think they just don't care about those first impressions. It'll end up passable. New designs look adorable and I hope that Grass/Normal one bucks the trend and doesn't evolve into a sexy plant lady.

I am very worried about multiplayer though after how atrocious it was trying to play SWSH online and having your game turn into a slideshow in the Wild Area. I just don't trust Gamefreak about online features and I doubt they've figured shit out since then.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I am very worried about multiplayer though after how atrocious it was trying to play SWSH online and having your game turn into a slideshow in the Wild Area. I just don't trust Gamefreak about online features and I doubt they've figured shit out since then.
There's reason to be a fair bit more hopeful on this front

https://www.imore.com/nintendo-updating-its-online-multiplayer-infrastructure-after-almost-10-years

tl;dr Last year Nintendo completely overhauled their online infrastructure, Monster Hunter Rise being the debut game for the new and improved system. There's no reason to believe SV would somehow be using the old system instead, especially if they wanna go way harder into co-op than SWSH did. It's one thing to still be worried about the actual connection options and UI, but I don't think stability will be as big of an issue

I would much rather we get a reveal cycle in between SM's and SwSh's. Just give me multiple new mons per trailer, none of this "short trailer to reveal like a couple ok features and... polteageist" as the monthly news drop.
I just rewatched the trailer in which Polteageist was revealed, Cramorant was revealed in it too, and then the rest of the trailer focused on camp and league cards. Some of the other trailers had ok amounts of Pokemon, so maybe part of the reason I disliked SwSh's reveal cycle was that most of the designs they chose to reveal in trailers were some of my least favorites of SwSh, and I wasn't excited by the new mon selection until the guidebook leaks hit. If they revealed ~5 mons per trailer maybe there would have been more to look forward to during the pre-release period. I wasn't a fan of PLA's drip-feed either, but at least that's because of the limited number of new mons/forms, and they did have the good sense to reveal Zorua and Zoroark. :P

After squinting it does indeed appear to be Eiscue.
Eiscue is a soft counterpart to the already confirmed Stonjourner so it would make sense for it to make an appearance as well. The thing is, this type of counterpart pair is pretty unstable. It is not uncommon for Pokemon like these to be separated in some way after their initial Generation:

- Lilligant/Whimsicott – Lilligant was initially absent from Sword and Shield while Whimsicott was in,
- Butterfree/Beedrill – Beedrill got a Mega Evolution, Butterfree got a GMax two Generations later,
- Braviary/Mandibuzz – Braviary got a Hisuian Form, Mandibuzz got nothing.

Honestly, I’m getting less and less confident about these billboards implying the guaranteed Pokedex appearance for the Pokemon shown in them. Initially, I thought that they held more meaning, but if they really are mere advertisements then that isn’t much better than the infamous Bellossom cutout from Sun & Moon.

Still, I think it is reasonable to assume that all the Hisuian Pokemon will be usable in the games in one way or another. In Sword & Shield, the designers cared enough to at the very least put Alolan Starters and Box Legends in the game, even though they weren’t part of the Pokedex itself. It’s realistic to assume that entirely new creatures that never appeared in a “real” Pokemon game with “normal” mechanics, will be obtainable in some fashion. And we have already seen a Hisuian Zoroark.

Plus, I really love the idea of catching a regular Qwilfish in the present and then going to the past on a Motorbike Dino to catch a Hisuian variant! I think it's a very organic way to reintroduce supposedly extinct species in the game set in the present time.

There's reason to be a fair bit more hopeful on this front

https://www.imore.com/nintendo-updating-its-online-multiplayer-infrastructure-after-almost-10-years

tl;dr Last year Nintendo completely overhauled their online infrastructure, Monster Hunter Rise being the debut game for the new and improved system. There's no reason to believe SV would somehow be using the old system instead, especially if they wanna go way harder into co-op than SWSH did. It's one thing to still be worried about the actual connection options and UI, but I don't think stability will be as big of an issue
:pika: I didn't know that, Rise has one of the smoothest MP experience on the switch. Ok, I'm officially not a doomer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)