Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Really? Personally I love most of the designs he created such as Centiskorch or the Naganadel line. Also SS' pokes banged and I'm happy with where he is going:mehowth:
There is not a single design he had made that I liked. In fact, I strongly strongly dislike all of them outside Buzzswole and Shadow Lugia who I am just neutral too. When your good day is a meh, yeah.....

O thank arceus he is gone.
Just because he left does not necessarily mean they won't hire him for another role. Yusuke Ohmura left GF in 2016 and he stilled designed Pokemon for SwSh, including Zacian/Zamazenta and the Kubfu line.
As relevant here as it is anywhere else, James Turner has left gamefreak and formed his own studio.

Well considering how long these things take I imagine its been in the process before now
Any reason?

Just because he left does not necessarily mean they won't hire him for another role. Yusuke Ohmura left GF in 2016 and he stilled designed Pokemon for SwSh, including Zacian/Zamazenta and the Kubfu line.

Any reason?
I assume just wanted to move on and make his own games. It happens. He'd been working at gamefreak since probably 2008 or so, sometimes you just want to do other things.

Turner was also involved in the production of Evolutions and I assume probably still contributed designs to SV, so like you say he's probably someone gamefreak might bring on as a guest designer, just no longer doing full Art Direction, Cutscene work, etc.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Anyways before this devolves into pointless opinion arguing over designs, I wanna point out

1655056426285.png

1655056459190.png

The trailer is edited to make it seem like these shots of Nemo take place in the same scene, but the background is completely different. In which case, I also want to point out:

1655056597404.png

The screenshot of the first battle seems to be in the same background as the starter introduction scene, judging by the palm trees in the background. All this to say, the first battle against her may not be with her using Pawmi like the trailer had implied

But that also takes us to a rather interesting point, our first battle is seemingly not against other starters. I wonder if there's more to it that we are missing or if they're just not going to have any rival using the starters you didn't pick

Anyways before this devolves into pointless opinion arguing over designs, I wanna point out

View attachment 430112
View attachment 430113

The trailer is edited to make it seem like these shots of Nemo take place in the same scene, but the background is completely different. In which case, I also want to point out:

View attachment 430114
The screenshot of the first battle seems to be in the same background as the starter introduction scene, judging by the palm trees in the background. All this to say, the first battle against her may not be with her using Pawmi like the trailer had implied

But that also takes us to a rather interesting point, our first battle is seemingly not against other starters. I wonder if there's more to it that we are missing or if they're just not going to have any rival using the starters you didn't pick
Or she pulls a Hop and has other Pokemon in addition to the starter even in the first battle.

They've had issues with the first battle ever since the decision to give you a STAB at lvl 5. I definitely think they're going to mess with the first fight again in an attempt to solve those issues, though how doesn't seem like something we can predict.

I do think we're moving away from the "multiple rivals" model of recent gens. Call it a hunch, but they may be intending for Multiplayer to replace that aspect to a degree, so they can just focus on building Nemona's character. Given how the primary rival(Hop, Hau, Calem/Serena, Cheren/Bianca) seems to have a lot less positive reception compared to the backup rival(Marnie, Gladion, Shauna, N), I'm a little concerned about that, but we'll have to see.

They've had issues with the first battle ever since the decision to give you a STAB at lvl 5. I definitely think they're going to mess with the first fight again in an attempt to solve those issues, though how doesn't seem like something we can predict.
The evolution of the first battle is quite interesting. I think they decided to give the starters STAB at Level 5 in XY partially as an overcorrection to Gen 5's early-game. BW Lillipup with the Tackle buff was the first ever early-route Normal-type that was a legitimate threat to the starters 1v1. As an illustration, if you assume neutral natures then 15 IV Snivy and Oshawott both lose in a Level 5 Tackle war against a 0 IV Lillipup, while Tepig generally has to win the final speed-tie to win. That's kinda untenable for a Pokemon game, where your starter is supposed to be the ever-reliable backbone of your party.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The real question is whether the game will be allowed to release in the UK if it gives Gibraltar entirely to PokeSpain.
Why would it not be released in the UK if they put it in PokeSpain... Oh sweet Arceus on a bike, there's not one wikipedia page about it but TWO! :psynervous:

Well, I doubt the UK government would care where a video game places a Gibraltar-like mountain monolith, especially if the placement is due to geographical reasons. Pokemon Company/Nintendo ain't taking a stance on the issue of who owns it, it's just that it's an interesting location that exists in the Iberian Peninsula and so was included. At most, if they must or maybe want to reference the dispute for some reason, they would make it an independent place like Anville Town and Kiloude City, possibly a place needed to go to get the Legendary and/or some other post game activity.

That's the skin options from a game released in 2011. I realize GF has different priorities, and there are practical differences between the games and genres, but the whole "Pick from 3 preset male and 3 preset female options, you can eventually change your hair and makeup" is just sad compared to what other people in the industry have been doing for over a decade.
Heck, I'm not asking for this many options, just the first 5 rows (even then they can simplify it down to like, 8 tones, or maybe 5 with a hue adjuster to make it lighter or darker).

And, though they've been good with giving a wide option of eye color letting you essentially pick any of the basic colors, hair color they stick steadfast to with realistic colors even though they justify changing hair color in-game as dying it. Why can't be have brightly colored anime hair, especially when the important NPCs can?

I was wondering... I suposse there'll be some kind of alussion to Spain culture in different forms (be it in regional forms, like Tauros new form or Unown-Ñ, or characters/Pokémon having new forms/names/something aluding historical figures from this side of the world.

So, would we live long enough to see, finally, the regional form of Pikachu and portray of one of Spain most important and influential artists, Pablo Picasso, in the form of Pikasso?
While would be interesting to see more Unown representing letters from the other alphabets, it's also probably a line GF don't want to cross. Like, even if they add a tilde
N Unown, they would still need Unown A, E, I, O, and U to have an accent over them (and for the sake of simplicity I won't get into the different accent marks there are). And even if they just make these different Unown a form change you can manually do, it's still a can of worms that I can understand GF not wanting to open.*

* Said by someone who also had a thought of Regional Variant Unown... and realized how messy it gets...

As for including Pablo Picasso, maybe? Pokemon doesn't tend to really include allusion to real life people all that much, any who do are exceptions to the rule. Like, here is a list of famous Spaniards; who do you choose to include & exclude? Though that's not saying things related to Picasso will be absent, we've seen plenty of paintings on the wall so we may very well see some cubism artwork as incidental background elements (and, even if Picasso doesn't appear as a character, a Pokemon based on Cubism could certainly be an interesting inclusion).

If it is worshiped it is a god. All a god is something worshiped and claimed to have supernatural powers. Like, hell, a fucking random sock could be considered a god if you get a group of people believing that it created all the earth and is all knowing even if it is just a sock.

Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) in real life (though I could more say they're treated as a deity/divine not a god; and in my book those are two separate things), but in a fictional world where there is a being that are gods?

Like Johto can worship the Tower Duo and Hoenn (or rather the Draconids) can worship Rayquaza till the Miltanks come home, all of them are very powerful Pokemon but they don't hold a candle to the power which the Spacetime Trio and Arceus have (or at least their true forms have, now that we know the Pokemon we associate with them are merely just avatars to interact with the physical world). Let's put it this way, if Yveltal did it's life drain thing on them, the Tower Duo and Rayquaza (and Kyogre & Groudon) would likely be susceptible to it; but I doubt Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus would notice a thing (can't drain life force from a puppet which is essentially what their avatar bodies are).

the de-britification of pokemon
Yes, because living icicles that resemble ice cream, soul-powered earth automatons, vultures that were bone clothing, trees possessed by dead children, a mosquito muscleman, a living black hole, and a draconic-insectoid Xenomorph, and a fire centipede were SO British... though I'll grant you on the tea and glam rocker badger.

There is not a single design he had made that I liked. In fact, I strongly strongly dislike all of them outside Buzzswole and Shadow Lugia who I am just neutral too. When your good day is a meh, yeah.....
Yeah, but I think that's more of a you problem then him being objectively "bad".

Anyway, I hope the best to luck to James Turner and his future endeavors, especially in starting his own video game studio. :blobthumbsup:

Considering that in similar fashion to Hop, she's said to already be a trainer, in fact to be our senior, it'd make perfect sense she already has a trainer.

Heck from what we know she may not even be the one getting the other starter.
On the site it mentions Smoliv and Lechonk are also Pokemon that she uses.

Infact if the above edit is of two separate battles, the actual first battle with her and a later one where she uses Pawmi, I'm going to guess the first battle with her would actually be her using Lechonk only as it's a Normal-type hence has no advantage over the Starter types (meanwhile both Pawmi & Smoliv have an advantage over Quaxly, so would make sense the battle she uses them happens later when the player had a chance to catch some more Pokemon presumably with the Type advantage).

They've had issues with the first battle ever since the decision to give you a STAB at lvl 5.
As well as not making the Rival battle the first battle you have. If they give you any chance to battle wild Pokemon before the rival battle it doesn't really matter if your Starter starts with a STAB or not as they usually got their first at Level 7 which is easy enough to grind to.

I actually feel Black & White was close with the best way of handling it. You battle both your rivals at the start, getting your Starter to Level 6. One more battle usually gets it to Level 7 where it learns it STAB. Now, had they had your Starter learn its STAB at Level 6, it would have been a nice "reward" for getting through the rival battles (aka Tutorial Battles; now that you know the basics here is the special move).

I do think we're moving away from the "multiple rivals" model of recent gens. Call it a hunch, but they may be intending for Multiplayer to replace that aspect to a degree, so they can just focus on building Nemona's character. Given how the primary rival(Hop, Hau, Calem/Serena, Cheren/Bianca) seems to have a lot less positive reception compared to the backup rival(Marnie, Gladion, Shauna, N), I'm a little concerned about that, but we'll have to see.
If both schools are in the game I do think we'd at least get one more rival from the rival school, maybe one that's more on par with us as Nemona is a senior student and is said on the site to be a guiding character in the early game.

While would be interesting to see more Unown representing letters from the other alphabets, it's also probably a line GF don't want to cross. Like, even if they add a tilde
N Unown, they would still need Unown A, E, I, O, and U to have an accent over them (and for the sake of simplicity I won't get into the different accent marks there are). And even if they just make these different Unown a form change you can manually do, it's still a can of worms that I can understand GF not wanting to open.*
Ñ isn't a variant of N like Á or É are variants of A or E. It's considered an entirely separate letter.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ñ isn't a variant of N like Á or É are variants of A or E. It's considered an entirely separate letter.
My point was that, if they were to add a "Ñ", I would more bet that, since it does share a character with "N", it would be a form change of "N". Infact sharing the character with "N" gives it even the possibility of this as I don't think they would be adding in any more Unown letters (at least having a better chance than something like the letters of the Cyrillic script). If they were to add more Unown I would bet it be numbers as those are universal.

If both schools are in the game I do think we'd at least get one more rival from the rival school, maybe one that's more on par with us as Nemona is a senior student and is said on the site to be a guiding character in the early game.
By the look of the trailers, it doesn't look like it's the case.

Depending on which game the trailer was from, ALL the references to the other school are absent. Uniforms and insignas get all changed.

The fact the website also states that you will only meet one of the 2 professors is also a good indicator that the other school is simply non-existant in the other version.

By the look of the trailers, it doesn't look like it's the case.

Depending on which game the trailer was from, ALL the references to the other school are absent. Uniforms and insignas get all changed.

The fact the website also states that you will only meet one of the 2 professors is also a good indicator that the other school is simply non-existant in the other version.
If that’s the case, maybe in each version the professor you don’t meet isn’t a professor in the opposite version. This leaves a couple possibilities:

1) The professor you meet was chosen over the other one by the school, so the other one became embittered, driving them to be the villain; they end up catching the opposite version’s mascot legend and you need to catch your version’s mascot legend to stop them, a la B/W1

2) Your version’s professor is the villain and is wanting to use the version mascot for reasons, and the rejected professor is the good guy helping you stop them.

3) Or it doesn’t mean jack

Maybe (and that's a BIG maybe) in real life (though I could more say they're treated as a deity/divine not a god; and in my book those are two separate things), but in a fictional world where there is a being that are gods?

Like Johto can worship the Tower Duo and Hoenn (or rather the Draconids) can worship Rayquaza till the Miltanks come home, all of them are very powerful Pokemon but they don't hold a candle to the power which the Spacetime Trio and Arceus have (or at least their true forms have, now that we know the Pokemon we associate with them are merely just avatars to interact with the physical world). Let's put it this way, if Yveltal did it's life drain thing on them, the Tower Duo and Rayquaza (and Kyogre & Groudon) would likely be susceptible to it; but I doubt Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, and Arceus would notice a thing (can't drain life force from a puppet which is essentially what their avatar bodies are).
God
/ɡäd/
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

"Is worshiped as having power." It doesn't have to be actually physically be more powerful. The realness status of something actually having god-like powers do not matter, otherwise at least 99% of worship religions couldn't actual have a real god because only one would actual have the supernatural power above the others..and that is assuming any of them are even real to begin with.

Religion and "god" status is purely built on belief.

God
/ɡäd/
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

"Is worshiped as having power." It doesn't have to be actually physically be more powerful. The realness status of something actually having god-like powers do not matter, otherwise at least 99% of worship religions couldn't actual have a real god because only one would actual have the supernatural power above the others..and that is assuming any of them are even real to begin with.

Religion and "god" status is purely built on belief.
I don't know if you've realized this, but Pokemon games are fiction. Unlike real life, where the precise nature of things is unknowably complicated, a fictional world is much simplier. One of the ways fictional worlds are simplier is that actual gods are allowed to just... exist unquestionably. Legendary Pokemon aren't nebulous forces that may or may not exist. They're verifiable beings whose omnipotence (or lack thereof) is clearly defined.

I don't know if you've realized this, but Pokemon games are fiction. Unlike real life, where the precise nature of things is unknowably complicated, a fictional world is much simplier. One of the ways fictional worlds are simplier is that actual gods are allowed to just... exist unquestionably. Legendary Pokemon aren't nebulous forces that may or may not exist. They're verifiable beings whose omnipotence (or lack thereof) is clearly defined.
You missed the entire point. The point is, just because one mon is weaker then another. (Arceus vs Ray lets say) doesn't mean the other can't be considered a god as long as it is worshiped. Ray is worshiped by the dragon tribe in Meteor Falls, therefor it is a just as much a god as Arceus, and the truth of its powers/merits doesn't matter.

Edit: AKA actual Omnipotence of the subject, fictional or real doesn't matter at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)