Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
To be fair, color mine as somewhat unpopular opinion but... do we "really" need more informations on the game already?
I think it would be nice to have something to be hyped for. A selling point, if you will, or a reason to look forward to these games in particular.

At the moment, we don't know much more about Gen IX than we do about the future Gen X. Yes, it has a trio of starters, a pair of legendaries, and some other 'mons ... but what sets them apart from the games we have already played? What's the big deal here?

The Pokémon games are, if not formulaic, then at least quite fond of repeating certain elements from game to game. And almost all we've heard about Gen IX basically confirms that yes, these elements are retained this time as well. But we still don't know what will be unique this time. In a way, there's nothing to look forward to that we couldn't already surmise the existence of. A region and some new Pokémon, that's basically it, and we kinda knew before the games were even revealed that these elements would be present.

It would be good to have something to sink our teeth into, y'know?

For what it's worth, if you're already planning to play the games when they come out, you probably don't need that much information right now anyway. Keep in mind we're still 4 months away from the games' release; that's more than enough time for them to reveal new stuff. Besides, once they do start revealing more stuff, we'll probably get a new trailer every week or two like we did for several previous games.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I think it would be nice to have something to be hyped for. A selling point, if you will, or a reason to look forward to these games in particular.

At the moment, we don't know much more about Gen IX than we do about the future Gen X. Yes, it has a trio of starters, a pair of legendaries, and some other 'mons ... but what sets them apart from the games we have already played? What's the big deal here?

The Pokémon games are, if not formulaic, then at least quite fond of repeating certain elements from game to game. And almost all we've heard about Gen IX basically confirms that yes, these elements are retained this time as well. But we still don't know what will be unique this time. In a way, there's nothing to look forward to that we couldn't already surmise the existence of. A region and some new Pokémon, that's basically it, and we kinda knew before the games were even revealed that these elements would be present.

It would be good to have something to sink our teeth into, y'know?
The best (worst?) example of this I can think of right now is the mascot legendaries. People realized within hour 1 of their reveal that they're intended to transform into a motorcycle and futuristic hover bike respectively, likely for overworld traversal. But what do they look like in these hypothetical vehicle modes? Are these forms usable in battle? What terrains can they travel on? How early or late do you get them? For all intents and purposes, Koraidon and Miraidon as they are presented to us right now are incomplete designs. The presumed defining element of them that would set them apart from 8 previous generations of legendaries (and more than likely the horde of legendary Dragons) is a total question mark.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Incidentally, BDSP put out one trailer per month starting from August. My guess is SV will probably repeat that pattern.
The difference is that BDSP had minimal new content even for a mid-generation game. SV is a whole new generation debut.
The other thing is that despite BDSP starting new trailers in August, that happened to be five months out from Legends: Arceus, which was coming the following January. Monthly trailers usually start five months before the game releases, and since most are the usual November release, they usually start in June. SV already got its second trailer back in June, so effectively the "monthly trailer releases" period for SV have for all intents and purposes has already started, and it had already begun well over a month ago.

BDSP and Legends: Arceus got trailers starting in August which was give months before PLA's January release because Legends: Arceus was the real mainline project of 2021 and the real next Gen 8 game after Sword and Shield, and BDSP was a secondary concern and afterthought that wasn't even made by Game Freak, it was a parallel side project while PLA was the real deal. Legends: Arceus just had a weird release timeline because it was pushed to two months later than the usual November releases for mainline Pokemon games while the afterthought of a game called BDSP covered the Holiday season that Legends: Arceus couldn't, and as such the "five months before release" point was two months later correspondingly. So SV not having a trailer for July, at least so far, is somewhat bizarre in that regard since it already started its monthly trailer release period back in June, and SV is releasing in November like most usual mainline releases.

NealIRC

Banned deucer.
Now for pokemon in the bst-680 tier, we didn't quite need Koraidon and Miraidon. For pokemon in the bst-680 tier, we already have a red-bipedal beast (Groudon) and a purple bipedal-beast (Mewtwo, though Lunala could somewhat count for that too). We don't have a blue pokemon for that (Kyogre not bipedal) or green pokemon for that (Rayquaza not bipedal).

So if Gen 9 is red vs. purple, I hope Gen 10 is some blue vs. green.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm a die hard Pokemon fan, so you have to really screw up to get me to not buy a game, *cough*ForcedAffection*cough* but what Pokebank not letting movesets stay the same between SwSh and BDSP is a major red flag to me. What if they reset moves for SV too for the sake of letting Pokemon move back to older gen games? Movesets are part of who a Pokemon is to me, so what makes my Reshiram or Shedinja different than anyone else's Reshiram or Shedinja? (Please don't say EVs and IVs because EVs can change and Bottlecaps make IVs not matter much.) I have hope that this won't happen though because of Gigantamax.

Not being able to evolve Gigantamax Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth in BDSP and Legends makes sense because it's part of something from the same generation, but what about in SV? You'd need DLC from the previous generation to undo the thing that stops them from evolving. Very annoying in the long run.

I know being able to move Pokemon back generations is unlikely and hasn't happened since Gen 2, but I'm still waiting for the datamines.

I'm a die hard Pokemon fan, so you have to really screw up to get me to not buy a game, *cough*ForcedAffection*cough* but what Pokebank not letting movesets stay the same between SwSh and BDSP is a major red flag to me. What if they reset moves for SV too for the sake of letting Pokemon move back to older gen games? Movesets are part of who a Pokemon is to me, so what makes my Reshiram or Shedinja different than anyone else's Reshiram or Shedinja? (Please don't say EVs and IVs because EVs can change and Bottlecaps make IVs not matter much.) I have hope that this won't happen though because of Gigantamax.

Not being able to evolve Gigantamax Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth in BDSP and Legends makes sense because it's part of something from the same generation, but what about in SV? You'd need DLC from the previous generation to undo the thing that stops them from evolving. Very annoying in the long run.

I know being able to move Pokemon back generations is unlikely and hasn't happened since Gen 2, but I'm still waiting for the datamines.
I think "resetting movesets" is not meant for backwards compatability at all and is a weird leap to make at this juncture. If they reset movesets moving to SV I think it's entirely on the back of "we don't want to keep having people delete different arrays of moves every time we put out another game"

To be fair, color mine as somewhat unpopular opinion but... do we "really" need more informations on the game already?
We don't "need" it, that is part of my point: TPC's marketing trajectory is going in the direction of "we can just not advertise the games and people will still buy them!" and they might not be wrong.

Personally, I want updates about the game so that I have the occasional boost in hype and concrete things to look forward to while waiting for it, but it's unlikely that I will not buy the game just because the marketing campaign is being run by Johnny Tightlips, so I don't need the updates.

Maybe for some people a lack of info will result in failure to reach a critical mass of hype to convince them to buy the game, but my interpretation of the marketing cycle so far is that it seems like TPC isn't worried too much about that.

NealIRC

Banned deucer.
So it's a trade-off. The earlier we have the info, the longer we have to wait. The later we have the info, the lesser we have to wait.

But that's for the actual game to come. I'm a pretty visual guy so I like to do Pokemon for art. For example...

Sewers1-1.jpg

Waiting for Fuecoco's 2nd stage to come out so I can put that somewhere in this image.

Other stuff I like are ghosts in haunted houses, fairy in librarys, cats/rabbits/flowers in gardens, etc.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
As far as trailers go, I've personally been under the assumption that since this is the first fully open world mainline game, they probably have a lot that they want to explain more in-depth, so instead of doing the usual short trailers I've been assuming they're gonna do one longer dorect so they have more time to explain what all is new about this different direction (+ any potential brand new features)

Granted I could be proven wrong as soon as more info comes out and its not in this format, but that's just how I have interpreted the lack of news so far

If they're going to keep doing this they should just do it like Nintendo does with most (not all! but most!) of their games and try not to reveal them more than 6 months ahead of their release
There's also the fact that differently from other series, Pokemon is a cyclical one, with a fixed schedule, so it's not like people won't know that there isn't a new pokemon game coming in 2024 for example.

Back when SV was announced I was on the club of "perfectly on timer", and it indeed is. I'd be worried if in 2 years people will be surprised to hear pokemon something and something announced for November 2024 :D

On the topic of new content, I want to see actual gameplay of the open world. My big question is how the open world is going to be designed: Is it more like Xenoblade Chronicles or Breath of the Wild? I'm leaning towards the latter, since something like Breath of the Wild would need more than two years of development and probably additional help from another studio. I'm curious how open the game is: Can you explore the areas in any order you like? Is there a limit to Pokemon you can catch like SwSh ( Hopefully not ) ? How the open world functions is going to be my decision whether or not I buy this game.

On the topic of new content, I want to see actual gameplay of the open world. My big question is how the open world is going to be designed: Is it more like Xenoblade Chronicles or Breath of the Wild? I'm leaning towards the latter, since something like Breath of the Wild would need more than two years of development and probably additional help from another studio. I'm curious how open the game is: Can you explore the areas in any order you like? Is there a limit to Pokemon you can catch like SwSh ( Hopefully not ) ? How the open world functions is going to be my decision whether or not I buy this game.
Legends Arceus's world was broken into sections, was barren, and still looked barely better than a GameCube game. I hope we get a true open world game but given Gamefreak's past I doubt it's going to be very impressive.

There's a spectrum, roughly Minecraft>Breath of the Wild>Skyrim>Mass Effect>any Metroidvania>Gold/Silver.

In general, I expect Mass Effect level from most companies if they claim "Open World". Separate areas, each of which can't significantly influence the others, that can be addressed in any general order(except the first and last). Areas may be large and complicated, some may be partially or completely skippable, quests can have multiple resolutions, but you get the gist. Lots of discrete sandboxes to play in rather than a massive beach. This is easiest from a development standpoint while also qualifying as open world enough for most fans.

The problem with Pokemon is leveling. That's why L:A went with a different level system and still required you address the areas in order. There's ways around this problem, but IDK whether GF is willing to change things to that degree. If they don't mess with how leveling and battles work, then the most we can hope for is rather large areas that must be taken in order.

The leveling issue can easily be circumvented to some degree by using comparable level scaling formula as SwSh for the wild area to be fair.
Or scale experience to how many badges you have while also scaling trainer Pokémon based on badges. This way if you over-level your growth will plummet while still keeping enemy trainers relevant. Alternatively level caps based on # of badges. Pokémon Crystal Clear is an open world Gen 2 game that simply scales trainers based off your badges. Gyms leaders get stronger Pokémon based on your badges and can be rematched freely. Fight Blue as the first Gym and he has a Pidgey, fight him last and he has a Mewtwo.

There's a million ways to balance an open world game on Pokémon's stat formula. Gamefreak is either too incompetent to do it or otherwise just doesn't care to.

Last edited:
I don't think you can really apply the level-scaling principles of Crystal Clear to a modern Pokemon game. Some of the things people love about that type of fangame (e.g. having access to a thousand different busted early-game options depending on the path you take) are the same things they'd eviscerate an official Pokemon game for including. Reimagining an existing region also has the advantage of familiarity: players have enough prior knowledge to give their exploration some direction, and a lot of the joy comes from seeing that familiarity subverted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)