Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Personally, I wouldn't say "woke". I would say "normie".
Probably a better way to put it is that the 3D versions all look like some average joe person's Facebook social media profile picture converted into a 3D model via Blender.

If they were "woke", they'd more likely look like fat people with glasses, rainbow dyed hair shaved on one side, pierced lips or nose, cyan lipstick and a dead, life-hating expression.
I'm sorry but this is even worse than the post I originally quoted.

EDIT: On the subject of SV's open-worldedness (making a mental note to never call it that again), I'm excited that it seems to be fairly ambitious? I was expecting the bare minimum, like having Gyms 2-7 be challengeable in any order with very little else adapted to accommodate the change (beyond adding some more anti-grinding features to streamline everything). Having multiple 'storylines' to go through could be a pretty neat and refreshing approach, although execution is critical for this to work and that has not been Pokemon's strength in recent gens.

Last edited:
...The more I think about it, the more I am hoping that the Super STAB multiplier isn't too crazy for Tera Mons. As it is now, that seems like it will be the go-to for every mon and it kinda blows in the creativity department. If the multiplier is too high, there is actually no reason to transform into other types outside of counterpicking, which could be seen as both a good and bad thing, but it feels kinda lame to me. Like, we wouldn't intentionally add something like Inteleon to a team now because its Tera form is a speedy fast Ice Attacker, since even something like Sneasel would be a better addition for that purpose specifically. However, if we are already using Inteleon on our team, the Tera Ice-type form would be a nice "bonus" to let it counter Grass-types and maybe function as an Ice-type in a pinch if we aren't running another one. Its more like a cherry on top rather than the whole sundae. I see the pros to this approach since it doesn't fundamentally change teambuilding too much, but it is kinda lame that a majority of Pokemon won't be able to fulfill new roles that they aren't outclassed in due to their Tera form.

The bigger issue though is that Super STAB may be way too powerful on every mon. We've seen what G-Darm is capable of doing w/ a Free CB boost on its main STAB. If the same multiplier is applied to stuff like Dragapult's Shadow Ball or Garchomp's EQ, it will be game-breaking in singles.

counterpoint: i want to give jacq a little smooch on the head and a big warm hug :)
Not the 50-frame glasses guy...........

anyways I'm curious on how the tera gimmick will end up in singles. I feel like it'll either be very powerful (a bit doubtful on this one), or just average. My main real fear is that it ends up something like z moves, which is really really bad but at the same time you can't really suspect it, at least not without so much discussion where at that point the gen is over (maybe the fact dmax got banned means it'd be more likely, at least).

But in terms of aesthetics, I really don't like how man-made the crystals are. I think the concept is cute, though I wish it was more like... idk special effects? maybe feather crystals swirling around a mon, or droplet crystals raining around. Or even just a crystal aura, instead of chandeliers and balloons and rings

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
1659686565435.png

My favorite shot in the entire trailer, unironically. This is the kind of "Game Freak is finally on hardware that lets them fully realize the world of Pokemon" imagery SWSH and even parts of PLA needed more of, skwovet aiding with picking out ingredients, polteageist serving drinks and makuhita being a waiter is so wondrous and inspired

Is the Tera gimmick going to be banned from monotype play? Or is there just going to be a rule that you're only allowed to Tera into your team's monotype?

polteageist serving drinks and makuhita being a waiter is so wondrous and inspired
Half of me thinks that the polteageist / sinisteas hovering around and serving tea are cute a f

The other half of me reminded that... the substance in the teapot is the pokemon

Is the Tera gimmick going to be banned from monotype play? Or is there just going to be a rule that you're only allowed to Tera into your team's monotype?
That's something you should ask to their respective leaders.
Despite the chitchat about competitive implications of Tera, OI doesn't really deal much with the competitive side of Pokemon.

Last edited:
I think Game Freak is portraying the legendary Pokémon wrongly.

Legendary Pokémon are a sight to behold. They exist way prior to your arrival to the region and are often deemed as extremely rare. These characteristics tend to be even more extreme in the case of version cover legendaries. For a normal human, seeing a legendary for a brief moment is something that can happen once in a lifetime and only if you are lucky enough. Ho-Oh, for example, had an entire folklore constructed upon centuries of myths regarding its existence.

This emphasizes the feeling that, often, legendaries are ancient creatures in some way related to the very essence of the world you are living in. That’s why, while mentioned, you keep asking to yourself: what is Ho-Oh? What is Lugia? Where are they? How are they? What about Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza? What about Mewtwo? This strange, incredibly powerful creature you find in a remote cave or somewhere else, only after having proved yourself as worthy upon player progression. And although you've already been inevitably spoiled in the cover art of the Pokémon box, you still have plenty of doubts concerning the specifics of your first meeting.

The fact that the legend of the legendary is unrelated to you in the big picture also helps when it comes to distinguish them. You are nobody. A dude that happens to be in the right place at the right time, fighting something greater than him. The main legendary is not just another ‘mon in your team, is a game accomplishment, a ‘mon that lends you its exceptional power as an extremely rare gift.

I loved when the latitwins were roamers. They had 0 relation with the main character; Pokémon of legend, as they say. You were having fun and then oh shit, it’s Lati@s, as your heart suddenly accelerated with excitement, knowing it could be the last time you saw it for a long time. In Pokémon Emerald, something similar happens. When you reach Sky Pillar in order to ask for Rayquaza’s help, you don’t even stablish interaction with it; it just flies immediately to fulfill its duty, leaving you watching.

Now, in this games I think that, again, we are too much of the protagonist here. One thing is that, from a playable perspective, you are able to show any Pokémon you have to players online. It’s the same thing when you engage in a trade or a battle; it doesn’t matter if you have 3 boxes of Shiny Groudon, this is for the sake of the playable environment. But one thing completely different is when that vision infects the main story of the game. To me, it seems ridiculous that a guy is, from the get go to make things worse, riding a legendary Pokémon through the entirety of a region, a region in which they are probably considered saviors, heroes, tale legends or representatives of some sort. “Ey, look at that guy traveling in Miraidon”.

It’s like… no? When you get to fight Ho-Oh, you know you are in the mid of an exceptional event. In fact, almost no one knows about your battle against it. What am I saying? No one apart from the kimono girls and the sages is even sure of its existence at this point, most have already mixed legend with reality. This doesn’t happen in the games because they don’t reinforce the narrative to this extent, but you know, you sure KNOW, that if you were to use that Ho-Oh in battle against an NPC, that NPC would be left speechless either asking himself what Pokémon is that or trying to accept that what their eyes are seeing is the truth, because in the context of the Pokémon world it would’ve similar, and I’m not exaggerating, to suddenly see Christ nice and clear.

So, why don’t the guy start as a no-name, a random with a Weedle that eventually has things his way, and instead feels like a privileged boy with access to a creature of legend from the very beginning. I don’t really like what it conveys.

Last edited:
Oh, I wasn't aware we knew enough about the mechanic, thanks for the update. If this is from leaks I haven't been following that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised either way.
It's not from leaks, it's clearly written in the infos on the site. You get a "band" to enable it like for Dynamax and that's it.

I think Game Freak is portraying the legendary Pokémon wrongly.

Legendary Pokémon are a sight to behold. They exist way prior to your arrival to the region and are often deemed as extremely rare. These characteristics tend to be even more extreme in the case of version cover legendaries. For a normal human, seeing a legendary for a brief moment is something that can happen once in a lifetime and only if you are lucky enough. Ho-Oh, for example, had an entire folklore constructed upon centuries of myths regarding its existence.

This empathizes the feeling that, often, legendaries are ancient creatures to some way related to the very essence of the world you are living in. That’s why, while mentioned, you keep asking to yourself: what is Ho-Oh? What is Lugia? Where are they? How are they? What about Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza? What about Mewtwo? This extrange, incredibly powerful creature you find in a remote cave or somewhere else, only after having proved yourself as worthy upon player progression. And although you've already been inevitably spoiled in the cover art of the Pokémon box, you still have plenty of doubts concerning the specifics of your first meeting.

The fact that the legend of the legendary is unrelated to you in the big picture also helps when it comes to distinguish them. You are nobody. A dude that happens to be in the right place at the right time, fighting something greater than him. The main legendary is not just another ‘mon in your team, is a game accomplishment, a ‘mon that lends you its exceptional power as an extremely rare gift.

I loved when the latitwins were roamers. They had 0 relation with the main character; Pokémon of legend, as they say. You were having fun and then oh shit, it’s Lati@s, as your heart suddenly accelerated with excitement, knowing it could be the last time you saw it for a long time. In Pokémon Emerald, something similar happens. When you reach Sky Pillar in order to ask for Rayquaza’s help, you don’t even stablish interaction with it; it just flies immediately to fulfill its duty, leaving you watching.

Now, in this games I think that, again, we are too much of the protagonist here. One thing is that, from a playable perspective, you are able to show any Pokémon you have to players online. It’s the same thing when you engage in a trade or a battle; it doesn’t matter if you have 3 boxes of Shiny Groudon, this is for the sake of the playable environment. But one thing completely different is when that vision infects the main story of the game. To me, it seems ridiculous that a guy is, from the get go to make things worse, riding a legendary Pokémon through the entirety of a region, a region in which they are probably considered saviors, heroes, tale legends or representatives of some sort. “Ey, look at that guy traveling in Miraidon”.

It’s like… no? When you get to fight Ho-Oh, you know you are in the mid of an exceptional event. In fact, almost no one knows about your battle against it. What am I saying? No one apart from the kimono girls and the sages is even sure of its existence at this point, most have already mixed legend with reality. This doesn’t happen in the games because they don’t reinforce the narrative to this extent, but you know, you sure KNOW, that if you were to use that Ho-Oh in battle against an NPC, that NPC would be left speechless either asking himself what Pokémon is that or trying to accept that what their eyes are seeing is the truth, because in the context of the Pokémon world it would’ve similar, and I’m not exaggerating, to suddenly see Christ nice and clear.

So, why don’t the guy start as a no-name, a random with a Weedle that eventually has things his way, and instead feels like a privileged boy with access to a creature of legend from the very beginning. I don’t really like what it conveys.
I feel like the answer is simply different cultures and individuals have different degrees of interactions with people and legendaries, and how important they are. You would be considered insanely blessed to have a tapu on your side, the dogs are lost legend in swsh and you get to be a new hero, but meanwhile the genies are beating the shit out of each other on route 12 every other thursday. Someone would probably just thank you for catching them and making shut up. There's canonically a trainer that just got all regis because regigigas probably made 40 of those and they're lying around in these caves just sleeping. The swords of justice probably choose another worthy trainer to challenge them every 30 years or something.

The only difference is that we're seeing this with the cover legendaries, but tbh I do like the idea of the regions legendaries being more like minor deities, since a lot of the minor legendaries are just not doing much beyond standing there and maybe having a themed cave or something. Unfortunate that we're doing this concept with racism lizard and dildo lizard though

Reading / watching some people's opinion, I ran into a specific one that me and many others didn't consider.

We're all assuming that "every pokemon can teralize in every type" but... there's actually no confirmation that this is the case anywhere. The site only says that "there's a lot of combinations" but doesn't exactly say "all combinations".

Someone actually guessed that the "different type teralyze" may be something like Gigantamax: only selected pokemon are actually able to get a different type (of which we know already some, Pikachu gets Flying, Gardevoir can get Water, Drifloon was shown to get Fire, Eevee is said to get access to Water and Grass iirc).
They may also use this to do gradual release like they've done with Gigamax which were slowly but surely made available to everyone (through global events, so even version exclusives were available for everyone).

I think as of now it's still a bit too late to imagine that "everyone can teralyze in everything" until we get more informations about it to be fair.

Reading / watching some people's opinion, I ran into a specific one that me and many others didn't consider.

We're all assuming that "every pokemon can teralize in every type" but... there's actually no confirmation that this is the case anywhere. The site only says that "there's a lot of combinations" but doesn't exactly say "all combinations".

Someone actually guessed that the "different type teralyze" may be something like Gigantamax: only selected pokemon are actually able to get a different type (of which we know already some, Pikachu gets Flying, Gardevoir can get Water, Drifloon was shown to get Fire, Eevee is said to get access to Water and Grass iirc).
They may also use this to do gradual release like they've done with Gigamax which were slowly but surely made available to everyone (through global events, so even version exclusives were available for everyone).

I think as of now it's still a bit too late to imagine that "everyone can teralyze in everything" until we get more informations about it to be fair.
from the website

There are 18 types, meaning there are countless combinations of Pokémon and Tera Types.
and then the trailer emphasizes that there are some rarer types and hope you'll seek those out, and that raids will have those more commonly.

It sure reads to me, from the way they word things and the emphasis, like every type might be available.

The only purpose of this last trailer (that didnt give us much to discuss) is that it confirmed the leaks. And according to the leaks, every mon can teralyze or whatever its called in any type.

Add to this that the original source (altho, again, its irrelevant what is official and what not at this point, the trailer served as a validation of the leaks source) says something like there are 18 pokémon types so the combinations are endless, and it's pretty clear to me almost every Pokémon can teralize in every type.

It sure reads to me, from the way they word things and the emphasis, like every type might be available.
It's possible, but I wouldnt file it as guaranteed yet.
Or, not from the start at least.

I was also thinking of the issue of availability per se... we know that "special teras" will be coming from the raids, but unless (possible) they provide a way to customize tera type either right away or later via dlc / rerelease / something, it would be... excessively RNG and basically begging to hack to try to obtain specific tera types, expecially for "one of" pokemon like legendaries. We're not talking like a simple flag like it was for Gigamax, but this would be 18 separate "flags" pretty much that you have to account for when it comes to availability.
Basically the HP Fighting legendary conundrum.

After going such long lenght to make the competitive scene more accessible, it'd be... very gamefreak to go back 5 steps and introduce another reason to gen or edit pokes. *loud sigh*

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
excessively RNG and basically begging to hack to try to obtain specific tera types, expecially for "one of" pokemon like legendaries.
I’d guess that legendaries have a guaranteed Tera type i.e Miraidon is always Electric. If there’s a Gigantamax equivalent like a special Charizard that becomes Dragon/Fire with boosts to both, then I’d also think legendaries would be guaranteed to have that.

It's possible, but I wouldnt file it as guaranteed yet.
Or, not from the start at least.

I was also thinking of the issue of availability per se... we know that "special teras" will be coming from the raids, but unless (possible) they provide a way to customize tera type either right away or later via dlc / rerelease / something, it would be... excessively RNG and basically begging to hack to try to obtain specific tera types, expecially for "one of" pokemon like legendaries. We're not talking like a simple flag like it was for Gigamax, but this would be 18 separate "flags" pretty much that you have to account for when it comes to availability.
Basically the HP Fighting legendary conundrum.

After going such long lenght to make the competitive scene more accessible, it'd be... very gamefreak to go back 5 steps and introduce another reason to gen or edit pokes. *loud sigh*
yeah they want you to grind tera raids forever (until the DLC) because they want you to keep playing the game and this is their weird half measure to make it a GAAS

i assume that also like SWSH you get a bunch of TRs and exp candies and blah blah blah

i assume that also like SWSH you get a bunch of TRs and exp candies and blah blah blah
Well that's kind of a given.

Though tbh I don't mind that part, I kinda like the way TRs work, I do agree they kinda break the game since you get access to endgame moves basically as soon as you are able to do raids in SwSh, and probably that'll be the case as well in SV, but quickly stomping a couple raids is definitely a better ""price"" to pay than having to BP grind for tutors if you ask me.

Well that's kind of a given.

Though tbh I don't mind that part, I kinda like the way TRs work, I do agree they kinda break the game since you get access to endgame moves basically as soon as you are able to do raids in SwSh, and probably that'll be the case as well in SV, but quickly stomping a couple raids is definitely a better ""price"" to pay than having to BP grind for tutors if you ask me.
Any feeling I'd have for TRs went out the window when they put all the good moves from TM to TR to do grind in a mode I hated playing

I wonder how movepool transfers are going to work this gen. Was the Gen 8 move revamp set supposed to be Galar specific like the Pokedex, or are those moves gone for good? Will we see just those moves stay out, or yet more removed for Gen 9 (particularly if they have concerns about how some might play with Terastalize, be it balance or just spaghetti code)?

I also remember talking a bit, might have missed discussion earlier in this thread: how will Pokemon with Type changing abilities or moves function? Like, what happens if I Terastalize a Libero Cinderace from a Fire type to a Grass Type, and then use a Fire move again. Does Cinderace go back to being Fire while it's on the field (Grass I assume becoming its "Default" type for switching out and in)? Does Tera prevent it from assuming any other type regardless of other mechanics? How would Tera "Super STAB" interact with the type change if I did something like go Fighting w/ HJK, and then Tera into a Fighting type there?

This is all assuming GF doesn't just throw their hands up and Dexit the mons with Type-Changing access until they throw out Terastalizing for Gen 10's gimmick (plus pruning moves that allow type changing like Conversion or Reflect Type).

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
I also remember talking a bit, might have missed discussion earlier in this thread: how will Pokemon with Type changing abilities or moves function? Like, what happens if I Terastalize a Libero Cinderace from a Fire type to a Grass Type, and then use a Fire move again. Does Cinderace go back to being Fire while it's on the field (Grass I assume becoming its "Default" type for switching out and in)? Does Tera prevent it from assuming any other type regardless of other mechanics? How would Tera "Super STAB" interact with the type change if I did something like go Fighting w/ HJK, and then Tera into a Fighting type there?

This is all assuming GF doesn't just throw their hands up and Dexit the mons with Type-Changing access until they throw out Terastalizing for Gen 10's gimmick (plus pruning moves that allow type changing like Conversion or Reflect Type).
I think it's more likely they'll just pull a Dynamax and make any type-changing effects not work with a Terstallized mon to avoid any headaches with it.

I wonder how movepool transfers are going to work this gen. Was the Gen 8 move revamp set supposed to be Galar specific like the Pokedex, or are those moves gone for good? Will we see just those moves stay out, or yet more removed for Gen 9 (particularly if they have concerns about how some might play with Terastalize, be it balance or just spaghetti code)?
I'm guessing the bulk of those moves are just gone for good. BDSP & LA only brought the "needed" ones back for the most part, and a lot of the other moves are just...bad and not bringing them back is probably for the best.
Maybe they'll bring back a few others that they deem interesting enough to dedicate time they missed out on, but who knows.

Aside from the "this signature move doesnt have it associated pokemon" scenarios I dunno if they'll bother doing more cuts. I guess it depends on their time of development. Though...I wouldn't say no to them taking the time to go through and just throw out some random moves no one anywhere uses, not even the CPU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)