Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Ok so on a worldbuilding note, I've seen something pointed out that's rather uh, odd to put it lightly.

Now Game Freak likes to base the buildings of their regions on real life ones. This is no secret. Lumiose Tower is an obvious Eiffel Tower analogue, and most recently we got the Galaxy Hall in PLA being modeled after the former Hokkaido Government Building. As such, it would follow that the academy in SV would also have a real-world basis.

Here's the thing though. They didn't pick a Spanish school, or even some other public office. No, they picked the La Model Prison.

I'll let some choice lines from the linked article do the talking:
“Sometimes when a prisoner had complained about something, the guards would take them away at night time and whip them. Some died in the basements, and we could hear their screams”
“In the cells there was an iron bunk bed and another single bed,” explains Carlos, “with dirty mattresses; filthy, stuffed with straw, and full of insects... full of bedbugs. We had to set the beds on fire to try to kill the bedbugs, but then they would just climb the walls and fall from the ceiling instead”. “On top of that, they gave you a disgusting blanket,” says Carlos, “a military blanket, that was stiff because of so many people wanking on it”.

There's also one more part that really caught my eye in regards to the possibility of this being symbolic:
"For the political prisoners, their time in La Model was one of education, of training, and of reaffirming dedication to their causes. Some inmates nicknamed La Model ‘the Ideological Island’, as it was sometimes easier to discuss politics inside the prison than it was outside. This meant that when some prisoners came out of La Model, they would often emerge with their original views reinforced, as Gabriel tells me: “I wasn't a member of any party when I went to prison, but when I got out, I joined the Bandera Roja [a Spanish Communist Party].”

I don't know fully what to make of this.
I dunno....I guess there's some slight resemblances but the school feels just kind of...generic boarding school to me? You see a lot of it in footage, inside & out. Only in the most superficial ways does it kind of resemble the prison to me; and i have to be actively looking for it.
This gives me slight "Font in the Spaceworld beta is Hiroshima!" vibes of leaping to conclusions.

Like maybe it is? Right? We're still early on in the cycle here. Could be some dark secrets within, but as it stands? Eh....

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I dunno....I guess there's some slight resemblances but the school feels just kind of...generic boarding school to me? You see a lot of it in footage, inside & out. Only in the most superficial ways does it kind of resemble the prison to me; and i have to be actively looking for it.
This gives me slight "Font in the Spaceworld beta is Hiroshima!" vibes of leaping to conclusions.

Like maybe it is? Right? We're still early on in the cycle here. Could be some dark secrets within, but as it stands? Eh....
1659818205859.png

1659818209572.png

It's not in the same part of the map, which it feels like GF would have done if that was the intent. On the other hand, that's a pretty distinct layout.

Of course, could just be that schools and prisons happen to look alike.
I wound up looking up various schools and its very funny how often you land one that, if it were in a movie, you'd go "this is a bit on the nose"

Ok so on a worldbuilding note, I've seen something pointed out that's rather uh, odd to put it lightly.

Now Game Freak likes to base the buildings of their regions on real life ones. This is no secret. Lumiose Tower is an obvious Eiffel Tower analogue, and most recently we got the Galaxy Hall in PLA being modeled after the former Hokkaido Government Building. As such, it would follow that the academy in SV would also have a real-world basis.

Here's the thing though. They didn't pick a Spanish school, or even some other public office. No, they picked the La Model Prison.

I'll let some choice lines from the linked article do the talking:
“Sometimes when a prisoner had complained about something, the guards would take them away at night time and whip them. Some died in the basements, and we could hear their screams”
“In the cells there was an iron bunk bed and another single bed,” explains Carlos, “with dirty mattresses; filthy, stuffed with straw, and full of insects... full of bedbugs. We had to set the beds on fire to try to kill the bedbugs, but then they would just climb the walls and fall from the ceiling instead”. “On top of that, they gave you a disgusting blanket,” says Carlos, “a military blanket, that was stiff because of so many people wanking on it”.

There's also one more part that really caught my eye in regards to the possibility of this being symbolic:
"For the political prisoners, their time in La Model was one of education, of training, and of reaffirming dedication to their causes. Some inmates nicknamed La Model ‘the Ideological Island’, as it was sometimes easier to discuss politics inside the prison than it was outside. This meant that when some prisoners came out of La Model, they would often emerge with their original views reinforced, as Gabriel tells me: “I wasn't a member of any party when I went to prison, but when I got out, I joined the Bandera Roja [a Spanish Communist Party].”

I don't know fully what to make of this.
Obligatory reminder that Generalissimo Fransisco Franco is still dead

Koraidon not using its wheels feels like a deliberate inside joke among the designers that they found funny. It's almost certainly a weird Flintstones reference/joke that they took to the max and went through with it because they found it amusing.
Kiraidons nicknamed “The Flintsdons”
Miraidons nicknames “The Jetdons”
I’v got 5 minutes before I get arrested for making this post. Wish me luck.

Too eager to post this to read the 20 pages I haven't read yet:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...se-spoilers-check-post-2.3655568/post-8279788

Back in 2019 I predicted that something related to Hidden Power might happen in Gen IX given the pattern in the linked post. Hype!

Not that I knew what it really was, and I doubt we have confirmation that it is related to Hidden Power type, but I saw a couple of you mention it and thought I would revive this

Hi this my first time ever commenting in here but I just wanted to share how I think the new gimmick can make certain Pokémon broken. Pokémon with adaptability are going to be crazy this gen. (Ex porygon z) with adaptability and normal terra is going to get 2.5x stab if I did the math right). Then you have crawdaunt and basculegion who is going to also get 2.5x stab also but in rain it will go up to 3x if you add the water terra type to them! I can also seeing rain teams being threats this gen with a lot of them easily getting 3x stab boost just being in rain with water terra types.

Last edited:

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
You know, while Koraidon does look goofy in bike mode, I like it, as the "primitive" creature it wouldn't make sense for it to have an organ that hasn't evolved on any creature in nature like a functional wheel, having air sacks to help it move or intimidate that just happen to look like wheels is a nice way to make the design work, to some degree, as the bad reception means it could have been done better.
Yet, these new forms made me like Miraidon more, as is just looks way too cool in bike mode.

Hi this my first time ever commenting in here but I just wanted to share how I think the new gimmick can make certain Pokémon broken. Pokémon with adaptability are going to be crazy this gen. (Ex porygon z) with adaptability and normal terra is going to get 2.5x stab if I did the math right). Then you have crawdaunt and basculegion who is going to also get 2.5x stab also but in rain it will go up to 3x if you add the water terra type to them! I can also seeing rain teams being threats this gen with a lot of them easily getting 3x stab boost just being in rain with water terra types.
Currently we don’t know what Adaptability will do with the Terastallize mechanic.
In game, Adaptability just sets STAB to x2, not even as an equation (which otherwise would be a 1.5x(4/3)=2 or 1.5+0.5=2).
It will either just set the Super STAB to x2 (unchanged), have Super STAB become x2.67 (2x4/3 multiplier), have Super STAB be x2.5 (2+0.5 multiplier), or it has a special number to set Super STAB at.
We also technically don’t have confirmation on how much Super STAB will be, but being effectively Adaptability is the most likely guess.
But yeah, Porygon Z has insane damage output, but counterplay is stronger when any Pokemon can become Steel, Rock, or Ghost against Porygon Z if you are going to use Normal Tera type.
However, Porygon-Z likely will benefit more from using other STABs like Ghost, Electric, Ice, Dark, or Psychic.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
I get the feeling that with Dexit being a thing, they could also just opt to leave out the more problematic adaptability mons. PZ and Crawdaunt are scary but I think they're also just the extent of concerning adapt mons given the rest don't really have the stats for Sweeping. Dragalge could be a cool breaker but I think that's about it. Although having OU get shredded by Basculin of all things would be fucking hysterical lmao

Granted though, with the past/future theme of the game, I'd say Porygon being absent would be a bit weird

I get the feeling that with Dexit being a thing, they could also just opt to leave out the more problematic adaptability mons. PZ and Crawdaunt are scary but I think they're also just the extent of concerning adapt mons given the rest don't really have the stats for Sweeping. Dragalge could be a cool breaker but I think that's about it. Although having OU get shredded by Basculin of all things would be fucking hysterical lmao

Granted though, with the past/future theme of the game, I'd say Porygon being absent would be a bit weird
This!

One of the most entertaining parts of the prerelease period is everyone salivating over competitively busted possibilities, only for it to turn out that Game Freak sometimes actually has some awareness and has been known to exclude these things one way or another. Yes yes, Zacian most broken mon etc. etc., but its a legendary and GF apparently has no qualms making legendaries busted. But you know what we didn't get? Levitate Aegislash (pre steel nerf) or ghost/fairy Mismagius (both of which would have 4 immunities!) from XY, or Virtual Console No Guard Fissure Machamp.
If they don't implement a special interaction between adaptability and terastal, I would guess we might not see some of the more threatening adaptability mons in SV until DLC brings back legendaries and raises the power ceiling.

I mean, I could be wrong, but doesn't seem like something to worry too much about until we see a tera-Crawdaunt extinct a Toxapex in a trailer.

Realistically, Genesect or Pheromosa seem like the obvious actual broken contenders. Leave them Bug for most of the match(or all of it if you have to Tera something else), UTurn a lot, and then come in and swap to something silly to sweep once whatever defensive mon counters them has been weakened. Because they were clearly too predictable in previous gens and needed the help.

The fun one might not be Sun, but Rain. Yes, Fire Venusaur is excellent, but picture a standard Rain team, but with Pelipper and Barraskewda able to swap types. Pelipper can auto-win weather wars with an even better typing, while Barraskewda could swap types and live a counter attack in order to 2hko the only thing that could live it's hits. Neither is a great use of the ability, but I think they'd end up working better than a lot of the alternatives.

The fun one might not be Sun, but Rain. Yes, Fire Venusaur is excellent, but picture a standard Rain team, but with Pelipper and Barraskewda able to swap types. Pelipper can auto-win weather wars with an even better typing, while Barraskewda could swap types and live a counter attack in order to 2hko the only thing that could live it's hits. Neither is a great use of the ability, but I think they'd end up working better than a lot of the alternatives.
For VGC at least you would likely rather want to pick Water Tera Swift Swim Golduck/Drednaw to Terrastallize since both of those can pump out crazy damage and the team already has a nice core between Pelipper/Raichu(Pachi)/Golduck(Drednaw). You probably would actually want to go with Flying Tera for Pelipper on the off chance you would rather want to fire off even stronger Hurricanes over the boosted Swift Swimmer, however you would likely want one of the remaining 3 spots to be an alternate Terrastallization target in case sticking with the Boosted Swift Swimmer isn't a good option for your match-up.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Am I the only one who misheard the region's name as Pangea?
Well it does look like a dozen segments of different terrains was wedged next to each other around a caldera, like a continent pizza.

watch quagsire-p to not exist and be something else entirely (like how linoone-g and meowth-g got entirely new evolutions)
Well, yeah, as we know right now there's three ways this can go:

P-Wooper evolves into P-Quagsire and that's it.
P-Wooper evolves into P-Quagsire which goes on to evolve again.
P-Wooper evolves into a new evolution which replaces Quagsire.

Now Quagsire has a BST of 430 so there is room for a 3rd stage, but the main question is what new design can they pull for either a 3rd stage or alt evolution. Now already Bulbapedia has noted that since Paldea is based on the Iberian Peninsula, P-Wooper gills became bony protrusions (which is odd as bones are usually an internal thing), and the stomach design changed to look like ribs that P-Wooper might be based on a Iberian Ribbed Newt. The Iberian Ribbed Newt has a unique defense mechanism: it can force the tips of its ribs to push out from its sides and secrete a stinging poison (and then once safe retract its ribs and quickly heal, though it didn't harm itself too much due to the ribs coming through a bumpy part of its skin meant for the ribs to puncture from).

So knowing that, a possible alternate evolution for Quagsire could be based on a similar amphibian: the Hairy Frog. Though not found in the Iberian Peninsula (instead a bit further down in Central Africa), this frog also turned a part of its internal skeleton into a weapon: it can break the tips of the bones in its toes and push them through to use as claws (and then retract them & quickly heal with no major harm; BTW another nickname for this frog is the Wolverine Frog, take a guess why). I could totally see this being the basis, especially with the "hair" adding an additional unique visual and for this alt Quagsire them explaining it uses the hair to absorb water vapor to keep itself hydrated (which is a similar purpose of the "hair" on the male Hairy Frogs: they're essentially external gills to absorb oxygen from the water so they can guard the eggs the females lay in water).

i like how what seems to be the poke maniac has a pokestar studios t-shirt. neat detail
How does he not rub against those heads sticking out of his shirt... *Sees his sleeves clipping through his arm*... Ah, of course.

View attachment 444661
I don't quite see however how Z moves would fit in this, but otherwise it's pretty clear how they get the names
Zetta & Yotta are above Exa. Zetta is 10^21 and Yotta is 10^24.

Though, to be fair, the "Z" in Z-Moves has been specifically said to stand for "Zenith", so not exactly part of this power scale. Note "Dyna" ain't on there and that's technically the main name of the Galar phenomenon, Gigantamax is just a connected term.

though now it would feel awkward to have that predestined path if you evolve a Grass Eevee into Flareon when the whole point is that it has infinite potential.
It feels weird that there's a Tera Type Eevee that can (probably) evolve into something other than its type feels weird to me. Water or Grass type Flareon feels wrong... Water Jolteon sounds cool for rain though if it still gets Weather Ball.
But think about it:
  • Ground Vaporeon with Water Absorb (Loses Water weakness leaving Vaporeon only weak to Ice & Grass, both mainly Special leaning and Vaporeon's highest defense stat is Special Defense)
  • Water Jolteon with Volt Absorb (Loses Electric weakness leaving Jolteon only weak to Grass, it mainly Special leaning and Jolteon's highest defense stat is Special Defense)
  • Steel Flareon with Flash Fire (Loses Fire weakness leaving Flareon only weak to Ground & Fighting, which isn't the best weaknesses for it to have as those are more Physical moves which is Flareon's lowest defensive stat, but the sheer number of resistances it'll get instead I think would outweigh it)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Flareon with Guts & holding Flame Orb (Now that it can get rid of its Fire-typing, Flareon can get Burned which is the best status ailment for a Guts user. What Type you choose depends exactly on what Types you want to resist, while Steel is always a viable option, Flareon has a higher Special Defense stat meaning you'd want Types which weaknesses lean that way)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Espeon (High Special Defense so would want to focus on Types which weaknesses lean Special)
  • Fire/Rock Leafeon with Leaf Guard/Chlorophyll (Leafeon no longer needs to worry about a Fire Move while taking advantage of Sunny weather if it changes to a Type which resist Fire; Leafeon also has a high Defense stat so want Types with weaknesses that lean Physical)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Sylveon (High Special Defense so would want to focus on Types which weaknesses lean Special)
Also Umbreon and Glaceon are special cases as both have Abilities which don't really benefit from a certain Type and have high Defense AND Special Defense. They can pretty much run any Type with good defensive traits (small number of weaknesses, a lot of resistances, etc.).

Oh, and of course any the Typ+Ability combinations above I mentions works for any Pokemon with that Ability, though depending on where their stats lean in defense (or what coverage Move they learn) they may want another Type then the ones the Eeveelutions would want.

Personally, I just expect it to be one of the very many instances where Pokemon's badly written fantasy biology makes no sense.
d2lbdlx-de445fa9-18d9-45d9-b6db-be530ca160d5.png
I have a theory about Kangaskhan's strange reproduction.

Why is Dragonite's reflection everywhere, lmao. It's got some major three wolf moon energy. We're FLANKED ON ALL SIDES
What, you don't have pictures of yourself in your home? :blobwizard:

We're just going to ignore the double crowned Slowking?
Technically its the Shellder its wearing as a crown wearing the crystal crown. :blobnom:

How will this work with Zoroark? Will it look like you're Terastallizing the Pokemon you're disguised as or would it break the Illusion? What if Zoroark comes in after either they or the Pokemmon they're disguised as Terastallized?
Illusion copies a Mega Pokemon's appearance, so I would assume the same would be for Terastal.

As for Zoroark using Terastal, Illusion breaks when it uses a Z-Move or Dynamaxes, so I'd assume the same would happen when it Terastallizes.

I wouldn't count Sunflora just yet. AFAIK we only see a sculpture, but it has been the case that Pokémon that are not part of the regional dex are still referenced. (...) So a statue is not enough proof that the Pokémon will be in the game.
Paldea Sunflora: Yes, yes, I'm a *statue*. Keep not paying attention to me...

Note, the Sunflora statue interestingly resembles Sunflora's beta design which was also in a plant pot...

Like, idk... Dracovish or G-Darmanitan who'll get sent straight so ubers (if they're even in the game) :trode:
You thought Fishious Rend was scary? What about Fishous Rend but on steroids? :totodiLUL:
Well unless there's a Cara Liss in Paldea, we can hopefully bury the Galar fossils as the mistakes that they were.

"But what about the ones Ash and Goh has?"

You know Goh is going away at the end of this gen (probably to dedicate more on his quest to catch every single Pokemon). Meanwhile Ash's Dracovish is gonna be sent to Oak and vanish like all of other Ash's Pokemon after their gen.

But this quick anime joking around has made me wonder what they're gonna do in the Scarlet & Violet seasons. Like, they already had a "School Days" anime during Gen VII, are they going to do another one with Ash?

From the japanese website, a look at the amazon.jp preorder "Sports Backpack (Floral Pattern)" + a fork and spoon.
They're giving away a fork and spoon? :smogduck: The spoon as the Naranja (Orange) emblem and the fork has the Uva (Grapes) emblem. GF, don't know if you ever ate any of those fruit, but you don't use a spoon and fork. Like, why not just make the preorder bonuses patches of the two Academies you could then sew on you clothes or bag or something? You know, something you'd more likely show someone else (and not look like a weirdo).

...The more I think about it, the more I am hoping that the Super STAB multiplier isn't too crazy for Tera Mons. As it is now, that seems like it will be the go-to for every mon and it kinda blows in the creativity department.
Well then it's a good thing it's a one-use until you can recharge it.

I think Game Freak is portraying the legendary Pokémon wrongly.

Legendary Pokémon are a sight to behold. (...)

The fact that the legend of the legendary is unrelated to you in the big picture also helps when it comes to distinguish them. You are nobody. A dude that happens to be in the right place at the right time, fighting something greater than him. The main legendary is not just another ‘mon in your team, is a game accomplishment, a ‘mon that lends you its exceptional power as an extremely rare gift.
And who says that's not what Koraidon and Miraidon are doing? They sense some s*** is about to go down and they got to stop it, and they sensed this kid has the potential to help resolve the coming calamity... but they are no way going to be able to traverse the region quickly or efficiently and time is of the essence. So they decide to hitch you a ride, a combination of impatience and pity. Compared to them you are still a nobody, and it's gonna take the entire game to be worthy to actually use them in battle instead of begging them to ride them.

Now, in this games I think that, again, we are too much of the protagonist here. One thing is that, from a playable perspective, you are able to show any Pokémon you have to players online. It’s the same thing when you engage in a trade or a battle; it doesn’t matter if you have 3 boxes of Shiny Groudon, this is for the sake of the playable environment. But one thing completely different is when that vision infects the main story of the game. To me, it seems ridiculous that a guy is, from the get go to make things worse, riding a legendary Pokémon through the entirety of a region, a region in which they are probably considered saviors, heroes, tale legends or representatives of some sort. “Ey, look at that guy traveling in Miraidon”.
Or it puts a target on your back. "What makes YOU so special that the Legendaris let you ride them? Maybe if I beat you the Legendaries will change their mind and make me their rider!".

Or gives you unwanted attention. "WHA? IS THAT THE LEGENDARY POKEMON?! How is it that you can ride it? You don't know, it just let you out-of-the-blue? They just don't let anyone ride them, there HAS to be a reason! Hey, where are you going?! I and my colleagues aren't done with you!".

Or, maybe no one knows what Koraidon and Miraidon are. Or at least the common folk. Maybe people know of legends of two dragon(?) Pokemon that protect the region or something, but even if they believe its true they're not going to believe they just suddenly partnered with a kid, let alone letting them ride on their back! "But doesn't that mean to the people these are new species of Pokemon"? I have a feeling new species of Pokemon are being discovered all the time, or rather just like in real life you don't know every single animal that exists and just because you never seen it before doesn't mean no one else has. "Oh, what an interesting Pokemon! Reminds me of my Gogoat, nothing like riding on a back of a Pokemon to get place faster. Huh? Legendary? Oh sure, if that's the case you and your valiant steed better get to that castle where the evil wizard is awiating for you, ha ha ha!".

This doesn’t happen in the games because they don’t reinforce the narrative to this extent, but you know, you sure KNOW, that if you were to use that Ho-Oh in battle against an NPC, that NPC would be left speechless either asking himself what Pokémon is that or trying to accept that what their eyes are seeing is the truth, because in the context of the Pokémon world it would’ve similar, and I’m not exaggerating, to suddenly see Christ nice and clear.
And then we have trainers like Peony who showing him every single Legendary doesn't really phase him as he makes general comments about them right in there face. Someone used to have a video of every single one but it was taken down.

So, why don’t the guy start as a no-name, a random with a Weedle that eventually has things his way, and instead feels like a privileged boy with access to a creature of legend from the very beginning. I don’t really like what it conveys.
Well in Pokemon you've actually always been a "privileged" person. Gen I your family was friends with a renown Pokemon Professor who tasks you with filling the Dex and gives you a Starter. Gen II you once again also know the region's Professor you entrusts you with a Starter and showing the previous game's renown Professor an unknown Pokemon Egg. Gen III you're a child of a Gym Leader and family friends with the Professor. Gen IV you're a child of a former Pokemon Contest star and you have a chance encounter with the Professor who takes a liking to you and gives you your Starter & Dex. Gen V both player's mom in BW & B2W2 were friends with the Professor. Gen VI your mom is a famous Rhyhorn Rider and quickly make friends with kids who were chosen by the Professor to help him. Gen VII your family is friends with the Professor (I think? Like one reason you come to Alola is because the Professor invited you) and you make quick friends with the grandson of the island's Kahuna. Gen VIII your family is friends with the CHAMPION. And now in Gen IX, one of the reasons your privileged is because the Legendary has chosen you to ride it around. If anything it's a nice change of pace the reason your special isn't because of who you know but because the Legendary went "hey, stupid, help me save the region".

Here what I suspect the legend’s base stats are gonna look like (it’s probably at least a little obvious but I’m throwing it out here anyways):
Koraidon: 100/150/150/80/110/90
Miraidon: 90/80/110/150/150/100
I feel its way to early to try doing this as we haven't seen them even battle.

Plus you gave Pokemon who are about fast traversal 90 and 100 base Speed? :blobthinking:

Um, are you sure? I've yet to comb the map myself and make any geological conclusions, but it would be very questionable at the very least if GF base what in the game is presented on a university on a real life prison where bad things went down. :psynervous:

I hope Koraidon doubles down on the running when it powers up
Get this large majestic lizard and now it's just doing the wheelbarrow position as it runs around to somehow go faster
Actually it does bipedal.

Hi this my first time ever commenting in here
Welcome to Smogon! :bloblul:

And caught up with comments! Tomorrow I'll look at the map and maybe closer look at the trailer. If this thread is still up after that, maybe see if GamExplain videos have anything in those videos that says that I've missed like a dozen things. :blobthinking:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
But think about it:
  • Ground Vaporeon with Water Absorb (Loses Water weakness leaving Vaporeon only weak to Ice & Grass, both mainly Special leaning and Vaporeon's highest defense stat is Special Defense)
  • Water Jolteon with Volt Absorb (Loses Electric weakness leaving Jolteon only weak to Grass, it mainly Special leaning and Jolteon's highest defense stat is Special Defense)
  • Steel Flareon with Flash Fire (Loses Fire weakness leaving Flareon only weak to Ground & Fighting, which isn't the best weaknesses for it to have as those are more Physical moves which is Flareon's lowest defensive stat, but the sheer number of resistances it'll get instead I think would outweigh it)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Flareon with Guts & holding Flame Orb (Now that it can get rid of its Fire-typing, Flareon can get Burned which is the best status ailment for a Guts user. What Type you choose depends exactly on what Types you want to resist, while Steel is always a viable option, Flareon has a higher Special Defense stat meaning you'd want Types which weaknesses lean that way)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Espeon (High Special Defense so would want to focus on Types which weaknesses lean Special)
  • Fire/Rock Leafeon with Leaf Guard/Chlorophyll (Leafeon no longer needs to worry about a Fire Move while taking advantage of Sunny weather if it changes to a Type which resist Fire; Leafeon also has a high Defense stat so want Types with weaknesses that lean Physical)
  • Steel/Dragon/Ghost/Water Sylveon (High Special Defense so would want to focus on Types which weaknesses lean Special)
Also Umbreon and Glaceon are special cases as both have Abilities which don't really benefit from a certain Type and have high Defense AND Special Defense. They can pretty much run any Type with good defensive traits (small number of weaknesses, a lot of resistances, etc.).

Oh, and of course any the Typ+Ability combinations above I mentions works for any Pokemon with that Ability, though depending on where their stats lean in defense (or what coverage Move they learn) they may want another Type then the ones the Eeveelutions would want.
I didn't mean that Water Flareon felt wrong from a game play standpoint. (Although I'm saying it now because I think there's better types for Flareon.) The idea of Flareon becoming a Water type just sounds wrong from a lore standpoint. As for Guts Flareon, the only moves of any of the types you listed are Iron Tail and Shadow Ball. There might be a Physical TeraSTAB move, but even then, I'd go with Normal for Facade. (Actually, I'd go with a Pokemon you don't need to always use your Tera on like Ursaluna It really sucks to be Flareon.) The same goes for Fire or Rock Leafeon.

With talking about what Pokemon can use Terastal the best defensively or offensively, I think it'd be interesting to talk about the Pokemon that can use it for both at the same time. For offense, I'm guessing it's best if you buff your STAB, so using it defensively too would mean losing a secondary type that can hurts more than it helps, like Dragonite, Tyranitar, Vivillon, pretty much every other Bug type that isn't Bug/Steel or maybe Bug/Posion. Coalossal being x2 weak to Water should make up for not having Gigantamax's HP doubling, so I think Weakness Policy Steam Engine is still going to be a thing in SV Doubles.

Oh, this is just Defense, but Blissey is back. Have fun making her resist Fighting attacks. >:D Fairy and Ghost are the obvious choice for that, but the Poison type looks good for the poison status condition immunity if your team don't mind the extra Ground weakness.

Sorry to cut your dreams, but Porygon line has been confirmed to be absent of the games by the leaks.
I know we're not supposed to talk about the leaks here, but do you have a link? I haven't seen them yet and I can't resist spoilers.

Also, give us our Special Attacking OHKO on Blissey you cowards! :P

I don't know if Avalugg will be in Gen 9, but if it is, Terastallizing into a Fairy would be great for since it would lose its Stealth Rock weakness and have many crucial resistances that would be good to have for something with the physical bulk it has. The pure Ice typing it has has always been crippling for it.
Avalugg is definitely in a position to be Physical Blissey at least, and can use a lot of different types, which I did mention before but will state again with more insight and reasoning.

Steel: Because it’s Steel. The most defining mono type in the game. So much so that Fighting and Fire went from Garbage to Essential coverage for most Pokemon. It also resists Steel and Rock for Avalugg, and is immune to Poison.

Poison: One of the typings that resists Fighting in the game, and additionally is immune to Toxic. Poison also maintains a lot of benefits that Steel has, like Fairy, Grass, and Bug resistances as well. Additionally again, Toxic ignores accuracy if you’re part Poison too.

Fairy: Like with Poison, it resists Fighting, which is great for Avalugg, but isn’t immune to Poison and is still weak to Steel. Still great defensively since you are immune to Draco Meteor, and you resist Knock Off and U-turn.

Ghost: Straight up immune to Fighting and Normal, resists U-turn, and resists Poison. You’re are only weak to 2 types that are honestly nearly identical offensively. You can also escape from traps as well. If you also wanted to, you can Curse normally, then use Ghost Curse after changing types.

Water: Also one of the best defensive types, and great because it resists both Steel and Fire while being neutral to Fighting and Rock. You also make Avalugg way better against Rain teams as most Rain Pokemon are physical attackers.

Ground: Overall a great type defensively, but also offensively too. Probably the best (in general, not for Avalugg) type overall all things considered. It makes Avalugg immune to the common special Electric attacks and also gives it STAB Earthquake, which is great since it has Ice coverage for Grass and Flying.

Fire: Similar to Water, you resist Steel and Fire, and additionally resists Grass and Bug, but still have a Stealth Rock weakness.

Dragon: Yet another Fire resist, but also resisting Water, Grass, and Electric.

Fighting: Not only do you resist Rock now, but you also give Avalugg Body Press STAB, and you additionally get Dark resistance as well.

Flying: Fighting resist that is immune to Ground is great, even if it is still Stealth Rock weak.

Plus you gave Pokemon who are about fast traversal 90 and 100 base Speed? :blobthinking:
Escavalier exists.

Game.

Set.

And Match.

In all seriousness, we’ve already got Wyrdeer (base 65 Speed), Basculegion (base 78 Speed) and Braviary-H (base 80 Speed). Also, it’s right around Sharpedo (base 95) and Charizard (base 100).

Also just because Ubers has a slower overall Speed tier doesn’t necessarily mean 90 base Speed is particularly slow.

This is the stark grim possibility that I've been trying to blissfully ignore. But, its very true. Recover, Haze, Scald - nothing is really guaranteed to carry over. There certainly aren't a lot of Poison pokemon that get Recover, only Toxapex I think. I'm imagining this thing will probably get a new unique move - probably Poison - too, so hopefully that turns out to be actually useful over our other options.
I think Recover is more likely than Scald. Generally Pokemon with recover tend to have some regenerative abilities like starfish. And I'd assume the salamander it's based on should have similar regenerative capabilities to the Japanese giant salamander that forms the basis of Quagsire

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)