Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Seeing the match between Ash vs Leon in the anime, it made me realize a problem that GF is going to have for now on, something which I don't think they thought ahead on.

Leon was introduced to us as the GREATEST Champion of all time. Undefeatable. A hero to all the people in Galar. He's essentially what the player character is but as an NPC. And when Rose is arrested and the player takes the Champion title, Leon becomes the Galar League Chairman. Cool, interesting idea, execution is questionable but Leon is pretty genuine in his role.

And now we've moved onto the next gen and have been introduced to the next Champion: Geeta. Alright... so... is she supposed to be the strongest trainer ever now? Yeah, you see the problem now, when you introduced the GREATEST Champion of all time, any other Champion you now introduce is gonna need to stand out in another way ASIDE from being a good trainer. And Geeta's twist is that... she's the chairman of the Paldea League... so she's really no different from Leon in that regard aside she's at the moment holding both positions (though with how involved Leon was with the League and how close he was to Rose you could say Leon was always just one step away from being the Chairman).

Now, SV has the Treasure Hunt/3 Story thing going on so it may not be that big of an issue this gen (or at the very least something they could sideline), but in future games I'm curious what they're going to do with the Champion. Because they can't just have the Champion he just a relatively normal person who's a strong trainer, they've raised the stakes with Leon and only re-enforced it with Geeta.

Am I thinking too much on something which may not matter or be that big of an issue? Maybe, but as I said it was just a thought I had watching the Ash vs Leon battle. To put it another way, no matter the result of that battle, would you be interested in seeing a Ash vs Geeta battle?

And now we've moved onto the next gen and have been introduced to the next Champion: Geeta. Alright... so... is she supposed to be the strongest trainer ever now? Yeah, you see the problem now, when you introduced the GREATEST Champion of all time, any other Champion you now introduce is gonna need to stand out in another way ASIDE from being a good trainer. And Geeta's twist is that... she's the chairman of the Paldea League... so she's really no different from Leon in that regard aside she's at the moment holding both positions (though with how involved Leon was with the League and how close he was to Rose you could say Leon was always just one step away from being the Chairman).
Welcome to Dragon Ball, where every other episode there's a new "Strongest warrior in the universe" that noone has heard of before.

I've been thinking more about the special pair of Donphan, and not only does it feel like they're being treated as legendaries (which is already weird for a variant of a non-legendary Pokemon) but they're being treated as cover legendaries. Like, if this was a normal Pokemon game and Arven was the main deuteragonist, then Great Tusk and Iron Treads would be on the covers of Scarlet and Violet. It makes me feel like maybe the reason Koraidon and Miraidon feel so... unglamorous and taken for granted compared to past cover legendaries is because they're sharing the spotlight with three sets of "cover" "legendaries", one for each of the three plotlines.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Welcome to Dragon Ball, where every other episode there's a new "Strongest warrior in the universe" that noone has heard of before.
To be fair, the issue in Dragon Ball isn't exactly the antagonist but the protagonist. Goku & gang always comes out stronger than the main baddie at the end of each saga, usually accompanied by a power-up. As long as they make more DB stories they need to keep making the villains stronger or else Goku & gang would just defeat them in their first encounter (the most recent arc sort of lampshaded this by having the initial antagonist of it gather another planet's Dragon Balls to wish he was as strong as the Earth Saiyans).

But in Pokemon that didn't need to happen. Had they just said Leon was the strongest trainer in Galar, never having lost a battle, it wouldn't have raised the stakes and still reflect Leon being an older NPC version of the player. The protag is always a new trainer so there's no previous power levels to worry about. And that when when the next gen rolled around and introduced the next Champion we wouldn't be left thinking "but the last Champion was the greatest of all time"; Geeta is the strongest Champion of Paldea, and that's that, no comparison to Leon.

The power of anime seasonal story telling is you can just passively move power levels up & down and not care a lot about what came before if you just don't want to.
True, Geeta is still the Champion of Paldea and while playing SV will be judged on her own merit in SV. If anything is more just a bigger scale issue, like I remember back in BW that Cynthia would mention how every once in a while all the Champions would gather to see who's the strongest, something we got to see in B2W2. It was a bit of neat worldbuilding... which now sort of falls apart as now we know if Leon ever competes in that he would win. Heck, if not canon in the games they made it canon in the anime.

Now I'm not saying there's a way of writing around Leon being the ex-strongest Champion to make future Champion's interesting, just that I don't feel the Champion can't just be a really good trainer and that's really it to their character (at least not for a while). They're going to need a little bit extra, maybe be involved with the story more, like maybe they're also a secret agent or they can finally do the villain Champion angle.

Like I said, the text of Pokemon has always been violent, but the grisly acts are never actually shown on-screen.
Now I'm wondering if that's a similar principle to how you can get away with basically anything in a children's book. You would never get away with the violence in Animorphs on-screen. Anyway...

It makes me feel like maybe the reason Koraidon and Miraidon feel so... unglamorous and taken for granted compared to past cover legendaries is because they're sharing the spotlight with three sets of "cover" "legendaries", one for each of the three plotlines.
That, and as I said earlier, they're portrayed in such a mundane fashion in the gameplay trailers.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, heads up, people who REALLY want to avoid spoilers may want to stay away from gaming news sites like Kotaku cause they're spoiling a new Pokemon that would have been a surprise (there also have been quite a few articles teasing about the Starter Evos). Not going to spoil anymore than this, but if you want to avoid all forms of Scarlet & Violet spoilers may want to limit the gaming sites visits until you've played through the game. :facepalm:

If you're that curious on what the new Pokemon is but don't want to know full details you can send me a dm and I'll be vague about it (I also saw a quick glimpse of one of the Starter evos, one many were curious about; if you know you know and I can confirm/deny the worries).

So, heads up, people who REALLY want to avoid spoilers may want to stay away from gaming news sites like Kotaku cause they're spoiling a new Pokemon that would have been a surprise (there also have been quite a few articles teasing about the Starter Evos). Not going to spoil anymore than this, but if you want to avoid all forms of Scarlet & Violet spoilers may want to limit the gaming sites visits until you've played through the game. :facepalm:

If you're that curious on what the new Pokemon is but don't want to know full details you can send me a dm and I'll be vague about it (I also saw a quick glimpse of one of the Starter evos, one many were curious about; if you know you know and I can confirm/deny the worries).
To be fair, from what i've noticed lately, if one wants to stay "spoiler free" it's a good moment to shut down the internets cause on all socials i'm seeing trolls purposely posting spoilers below the official posts, on top of obviously plenty of youtubers making videos about the leaks which WILL be in your suggested feed.

For a moment I wondered if MrHands' previous post was about the Pokémon that Wordle was being vague about. Also, when I mentioned leaks the other day, it was as a warning. I don't know what any of the leaked Pokémon look like; I unsubscribed from the Pokémon thread on Zelda Universe and my Twitter timeline mainly consists of dunking on Elon Musk.

Anyway, I considered pre-ordering Violet from the Nintendo UK website yesterday, only to realise that it would take 3-4 days to deliver AFTER the release date to be delivered... it'd be quicker to buy it in person, if GAME doesn't do that annoying thing where they have a the boxes on display but you can't buy the actual games. My Switch is running low on storage space, so I don't want to download it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
For a moment I wondered if MrHands' previous post was about the Pokémon that Wordle was being vague about.
Nah, it was just a random name, I can barely recall it even.

Anyway, I considered pre-ordering Violet from the Nintendo UK website yesterday, only to realise that it would take 3-4 days to deliver AFTER the release date to be delivered... it'd be quicker to buy it in person, if GAME doesn't do that annoying thing where they have a the boxes on display but you can't buy the actual games. My Switch is running low on storage space, so I don't want to download it.
That stinks, I ordered it via US Amazon which is doing it on release. Yeah, I could go to GameStop and get it right away, but I used if being able to obtain the last few Event Pokemon Giveaways they were given as a final test. If they had at least one, I would had preordered the games right on the spot. But they had neither, so they don't get my money.

Are there any showdown servers running the SV mons? Or still not yet?
I think that's gonna be a while before it happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)