Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Just noticed something that's actually kind of funny

View attachment 445006

Miraidon is hovering. By all means its technically also not using the wheels for much lmfao
it does, however, spin the wheels!

Actually I wonder if its meant to actually be riding along the ground because in most shots you can't tell its hovering and just kind of....feels like a development "cheat" they'd use...

e: Actually I think it's exactly that. It's not actually hovering: you can see it kick up dirt in line with the tires in other footage.

I wonder how quickly you access soaring and surfing in the game. Is it like BOTW, where you just have to complete the shrines to the all the gear and then you are ready to go? Or will it be a linear approach like in all Pokémon games. I’m hoping for the former, because the variety of Pokémon you can catch will be huge compared to the latter, assuming you there is no obnoxious Lv cap like in SwSh.

Adaptability mons might end up eating well this Gen, potentially getting a 2x boost from a new type gain from its Tera form, or a 2.5x boost from using a Tera type from its original typing. Tera-Dark Crawdaunt Knock Off, anyone? How about a Tera-Dragon Draco Meteor from Dragalge, or a Tri Attack, from Tera-Normal PZ?

I’m also really excited for Paldean Wooper’s evolution. It has all of the defensive qualities of Nidoqueen (Fairy-, Fighting-, and [Stealth] Rock-resist, Electric immunity, Toxic Spikes absorber, Toxic Immunity) and adds a Water (and by extension, Scald) immunity on top of it with Water Absorb. It’s still up in the air if it’ll have Recover, though. We all thought Obstagoon was going to get Belly Drum + Extreme Speed like its Hoenn counterpart, but that ended up not being the case. If not, I think Pooper’s Evo will still make for a nice pivot with all of those qualities compressed into one mon.

I'm sorry but this is even worse than the post I originally quoted.

EDIT: On the subject of SV's open-worldedness (making a mental note to never call it that again), I'm excited that it seems to be fairly ambitious? I was expecting the bare minimum, like having Gyms 2-7 be challengeable in any order with very little else adapted to accommodate the change (beyond adding some more anti-grinding features to streamline everything). Having multiple 'storylines' to go through could be a pretty neat and refreshing approach, although execution is critical for this to work and that has not been Pokemon's strength in recent gens.
Just gonna put it out there that there have always been a couple storylines in every pokemon game, usually split between the gym challenge, fighting the evil team/getting to the boxlegends and completing the pokedex (occasionally there's a distraction like contests in RSE/DP, which did have a whole story and characters added in ORAS with Lisia). They just tend to have their story beats interwoven so you eventually clear the league/beat the badguys/etc at around the main game's climax (optionally completing the pokedex and winning ribbons can happen any time post game as well, but hey)

Seems like SV wants to try breaking up those typical game arcs so they're less dependent on each other in the main game.

Didn't realize valuing character design was "insufferable" and even more ironic is insulting a people that made a game franchise you're on a forum dedicated to.
1. I am japanese
2. I think the designs are ugly I'm just not stupid enough to use wokeness and get cranky over gay people about it. You see I actually have a brain and can criticize designs for their colors and shapes and fashion.
3. L + Ratio or whatever the kids say

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Just noticed something that's actually kind of funny

View attachment 445006

Miraidon is hovering. By all means its technically also not using the wheels for much lmfao
this is just the same problem that's been present since SWSh that they cannot fix for the life of em. character models not actually touching the ground and just hover-walking everywhere has bothered me so much, it's also weird how few people actually notice it despite how obvious it is once you see it.

this is just the same problem that's been present since SWSh that they cannot fix for the life of em. character models not actually touching the ground and just hover-walking everywhere has bothered me so much, it's also weird how few people actually notice it despite how obvious it is once you see it.
For me I just notice and then forget about it. Notice again, go "oh yeah lmaooo" and then forget about it again. Of course, I have amnesia issues which might influence it, but at least for me its not obvious enough to keep remembering it. Mostly because you don't look at your model a lot, more so what's in front of them, so anything a bit smaller gets unfocused on

THe only time I notice hoverfeet is when they don't anchor the animation properly, like with dynamaxing. Compare how someone like Urshifu-Rapid has their idle normally then compare the same thing to when it's dynamaxed.

I think Game Freak is portraying the legendary Pokémon wrongly.

Legendary Pokémon are a sight to behold. They exist way prior to your arrival to the region and are often deemed as extremely rare. These characteristics tend to be even more extreme in the case of version cover legendaries. For a normal human, seeing a legendary for a brief moment is something that can happen once in a lifetime and only if you are lucky enough. Ho-Oh, for example, had an entire folklore constructed upon centuries of myths regarding its existence.

This empathizes the feeling that, often, legendaries are ancient creatures to some way related to the very essence of the world you are living in. That’s why, while mentioned, you keep asking to yourself: what is Ho-Oh? What is Lugia? Where are they? How are they? What about Groudon, Kyogre, or Rayquaza? What about Mewtwo? This extrange, incredibly powerful creature you find in a remote cave or somewhere else, only after having proved yourself as worthy upon player progression. And although you've already been inevitably spoiled in the cover art of the Pokémon box, you still have plenty of doubts concerning the specifics of your first meeting.

The fact that the legend of the legendary is unrelated to you in the big picture also helps when it comes to distinguish them. You are nobody. A dude that happens to be in the right place at the right time, fighting something greater than him. The main legendary is not just another ‘mon in your team, is a game accomplishment, a ‘mon that lends you its exceptional power as an extremely rare gift.

I loved when the latitwins were roamers. They had 0 relation with the main character; Pokémon of legend, as they say. You were having fun and then oh shit, it’s Lati@s, as your heart suddenly accelerated with excitement, knowing it could be the last time you saw it for a long time. In Pokémon Emerald, something similar happens. When you reach Sky Pillar in order to ask for Rayquaza’s help, you don’t even stablish interaction with it; it just flies immediately to fulfill its duty, leaving you watching.

Now, in this games I think that, again, we are too much of the protagonist here. One thing is that, from a playable perspective, you are able to show any Pokémon you have to players online. It’s the same thing when you engage in a trade or a battle; it doesn’t matter if you have 3 boxes of Shiny Groudon, this is for the sake of the playable environment. But one thing completely different is when that vision infects the main story of the game. To me, it seems ridiculous that a guy is, from the get go to make things worse, riding a legendary Pokémon through the entirety of a region, a region in which they are probably considered saviors, heroes, tale legends or representatives of some sort. “Ey, look at that guy traveling in Miraidon”.

It’s like… no? When you get to fight Ho-Oh, you know you are in the mid of an exceptional event. In fact, almost no one knows about your battle against it. What am I saying? No one apart from the kimono girls and the sages is even sure of its existence at this point, most have already mixed legend with reality. This doesn’t happen in the games because they don’t reinforce the narrative to this extent, but you know, you sure KNOW, that if you were to use that Ho-Oh in battle against an NPC, that NPC would be left speechless either asking himself what Pokémon is that or trying to accept that what their eyes are seeing is the truth, because in the context of the Pokémon world it would’ve similar, and I’m not exaggerating, to suddenly see Christ nice and clear.

So, why don’t the guy start as a no-name, a random with a Weedle that eventually has things his way, and instead feels like a privileged boy with access to a creature of legend from the very beginning. I don’t really like what it conveys.
This is Mewtwo. It's the most powerful Pokemon, created by a team of scientists that carved apart the genome of the first Pokemon.

These are Ho-oh / Lugia. Centuries old spirits the size of fighter jets that have overwhelming elemental powers.

Here we have Groudon / Kyogre / Rayquaza. Avatars of earth / water / sky. Capable of terraforming the world in their own image.

These are Dialga / Palkia / Arceus. Gods of space / time / all of creation.

Look at Zekrom and Reshiram, embodiment of the balance found in all of existence.

Then there are Xerneas and Yveltal. Avatars of life and death.

Also we have Solageo and Lunala. Godlike essence of the Sun and Moon.

Here are Koraidon and Miraidon. They're lizards that turn into a car.

Edit: I forgot gen 8 was a thing. Here's two dogs.

Last edited:

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
With 95% of what we even know about the other legendaries being through in-game events and lore dumps, I think its really unwise to just write these legendaries off just because you meet them earlier in the game than usual. And even so, a lot of the legendaries we do have aren't particularly deities (You could really argue that the only ones that come close to actual deity status being gen 4 ones with gen 3 being the second strongest lowerwise - literally every other boxart legendary is not necessarily more extraordinary than just being a really powerful mon)

Stuff like Yveltal, Ho-Oh, Zekrom, Solgaleo or Zamazenta are for all intents and purposes just really strong mons so I don't see why Koraidon and Miraidon seemingly not having any huge ability would be somehow a step down in power from previous legendaries. And again, we literally know nothing about them so far and will 100% get more about their lore and capabilities through in-game text, so judging their legendary status right now doesn't really make any sense.

Same thing for meeting them early in your journey. In Gen 7 and in Legends we meet Tapu Koko, Nebby and Arceus very early on and it makes sense within game context. I'm sure SV will have its own cultural justification on why these mons are inclined to help the player out. And i think its also important to bring up two other things regarding them:

Firstly, we're having a split path of three different plots, each presumably with their own climax. We usually meet the legendary at the climax of the games but with this one having a split path, they probably didn't want to limit the legendaries to one specific path

Second, most legendaries nowadays have some sort of stronger secondary form, and while I don't necessarily expect Kora and Mira to have an alternate form, they could easily have the ones we know right now be the form we see for most of the game and later on, at the point where we would usually meet the legendaries in previous games, we meet the stronger versions of the Raidons instead.

All of this to say, idt complaining about how the legendaries are being handled really holds any weight because we're very obviously not seeing the full picture

Second, most legendaries nowadays have some sort of stronger secondary form, and while I don't necessarily expect Kora and Mira to have an alternate form, they could easily have the ones we know right now be the form we see for most of the game and later on, at the point where we would usually meet the legendaries in previous games, we meet the stronger versions of the Raidons instead.
They kind of already do. When you first meet them in the trailer, they're not as "powered up"

Likewise they still look about the same as this throughout most of the trailer, even when they're riding around

but you can tell they're missing a lot of detail

Koraidon's headdress isn't as elaborate

Miraidon isn't as "electric"/glowy

There's a part later in the trailer where they seem to be "powering up" into their box art states, too

They kind of already do. When you first meet them in the trailer, they're not as "powered up"

Likewise they still look about the same as this throughout most of the trailer, even when they're riding around

but you can tell they're missing a lot of detail

Koraidon's headdress isn't as elaborate

Miraidon isn't as "electric"/glowy

There's a part later in the trailer where they seem to be "powering up" into their box art states, too
Gen 7 introduced Legendaries and Mythicals with Pre-evolutions.
What I think this is that Koraidon and Miraidon have something similar going on with what Carbink and Diancie, but taking the same Pokedex number.
You Either encounter a Xenomorph Queen style versions of Kira and Mira, or you get a Key item that lets you transform them into the forms you see in the art.
Both cases, ideally will see you time travel in the story (hopefully more than just glorified hallway) to get them.

Gotta love when people use unwritten rules to make mountains out of molehills. If having a mascot legendary turn into a motorcycle makes for more fun gameplay, then bring it the fuck on. Oh, and people whom charlatans garner cheap political points off of pretending don't exist do in fact exist; deal with it.

Anyway, now I finally have time to post some thoughts, so here we go:

New Pokemon:
Cetitan: Personally, I would have liked to see it add Normal or Steel to its typing, but its design is pretty awesome. Might use it on my initial team.
Fidough: A dog made out of bread... I think it's all right, but I liked Alcremie better personally.
Paldean Wooper: The skull and crossbones vibe I get from its new gills is off the charts. I think I'm calling the first one I catch "Jolly Roger" just for that reason. And hopefully it'll retain that when it evolves... please?

Other things:
Terastallizing/Tera Raid Battles: Changing types sounds pretty fun; I have a feeling I'm going to like these more than Max Raid Battles.
Paldea region: Wow, this place looks huge. And that crater in the center seems especially intriguing. Wouldn't surprise me if any sort of climax involving the Legends ends up being there.

That was about the lowest effort vid I've ever seen and I can't believe I'm about to reply to this

From my understanding, Japanese culture is traditionally very xenophobic; it felt to me like most of the posts he linked there either fell into this line of thinking or were simply complaining that none of the chars revealed turned the poster on.

There's also, you know, confirmation bias; we don't get to read any other posts that aren't on this specific topic and we don't know what percentage of posts involved complaining about the human designs. For all we know, it's a very small portion.

Can't believe I'm watching anyone under the age of 50 using the term woke unironically to describe any aspect of a piece of media's design.

I think all of the children characters so far look like ugly PBS cartoon people and most of the adult characters look sort of off compared to the anime people we're use to in Pokemon. Its not a particularly hard opinion to articulate. Jumping to woke as a descriptor for something you don't like and giving vivid descriptors of a fantasy strawman is telling on yourself a bit too much. Maybe take a nice hard look at the social environments you're stooped in if people using that around you are the norm.

Also crediting random japanese folks posting on the internet for making Pokemon is like crediting 4chan posters for making Cyberpunk 2077.

--------

legendaries
It's for sure a mix up, but I'm actually pretty intrigued with how they're doing it. In Gen 1 and 2 you can neglect the legendary entirely and Gen 3-6 maybe go a bit too hard on forcing the legendary in after Gym 7. It feels like they're trying to vary things up the last few games, with stuff like the Nebby reveal in Gen 7 and just having the legends be a postgame quest in Gen 8. Just having it be there at the start (and I'd imagine not actually useable in battle for a majority of the game) is an interesting twist on the formula. I'm sure they'll be some story events that maybe let things with them be more grand.

Also, as far as treating legendary Pokemon with more grandiosity, I don't think they've lost that altogether and I'd expect more of that typical treatment to be around in future games. I would even argue Arceus got spoiled with that treatment in PLA. You get a glimpse of it at the start of the game, but it's completely bathed in light to the point where if Arceus was some sort of new Pokemon, I can't imagine you'd be able to make out its actual shape. You don't get a full fledged look at it until you've completed the dex and it appears before you in a split second in its own domain. Being extremely casual with at least an aspect of the legendary like in SV is an interesting change of pace, I would say.

Can't believe I'm watching anyone under the age of 50 using the term woke unironically to describe any aspect of a piece of media's design.

I think all of the children characters so far look like ugly PBS cartoon people and most of the adult characters look sort of off compared to the anime people we're use to in Pokemon. Its not a particularly hard opinion to articulate. Jumping to woke as a descriptor for something you don't like and giving vivid descriptors of a fantasy strawman is telling on yourself a bit too much. Maybe take a nice hard look at the social environments you're stooped in if people using that around you are the norm.

Also crediting random japanese folks posting on the internet for making Pokemon is like crediting 4chan posters for making Cyberpunk 2077.

--------

It's for sure a mix up, but I'm actually pretty intrigued with how they're doing it. In Gen 1 and 2 you can neglect the legendary entirely and Gen 3-6 maybe go a bit too hard on forcing the legendary in after Gym 7. It feels like they're trying to vary things up the last few games, with stuff like the Nebby reveal in Gen 7 and just having the legends be a postgame quest in Gen 8. Just having it be there at the start (and I'd imagine not actually useable in battle for a majority of the game) is an interesting twist on the formula. I'm sure they'll be some story events that maybe let things with them be more grand.

Also, as far as treating legendary Pokemon with more grandiosity, I don't think they've lost that altogether and I'd expect more of that typical treatment to be around in future games. I would even argue Arceus got spoiled with that treatment in PLA. You get a glimpse of it at the start of the game, but it's completely bathed in light to the point where if Arceus was some sort of new Pokemon, I can't imagine you'd be able to make out its actual shape. You don't get a full fledged look at it until you've completed the dex and it appears before you in a split second in its own domain. Being extremely casual with at least an aspect of the legendary like in SV is an interesting change of pace, I would say.
Even the wolves had a bit of grandeur put on them. They're "just" battle hardened wolves but they live in a mystical forest where they basically just show up as spirits, they first show up as unbattlable figures in fog, they're extremely important to Galar's history but their involvement was buried & lost over the centuries, a whole ordeal is done to get them to help. SWSH was awkward on a lot of fronts but the wolves themselves were pretty neat.

So I'm sure whatever is going on here with the lizards will have more to it than just "wow cool lizard, who happens to like you".

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I looked at the map and I noticed these things that look like giant, tilted and rusty(?) objects (idk how else could I describe them). They're scattered in the majority of Paldea. If I had to guess, I think these objects make Terastallization possible.
View attachment 445116View attachment 445117View attachment 445118View attachment 445119View attachment 445120View attachment 445121View attachment 445122View attachment 445123
nah they're just ubisoft towers lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)