Tournament Pokemon Showdown Premier League III (READ THE FULL POST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

art by Blue Frog

Hello and welcome to the third iteration of Showdown's biggest team tournament! PSPL III will see rooms taking on rooms in a number of tiers, with teams being made up of ranked users and regulars from each room. We've decided to start the tournament a bit early this year, so we get a larger availability of players during the summer time. If you're a little confused, here's a sample match with the finalised tiers:

Tournaments (5) v. Little Cup (2)
ORAS Ubers: Spydreigon v. Tricking
ORAS OU: Jack Dalton v. mad0ka
Doubles OU: Snowydoe v. The Avalanches
ORAS UU: Vapo v. Celestavian
ORAS RU: After Hours v. QuoteCS
ORAS NU: Blitzamirin v. Jac
ORAS LC: Jetpack v. macle

How do I sign up?

IF YOU ARE NOT A ROOMOWNER YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING RIGHT NOW. I REPEAT, IF YOU ARE NOT A ROOMOWNER YOU CAN SKIP THIS BIT. This is the first public signups, although I've been getting signups in a thread in the staff forums so far, and most rooms have signed up. I'll list those that haven't here, and tag their owners. I'll need one owner to manage the room and a list of other roomowners who wish to be involved. If there are no active or interested owners, I will allow a roommod to manage the team if necessary - you'll need to pm me. ROOMOWNERS SHOULD TALK AMONGST THEMSELVES BEFORE SIGNING UP. BUT IF NECESSARY TAKE THE INITIATIVE AND SIGN YOUR ROOM UP.

Private rooms cannot participate, sorry for all affected by this.

Note: If your room can't field a team, you may combine with another room, and one owner can lead this "Room A + Room B" team.

Academics - Coronis, Not Canadian, SteelEdges, Timbuktu
Anime & Manga - EisuLee, Kostitsyn, prem
Art - Bummer, Jac, SolarisFox
Battle Dome - Aelita, Asthmere Sivolisk
Cafe le Wow - BiGGiE, imagi, Osiris, Raptor
CAP Project - Birkal, jas61292
Cosmopolitan - Albert, anto, BulbaSword
Debates & Discussions - Do You Like Criminals, SteelEdges, verbatim
Espanol - Astyanax, Iyarito, Joim, Lost Seso
Francais - @pam, qtrx, Reverb, Vinc2612
Game Corner - Astara, Saverdien, sirDonovan
Health & Fitness - h_n_g_m_n, Rosie_The_Venusaur, Zodiax
In-Game - BiGGiE, Dell, HYDRO IMPACT, LordBlah, Skitty
MOBA - Acedia, Crestfall, Hippopotas
Old Gens - ashiemore, Bedschibaer, Jellicent
Scavengers - ashiemore, Queez, Shame That
Smash Bros - bloobblob, Crestfall, prem
Sports - BiGGiE, Imanalt
Survivor - Aknolan, Shame That, Swirlyder
TCG - bumbadadabum, Slarty
Tech & Code - Scotteh
The Happy Place - BreadHeroDan, Kayo, Saburo, shaymin, Sigilyph
The Studio - Charles Carmichael, Jin Of The Gale, Kayo
TV, Books, & Film - Aelita, Saburo
VGC - Firestorm, makiri, @nostrom
Video Games - bloobblob, business turtle, CrushinDefeat, Kostitsyn, Vexen iv
Writing - BreadHeroDan, sirDonovan, XTheElegantShadowX
We might have missed a few, so be sure to ask a global staff member if you're not sure if you have signed up already!

Who can play?

Each room must play nine players each week, as there's seven starting slots and two substitute slots. SEVEN of those slots must be ROOM VOICES AND OVER, while the other TWO slots do not need to have a ranked user. Global staff count as a ranked user for any room, global voices do not. I have a list of the roomauth for every room, which is essentially the roster for each room for the "must be a ranked user" slots (thanks to anto for doing the grunt work). If you're using someone not on your /roomauth list below as a ranked user, you as an owner will need to pm me and tell me why they earned rank in the room (the screenshots aren't 100% up to date). Do not try and game the system, or you will be laughed at and punished for being unable to compete in a fun community tournament without cheating... so yeah, don't do that (it's also super easy for any staff member to check stuff out if necessary).

Unfortunately, you can't play for multiple rooms. This also applies to managers - pick your room and stick to it. I will allow you to be an "involved owner" in a different room though if you own a room you're not playing for or own multiple rooms, to keep things running smoothly.

What do managers/involved owners do?

Honestly, not too much. All I really look for from managers is that myself and antemortem get sent lineups each week (or "reuse last week's") and that you make sure your players are active, subbing out and in if necessary. You'll also need to pick a mascot Pokemon for your room. Managers don't have to play, don't worry, but like I said they should be roomowners. I'll accept lineups and subs from any roomowner, but I expect coordination between roomowners and would still like a "leader" for each room. Also, make sure that every player you plan on playing has a Smogon account, because I definitely want to tag them in posts.

VERY IMPORTANT FOR MANAGERS: Managers, once you've signed up (by pming me and antemortem) you also need to pm me and antemortem your lineup for Week 1 by next Saturday. If I don't get it by the time I want to put Week 1 up, you can't play. All I need is the starting 7 and two substitutes - substitutes can be done through your /roomauth list. You need to give me their Smogon accounts and say if they're one of the two who aren't room ranks. THIS IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, so if you are the 33rd manager to sign up their room, we will unfortunately have to cut you, and we've got 23 already, so please sign up ASAP!

When will Round 1 start, and what's the format?

The exact format of the tournament will depend on the number of signups, as we are hoping to roll with 32 teams. Ideally, there will be round robin group stages, followed by a top 8, single elimination playoff. It'll begin as son as we get 32 teams signed up. Remember, first come, first serve.

Do I need art for my room?

No, just a mascot Pokemon. Art is unnecessary.

Prizes?

Unlike last year, we're going to be offering a prize to the winning team this year to offer more of an incentive! We will be putting the winning room at the top of the room list for a temporary amount of time, alongside rooms like the Lobby and Tournaments (credit to AM for the idea)!

So in summary:
  • If you are a roomowner and your room has already signed up: send me and antemortem a Week 1 lineup via PM, including what tiers the seven users are playing, whether they're ranked in the room or not and their Smogon accounts.
  • If you are a roomowner and your room hasn't signed up yet: talk to other roomowners if necessary, PM me and antemortem your signup ASAP (room name, manager, other involved owners and mascot pokemon) and then your Week 1 lineup.
  • If you wish to play for a room: talk to a roomowner and ask for a tryout or something, they're the guys who will be picking the team (particularly important for non-ranked users as there's only two slots for you).
  • If you have any questions which need to be answered: Just drop me a VM.
  • Everyone else: sit back for a while and wait until Week 1 is posted, likely this weekend. I hope you're looking forward to the tournament!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)