Other Pokemon: Smogon Version OU [Route 4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn it, my computer was slowed to be fixed today.....and the wrap up is still not here either going to show Cho and I have terrible timing with time off.

Ill try to see if I can attempt a decent write up with my phone here but if I can't get something up then it may result in a slightly longer wait unless one of you would like to assist in the wrap up like Lady Salamence did previously. Give me a little bit to see if I can do something here.

This is a suggestion that could potentially fit at any point in the game, and we can do it one of two ways; either way, I'd feel that a game based on Smogon would be incomplete without it. Firstly, we could start our Route numbering scheme at 501, not 1; that would make our current route Route 502 (or, if it would fit better down the track, the current route could be 503 with the route heading south out of Golurkmoar Town made 502). Alternatively, we have a one off route somewhere that is Route 502 (maybe stemming off from Victory Road down the track, indicating a connection to some distant region). Either way, given that Pokemon is absolutely besotted with broken bridges, this route would be blocked off (whether it becomes accessible eventually or otherwise). The block would be a broken gateway...

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, I want to move on. Salemance, here are the posts that will need to be summarized for this route:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-22#post-5628024
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-22#post-5628191
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-23#post-5629366
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-22#post-5628428
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-23#post-5630650
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-24#post-5634794
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-25#post-5637307
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-smogon-version-ou-route-2.3510993/page-25#post-5638608

There should be 2 trainers in there.

The Pokemon on this route will be:

Forest Influenced Grass:
-Shroomish
-Venipede
-Fletchling
-Starly
-Bunnelby
(no other suggestions with high votes, so leave it at this list)

Coastline Grass
-Fletchling
-Corphish
-Slowpoke
-Squirtle
-Azurril (Uncommon)

Fish/Surf
(No one said anything, so imma just make it up)
-Magikarp (Old Rod)
-Horsea (Good Rod)
-Alomomola (Good Rod)
-Sharpedo (Super Rod)
-Mantine (Surf)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Starting the next area-- The Forest

Forest Grass
-Venipede
-Whirlipede
-Shroomish
-Bug Family #2 (can have un-evolved and evolved form if a 3 stage poke)
-Bug Family #3
-Grass Family #2
-Grass Family #3

Also looking for 6-8 trainer proposals!

Pokemon Proposal
Forest
Budew
Level 4-6
Reasoning: Roserade is on the OU viability list, and fits fairly well as a uncommon encounter.

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Pokemon Proposal
Route 2 Forest
Coastal Grass Land Walking Water type
Foongus
Level: 6-9

Amoongus is another one of those quite nice pokemon to have on Stall teams. It has access to spore which can really hurt some teams quite a bit. Its Giga Drain can also help deal damage aganist certain pokes who are asleep or sometimes even just in general by healing itself up to a good level. It has access to Regenerator which can be really good by giving it a second form of recovery. And Foul Play helps it deal with Physical attackers. Since Amoongus is so good on Stall teams, I think we should give players access to Foongus early game

Pbbbth, OU viable bugs not named venipede, heracross, pinsir or scyther.... tricky. Forretress isn't even ranked, so Pineco is out. That leaves venonat and volcababy(whatever volcarona's preevo is called, too lazy to look it up). The latter's level up movepool is garbage and has that awkward as frick stat switch upon evolving, but venonat would be decent. It gets confusion decently early on, which is something.

Chou Toshio There's three trainers in there. I'm a bit sad neither of my trainers made it, but oh well.

Ah screw it.

Pokemon Proposal
Route 2 Forest
Bug Type
Venonat
Level: 8-9

Pretty much the only OU viable bug left that isn't stupid OP at this moment or absolutely horrible. Confusion is on the way, so there's that.

*edit*

Also, is anyone else afraid that giving a 65/125/100//55/70/85 mon (pinsir) to the player at route two for absolutely free going to be totally game breaking, or is that just me?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Pbbbth, OU viable bugs not named venipede, heracross, pinsir or scyther.... tricky. Forretress isn't even ranked, so Pineco is out. That leaves venonat and volcababy(whatever volcarona's preevo is called, too lazy to look it up). The latter's level up movepool is garbage and has that awkward as frick stat switch upon evolving, but venonat would be decent. It gets confusion decently early on, which is something.

Chou Toshio There's three trainers in there. I'm a bit sad neither of my trainers made it, but oh well.

Ah screw it.

Pokemon Proposal
Route 2 Forest
Bug Type
Venonat
Level: 8-9

Pretty much the only OU viable bug left that isn't stupid OP at this moment or absolutely horrible. Confusion is on the way, so there's that.

*edit*

Also, is anyone else afraid that giving a 65/125/100//55/70/85 mon (pinsir) to the player at route two for absolutely free going to be totally game breaking, or is that just me?
That's not a final summary post-- just the ones I picked up on a brief scan (looking at likes mostly), just to make life easier for Salemance. He and I will go back and talk about individual posts (content wise) in a bit more detail-- I'll retake a look at your trainer proposals (might move some into the forest though).

anyway

Pokemon Proposal: Larvesta
Route 2 Forest
Bug Type
Level: 4 (just to troll)
Larvesta is the only other "caterpillar" mon besides Venipede whose evolutionary line is even close to being OU viable. Obviously, Volc is a beast (though a tad bit mal-adjusted for XY OU). Larvesta has an impressive 85 ATK, a terrible movepool, and a really, really late evolution (that uses entirely different EVs and attacks...) but it can pay off for those willing to invest in it (much like Breloom here...), and gives players who didn't pick Charmander to pick up a decent Fire-type. Maybe we can introduce Larvesta here, and then hide one you can trade for before or in the next town that also knows Flame Wheel or Flare Blitz, or something that would help you chill the rage powder.

Okay I returned from vacation so maps should me made soon

I got bored before I went away and I put up some sort of habitat list. It was like 5 minutes of work and not very accurate but I tried.

· Grassland
- Talonflame
- Chansey
- Gardevoir
- Manectric
- Alakazam
- Staraptor
- Ditto
- Klefki
- Smeargle
- Togekiss
- Ampharos

· Forest
- Pinsir
- Scizor
- Breloom
- Venipede
- Amoonguss
- Heracross
- Escavalier
- Gourgeist
- Tangrowth
- Venomoth
- Roserade

· Fresh Water/Close to fresh water
- Azumarill
- Gyarados
- Dragonite
- Quagsire
- Politoed
- Slowbro
- Crawdaunt
- Sharpedo?
- Seismitoad
- Toxicroak
- Gastrodon
- Ludicolo
- Slowking

· Salt Water/Close to salt water
- Gyarados
- Kingdra
- Sharpedo
- Starmie
- Gorebyss
- Cloyster

· Rough Terrain
- Bisharp
- Mawile
- Clefable
- Tyranitar
- Hippowdon
- Mandibuzz
- Skarmory
- Gliscor
- Conkeldurr
- Lucario
- Absol
- Aggron
- Haxorus
- Krookodile
- Shuckle
- Salamence
- Wobbufet
- Exploud

· Cave
- Clefable
- Excadrill
- Garchomp
- Mawile
- Tyranitar
- Ferrothorn
- Aggron
- Hydreigon
- Exploud

· Mountain
- Clefable
- Mawile
- Rhyperior
- Gliscor
- Tyranitar
- Haxorus
- Salamence
- Hawlucha
- Snorlax

· Urban(Including factories, electric generators, etc)
- Chansey
- Gardevoir
- Sylveon
- Smeargle
- Goodra
- Magnezone
- Ampharos
- Porygon2
- Reuniclus

· Cold Climate
- Mamoswine
- Weavile
- Abomasnow
- Froslass

· Haunted/Spooky
- Aegislash
- Gengar
- Gothitelle (Let’s face it, this thing is spooky af)
- Hydreigon
- Sableye
- Banette
- Chandelure
- Gourgeist
- Cofagrigus

· Volcano/hot place
- Volcarona
- Darmanitan
- Houndoom

· Other
- Kabutops (Fossil)
- Chesnaught (Starter)
- Aerodactyl (Fossil)
- Blastoise (Starter)
- Infernape (Starter)
- Omastar (Fossil)
- Empoleon (Starter)

Aaaanyway

Pokemon Proposal: Tangela
Route 2 Forest
Grass Type

Being one of the few Grass Types on the Viability List that is also good in-game due to not having low stats offensively (Foonguss), being a starter or a legend, Tangela has a quite impressive defense and will be helpful early-game to sponge up incoming tackles and stuff. It also gets Regenerator. Plus it gets access to sleep powder at some point so we can introduce the sleep clause in some way(?) and it helps catching pokemon. However it evolves kinda late and is later in the game outshined by other, better physical walls.

Dangit OU why do you hate Grass Types

Also please no Pine Tree forest there dont exist tiles for those afaik

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
but larvesta takes a hell of a time to evolve, and till you reach the fourth gym with day lv30 mons, a lv 30 larvesta doesn't help and will most probably be dumped on the pc. I suggest that we introduce larvesta(or even better, volcarona) later where the team mons should around early 60s/late 50s

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
but larvesta takes a hell of a time to evolve, and till you reach the fourth gym with day lv30 mons, a lv 30 larvesta doesn't help and will most probably be dumped on the pc. I suggest that we introduce larvesta(or even better, volcarona) later where the team mons should around early 60s/late 50s
Since by the eighth gym the pokes will be at level 100, by the fourth gym it would be safe fo assume should be like level 50 bye that time, so it's probably going to evolve around that time

When I proposed Larvesta I was shot down but it gets considered when the OP posts it. I see how it is :P

Jokes aside, I do support Larvesta as a catch here and you can read my original proposal of you wanna know why

Please please please, let's call them Cabbage Patch Kids. Or Berry Bush Kids, if copyright's a problem.

Anyways, we need to have an idea about the forest and what aspects of the game are introduced in it. Remember Eterna Woods in D/P/Pt where you team up with Cheryl? I have an idea for that, but first let's talk about something this Forest should be known for: Berries.

As we know, Berries can play a large role in competitive play, but we never really see them used in a play-through since most people can't be bothered to farm up a backlog of berries for every goddamn battle. What I have in mind are two items: A Key Item called the Berry Breeder, and a held item called the Bottomless Berry Bag. Yay alliteration! The Berry Breeder has a slot for every berry in the game, and the kicker is that it creates 1 berry of every occupied slot every 512 or 1024 steps. This is just a placeholder number, so you can change it to anything for balance purposes. The Bottomless Berry Bag is linked to the Berry of your choice in the Berry Breeder, and a Pokemon can hold the bag to gain use of the selected Berry in the bag once per battle. This allows players to try out things like SubSalac or other strategies without running low on supplies, and having infuriating downtime between usage of said strategies. I suppose you can also have a separate tab in the Berry Breeder that allows you to cross-breed Berries, with the same mechanics as those in XY.

Now, how do we get this item as related to the story?

We will get this pouch in a certain grotto (not Hidden Grotto like BW2) that can be found near the beginning of the forest. Within this certain 'secret' area, you find a colourful clearing, filled with Berry Bushes and Berry Trees of nearly every type. In the middle is a giant pile of berries, and 3 Munchlaxes playing around it. Smack in the middle of the pile is...well, whaddaya know, it's our first Gym Leader, making snow angels in the berries, having the time of her life. (Gender is irrelevant here, but I figured it'd work better with a female Gym Leader.) Upon getting close enough, she gets up with a start.

"Aww crap. Hey look, kid, this is...this is nothing you should be worried about. Just turn around and pretend you didn't see anything.
...Pretty please?...
...Hey, don't give me that look! Being a gym leader's hard work! As a Gym Leader, you're not just the head of the Gym, you're also a mentor! Do you have any idea how many people try to battle me and ask me for help choosing their team? Do you know how many people chat me up on my IRC for battling tips? I deserve some time off! Fine, if you don't tell anybody, I'll give you a sweet new pair of items." [YES/NO PROMPT]

[Choice of NO]: "If word gets around that I spend my free time frolicking in berries like a Munchlax, I will end you. When you come for that badge, I swear I'll use my personal team instead of the Gym-sanctioned one." [LOOP PROMPT UNTIL CHOICE OF YES]

[Choice of YES]: "Good. Here's a Berry Breeder and a Bottomless Berry Bag. [Items get!] Put a bunch of Berries in the breeder and watch them grow as you walk. You can select a type of Berry with that bag and let your Pokemon hold it. As long as you have a stock of Berries, you never have to re-give your Pokemon the same Berry! Useful, huh? If you want berries, you should look around this clearing. There's plenty."

Around the clearing, there should be many accessible Berry Bushes that you can farm up. Perhaps, for inventory's sake, you can provide 10 of each berry from each pick-up. As for what kinds of berries, we can choose quite a few. Sitrus, Lum, Yache, Occa, Shuca, Chople, Chesto, Salac, the list goes on. I'm not sure which berries are most competitively common other than Sitrus, Lum and Chesto, so I'll rely on feedback from you guys for that.

Upon trying to leave the clearing after talking to Gym Leader (whose name has not been decided): "I should be heading back to the Gym anyways. Mind if I tag along? Ah, who am I kidding, you don't get a choice." [Bossy Gym Leader chick joins your party!] "Hey, I heard you call me that! Hmph, see if I go easy on you for your badge."

This is also a good place to give a quick peek into Doubles, although it may not be a very intuitive peek. Perhaps have some of the Double Battles be Pineco and Ferroseed with Protect and some attacks. If Pineco gets Selfdestruct or Explosion that early or something, it can show you the negative effects of spread moves in Doubles as well. If you meet Team Luck-Sack in this forest as well, we can make it a Double-Bidoof Moody Protect Bonanza (tm).

Upon leaving the forest, and reaching the next city: "I don't wanna see another Protect for a good, long while. Anyways, we're here! You heal your buddies back up and see me in the Gym. I'll be waiting for that challenge!"
I posted this far too early into the thread, so I quoted it for posterity's sake. (Based Turtleye senpai pls) Note: The idea in the quote might not be able to be made with the variety of map tiles available. Unless we're using custom-drawn map tiles, I can live with approximations or moderate theme changes with accessible map tiles. I just ask that the dialogue stay mostly the same.

As for a Trainer proposal, here!

Trainer Proposal:
Rich Boy Antoni
Encounter message: "Ugh, these insipid insects are scratching my expensive clothes! Good thing paralysis and sleep stop them in their tracks..."

Cottonee @ Big Root (Lv. 10)
Timid Nature
Ability: Prankster
- Absorb
- Fairy Wind
- Growth
- Stun Spore

Shroomish @ No Item (Lv. 9)
Timid Nature
Ability: Effect Spore
- Absorb
- Tackle
- Stun Spore

Tangela @ No Item (Lv. 9)
Impish Nature
Ability: Regenerator
- Ingrain
- Constrict
- Sleep Powder
- Vine Whip

Upon player victory: "Augh! What are you doing?! Now how am I supposed to keep myself clean?!"
Upon player defeat: "See? Works on Bug Pokemon, works on trained Pokemon."

Chou Toshio

Over9000
When I proposed Larvesta I was shot down but it gets considered when the OP posts it. I see how it is :P

Jokes aside, I do support Larvesta as a catch here and you can read my original proposal of you wanna know why
I didn't shoot down the proposal, and I was always thinking Larvesta for forest proper instead of route before forest.

Just like all proposals, if my post doesn't get enough likes, it won't be included.

I was shot down by the thread posters in general, not by any of you or Salemance or such - you guys are super professional and that's really cool :) Anyways, it was a joke - I don't have any hard feelings. The main point of my post was that I do indeed support Larvesta as an encounter.

For what it's worth, I did say that introducing larvesta this early on was prolly a bad idea and wasted no time in saying so.

Anyway, this is more of a formality then anything else as it looked like there was a fair bit of consensus on this awhile ago, but I am going to propose the first TLS grunt.

Trainer Proposal

TLS Grunt

Bidoof
Ability: Moody
Level: 13
- Protect
- Tackle
- Rollout

I threw in rollout just because it made sense for his level, also benefits from accuracy buffs and allows bidoof to hit golette (albeit weakly). This guy should appear either midway or towards the end of the forest.

When you approach him: You find TLS and a youngster facing eachother. They are in battle, and the TLS bidoof is in mid sweep of the youngsters team. The youngster loses quickly and runs off. You take a couple of steps towards the grunt and he turns toward you.

TLS Grunt: Heh, that kid didn't put up a fight. Nothing can beat this tactic. The meaning of competitiveness is winning. If you cannot beat a strategy, then you simply do not deserve the title of a "competitive battler". Now come, break your bodies against the immortal MOODY BIDOOF!

*battle commences*

Loss Quote: Wh, wha? I said everything boss told me to say to you stuck up Smogonites, and I even used an ability that was banned! Wait a second, you're using more pokemon then me! That's it, I will return, and when I do, I'll have 6 moody bidoof! I might even evolve them for even more power, mweh heh heh, YOU SHALL RUE THE DAY YOU MADE ENEMIES WITH TEAM LUCK SACK!

*TLS grunt leaves, first gym leader walks up behind the trainer*

First Gym Leader: Hey kid, whose that weird looking guy that was ranting at you just a moment ago? Some loser with a Bidoof? That's odd, Bidoof don't appear naturally here in Smogsmog, and even if they did, they're total garbage that you would have to be an idiot to use. Well, whatever, it's not like Bidoof is banned or anything, let bads be bad and move on. Anyway, see ya at my gym. Make sure you got a solid team of six mons when you get there, or else your ass will be mine, got it? I don't wanna get embarrassed by lame challengers!

*Gym Leader walks ahead*

If we do decide to go with Overlord Derp's idea of the berry breeder and the berry grove and what not, she should probably mention that somewhere here too, if only briefly.

Last edited:
POKEMON PROPOSAL
Ferroseed
Level 9

Ferrothorn is a frightening wall to face for a physical sweeper, especially if it's ability Iron Barbs is triggered. And volt-turn teams are going to go through hell because swaps are going to be common, and ferrothorn is capable as a hazard setter. Because he is a seed, I feel a forest is the right place for him, since he looks like a pine cone.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
For what it's worth, I did say that introducing larvesta this early on was prolly a bad idea and wasted no time in saying so.

Anyway, this is more of a formality then anything else as it looked like there was a fair bit of consensus on this awhile ago, but I am going to propose the first TLS grunt.

Trainer Proposal

TLS Grunt

Bidoof
Ability: Moody
Level: 13
- Protect
- Tackle
- Rollout

I threw in rollout just because it made sense for his level, also benefits from accuracy buffs and allows bidoof to hit golette (albeit weakly). This guy should appear either midway or towards the end of the forest.

When you approach him: You find TLS and a youngster facing eachother. They are in battle, and the TLS bidoof is in mid sweep of the youngsters team. The youngster loses quickly and runs off. You take a couple of steps towards the grunt and he turns toward you.

TLS Grunt: Heh, that kid didn't put up a fight. Nothing can beat this tactic. The meaning of competitiveness is winning. If you cannot beat a strategy, then you simply do not deserve the title of a "competitive battler". Now come, break your bodies against the immortal MOODY BIDOOF!

*battle commences*

Loss Quote: Wh, wha? I said everything boss told me to say to you stuck up Smogonites, and I even used an ability that was banned! Wait a second, you're using more pokemon then me! That's it, I will return, and when I do, I'll have 6 moody bidoof! I might even evolve them for even more power, mweh heh heh, YOU SHALL RUE THE DAY YOU MADE ENEMIES WITH TEAM LUCK SACK!

*TLS grunt leaves, first gym leader walks up behind the trainer*

First Gym Leader: Hey kid, whose that weird looking guy that was ranting at you just a moment ago? Some loser with a Bidoof? That's odd, Bidoof don't appear naturally here in Smogsmog, and even if they did, they're total garbage that you would have to be an idiot to use. Well, whatever, it's not like Bidoof is banned or anything, let bads be bad and move on. Anyway, see ya at my gym. Make sure you got a solid team of six mons when you get there, or else your ass will be mine, got it? I don't wanna get embarrassed by lame challengers!

*Gym Leader walks ahead*

If we do decide to go with Overlord Derp's idea of the berry breeder and the berry grove and what not, she should probably mention that somewhere here too, if only briefly.
Too strong for this stage of the game. TLS is not only known for breaking rules, but also for using crappy unviable Pokemon. The player should get used to effortlessly beating the crap out of TLS grunts before having a fight with one that is an actual challenge.

Otherwise lots of good storyline stuff. I would like this idea if the bidoof didn't have Moody (and the grunt was wondering why his bidoof couldn't win).

FINALLY GOT MY COMP FIXED!!!!

Now sorry for the delay, but the wrap is upon us! By now you know the drill, so without further ado, here is the Route 2 wrap up!

Hailing on a coast this side of the region before entering a peaceful forest, but you will not be too engrossed by the journey here as it is short and peaceful before entering your first dungeon. Your first non rival challenge will greet you as you see a Schoolgirl by the name of Jane exclaim to you about her “mastery of the Fire Water Grass core” and heads full throttle into a battle with you, where upon learning that maybe she shoulda checked to see if they were actually Fire and Water types and says i'll be able to show you what they really can do one day.

On this route you will be able to meet more viable water types along with new mons that hang alongside the coast line, with a list of said coastline mons here:

-Fletchling
-Corphish
-Slowpoke
-Squirtle
-Azurril (Uncommon)

With the grass gaining traction to the forest being of a different variety of creatures altogether with those influenced by the poisonous attributes and what have you:

-Shroomish
-Venipede
-Fletchling
-Starly
-Bunnelby

With Some mons to be accessed later via fishing/surfing:

-Magikarp (Old Rod)
-Horsea (Good Rod)
-Alomomola (Good Rod)
-Sharpedo (Super Rod)
-Mantine (Surf)

Closer off towards the end of the route itself we see a little brush of grass (forest influenced grass of course) with an item at the edge of it next to the trees. There you can find the TM Toxic and upon leaving that section (and more precise bout to enter the forest itself) you will be stopped by the Youngster Joey Jr. who proclaims that he can defeat you with the best of te best Ratatta ever, who upon losing says something bout his Dad before letting you go towards the Forest.

As stated previously, I can not directly access some of the prior posts (through smogon errors per the usual) so the list of posts will be kept a little short this time around. If you had something stated here in the wrap up, PM me directly and i'll add your post here. I'll be adding posts as I go about finishing this but for now its just to get it out on the thread after its very long delay.

Heres to the Forest!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)