Pokemon Stadium OU metagame ideas

Hi, folks!

I'm a long-time fan of this site, but a new forum user. I was hoping you could give me some advice.

There's a game shop near me that hosts events, and I'm trying to put together a few Pokemon Stadium nights. The rules would be based on the Smogon OU metagame.

Since the gen. 1 games are super old, I'm going to design a collection of Pokemon that I can copy and distribute to anyone who wants to play. That's where you come in.

Most of the info about the gen. 1 games is based on the link battle rules, but Stadium has a number of changes that significantly impact the metagame (there's a complete list of changes on Bulbapedia here: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokémon_Stadium_(English)). So I was hoping you folks could give me some suggestions.

1. Each gen. 1 cartridge has a limited amount of space for Pokemon and I want to give multiple movesets to each Pokemon I include, so I'm curious which Pokemon people think would be the most viable. I think all the standard OU Pokemon are still viable including the ones that were nerfed, but I'm still trying to decide which UU Pokemon to include. There are a few I'm interested in (like Focus Energy Nidoking), but I'd love to get outside input.

2. Also, do you have any ideas for viable movesets, especially sets that were uncommon/unviable in link battles?

3. I may have space for some filler sets, so feel free to include your favorite gimmicky gen. 1 set.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll post a link to a spreadsheet with all the movesets when it's done.

Hi Q, I’m glad to see that there is another fan of this beautiful game called Pokémon Stadium 1. I have some suggestions that hopefully will help you to organize a fun event. First of all, uban Dig and Fly, those moves were fixed on Stadium so it is no longer possible that a pokémon gets stuck on the semi invulnerable phase of them, also, they´re usually garbage, so there´s no reason to keep them banned.

Add a time limit for turns and for matches, otherwise a battle can lasts for hours and delay the event. I suggest 1 or 2 minutes for each turn and 30 minutes for each match. When the time of a match runs out, use the following criteria to determine the winner: number of remaining pokémon, percentage of hit points, number of hit points, coin flip or sudden death (a match of one pokémon vs one pokémon with a more strict time limit). For example, if the time runs out, the player that has more pokes wins; if both have the same number of pokes, then the player that has the biggest hit points percentage wins; if both have the same hit points percentage, then, the player that has more hit points wins; and if both have the same number of hps, then, toss a coin to determine the winner (you can use a sudden death match instead if you want).

You have to decide if tradeback moves will be allowed or not. If you decide to ban tradeback moves, you can detect if a pokémon has them with ease: its name will be written with red letters instead of white.

Add a rule for banned moves that are used via Metronome, for example, you have to decide if it will be allowed to kill an opponent using a Horn Drill that was summoned using metronome or if it will be allowed to use Double team or Minimize via metronome. I suggest that you allow banned moves to be used via Metronome since the chance of getting them is very low and it´s not the players fault; however, take into account that if the last poke of a player uses Self-destruct or Explosion via Metronome, he or she will lose due to breaking the Self-KO clause, so write that on the rules to prevent any kind of misunderstandings.

I have more suggestions, but these are enough for now. Before I go, I´ll give you the best Raichu set for Stadium:

*Raichu
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Thunder wave

I have more sets:

*Kabutops
-Surf
-Blizzard
-Slash
-Substitute

*Electrode
-Thunderbolt
-Exposion
-Thunder wave
-Substitute

*Tauros
-Body Slam
-Blizzard
-Earthquake
-Thunderbolt

Good luck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)