Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can you clarify what you mean when you say Emergency Exit "blocks" Volt Switch effect.

Edit: Question:
  1. Can one still use their Z-status move if they're taunted?
  2. Are Z-moves affect by Priority? Like do they get increased priority when used by a pokemon that has an ability to give increased priority (i.g Gale wing) or the move itself (i.g Mach Punch)
I just used the user's terminology there if I had to venture a guess it means that it prevented the volt switch user from switching out when emergency exit triggered, will have to get that clarified.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Seeing too much "By how much does X boost Y?" questions those things are going to get figured out, they have to eventually for PS! and for Smogon's (as well as other sites) own move/ability effect data, and when that info is available it will be posted here or somewhere else. Let's keep the questions to more specific, less obvious scenarios.

• Does Breakneck Blitz have priority? If so, what is its priority modifier?
• Does bad poison (from e.g. Toxic) still have the same progression? (1/16, 2/16, 3/16, etc.)

Can Z-moves miss? Are they considered 100% accuracy and thus can be effected by the opponent's evasion stat, or are they like Swift and never miss?

Berserk's description states that it gives the Special Attack boost if it gets hit and ends with less than half HP as a result.

Does this include status moves? (Namely, Pain Split)

Curious about some of the mechanics behind Oricorio's Dancer ability.

1. Does Dancer copy damaging dance moves or only status dance moves?
2. In Doubles, will Dancer copy every dance move used? If say my ally and an opposing Pokemon both use a dance move, will Oricorio copy both?
3. If Dancer does indeed copy damaging dance moves, how does it choose targets in Doubles? i.e. my ally targets the right slot enemy with Petal Dance, will Oricorio also target the right slot?
4. If Dancer does indeed copy damaging dance moves, how do side effects of the moves work? Petal Dance is a big question here.

Here are a few things I planned to test, but my PC isn't playing nice.

Can you Mega Evo and use a Z-move in the same battle (since they both use the Z-ring)?

Do Z-moves bypass accuracy checks and do the hit mons on the semi-invulnerable turn of dig, fly, etc?

And a few more things that'll only concern BH or VGC players.

Can Imposter/Transform copy Disguise and make use of it?

Does Dazzling or Psychic Terrain block Prankster Copycat/Assist or a resultant targeted move?

When Dancer copies a dance move, does it still allow the Pokemon to use its normally selected move that turn (which would give it multiple moves in a single turn)? What happens if the Dancer is faster and has already made a move and then the foe uses a dance move?

Does using Final Gambit trigger the user's Innards Out (judging by the desc. probably no)?

Is Innards Out's damaged blocjed by Magic Guard (probably yes) or Substitute (probably no).

Last edited:
  • Which attacks trigger Stamina?
  • Which moves does Dancer copy? Got asked while I was composing this reply.
  • Do Protective Pads or Long Reach bypass Fluffy?
  • Does Soul-Heart apply to both allies and opponents?
  • What does Beast Boost do if two stats are tied?
  • Which Pokémon do Plates and Memories affect?
  • Does Aurora Veil persist after Hail ends? Does Light Clay prolong it?
  • Does Beak Blast get interrupted if it burns an opponent making contact?
  • Can Klinklang use Gear Up on itself?
  • Does Sparkling Aria do more damage to a Burned opponent?

• Which moves does Dancer copy? Got asked while I was composing this reply.
Pretty sure the new flag found in the moves datamine is used by the to classify all the dance moves (look in the flags section of every move, the ones that have something like 0 x 100xx are dance moves). This includes things like Petal/Fiery/Revelation Dance. So dancer probably copies all of them, regardless of the move being a status move or not. Otherwise they'd probably just flag the status moves.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys, I have another question:

Is Shadow Shield/Multiscale's damage reduction still 50%?

Also, in the same vein, is Prism Armor the same damage reduction as Solid Rock/Filter?

I just used the user's terminology there if I had to venture a guess it means that it prevented the volt switch user from switching out when emergency exit triggered, will have to get that clarified.
Emergency exit triggered and had the user switch out, but the switch from volt switch did not happen.

Can Z-moves miss? Are they considered 100% accuracy and thus can be effected by the opponent's evasion stat, or are they like Swift and never miss?
Their accuracy is set as -- when used in a normal move slot, and is not listed when viewing it through normal means.

• Which attacks trigger Stamina?
Both physical and special

After I finish this island, I will resume testing stuff. Going to go through this thread and test some of the things which were asked. If anyone wants something else tested, let me know and I will try to put it into one post at the end of the day.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
"Sheer Force does not stop Emergency Exit from activating."

What exactly is meant by this? Last time I checked, Sheer Force only boosted moves with side effects. I thought that Emergency Exit was activated via all moves causing the user to go to half HP.

And on the subject of that ability, if Golisopod/Wimpod were to get hit by Spikes/Stealth Rock, and that causes it to reach 50% HP upon switching in, will the ability activate? Is Wimpod/Golisopod basically useless at that point where its ability activated? (Like, if a 50% HP Golisopod was brought in via U-Turn/Volt Switch/Baton Pass, will Emergency Exit activate automatically with Golisopod getting to do nothing?)
Sheer Force has some really weird side effects like stopping a hit opponent's Red Card and I think the Eject Button from activating. The point is that that side effect doesn't affect Emergency Exit.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
  • Is the critical hit system the same?(+3 ratio = 100%)
  • Can z moves gain spread damage if the original is spread? If so, do they still have spread reduction?
  • How do hazards and weather damage interact with disguise?
  • Do thick club/light ball still exist? If so, do they boost alolan marowak/ash-pikachu?
  • Can opposing pokemon use priority moves on each other when dazzling/queenly majesty is active?
  • Do z moves have any special interactions with type immunities?
  • What do targeted status z moves do when blocked by protect/crafty shield/magic bounce?
  • In doubles, do you have the option to select two z moves in the same turn in case one member faints/full paras before it gets the chance to activate the move? If so, what happens to the partner's attack?
  • Will dying to hazard damage still activate receiver/power of alchemy/soul heart?
  • Will dying to hazard damage still summon terrain from the deities?
  • Is ally switch blocked by psychic terrain?
  • How do burn/paralysis interact with beast boost?
  • What modifiers affect strength sap, if at all?

Last edited:
Do the effects of Aurora Veil last after hail is gone? For example, if Alolan Ninetales used it on the last turn of hail would she still get the def and sp. def boosts the next turns?

Does light clay extend Aurora Veil?

If Oricorio used protect and an opponent uses a dancing move does the ability still trigger and give her the stat boosts if it's a boosting move or use the attack if it was an attacking dance move?

EDIT: Does the 30% chance to miss your turn from Paralysis apply to the moves Oricorio's ability calls?

Can Oranguru use instruct on a move Oricorio's ability called and succeed?

Last edited:
A few more VGC/doubles questions, these are really difficult to test in-game.

Can you reuse Z-moves with Instruct or Copycat?

How big is the boost from Battery?

Can Instruct make your ally use phazing moves at a normal priority?

Can Instruct make a Pokemon use a move that is disabled/out of PP/greyed iut due to Taunt? What if Instruct is used on an ally that has flinched due to Fake Out or something?

What if the opposing Pokemon uses a Z-move and you still haven't used one in the battle. Can you use Copycat to recreate that Z-move?

Does Triage work on any moves with healing properties, or moves that only heal? For example, would leech seed get priority, or draining kiss? How much priority does it give?

Dark Void got locked to work only with Darkrai. Are there any other moves (other than Hyperspace Fury) with a similar mechanic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)