Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I posted about the Mega Evolution turn order news to reddit, and someone in the thread asked something interesting that I did not know the answer to, so I figure I'd post here. In X and Y, a glitch exists where if a Pokemon with Protean uses Curse while it is not a Ghost type, it changes to a Ghost type and then curses itself, presumably because selecting the move while not a Ghost type causes the user to target itself in an attempt to buff itself, but then after becoming a Ghost-type it remains targeting itself. Minor thing, but is that bug fixed in Sun and Moon?
How is this a bug / glitch though? Seems pretty normal to me.

Judgment:
Dark Void: Only works on Darkrai
Sketch: Works on anything
Sunsteel Strike: Works on anything
Moongeist Beam: Works on anything
Hyperspace Hole: Works on anything
Hyperspace Fury: Still Hoopa-U only
Thousand Arrows: Works on anything
Thousand Waves: Works on anything
Core Enforcer: Works on anything
Geomancy: Works on anything
Oblivion Wing: Assumed to work on anything (since it is paired with geomancy)
Steam Eruption: Works on anything
Multi-Attack: Works on anything
Fleur Cannon: Works on anything
Nature's Madness: Works on anything
Prismatic Laser: Works on anything
Diamond Storm: Works on anything
Burn Up: Fails if you are not currently fire type?
The starter signature moves: Works on anything
Roost: When used with Moltres after Burn Up has removed it's fire typing (making it flying only), Roost only makes moltres "grounded" (as in, it takes resisted damage from fighting and neutral from ghost attacks).
What about Spectral Thief?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It does the ghost type Curse on itself, not the normal one, so it cuts its HP by 50% and then takes 25% damage again at the end of the turn, while the opponent gets off scot-free.
Ah, I didn't manage to catch this message from your messy post at all. My bad.

EDIT: i'll edit in answers as available. Credits to kalalokki ,
yetanotherperson

Bunch of Z moves related questions below that may or may not have been answered. I couldnt find answers in the OP (maybe i missed them) but anw:

Do Z moves carry over priority of base moves, from +1, +2 to +7 like Pursuit?

EDIT: no. Tested with Mach Punch

Z moves ignore negative stat drops of user but does it ignore stat boosts? Does it ignore stat drops/ stat boosts of foes?

Do Z moves from Draco Meteor and its clones cause the stat drop? Same for base moves that cause recharge (Pulverizing Pancake could be a special case?), recoil, stat gains, regain health, switching, phazing, flinching, trapping or FAINTING like Explosion?

EDIT: tested with Draco Meteor and it doesnt cause stat drops and other effects above seem to not happen as well

Are Z moves from Fly, Solar Beam and its friends 2-turn moves? If yes then which turn is the damage executed? And if the damage is executed on turn 1 then do you remain in the semi-invulnerable/ charging state? and do you do damage from the base move the next turn?

EDIT: one-turn move. You move freely after the Z move. Tested with Fly, Solar Beam

Can Eevee use Extremeevoboost anytime or does it need to be able to use Last Resort first? As in does it need to use all its other moves to unlock Last Resort to use the Z move? (Good bye Baton passing the boosts if this were the case)

EDIT: you dont need to be able to use Last Resort for the Z move (BP away!!!). Using the Z move doesnt allow you to use Last Resort without unlocking the normal way though.

If the base move runs of out PP, can it still be used to execute the Z move?

EDIT: no

If the base move is under the effect of Imprison, Disable or Torment, can it be used for the Z move?

How does Me First interact with Z move?

If Z move based on High Jump Kick and Jump Kick miss due to immunity, do you take recoil? How do these interact with moves like Protect? The damage is reduced to 25% but do you take recoil?

EDIT: you don't take recoil if miss due to immunity. Unsure about Protect but most likely no recoil either

Do Z moves benefit from damage boosting abiliities like Adaptability or Tinted Lens or Sheer Force or Stake Out?

Do Z moves get boosted by weather or terrain?

Do Z moves benefit from immunity ignoring abilities like Scrappy or Mold Breaker?

EDIT: yes, tested with Scrappy

Do Z moves get STAB?

Can Z moves be critical hits?

Would Z moves based on Sky Drop and clones fail if Sky Drop were to fail? Or other base moves with conditions to succeed like Dream Eater, SUCKER PUNCH, FAKE OUT?

EDIT: Z moves based on these work regardless of the success of base moves. For example, you can Z move Fake Out on your second turn out

Do Z moves trigger Storm Drain, Water Absorb, etc?

Do Desolate Land and Primordial Sea cancel Water and Fire Z moves?

Can Z move based on Sucker Punch fail? Can Z move trigger Sucker Punch?

Do Z moves make contact?

Do Z moves trigger secondary effect of Spiky Shield, King's Shield and Baneful Bunker?

Can parahax, confusion hax or attract hax waste your Z move?

Do Hyperspace Fury and Hyperpspace Hole, Shadow Force, Feint Z moves bypass Protect completely?

Do Z moves retain the sound, ball/ bullet, dance, etc property of the base moves to interact with appropriate abilities?

Do Z moves with base moves that have fang, punch, pulse properties get boosted by Strong Jaw, Iron Fist, Mega Launcher?

Z moves and Protean?

EDIT: yes. Change type before Z move

Last edited:
12.jpg

Do we have an understanding of how Comatose specifically works ?

Bulbapedia states the following : Comatose prevents the Pokémon with this Ability from being afflicted by any status condition except sleep.

Except whenever I use Rest it always fails. I'm guessing because of the flavour text, it treats Komala as always sleeping or something ?

View attachment 73332

Do we have an understanding of how Comatose specifically works ?

Bulbapedia states the following : Comatose prevents the Pokémon with this Ability from being afflicted by any status condition except sleep.

Except whenever I use Rest it always fails. I'm guessing because of the flavour text, it treats Komala as always sleeping or something ?

From the OP: Comatose acts as if the Pokemon with the ability were asleep, but without the sleep status being applied. This includes status immunity and the inability to be put to sleep/use Rest.

Ok, did some testing with Dancer and found out the following.
  • A Pokemon with dancer uses a dance move as soon as it is successfully used by another Pokemon, regardless of turn order.
  • It still gets to use its regular move that turn.
  • A copied dance move can't activate Dancer again, so Oricorio vs Oricorio doesn't become an infinite loop.
  • It can copy status moves, as well as damaging moves such as Petal Dance and Fiery Dance.
  • A copied Petal Dance is only executed for one turn and doesn't lock the Dancer in.
Couldn't test in doubles, so can't say if the same Pokemon's Dancer can activate twice in the same turn or not.

Ok, did some testing with Dancer and found out the following.
  • A Pokemon with dancer uses a dance move as soon as it is successfully used by another Pokemon, regardless of turn order.
  • It still gets to use its regular move that turn.
  • A copied dance move can't activate Dancer again, so Oricorio vs Oricorio doesn't become an infinite loop.
  • It can copy status moves, as well as damaging moves such as Petal Dance and Fiery Dance.
  • A copied Petal Dance is only executed for one turn and doesn't lock the Dancer in.
Couldn't test in doubles, so can't say if the same Pokemon's Dancer can activate twice in the same turn or not.
Can you test Lunar Dance? Can Dancer-Fiery Dance raise Sp.Atk?

Can you test Lunar Dance?Can Dancer-Fiery Dance raise Sp.Atk?
Yes, I've seen copied Fiery Dance raise SpA.

Testing Lunar Dance now.

Edit: Lunar Dance is copied after the original user faints. The <Pokemon> used Lunar Dance is then displayed, but immediately after that it says that it failed. So the Dancer 'mon doesn't faint.
Although, this maybe due to me the fact that none of that used the copied Lunar Dance had any allies. Trying to find trainers with >1 Pokemon to test again (I'm really early in the story).

Last edited:
will emergency exit active inbetween a multihit move like Icicle spear?

If you get a boost from an terrain helditem during a terrain and the terrain dissappears, then when the terrains returns will the status boost still be there?

after a z-move is used will the held item dissapear, allowing for a boosted Acrobatics?

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Do Z moves carry over priority of base moves, from +1, +2 to +7 like Pursuit?
No, tested with Mach Punch
If Z move based on High Jump Kick and Jump Kick miss due to immunity, do you take recoil?
No, tried against a ghost type
Do Z moves benefit from immunity ignoring abilities like Scrappy or Mold Breaker?
Yes, tested with Scrappy
Are Z moves from Fly, Solar Beam and its friends 2-turn moves? If yes then which turn is the damage executed? And if the damage is executed on turn 1 then do you remain in the semi-invulnerable/ charging state? and do you do damage from the base move the next turn?
No, tested with Fly and Solar Beam, and I could move freely afterwards
Z moves and Protean?
Yes, tried with Draco Meteor
Do Z moves from Draco Meteor and its clones cause the stat drop?
No, tried with Draco Meteor
If the base move runs of out PP, can it still be used to execute the Z move?
No
Would Z moves based on Sky Drop and clones fail if Sky Drop were to fail? Or other base moves with conditions to succeed like Dream Eater, SUCKER PUNCH, FAKE OUT?
No they still work, tried with Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Dream Eater
Can Eevee use Extremeevoboost anytime or does it need to be able to use Last Resort first? As in does it need to use all its other moves to unlock Last Resort to use the Z move? (Good bye Baton passing the boosts if this were the case)
No, I used it first turn. Also tried using Last Resort afterwards while it was my only move and it didn't work even tho Extreme Eeveeboost takes one PP from Last Resort to trigger

Gonna try more later after this.

Last edited:
Turn order has changed to reflect a Pokemon's ability/Speed after it Mega Evolves, Prankster will now be active immediately after mega evolving and give priority to moves. Changes to a Pokemon's Speed will be reflected on the turn it mega evolves making it move before or after the opposing Pokemon depending on its new Speed stat.
I apologize if I didn't understand this correctly from this description. Does Prankster BEFORE mega evolving still activate? As in, I select my Prankster Sableye to mega evolve and use Will-O-Wisp. Is that particular Will-O-Wisp still affected by the previous Prankster, or not anymore and Sableye now has Magic Bounce?

A few more interesting pieces of info-
  • Curse+Protean bug still exists.
  • Burn Up always failed when used by a Protean Greninja. It probably checks to see if the user is Fire type or not before Protean changes the user's type.
  • LO+Sheer Force bug still exists.
  • Z-moves apparently ignore accuracy checks. Don't know if they can hit semi-invulberable Pokemon (those using dig, fly, etc.)
  • Copycat fails to duplicate Z-moves, at least those used by the user of Copycat. Copycat doesn't even call the move used prior to the Z-move, it simply fails altogether.
  • It seems that damaging Z-moves are completely seperate from their base moves. As such they inherit almost nothing from the base moves (effect, priority, accuracy, etc). Only the power is dependent on the base move's entry. (EDIT: And of course the damage category as well)

Last edited:
Just realized the burn damage nerf is a buff for Guts users! Previously, they had to choose between Flame Orn, which was 1/8th HP per turn, or Toxic Orb, which is 1/16th the first turn and increases by 1/16th more overall every turn after. Now, Flame Orb just is a flat 1/16th.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
  • It seems that damaging Z-moves are completely seperate from their base moves. As such they inherit almost nothing from the base moves (effect, priority, accuracy, etc). Only the power is dependent on the base move's entry.
Yeah that's what I've found as well from testing a bunch. So I doubt any other effects I haven't tried will work as well.

Q: Can Z moves based on Sky Drop and clones fail if Sky Drop were to fail? Or other base moves with conditions to succeed like Dream Eater, SUCKER PUNCH, FAKE OUT?

A: Yes, tried with Fake Out, Sucker Punch, Dream Eater
Just to confirm on the answer, did you mean the Z moves based on those moves would fail if they themselves fail? As in, you cannot Fake Out Z move on your second turn; cant Dream Eater Z move if foe is not asleep and cant Sucker Punch Z move if foe doesnt attack?

Do you waste your Z move chance in this case or you cant even select the three above to begin with?

Kalalokki

Sprite Leader
Just to confirm on the answer, did you mean the Z moves based on those moves would fail if they themselves fail? As in, you cannot Fake Out Z move on your second turn; cant Dream Eater Z move if foe is not asleep and cant Sucker Punch Z move if foe doesnt attack?

Do you waste your Z move chance in this case or you cant even select the three above to begin with?
No I phrased it bad the first time, they will work regardless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)