Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are Z-moves reliant on PP, or is there a completely different flag that makes you unable to use it again in the same battle?

What I'm trying to ask is, can you Lunar Dance to heal the 1 PP of a Z-Move and strike again?

Do Z moves Explosion and Self destruct faint you?
No l, they don't. The fainting is an effect of the base move, ana as such it doesn't carry over. It just becomes a physical Breakneck Blitz with its own effect. The only difference between using Tackle and Explosion as the base is the power of the resultant Z-move. And z-explo isn't that OP anyway, it has 200 bp and several other high power moves also reach that number.

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Are Z-moves reliant on PP, or is there a completely different flag that makes you unable to use it again in the same battle?

What I'm trying to ask is, can you Lunar Dance to heal the 1 PP of a Z-Move and strike again?
They most likely work of a different flag, like how mega evolution can only be triggered by one pokemon in a battle. They rely on PP in the way that they use up 1 PP of the move you're trying to use with and it will fail if you don't have PP for said move.

Do Z-moves carry flags like making contact, proccing king's rock, and that, or they have their own flags?
If they carry flags, do a Z-move from a sound move make it still blocked by soundproof?
If they don't carry flags, is primarina's Z move still sound-based? looks sound based by the name, althought not the animation...

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Do Z-moves carry flags like making contact, proccing king's rock, and that, or they have their own flags?
If they carry flags, do a Z-move from a sound move make it still blocked by soundproof?
If they don't carry flags, is primarina's Z move still sound-based? looks sound based by the name, althought not the animation...
Catastropika, Malicious Moonsault, Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike, and Pulverizing Pancake make contact, and every other Z-Move has no flags. King's Rock isn't a flag so whether or not that can activate would need testing (assuming the Z-Move is hacked into a moveslot; obviously you can't hold King's Rock and a Z-Crystal).

Catastropika, Malicious Moonsault, Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike, and Pulverizing Pancake make contact, and every other Z-Move has no flags. King's Rock isn't a flag so whether or not that can activate would need testing (assuming the Z-Move is hacked into a moveslot; obviously you can't hold King's Rock and a Z-Crystal).
This can mean
a) the remaining moves don't have/use their own flag and inherit it from somewhere 9e.g. the base move).
b) their flags are 0x00 i.e. they don't make contact, are not sound based, etc.

If it's wearing an Assault Vest can Oricorio's ability still use status dancing moves successfully?

Do attacks from her ability get the boost from choice items?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
If it's wearing an Assault Vest can Oricorio's ability still use status dancing moves successfully?
Assault Vest doesn't actually prevent the holder from executing Status moves; it prevents you from selecting Status moves for use. Taunt on the other hand prevents both selection and execution, so can Dancer use something like Dragon Dance while taunted?
Do attacks from her ability get the boost from choice items?
This is clearly a yes, as with any other effect calling a move the attack is coming from Oricorio so it will calculate damage normally.

How do Nature Power, Secret Power, and Camouflage interact with Psychic Terrain? The last one is pretty easy to guess(they become psychic), but I especially wanted a confirmation on the other two.

How does Comatose work in Electric Terrain?
Is Komala already internally inflected with the sleeping status or can it be put to sleep?

How does Comatose work in Electric Terrain?
Is Komala already internally inflected with the sleeping status or can it be put to sleep?
Sleep is the only status he can be afflicted with and electric terrain prevents sleep so I'd imagine he's just immune to status under electric terrain.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok so updated the OP with the findings from last night if I missed anything PM me. If I see another does "damaging Z-move based off X move do Y" I'm gonna delete it kalalokki pretty much covered how those work we don't need to test every little scenario when you can draw conclusions based on what we know and I already made a statement about these in the OP with a link to their post. Ctrl+F is your friend guys.

I have one question that I haven't seen addressed. If you use Telekinesis on a grounded Pokemon being affected by terrain, will the target lose the terrain effects as long as it's under the effects of Telekinesis.

Did anyone test liquid voice to see if it applies to all sound based moves, not just ones used by the Pokemon with the ability? For example, switching Primarina in on a Hyper Voice, does that Hyper Voice hit for Water type damage or does it only work for moves Primarina uses? I couldnt find any reference to this in this thread yet

Also, what is Nature Power's attack in a Wi-Fi Battle? is it still Tri-Attack like last gen or another move like Earthquake like in 5th Gen?

Whoa! Do you have any visual confirmation? That's just amazing!
Im assuming its for targeting status moves like wisp or twave. It would not stop a sableye from using recover.. thoughts?
I have one question that I haven't seen addressed. If you use Telekinesis on a grounded Pokemon being affected by terrain, will the target lose the terrain effects as long as it's under the effects of Telekinesis.
you can test this in the current gen. most likely it hasnt been changed. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Grounded
Did anyone test liquid voice to see if it applies to all sound based moves, not just ones used by the Pokemon with the ability? For example, switching Primarina in on a Hyper Voice, does that Hyper Voice hit for Water type damage or does it only work for moves Primarina uses? I couldnt find any reference to this in this thread yet
The text reads ALL sound based moves are water type. No one has confirmed this yet but i really think that Primarina has a niche against hyper voices and boomburst users. Even the ones with -ate abilities. I imagine Liquid voice supersedes the -ate abilities. Basically Primarina Liquid Voice will always resist damaging sound moves. its like an anti meta type thing Primarina is doing that follows the trend of this generation. very interesting.
(the Flavour/concept behind liquid voice making ALL sound based moves water type is that Liquid Voice fills the field with bubbles that burst with sound moves, thus water type)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)