Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

According to OmegaDonut, Status Z-Moves can miss.

https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/797724733773152257

Yes, Status Z-moves are sort of like 'pseudo Z-moves'. They are just the regular moves with an added 'Z-power' effect that is used right before the actual move. Unlike the damaging Z-moves, they retain their priority , accuracy and original effect. The move selection menu is also a good indication of this. Damaging Z-moves completely transform the base move and give it a new name (B. Blitz, G. Havoc, etc) while status Z-moves just have 'Z-' added in front of their name.

MAMP

MAMP!
Has Parental Bond's interaction with set damage moves changed? I.e does Mega Kanga's Seismic Toss still do 200 damage?

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has Parental Bond's interaction with set damage moves changed? I.e does Mega Kanga's Seismic Toss still do 200 damage?
Yes, it still does full damage on the second hit. Take a look at the list of known info in the OP.

Would like to say that Mike S. tweeted that aerilate (and other -ate abilities) still has 30% boost. The link is below. I don't know whether he's correct or UltiMario, who claims it's now 20%, since ULtiMario's tests look rather legit.

https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/797676572601909249

I don't know this user too well but it seemed like his tweets were being referenced quite a bit in this thread so I'm assuming he holds decent amount of credibility.
fwiw, when testing -ate fake out against disguise, I tested -ate espeed on an arceus as well just to get calcs, I'm pretty sure I got a roll lower than what should have happened with normal -ate.

Does using your Z-Move "use up" your Z-Stone to activate unburden, or to allow you to steal an item from another Pokemon?

Does Z-Flying Press become useful? xD

Water Bubble doubles the power of physical and special Water-type moves regardless of the Pokemon's type, including the Z-Move Hydro Vortex, and has no affect on status Water-type moves.

OK: I would really like some clarification on this. The original video, Liquidation only does similar damage to SE Crunch which is 170 vs 160 power which is fine. And follows the "Doubles Water Move Power". However, I am pretty damned sure even with a max vs min roll, if STAB was included in the calc, then it would have obliterated the opposing mon in this vid. Like, it would have been a clean KO. Everyone is now hyping this as some crazy powerful attacker, when I am not so sure this is the case.

If it was doubles water power + STAB than it should have been a clean KO... By an absolute mile. (85*2*1.5 = 255). Rather than 160 or 170 power. 80 power difference is HUGE.

Nexus' wording in the OP makes it sound like if its used on a mon not called Dewpider/Araquanid it doubles Water moves power. Which is great. So what I am asking is: Is this Adaptability for Dewpider/Araquanid, or does Dewpider/Araquanid NOT receive STAB on its water moves? This is a pretty big difference in my opinion.
I can recalc this tonight, but I'm 90% sure that when I did my own tests, it was pretty obvious the power difference (I think I tested vs that base 95 Arceus clone and it was ~30% vs like ~80% for both physical and special moves, kyogres evs and ivs gave it an equal Atk and SpA stat, and I used Scald and Waterfall).

Does using your Z-Move "use up" your Z-Stone to activate unburden, or to allow you to steal an item from another Pokemon?

Does Z-Flying Press become useful? xD
Z-stones are not used up in-game, they act like mega stones (only with a one time thing instead of transforming until the battle is over). Therefore they should not trigger unburden.

If a Pokemon with Parental Bond uses a Z-Move (only possible through ability-exchange or ability-copy moves/abilities so far), would it hit twice?

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just had a thought.

Does Primarina's Sparkling Aria deal full damage to allies?

And did we ever find out whether it affects the opponent's sound moves as well?

Parental Bond: Do spread moves work on multiple targets?
I assume you meant to ask if spread moves work on each target multiple times. No they still don't. Tested with EQ and Eruption. In a double battle, as long as there are more than one valid targets, the moves hit each target only once, regardless of PB.

If a Pokemon with Parental Bond uses a Z-Move (only possible through ability-exchange or ability-copy moves/abilities so far), would it hit twice?
No it wouldn't. Tested with an Entrainment MKanga + a FiriumZ Arcanine. Inferno Overdrive still hit only once.

How does Z-Metronome work? Can it proc the Z-move of the selection like Sleep talk or is it literally just identical to normal Metronome?

How does me first interact with Z moves?

Do confusion hax, attract hax and parahax waste your Z move chance?

Does that room that negate item effects (magic room, isnt it?) prevent Z moves from being used?

(1) Is Trick Room extended to 8 turns with Light Clay (or another item)?
(2) Is the type chart the same? (I mean the effectiveness of a type onto the others)

Fingers crossed.
Thank you for the answers.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Now... knowing that Z-Mirror Move turns the move it replicates into its Z-Move equivalent... does Copycat do the same
I already tested it.
Much like Sleep Talk, Z-Copycat also boosts accuracy and then uses Z-version of the previously used move, but only if the previous move was damage dealing.
Me First works in a similar fashion, but boosts Speed instead.

The type of the Z-crystal must match that of the calling move, but not necessarily that of the called move. For example, if a Blaziken uses Z-Mirror Move on a Linoone that just used Extremespeed, it'd first get +2 atk and then use a physical Breakneck Blitz based on ESpeed, even though it held Flynium-Z and not Normalium-Z.

I already tested it.
Sorry to bug you so much but i dont quite get the example with Me first. Please help me out here: if an Absol use Me First (the normal way, not the Z way) vs an Arcanine using the Fire Z move, which one will happen:

A) Absol will use the Fire Z move if it hold the Fire Z crystal
B) Absol will use the Fire Z move regardless of its item
C) Me First will fail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)