Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Does the dark type Z move scale off of a double powered payback if the mon using it goes last or does it scale off the standard base power?
Damaging Z-Moves never inherit any secondary effects from the move its based off of.

Does Entrainment work on Golisopod?
Emergency Exit is not a locked ability, it can be swapped and removed by any ability changing move.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
how does psychic terrain work with future sight?

first, does future sight get the boost at all?

if the user is not grounded, does it still get the boost?

if no, does future sight get the boost if you switch the user out? i.e. sigilyph uses future sight -> switch sigi out permanently -> hit

if it gets a boost if the user switches out, does it lose that boost if said user is switched back in?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If Zygarde uses Camouflage and Power Construct triggers, does it keep the Camouflage type or does it revert back to Dragon/Ground?

If Zygarde falls below 50%, which one triggers first, Sitrus Berry or Power Construct?

I know this one's stretching it but...

With its Dex entry and official site saying that Zygarde-C can overwhelm both Yveltal and Xerneas, does Power Construct have a hidden effect vs Fairy/Dark Aura?

EDIT @ Below post: Keep in mind that the damage calc may not be accurate as of now.

Last edited:

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
I posted this on Twitter and I don't know how many people will see it.

It isn't a big change on tiers that plays at 100(Or 50 in case of VGC), but it is on LC. (Also it simplifies the moveset verifier on Showdown I guess?)

The Move Reminder now allows you to teach to a Pokemon any move that it learns by level up on that Pokemon besides on what level it is. And No, you cannot get moves from evolutions. (I tried to teach Fly to Bagon with this).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but synch isn't 100%. SRing Lunala rn and I just got jolly instead of timid (synch lead is timid obviously)
Out of curiosity, was your Syncher alive? I tried with a fainted Abra as the party lead and out of 10 tries, none matched its nature. It only started working after I revived it before facing Lunala.

I've heard that a Moltres that used Burn Up then used Roost, but instead of losing its Flying type, it simply became grounded. I could have sworn it was mentioned in this thread, but I can't find it. Anyways, was this a specific result of Burn Up, or is this a new mechanic for Roost in that it doesn't remove the flying type, but simply grounds the pokemon as if it were hit by Thousand Arrows? At the very least I'd like to know if a Moltres that used Burn Up and then Roost if it can be hit by ground moves.

On another note, I've seen people ask if Spirit Shackle still traps the target if the user switches out, the answer of which seems to be no. But What if the user uses Baton Pass? Is the target still trapped? On a broader scale, does using any trapping move and then Baton Pass work like it did back in Gen 4?

Out of curiosity, was your Syncher alive? I tried with a fainted Abra as the party lead and out of 10 tries, none matched its nature. It only started working after I revived it before facing Lunala.
It is fainted, and has worked consistently enough. I guess I could start catching a bunch of them for testing...
edit:
timid, naive, bashful, timid, sassy, bold...

guess my luck was better than I thought, time to rethink my leads... and get salty from a 5iv -atk jolly one...

Last edited:
I posted this on Twitter and I don't know how many people will see it.

It isn't a big change on tiers that plays at 100(Or 50 in case of VGC), but it is on LC. (Also it simplifies the moveset verifier on Showdown I guess?)

The Move Reminder now allows you to teach to a Pokemon any move that it learns by level up on that Pokemon besides on what level it is. And No, you cannot get moves from evolutions. (I tried to teach Fly to Bagon with this).

So to clarify, if I brought a Lv 5 Chimchar to the Reminder, it could learn Slack Off despite not learning it normally until Lv 41?

So there's no jaw, powder, pulse, ballistics, or mental flags?
Looks like not. For example, Psychic Fangs—which I think we have to assume is powered up by Strong Jaw—has the exact same flags as Scratch: makes contact, blocked by Protect, and can be called by Mirror Move. You can see this not just in the flags dump, but also in the new moves dump. https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

Or perhaps there is another byte with additional flags that the hackers haven't yet identified?

I've heard that a Moltres that used Burn Up then used Roost, but instead of losing its Flying type, it simply became grounded. I could have sworn it was mentioned in this thread, but I can't find it. Anyways, was this a specific result of Burn Up, or is this a new mechanic for Roost in that it doesn't remove the flying type, but simply grounds the pokemon as if it were hit by Thousand Arrows? At the very least I'd like to know if a Moltres that used Burn Up and then Roost if it can be hit by ground moves.

On another note, I've seen people ask if Spirit Shackle still traps the target if the user switches out, the answer of which seems to be no. But What if the user uses Baton Pass? Is the target still trapped? On a broader scale, does using any trapping move and then Baton Pass work like it did back in Gen 4?
It is only from a fire/flying losing its fire type then roosting. Tornadus is still made normal type. I probably mentioned it between page 2 and 8, or on the OM discussion thread on like page 2.

Looks like not. For example, Psychic Fangs—which I think we have to assume is powered up by Strong Jaw—has the exact same flags as Scratch: makes contact, blocked by Protect, and can be called by Mirror Move. You can see this not just in the flags dump, but also in the new moves dump. https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

Or perhaps there is another byte with additional flags that the hackers haven't yet identified?
It's possible but quite unlikely.

For easy viewing (and for those curious), here's a list of all moves with the unknown flag:

Whirlwind
Roar
Mimic
Screech
Transform
Sketch
Scary Face
Charm
Swagger
Pain Split
Psych Up
Beat Up
Flatter
Trick
Role Play
Skill Swap
Feather Dance
Fake Tears
Odor Sleuth
Metal Sound
Tickle
Fling
Gastro Acid
Power Swap
Guard Swap
Worry Seed
Heart Swap
Switcheroo
Guard Split
Power Split
Telekinesis
Soak
Simple Beam
Entrainment
After You
Heal Pulse
Reflect Type
Bestow
Trick-or-Treat
Forest's Curse
Topsy Turvy
Electrify
Baby-Doll Eyes
Floral Healing
Spotlight
Speed Swap
Instruct

They're almost all Status moves with the odd exceptions of Beat Up and Fling. My initial thought is that most of these have some special effect in doubles/triples but, beyond that, I have no idea.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
there's a question on the first page about that list inregards to baneful bunker so maybe it has to do with that move?

But all the same let's keep the discussion to a minimum still want the majority of this thread to be specific questions and answers to them.

Reactions: CPU
I don't believe I saw it in the first post, so I'll go ahead and ask:

Does the new mechanic that tells you whether a move is super effective, not very effective, or does nothing work through abilities?

E.G. Would it tell the person that a Zoroark that is Illusioned to look like Alakazam that it is weak to Fighting or that it resists? Does it show that a Pokemon with Flash Fire is immune to fire moves? And so on

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I don't believe I saw it in the first post, so I'll go ahead and ask:

Does the new mechanic that tells you whether a move is super effective, not very effective, or does nothing work through abilities?

E.G. Would it tell the person that a Zoroark that is Illusioned to look like Alakazam that it is weak to Fighting or that it resists? Does it show that a Pokemon with Flash Fire is immune to fire moves? And so on
Abilities are ignored by the new SE check mechanic. It purely goes off typing, but its a dynamic check. If you have Weater Ball in Sandstorm vs a Flying type, it'll say Super Effective. If an opposing Normal Type gained Forest's Curse, your Surf would be labeled as Not Very Effective. If you have a Fire type move vs Flash Fire Heatran, it will just say effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)