Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

It looks like Shields Down activates at the end of the turn, so a Sitrus will entire prevent it from triggering. Using another recovery option to bring Minior above 50% health will revert it to shielded forme at the end of the turn.

Similarly, Sitrus Berry will prevent Power Construct from activating, but once Power Construct is triggered it can't be reverted.

Both of these abilities are locked abilities, Gastro Acid and the like will fail.
"Locked ability" isn't a thing. There are different levels of it. For instance, Gastro Acid will work on Truant, but Worry Seed will fail on it. So what did you actually test?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Added it to the OP but how does shields down interact with leftovers if it brings the Pokemon's HP above 50%?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Added it to the OP but how does shields down interact with leftovers if it brings the Pokemon's HP above 50%?
I haven't tested past this, but I know Shields Down occurs at least past Taunt (which is after Leftovers) in the end-of-turn event order, so if you're brought from 46 to 52% you'd either stay in or go into Shielded mode at the end of the turn. My best guess is that it's checked somewhere near Speed Boost's order in end-of-turn effects.

"Locked ability" isn't a thing. There are different levels of it. For instance, Gastro Acid will work on Truant, but Worry Seed will fail on it. So what did you actually test?
I mean that these abilities appear to function identically to Stance Change. Worry Seed, Skill Swap, Entrainment, and Gastro Acid are my default checks, but I'll bet good money Mummy, Trace, and Role Play don't interact with them either.

Do you have any proof of this? This isn't so much doubt as it is we'd like this stuff completely verified, especially for something like this which is exciting for breeding and has minor applications competitively with the information revealed from a Pokeball.
I bred Mareanie. The father was in a Lure Ball and the mother was in a Beast Ball. The kids hatched in both (not mirroring the parents - so no Lure Balls only for male ones and Beast Balls for females and not the other way around either). I don't have screenshots, I'm afraid, so you'll have to trust my word.

I mean that these abilities appear to function identically to Stance Change. Worry Seed, Skill Swap, Entrainment, and Gastro Acid are my default checks, but I'll bet good money Mummy, Trace, and Role Play don't interact with them either.
Hmm. I know Gastro Acid works on Flower Gift, so I would have assumed it also worked on Shields Down.

Probably because Flower Gift's form charge is purely cosmetic and the real effect is the ability giving boosts on sunlight. Meanwhile Shields Down form change includes the change to base stats.

Also, question, is Soul Dew immune to Knock Off? And if it where, does Knock Off do reduced damage against Latias and Latios using it?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
If Zygarde uses Camouflage and Power Construct triggers, does it keep the Camouflage type or does it revert back to Dragon/Ground?
Zygarde reverts to Dragon/Ground typing after changing formes through Power Construct.

Hmm. I know Gastro Acid works on Flower Gift, so I would have assumed it also worked on Shields Down.
Unless I'm forgetting something, it's likely that they're intently making abilities that make direct changes to base stats unaffected by ability changing effects. I even tested Cherrim to see if they changed Flower Gift interactions, and it's the same as always.

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this, but can somebody tell me under what circumstances these messages are displayed?

[VAR PKNICK(0000)] dropped its [VAR ITEM2(0001)]!
The wild [VAR PKNICK(0000)] dropped its [VAR ITEM2(0001)]!
The opposing [VAR PKNICK(0000)] dropped its [VAR ITEM2(0001)]!
Totem [VAR PKNICK(0000)] dropped its [VAR ITEM2(0001)]!

I don't think it's Knock Off; that's a separate message. Under what other circumstances will a Pokémon drop its item?

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Apologies if this isn't the right place for this, but can somebody tell me under what circumstances these messages are displayed?

I don't think it's Knock Off; that's a separate message. Under what other circumstances will a Pokémon drop its item?
Maybe it's thief?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

Maybe it's thief?
The text isn't used with Thief, Knock Off, Magician, Pickpocket, Bestow, or Fling. It's possible its either unused or is related to a bag item. Also coincidentally confirming that Adrenaline Orb doesn't have a fling effect.

The text isn't used with Thief, Knock Off, Magician, Pickpocket, Bestow, or Fling. It's possible its either unused or is related to a bag item. Also coincidentally confirming that Adrenaline Orb doesn't have a fling effect.
Well I will not blame you if you don't test my wild theory, but is it possible that e.g. Bestow works differently now, making the target drop whatever it's currently holding?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well I will not blame you if you don't test my wild theory, but is it possible that e.g. Bestow works differently now, making the target drop whatever it's currently holding?
I don't even need to individually test this. I've already had Bestow fail tons of times already trying to give wild Pokemon that were naturally holding items something for item related testing.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Speaking of Shields Down, does Ditto Transformed into Minior (Meteor Form) also have status immunity? I know it wouldn't be able to change formes but I'm wondering if the immunity is just tied to Shields Down and current HP/current form.
If Minior (Meteor Form) drops below 1/2 max HP but something tries to status it before the end of the turn, does it succeed?
If Minior (Meteor Form) didn't have Shields Down would it still be immune to status?
Edit: Also I assume Minior always switches in in Meteor Form and has to wait until the end of the turn to change formes, just like Zen Mode?
This is just old Gen 5 text from the Item Drop Wonder Launcher item. They leave stuff like this in all the time; the Gen 4 fog weather text is still there too.

So there's no jaw, powder, pulse, ballistics, or mental flags?
Nope, the only reason Pokemon Showdown flags stuff like that is because the 3DS was still an impenetrable fortress of security back when XY released and it was just assumed those effects had flags. They're actually hardcoded in their respective functions, which means empirical testing is necessary.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this counts as battle mechanics necessarily, but is it possible to get an Aura Break Zygarde with Thousand Arrows/Waves? Or are the special moves from the cube only able to be taught to Power Construct Zygarde?
It is possible, those moves are taught by using the Zygarde Cube Key Item on, apparently any Zygarde, or at least any Zygarde "built" on the Zygarde machine in SuMo. I taught those to some Aura Break Zygardes so yeah, it works. I actually have no idea how to make Power Construct Zygardes, all of mine came with Aura Break...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Speaking of Shields Down, does Ditto Transformed into Minior (Meteor Form) also have status immunity? I know it wouldn't be able to change formes but I'm wondering if the immunity is just tied to Shields Down and current HP/current form.
If Minior (Meteor Form) drops below 1/2 max HP but something tries to status it before the end of the turn, does it succeed?
If Minior (Meteor Form) didn't have Shields Down would it still be immune to status?
Edit: Also I assume Minior always switches in in Meteor Form and has to wait until the end of the turn to change formes, just like Zen Mode?
I'm not sure about the Transform into Minior interactions, but the status immunity is actually a product of Shields Down and Minior's Shield Forme. Neither will individually grant status immunity.

The change at the end of the turn IS very much like Zen Mode, so you won't lose any effects of Shield Forme (including the status immunity) until the transformation actually finishes at the end of the turn.

What are the specifics for Shield Down ?

Is it when we get lowered to 50 percent Hp and lower, it transforms into the other form and it gets that form that has the higher base attack ?

Just some testing with Spotlight mechanics, apparently we can target any opponent's pokemon however they never seem to attack their own allies making this move very situational.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)