Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

This will probably SEEM like a vague question, but it's more of a question about a broad mechanic that i can't think of another way to word.

Firstly, do we have a topic for discussing the new "Pokemon performs better if it likes you" mechanic where it would be better for me to discuss this, or is this the place?

Second, how exactly does said mechanic work? I've seen it make me dodge a 100% move, and make me live a hit that DEFINITELY should have killed me. What triggers it? What in all can it do?

Third, is there any way to disable the mechanic, and does it affect online battles? I'm assuming no on the latter.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
Assuming it would just carry over the amie buffs from last gen, haven't seen anything to the contrary yet.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
If you use Instruct on a pokemon that was hit by Fake Out earlier that turn, does that pokemon just flinch again? What about if they were hit by a move that doesn't have a 100% flinch chance, like rock slide?

If you use Instruct on a pokemon that was confused/paralysed/infatuated, does the move immediately execute or does it have to pass those checks again?

Tagging DragonWhale

If you use Instruct on a pokemon that was hit by Fake Out earlier that turn, does that pokemon just flinch again? What about if they were hit by a move that doesn't have a 100% flinch chance, like rock slide?
1) With Fake Out, it's pointless as the target already flinched.
2) If the target already used up its turn (even if it couldn't move because of a prior flinch), it cannot be flinched.

At least, that's how it worked IIRC, and there is no reason for that to be changed...

1) With Fake Out, it's pointless as the target already flinched.
2) If the target already used up its turn (even if it couldn't move because of a prior flinch), it cannot be flinched.

At least, that's how it worked IIRC, and there is no reason for that to be changed...
I think you misunderstood that question. Let's say we have 3 Pokemon, one with surf, one with fake out, and one with instruct. If the surfing Pokemon was flinched by fake out, and then you instructed it, would it surf, flinch, or fail? I'm going to guess the move fails.

Strength Sap fails if used against a target with -6 Atk, but doesn't fail against a target whose Atk can't be lowered due to Hyper Cutter, etc.

Strength Sap's heal amount is calculated before its Atk reduction comes into effect. So, if a Pokemon with 60 atk and -2 Atk stat stage (effective Atk 30) were to be hit by S Sap, its Atk goes to -3 (effective Atk = 24), but the user of S Sap gains 30 HP (equal to the target's effective Atk before S Sap hit).

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there any way to tell the exact accuracy percentage of Sheer Cold when a non-Ice type uses it? This is very relevant for Sheer Cold Suicune in Battle Spot.
Bumping this question. Also Ice-type related, does Aurora Veil fail if hail is up but there's a Cloud Nine/Air Lock Pokémon on the field? I'd assume that hail interacts with Cloud Nine the same way that the other weathers do but knowing for sure would be cool :)

Z shell smash removes user's stats debuff but Z-effect is applied before Shell Smash effect, so after a Z shell smash you still have both defense drop (if there was 0 stat change before), right ? Or can you confirm that all Z-effect are applied before usual effect move ?
Z-Shell Smash Leaves your DEF & SPD Debuffed like normal Shell Smash.

Does anything need testing currently? I have some free time.
Something's been bothering me for a while: We all just assumed Liquid Voice doesn't give the -ate boost because of the description, but nobody's actually tested it. Could you make sure? I just find it baffling that Gamefreak would make a new ability just for one Pokemon, only to make it (seemingly) pointless...

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Something's been bothering me for a while: We all just assumed Liquid Voice doesn't give the -ate boost because of the description, but nobody's actually tested it. Could you make sure? I just find it baffling that Gamefreak would make a new ability just for one Pokemon, only to make it (seemingly) pointless...
its been tested, no boost.

It's not baffling to me; I think they really wanted Primarina to use Hyper Voice as its primary stab, which makes sense.

Besides. Now her main STAB goes through subs and she has a 90 SpA spread move that doesn't hit allies.

Moves
  • Do Wide Guard/Quick Guard still run off Protect/Detect's last use counter?
Wide Guard didn't fail at all when I used it consecutively fourteen out of fourteen times but when I used Protect the turn after Protect failed. The Same thing happened with Detect.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Does it also fail if the user is at max HP? Or does it still lower the target's Attack 1 stage?
Still lowers attack.

Bumping this question. Also Ice-type related, does Aurora Veil fail if hail is up but there's a Cloud Nine/Air Lock Pokémon on the field? I'd assume that hail interacts with Cloud Nine the same way that the other weathers do but knowing for sure would be cool :)
Air Lock and Cloud Nine will make Aurora Veil fail even if Hail is up.

EDIT:
Do Pokémon with Dry Skin or Fluffy take extra Burn damage? Asking because Heatproof now lowers Burn damage.
No. By the way, Heatproof has always lowered burn damage.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been talked about already, but couldn't find in OP.
Any clue on how much of a boost to special attacks Battery gives?
I've heard both 1.3 and 1.5 but no serious proof.

Hi !

Is Komala still sleeping if you use Gastro Acid on it ?
If yes, how many turns ?
Comatose is a bit of a misnomer, since the ability actually prevents all status ailments period. So Komala being asleep is mechanically just flavor text, he can't actually get the sleep status (he can't use rest either, not that he even learns it).

So Gastro Acid wouldn't put him to sleep. Just like using a Mold Breaker Thunder Wave for example. Sorry, the first on Mold Breaker was confusing. Mold Breaker doesn't work on Comatose.

Edit: I should qualify this by saying it does grant a psuedo sleep status, as Snore will work and Wake-up Slap deals double damage.

Last edited:
Comatose is a bit of a misnomer, since the ability actually prevents all status ailments period. So Komala being asleep is mechanically just flavor text, he can't actually get the sleep status (he can't use rest either, not that he even learns it).

So Gastro Acid wouldn't put him to sleep, just would allow you to inflict a status ailment.
I assume that, once it recovers Comatose, it heals from its status ailment, right?

(also including what would happen after a Mold Breaker user inflicts status on a Comatose user)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)