Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Here's a test for you:

Spam only False Swipe. Have them call for help before you drop below 50%. Wait for the wild Pokemon to knock you below 50%. Does EE trigger?
I kept spamming False Swipe against two Golbat (had to use Full Heal once because Poison Fang triggered) and they took me down below 50%. Emergency Exit did not activate. Mean Look was active.

Then...

I kept spamming False Swipe against two Absol. They took me down below 50%. Emergency Exit did not activate.

In both cases they called for help successfully before I was below 50%.

I'll try to find a Drampa.

EDIT:

Found a Drampa.
I kept spamming False Swipe. It took me down to below 50% and Emergency Exit did activate and Golisopod fled. The Drampa never called for help.

Someone asked about Z-Moves in normal move slots a long time ago. It looks like they're -- Acc 1 BP moves of their respective typings. Special Z-Moves function normally in a moveslot with their real base power and effects, albeit with none of the fanfare (there isn't even text for when you use it). All normal slot Z-Moves have 1 PP (and no, PP Ups don't work). You can use as many normal slot Z-Moves as you want in a game. You cannot power up a normal slot Z-Move with a Z-Crystal (it won't recognize the move as that typing at all).
I tested this like a week ago... Also, Extreme Evoboost was triggered by using a normal z-crystal (by selecting Extreme Evoboost in the z-move screen thing) iirc. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-7-om-competitive-discussion.3578811/page-9#post-7072185 (i could have sworn I posted in here too, but I only had things mentioned in the OP I guess.)

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I kept spamming False Swipe against two Golbat (had to use Full Heal once because Poison Fang triggered) and they took me down below 50%. Emergency Exit did not activate. Mean Look was active.

Then...

I kept spamming False Swipe against two Absol. They took me down below 50%. Emergency Exit did not activate.

In both cases they called for help successfully before I was below 50%.

I'll try to find a Drampa.

EDIT:

Found a Drampa.
I kept spamming False Swipe. It took me down to below 50% and Emergency Exit did activate and Golisopod fled. The Drampa never called for help.
Yeah, figured this much. Emergency Exit won't trigger if a Pokemon calls for help. An interesting interaction, but completely useless competitively lol

I tested this like a week ago... Also, Extreme Evoboost was triggered by using a normal z-crystal iirc. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gen-7-om-competitive-discussion.3578811/page-9#post-7072185 (i could have sworn I posted in here too, but I only had things mentioned in the OP I guess.)
For the Z-Crystal interaction, I meant interactions like trying to boost 10000000 volts with electrium z doesn't work.

Given that abilities activate based on speed, the slowest Tapu (usually Bulu, given it has the lowest speed) will have their terrain activate last.
Thanks! Still interested to know if it has the same order of activation as other abilities though for identifying Scarf users and such, and whether or not Grass Knot is a contact move still.

Does the color of Minior's core depend on anything like Nature, IVs, etc., or is it completely random?
To add on to this question: is there any way to influence it while breeding? I know most of these Pokemon with different forms can be passed by breeding (Shellos, Pumpkaboo, etc.). Is it true with Minior too?

Does the color of Minior's core depend on anything like Nature, IVs, etc., or is it completely random?
I'm investigating the specific determination as we speak. It will have something to do with the PID (which is where the Nature and IVs are generated also) lol disregard.

Hopefully I can tell from just catching about 25 Minior and examining their PIDs.

Last edited:
What happens if you tried to invoke a Z-move but you were a) encored b) taunted (for status Z-moves) before the move could execute? If the move doesn't execute, are you still able to use your Z-power later?

What do Protective Pads actually protect against? Iron Barbs/Rough skin? Rocky Helmet? Aftermath? Spiky Shield? Anything else?

Does Gastric Acid/Skill Swap/Entrainment work on Comatose? Can you then status the user? What happens when you restore the Ability? Do Dream Eater / Nightmare work on Comatose?

After they've used Burn Up, can you then go and Burn a Fire-type?

Last edited:
What happens if you tried to invoke a Z-move but you were a) encored b) taunted (for status Z-moves) before the move could execute? If the move doesn't execute, are you still able to use your Z-power later?

What do Protective Pads actually protect against? Iron Barbs/Rough skin? Rocky Helmet? Aftermath? Spiky Shield? Anything else?

Does Gastric Acid/Skill Swap/Entrainment work on Comatose? Can you then status the user? What happens when you restore the Ability? Do Dream Eater / Nightmare work on Comatose?

After they've used Burn Up, can you then go and Burn a Fire-type?
I think that while you could potentially burn the brun up user, they'll lose the burnt status once they switch back.

On a side note, does sparkling aria have double power against burnt pokemons? I mean, like wake-up slap has with asleep pokemons.

So how do spread moves work in Battle Royal? Do they target all three other Pokémon? If so, how much is the damage of spread moves reduced? Is it 25% like in Doubles, or is it more? Is it different when there are three targets than when there are two?

I think that while you could potentially burn the brun up user, they'll lose the burnt status once they switch back.
Shouldn't happen, a Soaked Fire pokemon remains burned after switching out and in again, same with Poison and Paralysis.

Is Heal Block still only something that affects the Pokemon it is used on?
For instance, if I were to have Silvally use Heal Block on an opponent's Pokemon, and then the opponent switched out their mon, would Heal Block still be in effect?

Day 8? Maybe 9, I'm too lazy to count.

Negative Priority works in Psychic Terrain.

Protean Sivally does not change type when using another move.

Impostering a pokemon which has z-moves as a normal move slot only has 1pp.

Choice items are not changed. My calculations earlier were off due to me forgetting about changing the IVs I think...

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I read up on the specifications concerning Prankster and the new mechanics it entails, and something remains a tad bit hazy. Leech Seed from lets say, Prankster Whimsicott. Would that be blocked or not, given it is targeted at the opposing pokemon, but it also works as some sort of field move?

while silvally is holding a memory or when it's not or both?
Both situations do not cause Sivally to change types through protean.

Part 2 of testing (because I managed to do more)

Impostered Pokemon can use z-moves with respective z-stones and through the above mentioned method.

apologies if this was answered, but: how does tailwind work under psychic terrain? does it only apply to pokemon not touching the ground, in that case?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
apologies if this was answered, but: how does tailwind work under psychic terrain? does it only apply to pokemon not touching the ground, in that case?
Tailwind does not affect priority. If you were thinking of Gale Wings Tailwind, that is a field effect and not affected by Psychic Terrain.

Does Sheer Cold affect Ice-type Pokémon if it is Electrified?
Does the dependency of its accuracy on the user typing depend on Electrification?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)