Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Edit: posting here for records. Battery boosts SpA of the ally by 1.3x
Confirming this (just did the calcs and was about to post, and then I saw that its already been posted). Someone asked if it boosts the user's own SpA - it doesn't and doesn't seem to have any apparent use in singles. Also, as the boost is applied to the stat and not the damage, the resultant damage numbers are a bit different from, say, Life Orb. Consequently, it also works with moves like Psyshock and Secret Sword, as their damage depends on SpA.

Although Dazzling blocks moves called by a Prankster 'mon using stuff like Metronome and Assist, if a Prankster 'mon uses Instruct or After You to make its ally attack in the +1 priority bracket, that attack is not blocked by the foe's Dazzling.

Confirming this (just did the calcs and was about to post, and then I saw that its already been posted). Someone asked if it boosts the user's own SpA - it doesn't and doesn't seem to have any apparent use in singles. Also, as the boost is applied to the stat and not the damage, the resultant damage numbers are a bit different from, say, Life Orb. Consequently, it also works with moves like Psyshock and Secret Sword, as their damage depends on SpA.

Although Dazzling blocks moves called by a Prankster 'mon using stuff like Metronome and Assist, if a Prankster 'mon uses Instruct or After You to make its ally attack in the +1 priority bracket, that attack is not blocked by the foe's Dazzling.
That explains the random calculation that I got, I figured that it was from me not going to max hp from recovering (since it didn't happen again). Tagging Marty since he was asking me to test this.

At this point this shouldn't matter much, but fwiw, confirming that the -ate abilities (or at least Pixilate and Galvanize) are 1.2x.

Tested a 0 atk Galvanize A-Golem's (276 atk stat) 102 bp Return against a 252+ def Blissey (130 def). Was able to roll 279 as well as 328 damage, so there shouldn't be a shadow of doubt that Galvanize is 1.2x.

Pixilate test was similarly conclusive. 252+ Sylveon (350 SpA) vs 252/4 Blissey (307 SpD) did 133-157.

• Does the Symbiosis+Eject button glitch still work?
It seems to have been fixed. Now Symbiosis doesn't pass an item at all when switching out due to eject button. Even if the 'mon that switched out returns to the field, Symbiosis doesn't give it an item.

• Does the Eject Button still not activate when the Pokemon gets hit by Sheer Force boosted moves and Knock Off?
Both of those still fail to activate Eject Button.

Last edited:
Firstly, is Custap Berry in Gen 7?
If yes, if custap activates under psychic terrain, is the move disabled? Reason I ask is to see if wobbuffet can make a good check to some of the psychic spam going around in ubers.

If yes, if custap activates under psychic terrain, is the move disabled? Reason I ask is to see if wobbuffet can make a good check to some of the psychic spam going around in ubers.
I don't know about Custap being in Gen 7, but Custap doesn't really increase the priority of your move, it effectively just gives you max speed. Custap activated move with 0 priority will still lose out to a +1 priority move. Thus I don't think it would be affected by Psychic Terrain.

Custap Berry does not give priority. It just lets you move first in your priority bracket.

I have no idea whether it's obtainable ingame, but I doubt it is yet.

The answer is probably no, and I have no logical reason to think this except "I want it to happen", but does Light Ball boost speed now?

Fun fact: If Toucannon is asleep and tries to use Beak Blast, the "heating beak" phase still occurs, and it can still burn Pokemon who make direct contact with it. I assume this "heating beak" phase also can dethaw it if it's frozen, but I haven't tested it yet. I don't have Ice Beam or Blizzard yet.

What's the deal with Hyper Training and lV adjustment? originally I thought you could change iv stats with the bottle caps, but serebii says differently now. they say it's a superficial change and that the IV and hidden power doesn't actually change?

Is it even permanent?

It's permanent. It doesn't change the underlying IVs; it sets a flag that causes stat calculations to behave as if that IV were maxed, but breeding and Hidden Power use the original value.

Does Battery have any other secret effect other than boosting special attack by x1.3?
I mostly ask because although Vikavolt is clearly set up to abuse Charjabug, the totem battle doesn't abuse it. I guess I'm curious if Battery might also boost electric attacks of allies as well as special attack.

In game stuff not using set ups probably is nothing new, but it doesn't hurt to ask after the great Water Bubble debacle

Beak Blast fails to burn in Rain. I noticed this when I was surfing around in Route 14 and ran into a Tentacool.

I can't record 3DS footage, so someone else might have to do that.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In light of the above post, we should check if Rain stops burns from other sources (read: Scald).

Does Sliggoo still not evolve if it was not raining before the battle started, but is then created by a move or ability?

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How does Sheer Force interact with Z moves? If I skill swap an Alolan Raichu Sheer Force and use Stoked Sparksurfer does the target get paralyzed or does the move get boosted to 1.3x without paralyzing them?

Could someone please test to see if hypnosis misses more vs dark types? A gengar seemed to miss it's hypnosis an unusual number of times on my alolan rattata

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)