Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
does Triage apply to Z-Aromatherapy?

do z-moves that heal (Mist, Refresh, Conversion2, Aromatherapy) for 100%? I'm getting a lot of mixed responses since Serebii says its 25% while 100% seems to be the general consensus here.

hello important research development from smogon researcher dtc

hariyama knock off to slowbro w/ waterium z: went from 154 hp to 70
hariyama knock off to slowbro w/ stick: went from 154 hp to 42

this is beyond the range of variation of dmg calcs. knock off is 65 bp (or at least not 97.5) vs z stones.

Last edited:

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Moongeist Beam doesn't bypass Shadow Shield

ZDLG-WWWW-WWWX-5LYL

I also could've tested Moongeist Beam vs Disguise but I freaked out and didn't do that. Shouldn't be hard to do, however.

EDIT: It hits through disguise

EDIT2: Just tested this vs Multiscale Lugia. Moongeist Beam hits through Multiscale (~60% damage). I wonder what's up...

EDIT3: It's not a damage roll:
252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunala: 244-292 (100 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT4: Sunsteel Strike does not bypass Shadow Shield, but bypasses Multiscale

EDIT5: Teravolt does NOT bypass Shadow Shield. Also Zekrom's Flash failed vs Solgaleo.

Perhaps Prism Armor also ignores mold breaker stuff...

Last edited:
Since KS now triggers the atk drop against immune moves, what are the mechanics of using Feint against a Aegislash using King's Shield? does it lower atk/remove protection/do dmg without foresight etc?

Full HP Minior in Core form is a thing.
If one heals Minior outside of battle while it's in the Core form (aka after being weakened to below 50%), it will stay so until a turn passes. That way, if it's the Pokémon leading the party, it will spend one full turn in Core form and then (assuming it didn't receive over 50% damage) turn back into Meteor form. Similarly, if it's switched in mid-turn, it will receive any incoming damage with its more fragile Core form. However, if it switches in after an ally faints, the turn will end after it does so and it will go into Meteor form immediately.

Full HP Minior in Core form is a thing.
If one heals Minior outside of battle while it's in the Core form (aka after being weakened to below 50%), it will stay so until a turn passes. That way, if it's the Pokémon leading the party, it will spend one full turn in Core form and then (assuming it didn't receive over 50% damage) turn back into Meteor form. Similarly, if it's switched in mid-turn, it will receive any incoming damage with its more fragile Core form. However, if it switches in after an ally faints, the turn will end after it does so and it will go into Meteor form immediately.
Can this be exploited to start with a Core Minior in an online battle?

When does Soul-Heart take effect? At the end of the turn or as soon as a Pokemon gets KOed?

Let's say Magearna uses Explosion (or any other spread move. Maybe something like Earthquake, even though it cannot learn the move) and KOes the partner and the opponents. Does it get progressively more powerful as the other Pokemon get KOed or it only gets the jump to +3 after attacking?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some person's poor excuse of a Pheromosa counter reminded me of something.

1) are the power boosts the same for Gems as they were in XY or reverted back to BW?
2) has any other than Normal been found? Data mine supposedly shows the items existing but that is it.

When does Soul-Heart take effect? At the end of the turn or as soon as a Pokemon gets KOed?

Let's say Magearna uses Explosion (or any other spread move. Maybe something like Earthquake, even though it cannot learn the move) and KOes the partner and the opponents. Does it get progressively more powerful as the other Pokemon get KOed or it only gets the jump to +3 after attacking?
Damage is already calculated on all pokemon before anything faints

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Can this be exploited to start with a Core Minior in an online battle?
In theory yes, but that would need to be tested.

Some person's poor excuse of a Pheromosa counter reminded me of something.

1) are the power boosts the same for Gems as they were in XY or reverted back to BW?
2) has any other than Normal been found? Data mine supposedly shows the items existing but that is it.
I didn't even know Normal Gem was available in-game, so my guess is that there are no non-Normal Gems just like in XYORAS. They would steal Z-Crystal's thunder, after all.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In theory yes, but that would need to be tested.

I didn't even know Normal Gem was available in-game, so my guess is that there are no non-Normal Gems just like in XYORAS. They would steal Z-Crystal's thunder, after all.
Per Serebii there is supposedly a Normal Gem on Route 15.

but they lied to me and said Kadabra learned Confusion at Level 16 and got Kinesis instead. Bastard Gamefreak.

ZDLG-WWWW-WWWX-5LYL

I also could've tested Moongeist Beam vs Disguise but I freaked out and didn't do that. Shouldn't be hard to do, however.

EDIT2: Just tested this vs Multiscale Lugia. Moongeist Beam hits through Multiscale (~60% damage). I wonder what's up...

252 SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lunala: 244-292 (100 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

EDIT5: Teravolt does NOT bypass Shadow Shield. Also Zekrom's Flash failed vs Solgaleo.

Does the actual Mold Breaker ability or any of its variants ignore disguise? Wondering how possible it is that some list somewhere wasn't updated for new abilities and/or that "mold breaking moves" function differently to the ability.

I've got a list of questions if anyone would like to tackle it. I didn't see answers to these in the OP so I apologize if they've been asked or answered before. Some of these would be almost never encountered in standard competitive play but never hurts to be accurate!

• How do Disguise, Battle Bond, and Receiver interact with the following list: Trace, Skill Swap, Role Play, Gastro Acid, Worry Seed, Entrainment, Mummy, Simple Beam, Receiver? [For Disguise specifically, can Mimikyu Skill Swap Disguise to an opponent to effectively remove its ability? How about the reverse? Does losing the ability with Disguise up cancel the Disguise?]
  • Does breaking a Disguise cause recoil damage (Flare Blitz, etc.) or item effects (Red Card, Rocky Helmet, etc.)
  • How does Dancer determine who to target in terms of copying attacking moves in doubles? Does it target the same target (what if the target is an ally?)? Target the attacker? Random valid target?
  • Does Normalize provide a boost to moves already Normal Type? (I think its a no, but just double checking)
  • Does Aroma Veil and White Herb have any interaction with Throat Chop?
  • Whats the fling power for Memories?
  • How much does Pollen Puff heal? Is it a fixed percentage or does it calculate damage and just heal that much instead?

Also as some contribution to the thread, a Pokemon with Stench can cause flinch with a Z-Move.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher

ZDLG-WWWW-WWWX-5LYL

I've actually already looked at all this stuff and I have no idea how I completely blanked at the Moongeist Beam vs Shadow Shield calc. I even made a post about all this earlier in the thread saying that there was "no special interaction" between Shadow Shield and Moongeist Beam, which looks like I meant "it does normal damage" but in reality I meant it did half! I forgot Moongeist beam was SUPPOSED to bypass abilities, and when it didn't I was like "yep that's a Multiscale damage roll, moving on." I feel so dumb now lmao.

Confirming Shadow Shield, Full Metal Body, and Prism Armor all ignore Mold Breaker effects.

That's an incredibly odd effect.

So... what happens with a Teravolt Electric-type attack on a Shadow Shield/Full Metal Body/Prism Armor user when there's a partner with Lightningrod? Going with how it has worked so far, the attack should be redirected, but...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
That's an incredibly odd effect.

So... what happens with a Teravolt Electric-type attack on a Shadow Shield/Full Metal Body/Prism Armor user when there's a partner with Lightningrod? Going with how it has worked so far, the attack should be redirected, but...
I... don't follow this? Unless my memory is awful, Lightningrod's redirect effect is flat out ignored by Mold Breaker clones, making it always hit the intended target. The only thing that would change is that, say, a Tentacruel with Prism Armor would take 25% less damage from a Mold Breaker Thunderbolt, but the Thunderbolt would still hit the Tentacruel and not it's Lightningrod partner because Mold Breaker removes Lightningrod from the equation entirely.

How does Sheer Force interact with Z moves? If I skill swap an Alolan Raichu Sheer Force and use Stoked Sparksurfer does the target get paralyzed or does the move get boosted to 1.3x without paralyzing them?
Stoked Sparksurfer gets the Sheer Force boost, and as such, won't paralyze.

My Wimpod was holding an assault vest and Wimp Out wouldn't activate. But as soon as I took it off it did.

Has this happened to anyone else?

But I could have been mistaking about how the ability actually works.

I did not see this on the front page so:

If I use Rest on Minior while still in meteor form, does it regain its health but not fall asleep?
Similarly, what happens if I use Rest on Minior when in squishy form? Does it fall asleep but then wake up after changing back to meteor form?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)