Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

I've got a list of questions if anyone would like to tackle it. I didn't see answers to these in the OP so I apologize if they've been asked or answered before. Some of these would be almost never encountered in standard competitive play but never hurts to be accurate!

• How do Disguise, Battle Bond, and Receiver interact with the following list: Trace, Skill Swap, Role Play, Gastro Acid, Worry Seed, Entrainment, Mummy, Simple Beam, Receiver? [For Disguise specifically, can Mimikyu Skill Swap Disguise to an opponent to effectively remove its ability? How about the reverse? Does losing the ability with Disguise up cancel the Disguise?]
  • Does breaking a Disguise cause recoil damage (Flare Blitz, etc.) or item effects (Red Card, Rocky Helmet, etc.)
  • How does Dancer determine who to target in terms of copying attacking moves in doubles? Does it target the same target (what if the target is an ally?)? Target the attacker? Random valid target?
  • Does Normalize provide a boost to moves already Normal Type? (I think its a no, but just double checking)
  • Does Aroma Veil and White Herb have any interaction with Throat Chop?
  • Whats the fling power for Memories?
  • How much does Pollen Puff heal? Is it a fixed percentage or does it calculate damage and just heal that much instead?

Also as some contribution to the thread, a Pokemon with Stench can cause flinch with a Z-Move.
I can't answer all of these, but I've got a passimian on my team so I can answer some of the questions about receiver. Worry seed and and gastro acid both work like normal. I imagine the other ones will too (not really testing things; I've just stumbled into the first two), although it'll probably fail if you receive receiver. I've only tested the first bit though.

I... don't follow this? Unless my memory is awful, Lightningrod's redirect effect is flat out ignored by Mold Breaker clones, making it always hit the intended target. The only thing that would change is that, say, a Tentacruel with Prism Armor would take 25% less damage from a Mold Breaker Thunderbolt, but the Thunderbolt would still hit the Tentacruel and not it's Lightningrod partner because Mold Breaker removes Lightningrod from the equation entirely.
My wording was terrible, I admit, but you did understand what I was asking after all :P

So, a final question about those three abilities: do they only ignore Mold Breaker-like effects, or anything that affects the damage they receive? (e.g. Do they ignore Sheer Force?)

Something I've been wondering about: What happens if Ditto copies

1. Zygarde before it changes to Perfect Zygarde. Does Power Construct activate on Ditto if it falls below 50% HP and if yes, does it change base HP?

2. Wishiwashi in School form. Does Ditto lose School form if it falls below 25% HP? What happens if you change into a Wishiwashi below 25%, does Ditto, still having full HP, change to School form?

3. Battle Bond Greninja before it gets a kill. Will Ditto change into Ash Greninja if it then KOs something?

4. Minior in Meteor/Core form.

Can an Exeggcute/Pikachu/Cubone transferred from previous games evolve into their Alolan forms? Relevant for previous gen tutor moves like Stealth Rock Cubone.

For Alola Golem, does using Charge boost the power of a Galvanized Normal move the next turn? And does Galvanized Explosion get STAB?

Last edited:

1. Zygarde before it changes to Perfect Zygarde. Does Power Construct activate on Ditto if it falls below 50% HP and if yes, does it change base HP?

2. Wishiwashi in School form. Does Ditto lose School form if it falls below 25% HP? What happens if you change into a Wishiwashi below 25%, does Ditto, still having full HP, change to School form?

3. Battle Bond Greninja before it gets a kill. Will Ditto change into Ash Greninja if it then KOs something?

5. Mimikyu when its Disguise is broken.

I've actually already looked at all this stuff and I have no idea how I completely blanked at the Moongeist Beam vs Shadow Shield calc. I even made a post about all this earlier in the thread saying that there was "no special interaction" between Shadow Shield and Moongeist Beam, which looks like I meant "it does normal damage" but in reality I meant it did half! I forgot Moongeist beam was SUPPOSED to bypass abilities, and when it didn't I was like "yep that's a Multiscale damage roll, moving on." I feel so dumb now lmao.

Confirming Shadow Shield, Full Metal Body, and Prism Armor all ignore Mold Breaker effects.
Well, at least that softens the blow a bit of them just being fancy renames of existing abilities. Now, if Air Lock, Teravolt and Turboblaze could get that same treatment, that'd be grand.

How exactly do the Z-Stones work with the -late abilities?

I've tried Electrium-Z on Galvanize Golem, but it couldn't be used at all on Galvanized moves. Normalium-Z ended up just being a normal move despite Galvanize. This was all on Showdown, but does it work the same in-game?

I'm still a little confused about the Abilities that change forme according to HP; this could include Zen Mode as well as Shields Down and Schooling, hopefully they all have the same mechanics.
  • What happens if you lose HP and switch out before the end of the turn (perhaps using an Eject Button, or if you took Rocky Helment/Rough Skin/Iron Barbs damage from U-turn)?
  • What happens if you gain HP and switch out before the end of the turn (perhaps because your opponent roars or whirlwinds you out)?
If you switch out in the "wrong" forme, then what happens if:
  • You switch in normally
  • You switch in before the end of the turn (via U-turn, Whirlwind etc.)
  • You switch in to replace a fainted Pokémon
Do you change forme when you switch in or at the end of the turn?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'm still a little confused about the Abilities that change forme according to HP; this could include Zen Mode as well as Shields Down and Schooling, hopefully they all have the same mechanics.
  • What happens if you lose HP and switch out before the end of the turn (perhaps using an Eject Button, or if you took Rocky Helment/Rough Skin/Iron Barbs damage from U-turn)?
  • What happens if you gain HP and switch out before the end of the turn (perhaps because your opponent roars or whirlwinds you out)?
If you switch out in the "wrong" forme, then what happens if:
  • You switch in normally
  • You switch in before the end of the turn (via U-turn, Whirlwind etc.)
  • You switch in to replace a fainted Pokémon
Do you change forme when you switch in or at the end of the turn?
Your forme change is in the end steps of the end of the turn (same as Zen Mode in prior games). This means that if you leave the field before forme switching you won't forme switch until a turn ends while that Pokemon is active.

I did not see this on the front page so:

If I use Rest on Minior while still in meteor form, does it regain its health but not fall asleep?
Similarly, what happens if I use Rest on Minior when in squishy form? Does it fall asleep but then wake up after changing back to meteor form?
Rest fails. Changing to Meteor forme doesn't cure status.

My Wimpod was holding an assault vest and Wimp Out wouldn't activate. But as soon as I took it off it did.

Has this happened to anyone else?

But I could have been mistaking about how the ability actually works.
It was likely that you were encountering wild Pokemon that were calling for help, because that disables wimp out/emergency exit.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have contact-effect abilities (Poison Touch, Static, Flame Body, Cursed Body, etc) been buffed? The Protective Pads item has me suspicious-contact effect abilities were too infrequently-triggered to be useful last gen and few people ran them, but if they've been buffed in some way, that would be a reason to add a new item to reduce their impact.

Similarly, if Cursed Body has been buffed, then Gengar might not have been as badly nerfed as previously thought.

I would try to figure this out myself, but I don't know enough about statistics to know what a good sample size and stuff is.

My sleeping Toucannon entered Beak Blast's charge phase without waking up, then woke up in order to execute the move later in the round.

My sleeping Toucannon entered Beak Blast's charge phase without waking up, then woke up in order to execute the move later in the round.
The charging phase always triggers, regardless of whether or not Toucannon wakes up. Need someone else to prove, but I saw this in action. EDIT: This probably extends to Paralysis as well. Can someone also test this?

Question: Does Silvally's type change with standard Z Crystals just as Arceus' type does? Likely answer is no, but confirmation would be nice.

Ditto copies abilities as well, right? Well, then wouldn't the abilities effects still take place? (Note: None of this has been tested actually, but it's what I would assume lol) Wishiwashi: It would most likely transform into School form, until its HP drops to 25% or below. Greninja: I think it would just turn into regular Greninja. Once it got a kill, then I think it'd transform.

As for Minior and Zygarde, I'm not sure how that works honestly .-.

Another thing: Does Zygarde restore HP upon activating Power Construct, and if so, is it a percentage or a raw amount equal to gained base HP?
Zygarde does restore HP upon activating Power Construct. If that weren't the case, Power Construct would be entirely pointless because Complete Zygarde's only stat differences compared to 50% are 108 more base HP and 10 less base Speed.
The amount of HP restored is equal to the amount of max HP it gains. (At level 50, this amount is 108; at level 100, this amount is 216.) Unlike many other abilities that change formes depending on remaining HP, Power Construct does not revert upon reaching over 50% HP.

Zygarde does restore HP upon activating Power Construct. If that weren't the case, Power Construct would be entirely pointless because Complete Zygarde's only stat differences compared to 50% are 108 more base HP and 10 less base Speed.
The amount of HP restored is equal to the amount of max HP it gains. Unlike many other abilities that change formes depending on remaining HP, Power Construct does not revert upon reaching over 50% HP.
Wow. I loved Zygarde before, but dang. ParaShuffler sounds even more fun now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)