Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Went ahead and tested Disguise more thoroughly to add to the info in the OP.
Trivial / Expected:
  1. Disguise can activate only once for each Mimikyu, but multiple Mimikyus can each have Disguise activate in a battle.
  2. Secondary effects of moves occur before Disguise is busted (e.g. Shadow Ball gets a Special Defense drop, Scald gets a burn, etc. then Disguise is busted).
  3. Disguise can activate at any HP.
  4. OHKO moves do not bypass Disguise.
  5. Non-direct damage cannot bust Disguise; I tested Toxic, Wood Hammer recoil, Aftermath, and Rocky Helmet, none of which busted Disguise.
  6. Skill Swap / Role Play / Gastro Acid / Worry Seed / Entrainment / Simple Beam have no effect on Disguise. If Mimikyu uses Skill Swap / Role Play / Entrainment via Mimic or Copycat, it will fail.
  7. Trace cannot copy Disguise, which causes it to always copy Mimikyu's partner's Ability for Doubles, or activate as soon as another Traceable Ability switches in for Singles.
  8. Receiver / Power of Alchemy cannot take Disguise. Mummy does not force Mimikyu to change Abilities.
Slightly more interesting:
  1. If a recoil move (e.g. Flare Blitz) is used on Disguise, the Pokemon using Flare Blitz takes no recoil damage. If Mimikyu holds Rocky Helmet, the attacker still takes Rocky Helmet damage.
  2. Ditto / Smeargle using Transform cannot activate Disguise, regardless if Mimikyu was busted or not at the time of Transforming. Transform does copy Mimikyu's current Disguise state (busted or not busted).
  3. Illusion copies Mimikyu's current Disguise state (busted or not busted).
  4. Eject Button / Red Card / Kee Berry trigger after Disguise is busted.
  5. Damage-halving Berries (for Mimikyu's case, Babiri, Kebia, and Kasib) will not activate if Disguise is intact.
Also, confirming pretty much everything said in the OP.

Abilities do not influence z-moves at all, end of discussion.
By this, I mean the users abilities (before someone asks).
That statement is still much too general, and as a matter of fact, somewhat inaccurate. After seeing this I went ahead and checked many abilities. Most of them functioned with Z-moves in the same manner as they do with normal moves. Do keep in mind that all of these were tested with legit Z-moves and not hacked ones like the ones we see in the BH meta.
  • Protean changed type to match that of the Z-move.
  • Mold Breaker let the user's Z-move bypass Water Absorb, Flash Fire, etc.
  • Pure Power doubled atk when calculating damage with Z-moves.
  • Gale Wings gave +1 priority to Supersonic Skystrike.
  • Long Reach Entrainment'd onto Snorlax kept it from triggering Goodra's Gooey with P. Pancake (w/o Long Reach it triggered Gooey as normal).
  • Sheer Force Ent'd onto A-Raichu removed para from Sparksurfer (didn't do calcs to see if damage was boosted).
  • Merciless turned Z-moves into crits against poisoned 'mons.
The only anomalies I found were Parental Bond (which, as I mentioned a while ago, didn't give a second attack-it's in the OP, too) and the -ates, which did nothing.

Last edited:
And hacked Z-Moves are affected by Mold Breaker as well and unaffected by Parental Bond and -ates as well. Also, from what I've learned, there's a graphical glitch that occurs whenever the hacked Z-Move is used on the opponent's Pokemon: the HP drop isn't shown until the end of turn or the healing move is used. This glitch occurs only when opponent's Pokemon are attacked, ally Pokemon are unaffected (checked the aforementioned with Pulverizing Pancake Aerilate/Mold Breaker Fearow and Air Balloon Wonder Guard Grimer-Alola with Heal Pulse, wild Exeggcute and Doubles Battle Tree)

So... a few posts ago, I was wondering if Cute Charm, Cursed Body, etc may have been buffed due to the seemingly unwarranted addition of the "protective pads" item.

I was just chaining a few clefairy, when I got bored and decided I'd do some stat tracking. I had a Male Decidueye using False Swipe on it. Ignoring all the False Swipes that missed as a result of it spamming Minimize, Cute Charm seemed to trigger 5/8 times.

How exactly would I know if Cute Charm has definitely been buffed to trigger 50% of the time instead of its usual 30%?

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Has Bite's flinch chance been buffed? I feel like I've been flinching more often than normal (5 times in a row in the first trial) and am wondering how unlucky I am

Has Bite's flinch chance been buffed? I feel like I've been flinching more often than normal (5 times in a row in the first trial) and am wondering how unlucky I am
It might be worth looking into, as I feel like I got more flinches than normal with my Rockruff while he still had bite. Could just be coincidental... I don't think we have a move (save for fake out) with more than a 30% flinch chance, right?

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It might be worth looking into, as I feel like I got more flinches than normal with my Rockruff while he still had bite. Could just be coincidental... I don't think we have a move (save for fake out) with more than a 30% flinch chance, right?
Yeah, no that I think about it, my Alolan Grimer also got a very high amount of flinches. But as far as I know, nothing has higher chance of flinching (except for Skill Link King's Rock things, but those aren't exactly specific moves).

It was noted that Emergency Exit proc stops Volt Switch switching effect from happening.
I observed the same thing with U-turn. Specifically, if U-turn activates Emergency Exit and Emergency Exit causes the ability holder to switch, the U-turn user does not get to switch.

I do not know if this applies if the Emergency Exit pokemon is the last member of its team.

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
If an Alakazam mega evolves against a Pokémon with Swift Swimmer, can it immediatly outspeed it with Trace?
I've just tested this ingame and yes, it immediatly outspeeds so any traced ability is actived when it megas. This is wrong in Pokemon Showdown for now

The proof: QGGW-WWWW-WWWX-GR3E

I can't record it but the video is there if anyone wants to check it.

PS: Thanks Axel10 for testing out this with me :P

Last edited:
I've just tested this ingame and yes, it immediatly outspeeds so any traced ability is actived when it megas. This is wrong in Pokemon Showdown for now

The proof: QGGW-WWWW-WWWX-GR3E

I can't record it but the video is there if anyone wants to check it.

PS: Thanks Axel10 for testing out this with me :P
Can we assume, then, that the activation of every speed-changing effect instantly changes the turn order?

Let's say this example:

There's a Pokemon that has Rain Dance, a Pokemon with Swift Swim and a third Pokemon.

The turn order normally goes like this: Rain Dance user -> Third Pokemon -> Swift Swimmer.

If the first Pokemon uses Rain Dance... does the Swift Swimmer immediately move before the third Pokemon?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Can we assume, then, that the activation of every speed-changing effect instantly changes the turn order?

Let's say this example:

There's a Pokemon that has Rain Dance, a Pokemon with Swift Swim and a third Pokemon.

The turn order normally goes like this: Rain Dance user -> Third Pokemon -> Swift Swimmer.

If the first Pokemon uses Rain Dance... does the Swift Swimmer immediately move before the third Pokemon?
It shouldn't - Mega Evolving Drought doesn't mean Chlorophyll is immediately active for example. What that really means is a reaffirmation that mega speed tiers and mega abilities (even traced ones) come into effect before turn order is decided.

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
It shouldn't - Mega Evolving Drought doesn't mean Chlorophyll is immediately active for example. What that really means is a reaffirmation that mega speed tiers and mega abilities (even traced ones) come into effect before turn order is decided.
Yep, this stays the same. I've tryed with a max Speed Magikarp(Yea, It's what i had in mind), and it didn't outspeed a Starmie at the same turn Rain Dance was activated.

Komala is permanently asleep without the status actually being applied and is thus immune to all status - does Dream Eater always work on it or does it always fail?

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Komala is permanently asleep without the status actually being applied and is thus immune to all status - does Dream Eater always work on it or does it always fail?
Yep, it always works(Well, I only did one turn but it should be the same for all situations)

Proof: K4YW-WWWW-WWWX-HBXT

i'm hearing reports that the berries that can confuse if -stat matches the old gen 3 disliked flavor now heal by 50% instead of 1/8th HP

ie figy/mago berries.

can someone confirm?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The above was mentioned on this Japanese site, if I'm reading this correctly

http://amalgame.jp/sunmoon-datamine-item/

Japanese said:
「フィラのみ」など 残りHPが1/2以下になった時、最大HPの1/8回復→残りHPが1/4以下になった時、最大HPの1/2回復(苦手な味を食べると『こんらん』状態になるのは継続。)
Enjoy your full health Belly Drum Gluttony Linoones.

Also apparently mentions that Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin now causes the holder/user to lose in double KO situations (self KO clause)?

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Jeez that's a huge change to the confusion berries.

Also reminder that Bite is already at a pretty good flinch chance, so it's likely just confirmation bias, but I'll give it a shot and see if an initial test comes up with anything.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Also reminder that Bite is already at a pretty good flinch chance, so it's likely just confirmation bias, but I'll give it a shot and see if an initial test comes up with anything.
No need to test any flinch chances since they're part of the move data: none of them changed. The only reason there's a (!) next to Bite in Kazo's moves dump is because it had the mystery flag in Gen 6 (which went unused), and now it doesn't.

In other news, Purify fails when used on a Pokemon with Comatose.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
No need to test any flinch chances since they're part of the move data: none of them changed. The only reason there's a (!) next to Bite in Kazo's moves dump is because it had the mystery flag in Gen 6 (which went unused), and now it doesn't.

In other news, Purify fails when used on a Pokemon with Comatose.
You're too late I already ran trials and got about a 34% flinch chance ;-;

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Can somebody please either confirm or deny if Confusion got changed in any way.
The move Confusion did not get changed, the status however did. Now a Pokemon has a chance to hit itself 1/3 of the time rather than 1/2 of the time when confused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)