Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Isn't Ash-Greninja copied from the demo? Or is there some kind of flag that prevents you from copying it to the same save more than once?
It's Nature-locked in the demo, but not in the actual game when you pick it up from the guy in the Pokemon center. You don't get the same Greninja as the one from the demo.

Reactions: Edu
Did a quick test vs Kahili. 10 Water Shurikens were fired, all of them hit 3 times (it was also nice that she had a mandibuzz who can tank it and spam Roost, allowing me to use it a lot without sweeping her team)
So now we know, Water Shuriken when used by Greninja-Ash is effectively 60 BP. This is honestly kind of a strange modification of the move, but it does make it very consistent.

The player's guide also says Helping Hand will make the ally's Pollen Puff heal more than 50% HP if used on an ally (the Helping Hand user) or deal more damage (obviously) to the opponent if used against them.

Last edited:
Rough Skin Garchomp is not legal right no pre-pokebank. I just did 5 250+ linked SOS battle and none of the Gabites had Rough Skin. I feel like this sample size is large enough to prove it unless I am extremely unlucky.

Edit: if it does exist it is incredibly rare because I killed 6 shiny Sandiles doing this.

This might sound dumb but this may indicate the possibility that there is other factors for those ability to show up, since your stats are impossible ace combat otherwise.
For example, we may compare the location were you were chaining compared to cheeriohz's pal, if the call for help was from a pokemon of the same species or some stupid mechanic like that because you can't chain 30 hours without finding one. Or else you were checking rough skin with decidueye or a non contact move i guess lol

This might sound dumb but this may indicate the possibility that there is other factors for those ability to show up, since your stats are impossible ace combat otherwise.
For example, we may compare the location were you were chaining compared to cheeriohz's pal, if the call for help was from a pokemon of the same species or some stupid mechanic like that because you can't chain 30 hours without finding one. Or else you were checking rough skin with decidueye or a non contact move i guess lol
I was using a level 70 Pangoro with the moveset Substitute, Entrainment, Karate Chop and False Swipe and the item Saftey Glasses. I have 7 max elixirs so that I can keep the chain going and have used a pp max on Karate chop. I would check the Gabite's ability with entrainment before killing them to keep the chain going. I did this 5 times and still did not get a hidden ability Gabite. 30 hours might have been an exaggeration but I spent all day yesterday, all night, and then a 6 hour session today trying to get it. Guess I'm really that unlucky, thought I had a large enough sample size because I probably saw 200 Gabites

(Apologies if this has been mentioned already.)

Emergency Exit doesn't trigger during SOS chain battles. Haven't had the chance to test other multi-battle situations yet.

Tried Rock Blast against a wild Hakamo-o and Bullet Proof blocked it. Don't see anything about that listed on Serebii, can someone confirm if this is new behaviour or if I'm crazy and it's always been there.

And we finally get the reason that epic-looking Water Shuriken against Alain's Mega Charizard-X ended up doing almost nothing - it was actually kind of weak :P
Lmao

As a priority move though that's pretty strong since it gets STAB too along with BB's boosted base SpAtt.

I'm hoping Battle Frontier eventually has move tutors that grant BB Greninja something to make him more viable in competitive than Protean Greninja. So far, I still prefer Protean for competitive battling over BB.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I rly didn't want to be the one to have to test this but since nobody else seems to want to, I ran a preliminary trial for sleep:

RAW:
32312333112312321312232213331231321111221122232223112112313132211311333112312212

Out of 80 Attempts:

1 Turn Sleeps: 29

2 Turn Sleeps: 27

3 Turn Sleeps: 24

AFAIK Sleep in Gen 6 just rolls 1-3 turn sleep beforehand on a dieroll, for 1/3 for each. While a sample size of 80 is by no means absolutely definite, this initial sample size doesn't suggest that this has changed. You can't take the (insignificant) differences between sleep turn counts in my initial trial and roll them into a "clean" % change that Gamefreak would use. In combination with total Sleep Turns being unchanged (1-3), I think there's enough evidence here that Gamefreak is finally happy with the sleep mechanic and it's wholly unchanged in SM.

Tried Rock Blast against a wild Hakamo-o and Bullet Proof blocked it. Don't see anything about that listed on Serebii, can someone confirm if this is new behaviour or if I'm crazy and it's always been there.
Yes, it looks like Bulletproof now blocks Rock Blast. I decided to further investigate moves with similar English and Japanese names as Rock Blast and Beak Blast was also blocked by Bulletproof.

I tested all these already. If you want the full list of moves that have similar NA/JAP names that I tested and AREN'T blocked:

Blast Burn, Fire Blast, Moonblast, Techno Blast, Anchor Shot, Aeroblast, Bullet Punch, and Hydro Cannon
Can you test if Bulletproof extends to Explosion moves like Shell Trap and...well, Explosion?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interactions between Z-moves that make contact and special Protects

If you use a z-move that makes contact (i.e. Malicious Moonsault and Catastropika), you will attack through special Protects (i.e. King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Baneful Bunker) like you would a regular protect, but you will still be inflicted with the secondary effect (i.e. -2 atk from King's Shield).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Can you test if Bulletproof extends to Explosion moves like Shell Trap and...well, Explosion?
Nada, but made me test Shell Trap and Focus Punch with new Stance Change. Both change you at the -3 priority bracket, obviously, and Focus Punch flinch doesn't change to Blade Forme, but Shell Trap fail does change you.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483584176

turn 8 confuses me, how can I take recoil from the life orb if it wasn't used for an attack?
worked like that in gen 6, probably works like that in gen 7
Confirming that this is how it works in Gen 7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)