Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Just to be clear, this isn't a special property of Floral Healing or anything. You can freely hit your allies with priority moves even during Psychic Terrain.
Tested O-wing, Strength sap (triage), swagger, taunt, and heal pulse (prankster) all work in psychic terrain on allies only. Also, ally dark types can be hit by a status move used by a prankster user (used the same 3 moves).
I had heard a lot of people saying the opposite in Showdown, but wasn't entirely convinced. It is good to know that Comfey can still heal a Tapu Lele ally then.

I don't know if this would be the right place to put this but water bubble on the damage calculater isn't being applied.

I would do the calls myself but I don't really now how to figure it out. Is your attack calculated then applied to the defence then having the end result x2. Or is it x2 before defences. Or is it something along the line of base attack and base power being doubled then applied to defence

I don't know if this would be the right place to put this but water bubble on the damage calculater isn't being applied.

I would do the calls myself but I don't really now how to figure it out. Is your attack calculated then applied to the defence then having the end result x2. Or is it x2 before defences. Or is it something along the line of base attack and base power being doubled then applied to defence
I was under the impression that it simply doubled the base power of water moves, and didn't have anything to do with the actual attack stat, but I don't really know.

Does the Normalize boost apply to all moves? In particular, does it affect moves that are already normal, and does it boost things like Hidden Power whose type doesn't get changed by Normalize?

We know that Z-Me First changes the move it copies into the corresponding Z-Move, but does the resulting Z-Move still get Me First's usual 50% power buff?

Battle Bond Greninja Breedable? A Case Study

I was really curious about the possiblity of Hidden Power types besides Ghost being usable on Battle Bond Greninja, so I decided to conduct a study myself if Battle Bond could be obtained via breeding...

I decided to breed battle bond Greninja with Ditto to obtain 100 Froakie eggs (over 3 PC boxes) to establish a sizable experimental group to conduct my study. With the usage of spit, grit, and a whole lot of duct tape, I hatched all 100 of the eggs, under normal conditions to ensure that external programming didn't affect the study. After all 100 of the eggs were hatched, I still had some work to do, after this, but getting all the eggs finally hatched was very satisfying. After the 100 eggs were hatched, I had to evolve all of the Froakie's into Greninjas, which was another laborious process in itself. Lots and lots of grinding later...all 100 Froakie's were evolved and it was time to view my handywork. All 100 Froakies ended up evolving into Torrent Greninjas, ALL 100 OF THEM. Assuming that the chance of passing down a secondary ability is 50/50 if possible via breeding, the chances of this happening is extremely low. If you want to do the math, the odds of the data from this study being incorrect is 7.89*10^-31 in scientific notation. So I believe that I can reasonably conclude that Ash-Greninja is not obtainable via breeding in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Part two of this case study study will be conducted in January after Pokebank comes out for Pokemon Sun and Moon...Stay tuned in until next time
So it can actually breed? Interesting, at least its IVs could be put to use :P

It's kind of like Manaphy, where it can breed but cannot be obtained from breeding.

We already knew from the data mining that Battle Bond Greninja was coded as an alternate form and didn't share ability slots with Torrent/Protean Greninja.

But didn't they say that it was in the unbreedable egg group too...?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
But didn't they say that it was in the unbreedable egg group too...?
Yes, because it is in the Undiscovered egg group. https://paste.ee/r/Pc6nK
Battle Bond Greninja Breedable? A Case Study
The Battle Bond Greninja you did all this unnecessary testing with is actually a hacked regular Greninja with Battle Bond, so please don't bother with the second part of your tests. If you had used an actual Battle Bond Greninja from the demo, the person outside the Daycare would say "They don't seem to like playing together, though.", which means at least one of your two Pokemon is in the Undiscovered egg group, and you will never get any eggs.

Has anyone tested the exact conditions of Stomping Tantrum doubling its power?
I'm also curious about this.

Now for my own question(s):
How exactly does Core Enforcer's effect work? Does the opponent need to have moved or used a move, or does the target just need to have prior damage on it? In the case of the former, does it need to be on the same turn or will it still work if the target has simply used a move, period (for instance, the target has already used a move during the battle and hasn't yet switched out after doing so by the time it gets blasted by Core Enforcer)? Does it actually erase the target's ability like it was said to, or does it only work like Sunsteel Strike/Moongeist Beam in that it merely ignores the target's ability? Once again, I ask if someone can please test this stuff in the games. The conflicting information floating around is leaving me confused.

Last edited:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Instruct: How does Outrage/Petal Dance behave with the move? Use Charge --next turn-> use Electric move -> Instruct Electric move -> is the power still doubled?

Stomping Tantrum: "If the user’s previous move has failed" is pretty vague, does it mean "But it failed!" specifically or launching moves into Protect/immunities/no target as well?
Heh, answering my own questions from the OP here: Instruct fails when attempting to force the use of any rampage (Thrash), charge (Dig), or recharge (Hyper Beam) move. Sadly, the Charge -> double Electric attack trick I thought of doesn't actually work out that way; only the first one has its power doubled.
Edit: Also, I noticed this a while ago but I now see it hasn't been posted in this thread: Instruct causes the move used to use another PP.

Stomping Tantrum gets its power doubled after every "But it failed!" scenario I've tested so far, which includes both types of move failure (those that activate Protean and those that don't). Launching moves into immunities and no target also triggers the boost, but launching moves into Protect does not.
How exactly does Core Enforcer's effect work?
The Core Enforcer effect is pretty simple; it just starts the Gastro Acid effect if the target already moved the same turn you used it (i.e. the Ability still exists but has no effect for that Pokemon). I can't currently test if it's like Payback in that it doesn't start the effect if the target switched in during the turn, but I would bet that it's the same since Pokemon switching in haven't had a position in turn order since Gen 4, and thus can't have acted before or after anything. So, basically, think Payback + Gastro Acid.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Stomping Tantrum gets its power doubled after every "But it failed!" scenario I've tested so far, which includes both types of move failure (those that activate Protean and those that don't). Launching moves into immunities and no target also triggers the boost, but launching moves into Protect does not.
does launching earthquake into a partner fly mon in doubles (but hitting targets... or any 1/3 possible targets being immune while the other 2 being not immune scenarios in general) raise it or does it have to fail entirely?

Last edited:
Does Knock Off do bonus damage to targets holding Z-Crystals?

In a Double Battle, if a Alolan Raichu has doubled Speed due its Ability and Electric Terrain being up, does it lose that gained Speed if a Pokemon switches in with a terrain changing ability and be outpaced by Pokemon that were slower during Electric Terrain, but are faster than it outside of it?

Megas get their Speed from post-Mega Evolution, but does Mega-Alakazam get its Speed doubled when it gains Surge Surfer during Electric Terrain from opponent's Alolan Raichu and outpace it on the same turn it Mega Evolved?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Does the Normalize boost apply to all moves? In particular, does it affect moves that are already normal, and does it boost things like Hidden Power whose type doesn't get changed by Normalize?
I went to test this in order to deconfirm it, but shockingly enough Normalize applies its 1.2x boost to all Normal-type moves. Additionally, anything that ends up not being Normal-type, like Hidden Power, doesn't get the boost.

This made me go back and double check if Galvanize shares this (it'd make sense if they called it an -ize rather than an -ate for that reason) but... it doesn't. This is just a buff for Delcatty.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Z-attack moves never, ever, ever, ever inherit properties from the base move. All Z-attacks are +0 priority with no additional effects. The only variable, ever, is physical/special and the BP.
I know, the reason I asked is because the base power of the base move changes under those conditions and the BP of the base move is what determines the BP of the Z-move.

I know, the reason I asked is because the base power of the base move changes under those conditions and the BP of the base move is what determines the BP of the Z-move.
The attack calls on a specific-BP version of the Z-move and is not influenced by the attack's actual end BP. As an arbitrary example, Beat Up always calls a 100 BP Black Hole Eclipse no matter how many un-fainted Pokemon are on the user's team.

Marty

Always more to find
Research Leader
does launching earthquake into a partner fly mon in doubles (but hitting targets... or any 1/3 possible targets being immune while the other 2 being not immune scenarios in general) raise it or does it have to fail entirely?
Nope, it only gets doubled power if 0 targets were successfully hit (unless one or more of them were protecting themselves).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)