Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

The Core Enforcer effect is pretty simple; it just starts the Gastro Acid effect
(I assume you've tested it under Baton Pass too?)
I went to test this in order to deconfirm it, but shockingly enough Normalize applies its 1.2x boost to all Normal-type moves. Additionally, anything that ends up not being Normal-type, like Hidden Power, doesn't get the boost.
I'm still curious to know what type Revelation Dance ends up as if a non-Normal type has Normalize. Some of my other previous questions which I don't remember seeing answers for yet:
  • What does Psycho Shift do if the user has Comatose?
  • If your active ally has Comatose, does it still assist in a Beat Up?
  • If Mew holds Mewnium Z, and Transforms into a Pokémon with Psychic, can it still use Genesis Supernova?
  • Poison Touch, Tough Claws and Fluffy ignore your own Protective Pads. Does anything else?
  • Does Instruct work if the target is asleep and/or frozen? If it does:
    • Does the target gain Guts and/or Facade boosts
    • Can it remove its status via Psycho Shift?

• If Mew holds Mewnium Z, and Transforms into a Pokémon with Psychic, can it still use Genesis Supernova?
For that matter, what happens if, for example, Ditto holds one of the exclusive Z-Crystals and transforms into a Pokemon that would be able to use it?

Say, a Ditto that is holding a Decidium Z transforms into a Decidueye with Spirit Shackle. Can it use Sinister Arrow Raid?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I'm still curious to know what type Revelation Dance ends up as if a non-Normal type has Normalize.
Revelation Dance is still the user's Type 1.
What does Psycho Shift do if the user has Comatose?
Nothing, as you have no status condition.
If your active ally has Comatose, does it still assist in a Beat Up?
Comatose is a field ability, Komala does not act as if it's asleep in your party (so yes, it gets a hit).
Poison Touch, Tough Claws and Fluffy ignore your own Protective Pads. Does anything else?
I know I posted this in the thread earlier but if I were to reword the description of Protective Pads: It only prevents the holder from taking contact related damage and effects from the target. It triggers in no other scenario.

If a move happens to go sooner due to Dancer or After You, is it blocked by Psychic Terrain/Dazzling/Queenly Majesty? I would assume no but I feel like it should be tested anyway.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Speaking of Pollen Puff, because it's an attacking move it gets blocked by Telepathy.
What about a Triage user using Pollen Puff? Does it get increased priority?
This is exactly what the post you quoted is answering: no.
(I assume you've tested it under Baton Pass too?)
No need; after a Core Enforcer, Gastro Acid fails on affected targets, so they are definitely the same effect.

Does anyone want to check and see if the Parting Shot Z interaction here is a showdown glitch or if this is how it behaves on cart:

At 6:19 Parting Shot Z is blocked by protect, which is nornal, but then Persian dies to poison and the teammate that replaces Persian gets the healing effect of Parting Shot Z. Is this normal? Can Parting Shot Z really heal if Persian dies?

And by extension, what if Persian didn't die? Would the next teammate be healed or would it all have to happen in one turn?

Is anyone aware that if you attack a Pokémon that's used Spiky Shield, you'll also take damage from their held Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, if they have it? A friend of mine was battling his way through the Battle Tree, and he had his Tsareena use High Jump Kick on a Togedemaru. Unfortunately for him, and humorously enough for me and his friends, the Togedemaru used Spiky Shield, and his Tsareena wound up taking recoil, Spiky Shield, Rocky Helmet, and Sandstorm damage! (There was a Sandstorm blowing during that battle.) Poor dude! I don't know if this is new or not, so I wanted to check here in hopes of receiving an answer.

Actually, is this even possible, or did my friend get some details screwed up when he was telling me about that experience?

Edit: Then again, this is the Battle Tree, where I've heard people have run into things like Shell Smash Kommo'o (which isn't possible for us players to have since it can't normally learn that move AT ALL) and Intimidate Incineroar (which isn't available at the time of posting this); so it wouldn't be surprising if what happened to my friend isn't normally possible in the games themselves.

Last edited:
Can it be Mirror Moved? Can Hyperspace Fury be Mirror Moved or Me Firsted?

Is the Ability-suppressing effect of Core Enforcer a secondary effect for the purposes of Sheer Force?
Using mirror move on Hyperspace Fury causes the same message as having it on another Pokemon. (edit: same with Me first)
Abilities are still suppressed with Sheer Force Core Enforcer.

breh

強いだね
I apologize if this has already been asked before, but, on the same thread, does instruct work on a move that has just run out of pp?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
So back when it was confirmed King's Shield did the Attack lowering even on moves Aegislash was immune to, I was like "that doesn't make much sense; they wouldn't specifically buff King's Shield". Then when it was confirmed Lightning Rod gave Ground types the boost now, things started making sense, and now I've finally found the time and resources to test my theory.

They simply rearranged the checks done before a move can successfully hit a target. Here's what the order looked like in Gen 5 and 6 for reference:
Check for attack redirection by Follow Me / Lightning Rod / Storm Drain - Follow Me has priority
  • Check each target for type immunity (Thunder Wave is the only Status move that checks type immunities at this step)
  • Check each target for Levitate
  • Check each target for Wide Guard / Quick Guard
  • Check each target for Protect / Detect
  • Check each target for Magic Coat (skip the rest of these steps and check other targets before bouncing back the move)
  • Check each target for Magic Bounce (skip the rest of these steps and check other targets before bouncing back the move)
  • Check each target for Dry Skin / Flash Fire / Lightning Rod / Motor Drive / Sap Sipper / Soundproof / Storm Drain / Telepathy / Volt Absorb / Water Absorb / Wonder Guard
  • Check each target for accuracy
  • Check each target for substitute
  • Check each target for status / powder immunity due to typing
  • Check each target for status / powder immunity due to Ability (Limber/Water Veil/Overcoat/Flower Veil/etc)
And now, as far as I've tested, this is what the order is in Gen 7:
Check for attack redirection by Follow Me / Lightning Rod / Storm Drain - Follow Me has priority
  • Check each target for Magic Coat (skip the rest of these steps and check other targets before bouncing back the move)
  • Check each target for Magic Bounce (skip the rest of these steps and check other targets before bouncing back the move)
  • Check each target for Dry Skin / Flash Fire / Lightning Rod / Motor Drive / Sap Sipper / Soundproof / Storm Drain / Telepathy / Volt Absorb / Water Absorb / Wonder Guard
  • Check each target for type immunity (Thunder Wave is the only Status move that checks type immunities at this step)
  • Check each target for status / powder immunity due to Ability (Limber/Water Veil/Overcoat/Flower Veil/etc)
This means, among other things, that Ground types can Magic Coat Thunder Wave, you can no longer tell if a protecting target is airborne (Flying immunity and Levitate used to activate before Ground attacks hit Protect, but now the reverse happens), and of course protection moves and all the type immunity Abilities (besides Levitate) now activate before natural type immunity gets in the way.

So back when it was confirmed King's Shield did the Attack lowering even on moves Aegislash was immune to, I was like "that doesn't make much sense; they wouldn't specifically buff King's Shield". Then when it was confirmed Lightning Rod gave Ground types the boost now, things started making sense, and now I've finally found the time and resources to test my theory.

They simply rearranged the checks done before a move can successfully hit a target. Here's what the order looked like in Gen 5 and 6 for reference:
And now, as far as I've tested, this is what the order is in Gen 7:
This means, among other things, that Ground types can Magic Coat Thunder Wave, you can no longer tell if a protecting target is airborne (Flying immunity and Levitate used to activate before Ground attacks hit Protect, but now the reverse happens), and of course protection moves and all the type immunity Abilities (besides Levitate) now activate before natural type immunity gets in the way.
Well that definitely helps explain some things. Sweet! I wonder what Pokémon could begin to really abuse this change (besides Aegislash)?

Still need answers to these questions.

- Do Galvanized moves get Electric Terrain boosts?
- Does Charge boost the power of a Galvanized move next turn?
- Does Galvanized Explosion get STAB?

Thanks

Do you know when the game checks for status / powder immunity based on Safety Goggles in relation to these other two steps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)