Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Avant Heim

formerly The Bill Cipher
in battle royals,if my pokémon dies and it was an damaging ability like innards out that kills the pokémon that killd mine,i get a point?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankrualpha-520610072
I'd like to report a possible bug. In the replay above, on turn 15, the metagross used trick against the alomomola, but the move failed. Even though the metagross's item was knocked off, it should've have been able to steal alomomola's leftovers. I checked some of the websites like bulbapedia and serebii, and they didn't any mention any relevant changes to the move trick in gen 7. None of the mods in the RU room could find anything either. If its a bug, please fix because that could be annoying in a tournament battle or something.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankrualpha-520610072
I'd like to report a possible bug. In the replay above, on turn 15, the metagross used trick against the alomomola, but the move failed. Even though the metagross's item was knocked off, it should've have been able to steal alomomola's leftovers. I checked some of the websites like bulbapedia and serebii, and they didn't any mention any relevant changes to the move trick in gen 7. None of the mods in the RU room could find anything either. If its a bug, please fix because that could be annoying in a tournament battle or something.
Goes in Bug Reports.

Anyway if a Pokemon with Beast Boost has the same stats in two stats, Kartana both having the same Attack and Speed, then the Beast Boost goes to the attack. Here's the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-520678043

In other news, I went back to do more digging on this interesting stuff:

It was already known that Moltres after a Burn Up didn't become Normal type during Roost, since the "typeless" type is still its primary type. However, using Reflect Type on this ???/Flying Moltres makes the Pokemon pure Flying (becomes Normal type during Roost). So to sum up, Reflect Type with ??? + a secondary type just ignores ???, but ??? + added type from Forest's Curse/Trick-or-Treat makes ??? into Normal instead. And ??? alone just makes Reflect Type fail. Go figure.
Does Transform/Imposter copy the ??? type or copy the effect of Reflect Type?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Does Transform/Imposter copy the ??? type or copy the effect of Reflect Type?
Transform behaves the same way as Reflect Type in all cases I mentioned, except Transforming into a pure "typeless" Pokemon makes the user Normal instead.

Not really relevant to competitive, but if you were if you didn't have a Z-ring in your inventory, could you still use Z-moves as long as you had the proper Z-crystal?

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I looked all over the OP for this and couldn't find this. This is important for an analysis as I believe in current PS it ignores this mechanic.

Does Gale Wings Supersonic Skystrike (or any flying move, rather) pass through Psychic Terrain on a grounded Pokemon?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Posting to say that it looks like Bank is starting to drop in different places worldwide. Get prepared for new info guys.

Not really relevant to competitive, but if you were if you didn't have a Z-ring in your inventory, could you still use Z-moves as long as you had the proper Z-crystal?
I think I checked this once and you need the ring. No idea what you could possibly need that info for though.

I looked all over the OP for this and couldn't find this. This is important for an analysis as I believe in current PS it ignores this mechanic.

Does Gale Wings Supersonic Skystrike (or any flying move, rather) pass through Psychic Terrain on a grounded Pokemon?
Psychic Terrain protects grounded Pokemon from Gale Wings Supersonic Skystrike.

I happened to be browsing Bulbapedia and the page I was reading claimed that if you are under the effect of Gastro Acid and Transform into Komala then Comatose doesn't activate, but if you Baton Pass to Komala then it does, which would be a curious mechanic to say the least, since it wouldn't matter whether you Transform or Baton Pass to, say, Gyarados-Mega, as Mold Breaker wouldn't activate either way.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I happened to be browsing Bulbapedia and the page I was reading claimed that if you are under the effect of Gastro Acid and Transform into Komala then Comatose doesn't activate, but if you Baton Pass to Komala then it does, which would be a curious mechanic to say the least, since it wouldn't matter whether you Transform or Baton Pass to, say, Gyarados-Mega, as Mold Breaker wouldn't activate either way.
That's because Baton Passing the effect of Gastro Acid to a Pokemon with an unsuppressable Ability ends the effect immediately. I'd never really considered that the two interactions might behave differently since all the other Gastro Acid-immune Abilities are forme related, and can't be used while Transformed either way. It appears that gaining an Ability through Transform is not entirely the same as gaining it by switching in.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hello. Question that might be really important in regards to Machamp:

Can Hidden Ability Pokemon have their abilities changed through the Ability Capsule item? If so, No Guard Fissure Machamp would be legal

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
aka no, HAs do not change through Ability Capsule. Ability Capsules just change between the 2 regular abilities of the Pokemon. Meaning you'd have to use Fissure on Steadfast Machamp or Reflect on Healer Chansey (both no gos). Body Slam on Sheer Force Tauros is fine, etc.

Ema Skye

Work!
Wanting to ask a few questions regarding Roost and the Terrains. Roost causes the user to lose its Flying type for the turn. With that said:
  • If I use Roost to restore HP, and am hit by a Sleep-inducing move in the same turn while Electric/Misty Terrain is up, does the Spore land?
  • If, through Prankster, I use Roost to restore HP, will I be hit by an incoming Quick Attack after using Roost during Psychic Terrain?
  • Will I receive Grassy Terrain recovery at the end of my turn after using Roost to restore HP in the same turn?
  • Will Dragon-type attacks deal 50% damage during the same turn I use Roost and ground myself?

Wanting to ask a few questions regarding Roost and the Terrains. Roost causes the user to lose its Flying type for the turn. With that said:
  • If I use Roost to restore HP, and am hit by a Sleep-inducing move in the same turn while Electric/Misty Terrain is up, does the Spore land?
  • If, through Prankster, I use Roost to restore HP, will I be hit by an incoming Quick Attack after using Roost during Psychic Terrain?
  • Will I receive Grassy Terrain recovery at the end of my turn after using Roost to restore HP in the same turn?
  • Will Dragon-type attacks deal 50% damage during the same turn I use Roost and ground myself?
I have another question to add to this: If a Flying type uses Roost, and is then hit by Thousand Arrows, will the Flying type still be grounded on the next turn?

I tried to find this question but nothing yet but can a male with it's HA pass down the HA if bred with the same species evo line non-HA (i.e. Torrent Female Totodile x Sheer Force Male Totodile)?

I tried to find this question but nothing yet but can a male with it's HA pass down the HA if bred with the same species evo line non-HA (i.e. Torrent Female Totodile x Sheer Force Male Totodile)?
IIRC I asked a similar question but with a male of another line, and the answer was that it's like Poke Ball inheritance - the male's can only be inherited with a Ditto or a female of the same line.

Not sure where else to ask this, but if a pokemon with Hustle uses pursuit on something that is switching out, can it still miss? I've never had this happen on showdown and I'm wondering if it's just luck or an actual mechanic.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I had a bit of a weird question:

Would giving a Flying-type Pokemon a Ring Target allow it to benefit from Terrain?

IIRC I asked a similar question but with a male of another line, and the answer was that it's like Poke Ball inheritance - the male's can only be inherited with a Ditto or a female of the same line.
They can't, males can only pass down their HA when bred with Ditto
So I guess I'll have to test myself since I'm getting two different answers now that bank is out I can thanks

Edit: looks like Siggu was right sigh :(

Last edited:
Update: I just looked back at the eggs I hatched and it seems ball inheritance between two same species parents is possible from both parents while at least from the 12 (yes I know that's not probably not enough of a sample size). While HA wasn't inherited by the male some of the eggs did yield the ball inheritance

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Update: I just looked back at the eggs I hatched and it seems ball inheritance between two same species parents is possible from both parents while at least from the 12 (yes I know that's not probably not enough of a sample size). While HA wasn't inherited by the male some of the eggs did yield the ball inheritance
sample size doesn't really matter when the question is "is this possible?" although this particular information was already known (males can pass down ball when bred with same species females)

sample size doesn't really matter when the question is "is this possible?" although this particular information was already known (males can pass down ball when bred with same species females)
Yeah I see that now. I wish I had known about it to try for HA Lure Ball Totodiles. It warms my heart

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)