Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

From bug reports thread:

On Pokemon Showdown, Electro Ball is 40 power if the opponent is faster than the user, but in every other attackdex (Serebii.net, Bulbapedia) electro ball starts with 60 power. Which information is more accurate? This may be a bug.
The damage formula from BW has Electro Ball at 40 BP if floor(user's speed / target's speed) is 0. Idk if it's the same in Sun and Moon, but I imagine that's where it's coming from.
Can someone check what's Electro Ball's power if floor(user's speed / target's speed) is 0 ?

Very random question, but do Ion Deluge (the attack that turns Normal-type moves into Electric ones) turn Normalized moves into the Electric-type?

Just played a wifi game on cart where I had a manaphy out with a rain dance up and the opponent used yawn with gastrodon and I actually stayed asleep for a whole turn before hydration woke me up.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Just played a wifi game on cart where I had a manaphy out with a rain dance up and the opponent used yawn with gastrodon and I actually stayed asleep for a whole turn before hydration woke me up.
Hydration comes in the end-of-turn order before Yawn. Hydration only checks at that one time before the end of tbe turn, so you will have 1 sleep turn against Yawn with Manaphy.

Something that happened to a friend.

He Mega Evolved his Alakazam in front of a Slaking, and Mega Alakazam Traced Truant. In the very first turn, Mega Alakazam ends up loafing about.

Not sure if it's any different from Gen VI. It feels like it does, with the whole "Mega Evolution changes turn order". Perhaps Mega Evolution "creates" a new turn, and the game assumes Alakazam had already moved?

I'll be trying to test it with him later to see how it works in more detail - in particular, if the Pokemon that had Truant also loses the first turn, as in the video he recorded, it was a double battle and the Slaking was OHKOed before it could move.

I just saw a video of Zoroark using a Z-Move and it causes it's illusion to wear off just before using the Z-Move. I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned that already.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
Can someone check my Leli out? The first battle it had a Metronome, the second battle it had a Choice item and continually used Echoed Voice. Since fourth gen Metronome increases the power of moves used consecutively. Echoed Voice since generation six gets stronger with every use.

Here are the two replays from me. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-530637978

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-530646121

I couldn't find Metronome in the damage calculator so I couldn't say that this move has been used four to five times and it only increases its power a limited amount of times. I couldn't always tell with other moves because my opponents were always sending Pokemon that were weak against it or had much lower SPD when it came to using Echoed Voice.

Edit: Here's a better one. It again is holding Metronome this time.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-530681184

Last edited:
Can someone check my Leli out? The first battle it had a Metronome, the second battle it had a Choice item and continually used Echoed Voice. Since fourth gen Metronome increases the power of moves used consecutively. Echoed Voice since generation six gets stronger with every use.
I'm not sure what this question is even supposed to be asking. This thread is for testing mechanics on Pokemon Sun and Moon so that the simulator can replicate the mechanics as closely as possible. If you base an argument for the mechanic based on a test in the simulator it doesn't mean anything. I assume that's what you're doing but you're really vague about it. If you're just looking to show your Lele set off there's better places to do that than the mechanics research thread.

MichaelXD2

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure what this question is even supposed to be asking. This thread is for testing mechanics on Pokemon Sun and Moon so that the simulator can replicate the mechanics as closely as possible. If you base an argument for the mechanic based on a test in the simulator it doesn't mean anything. I assume that's what you're doing but you're really vague about it. If you're just looking to show your Lele set off there's better places to do that than the mechanics research thread.
Listen! No! I'm trying to get some information on either the items or move that increases power when used consecutively, so STFU! What do you mean I'm being very vague about it? I have no intention of showing off a Pokemon. All I needed was a strong one to get my hands on to use Echoed Voice this day and age.

Listen! No! I'm trying to get some information on either the items or move that increases power when used consecutively, so STFU! What do you mean I'm being very vague about it? I have no intention of showing off a Pokemon. All I needed was a strong one to get my hands on to use Echoed Voice this day and age.
Well as far as we know Echoed Voice and Metronome still work the same as they did in previous generations. And yes the effects of Metronome and Echoed Voice do stack with each other. Metronome isn't included in the damage calculator because it's not an item that has much relevance in competitive play. If you're curious about how much Metronome or Echoed Voice boost by you can find much more succinct descriptions on other resources. I don't want to spoonfeed but google is your friend.

Would Air Lock or Cloud Nine prevent Aurora Veil from being activated in hail? I'm assuming it can't affect it after it's set up since it's treated as both screens, or is it a weather effect altogether?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
air lock/c9 blocks aurora veil's activation, but do nothing to an aurora veil that's already set up.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What happens if you Sky Drop a Power Construct Zygarde-10% as it falls to <= half health at the end of that turn?

Did someone figured out what would happen if Diglett used pursuit on a pokemon with an Air Ballon as it was switching out to avoid Arena Trap?

What happens if you Sky Drop a Power Construct Zygarde-10% as it falls to <= half health at the end of that turn?
B99G-WWWW-WWW5-B29U
It does transform but there's no sudden drop and damage is still dealt. I imagine that Magic Room going up and negating a Float Stone behaves similarly.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I was in-game, I had an enemy Barboach trigger the Anticipation notice, when my Magnemite knew Thunder Shock, Magnet Bomb, Thunder Wave, and Hidden Power. It has HP Grass, which is the only move that could trigger the notice as no other moves it has are super effective against it. Currently Bulbapedia says Hidden Power does not trigger it as of 4th gen, and nothing else about it in later gens, so I don't know if this change is new to SM or an older change.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
When I was in-game, I had an enemy Barboach trigger the Anticipation notice, when my Magnemite knew Thunder Shock, Magnet Bomb, Thunder Wave, and Hidden Power. It has HP Grass, which is the only move that could trigger the notice as no other moves it has are super effective against it. Currently Bulbapedia says Hidden Power does not trigger it as of 4th gen, and nothing else about it in later gens, so I don't know if this change is new to SM or an older change.
I'm pretty sure this is new. It should also be worth looking into if the interactions with Judgment, Natural Gift, Weather Ball or Techno Blast has changed as well.

Can Z-moves hit through Wonder Guard?

I understand that Gastro Acid can't be Baton Passed to suppress a forme-changing ability. Unfortunately nobody with a forme-changing ability seems to be able to get Baton Pass, otherwise it would be interesting to know whether the effect persists if Baton Passed to a regular ability.

Can someone test whether or not Revelation Dance used by a Pokemon made purely typeless through Burn Up is supposed to bypass Wonder Guard? That's what's currently happening on sim.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can Z-moves hit through Wonder Guard?

I understand that Gastro Acid can't be Baton Passed to suppress a forme-changing ability. Unfortunately nobody with a forme-changing ability seems to be able to get Baton Pass, otherwise it would be interesting to know whether the effect persists if Baton Passed to a regular ability.
Castform gets Mimic through gen 3 tutors, but that's the only forme-changing ability I can think of that can get Baton Pass in any way

Bottom screen info shows correct Arceus typing (rip semi spoofing type).
This might be super late, but do you think you could expound more on all the situations where the bottom screen tells the truth about typing, and when it lies? Similar information for the effectiveness hints on moves would also be helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)