Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

Apparently on Showdown Photon Geyser and Light That Burns The Sky are coded as always using the opponent's SpDef to deal damage. It is wrong as on cartridge these moves use Defense if you have a higher attack than special attack ( so no pseudo Psyshock effect ).

In this video at 1:48:30 we see an Ultra Necrozma with 263 Attack and 234 Special Attack dealing less Damage with Photon Geyser + Light That Burns The Sky than with Moongeist Beam on a +2Defense Stakataka. It's obvious that these moves were hitting Defense while Moongeist Beam uses Special Defense.

Photon Geyser can actually break the mold. I tested in Ultra Moon cci with citra, official enough.

Step 1: Bring a necrozma under the following set.
Code:
Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Skill Swap
Step 2: Encounter a wild pokemon that is neither a Dark- type nor a Mold Breaker.

Step 3: Use skill swap, then use photon geyser.

Result: That wild pokemon fainted and sturdy didn't trigger.

In Pokemon Showdown photon geyser can't break the mold. Please fix this.

Reactions: fsk

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright so just to confirm Photon Geyser mechanics I tested it along with Teryx38 and Kaori

Mold Breaker aspect - Photon Geyser on a Mimikyu
Physical defense damage aspect - Photon Geyser on a Chansey

180 Atk Stat Necrozma Photon Geyser (Physical) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 109-130 (30.6 - 36.5%) -- 62.9% chance to 3HKO

Battle Video: M93G-WWWW-WWWA-5TYA

Conclusion: It does indeed have the Mold Breaker feature and it also hits on the physical defense side. The chansey has 62 Def and 159 SpDef, so it would've done almost a third of that damage if it were on the special defense side.

Also, if Necrozma's attack is higher than special attack and Photon Geyser becomes physical, it completely becomes physical. Ergo, if you use a Physical Photon Geyser, you can use Counter on it (and not Mirror Coat).

Battle Video: 8U3W-WWWW-WWWA-5TYP

EDIT: Didn't know this was already tested in another thread lol

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
Hi all, so despite being a new move introduced in this generation there's not much in this thread about Laser Focus. The basic concept is simple, the next move is guaranteed to be a crit. However, there are some weird interactions with it implemented on PS!, that I'm not sure are in the game. Essentially the laser focus effect lasts until the end of the turn rather than the end of the move on PS!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-665529644
Laser focus makes every single multihit move a crit.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-665528333
Laser focus makes return a crit and then causes a second crit after instruct

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-665512134
Laser focus makes a future sight from the laser focus user that affected the target that turn crit and the following turn the move crits as well.

However, Laser Focus does not make a future sight attack from a different user crit https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-665532400

Nor did the laser focus make the future sight attack crit after the user switches out with either a manual switch or baton pass
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-665533168 and https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-665534504

(also the laser focus tag appeared to have been baton passes before being removed which was weird)

If you have a Necrozma with higher Atk than SpA and it uses Psychium Z Photon Geyser, will the attack be physical or special?
Photon Geyser is a Special attack, so it gets overwritten by a Special Shattered Psyche, even if Photon Geyser were to deal physical damage.

Alright so just to confirm Photon Geyser mechanics I tested it along with Teryx38 and Kaori

Mold Breaker aspect - Photon Geyser on a Mimikyu
Physical defense damage aspect - Photon Geyser on a Chansey

180 Atk Stat Necrozma Photon Geyser (Physical) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 109-130 (30.6 - 36.5%) -- 62.9% chance to 3HKO

Battle Video: M93G-WWWW-WWWA-5TYA

Conclusion: It does indeed have the Mold Breaker feature and it also hits on the physical defense side. The chansey has 62 Def and 159 SpDef, so it would've done almost a third of that damage if it were on the special defense side.

Also, if Necrozma's attack is higher than special attack and Photon Geyser becomes physical, it completely becomes physical. Ergo, if you use a Physical Photon Geyser, you can use Counter on it (and not Mirror Coat).

Battle Video: 8U3W-WWWW-WWWA-5TYP

EDIT: Didn't know this was already tested in another thread lol
if a necrozma uses a physical photon geyser whilst burned will its damage output be reduced?

Apparently, trading Arceus @ Z-crystal doesn't sanitize its form en route, even though the Z-crystal obviously can't be traded along with it. It will retain its previous form until the new recipient gives it another plate or crystal to hold, but the well-known behavior from BH is still intact (it counts as normal type, in spite of its appearance, unless it's actually holding one of those items).

The main ramification of this is that it should be possible to play the "Arceus bluff" throughout Ubers as opposed to just BH. As it stands, the teambuilder currently rejects it with a message like "Arceus needs to hold either Dread Plate or Darkinium Z," but this mechanic makes it so that is in fact not the case.

if a necrozma uses a physical photon geyser whilst burned will its damage output be reduced?
I would like to know this, too.

Other things that I would like to know without a doubt:
  • Is Tough Claws a 30% boost or a 33% boost? I'm asking because I'm getting sick and tired of conflicting information, and I want to know for certain.
  • Is Neuroforce a 20% or 25% boost? I got the official guide for USUM, and it claims that it's a 25% boost. Still, I just want to be absolutely sure as to whether or not that's true.
If someone can test this stuff on cartridge and/or provide answers, I will be very grateful.

I would like to know this, too.

Other things that I would like to know without a doubt:
  • Is Tough Claws a 30% boost or a 33% boost? I'm asking because I'm getting sick and tired of conflicting information, and I want to know for certain.
  • Is Neuroforce a 20% or 25% boost? I got the official guide for USUM, and it claims that it's a 25% boost. Still, I just want to be absolutely sure as to whether or not that's true.
If someone can test this stuff on cartridge and/or provide answers, I will be very grateful.
According to Bulbapedia and Serebii, Tough Claws is a 30% boost to contact moves

According to Bulbapedia and Serebii, Tough Claws is a 30% boost to contact moves
Ok, and what about the other stuff? You know, whether Neuroforce is a 20% or 25% boost (is the official game guide correct in saying it's 25%?), and what happens when you use a physical Photon Geyser while burned? (Does it default back to Sp. Atk, or what?) I would like it if this was tested on cartridge/in-game to avoid another "Aurora Veil stacks with Light Screen & Reflect" kind of incident.

Ok, and what about the other stuff? You know, whether Neuroforce is a 20% or 25% boost (is the official game guide correct in saying it's 25%?), and what happens when you use a physical Photon Geyser while burned? (Does it default back to Sp. Atk, or what?) I would like it if this was tested on cartridge/in-game to avoid another "Aurora Veil stacks with Light Screen & Reflect" kind of incident.
Well for a physical Photon Geyser, if you are burned it would be crazy for it to just suddenly become special, Photon Geyser would just become weaker. Unsure about Neuroforce though. Dataminers made the assumption that it works like Expert Belt so a 20% boost but the guide says it's 25%, who is right in this situation?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Apparently, trading Arceus @ Z-crystal doesn't sanitize its form en route, even though the Z-crystal obviously can't be traded along with it. It will retain its previous form until the new recipient gives it another plate or crystal to hold, but the well-known behavior from BH is still intact (it counts as normal type, in spite of its appearance, unless it's actually holding one of those items).

The main ramification of this is that it should be possible to play the "Arceus bluff" throughout Ubers as opposed to just BH. As it stands, the teambuilder currently rejects it with a message like "Arceus needs to hold either Dread Plate or Darkinium Z," but this mechanic makes it so that is in fact not the case.
This is only partially correct; any affected Arceus in this way cannot be used in online battles, so the behavior is limited to that of local play. I'm not sure of the policy on implementing Showdown mechanics, but since it can't be used online, I assume it shouldn't get implemented (it's a shame, too).

This is only partially correct; any affected Arceus in this way cannot be used in online battles, so the behavior is limited to that of local play. I'm not sure of the policy on implementing Showdown mechanics, but since it can't be used online, I assume it shouldn't get implemented (it's a shame, too).
Game Freak dodged a bullet there by bothering to check if non-Normal Arceus is holding its respective Z-Crystal or Plate.

Given the topic showed up, and since I don't have an Arceus to try it out, I'm curious about something... does Arceus change types if it's holding an incompatible Z-Crystal? More specifically, species-specific Z-Crystals. Say, does Arceus become a Dragon-type if it holds a Kommoonium Z?

I know it would be completely pointless (outside of Hackmons Cup) as it's incompatible, but I wonder how the game checks Z-Crystals for Multitype.

The bottom screen in game shows whether an environment effect will last 5 or 8 turns. Will this ever be implemented? I require serious answer.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
First Serebii is wrong on tough Claws as it still lists 33% and not the right value of 30% (that is indeed correct on Bulbapedia). The only real source on this is from someone reporting Marty's findings in the Showdown Github here, and so Tough Claws is indeed approximately 30%, this has been known even before S/M release (Feb 2015).
Secondly Neuroforce has the exact same effect as if Necrozma was wearing an Expert Belt, so it is approximately 20%, as explained in ths USUM Battle Mechanics thread by here.
Finally Photon Geyser while burned is still physical with damage then halved (source, same thread as above, here).
(The last two things were on the first post of the USUM Battle Mechanics thread btw.)

The source of all these claims are two users using cartridges, that have proven to be very reliable over the years.

Reactions: fsk
First Serebii is wrong on tough Claws as it still lists 33% and not the right value of 30% (that is indeed correct on Bulbapedia). The only real source on this is from someone reporting Marty's findings in the Showdown Github here, and so Tough Claws is indeed approximately 30%, this has been known even before S/M release (Feb 2015).
Secondly Neuroforce has the exact same effect as if Necrozma was wearing an Expert Belt, so it is approximately 20%, as explained in ths USUM Battle Mechanics thread by here.
Finally Photon Geyser while burned is still physical with damage then halved (source, same thread as above, here).
(The last two things were on the first post of the USUM Battle Mechanics thread btw.)

The source of all these claims are two users using cartridges, that have proven to be very reliable over the years.
Thank you so much for providing these answers! Inconsistencies like that tend to really bug me.

During a nuzelock of UM, I fought Accerola and sent in Zoroark. She had a driftblim, with aftermath, as her final pokemon.

When I KOed, illusion was still active. Driftblim used aftermath, and illusion was not broken.

Further testing may be required.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Burn Up: if Multitype Arceus holding Flame Plate uses it, can it lose its Fire type? if Oricorio-Baile uses it and then uses Revelation Dance, would it be a Flying-type move?
For Oricorio, Revelation Dance becomes typeless!
This is completely false. I never actually bothered testing this myself since I just trusted it was pretty simple, but when I was curious about Protean + Revelation Dance mechanics while typeless thanks to a bug reports post (http://www.smogon.com/forums/posts/7646904/), I found that Revelation Dance while type 1 was typeless, but a type 2 OR added type existed, just changed into type 2 if one existed, or the added type if not. The only way Revelation Dance will truly be typeless is if your current type is typeless alone.

I did those tests in USUM, so I thought maybe they updated it or something. Tested on Sun v1.2, same thing, so maybe they updated it in 1.1 or 1.2? Deleted the update and it's the same on v1.0 also.

Anyway, on to the Protean + Revelation Dance stuff:
Pyroar -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Revelation Dance -> Protean activates without a message -> Normal-type damage

Heatran -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Revelation Dance -> Protean activates without a message -> Steel-type damage

Typhlosion -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Revelation Dance -> Protean does not activate -> typeless damage

Moltres -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Revelation Dance -> Protean activates without a message -> Flying-type damage -> use Roost -> Protean does not activate -> use Skill Swap -> Protean changes to Psychic type -> get Protean back -> use Roost -> Protean changes to Flying type -> get hit with Karate Chop -> neutral damage
Theoretically, Protean would have modified all the user's types into the single type it was changing to, but typeless was evidently not overwritten here. Did the same thing again without Revelation Dance, and got the same result:
Moltres -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Roost -> Protean activates without a message -> use Skill Swap -> Protean changes to Psychic type -> get Protean back -> use Roost -> Protean changes to Flying type -> get hit with Karate Chop -> neutral damage
Then I did the same thing without "changing" to a Flying type first, and got the same result:
Moltres -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Karate Chop -> Protean changes to Fighting type -> use Roost -> Protean changes to Flying type -> get hit with Karate Chop -> neutral damage
Then I thought, what if your type 2 is typeless, does Protean still activate with no message when you use a type 1 attack? Yes:
Houndoom -> Burn Up -> swap Protean to it -> Bite -> Protean activates without a message

As you saw earlier, Protean will not activate again if you keep using the same type attack again after having it activate with no message. As far as I can tell, it begins activating the first time because the game knows you currently have more than one type, but then fails to display the message about what type it's changing you to because it's the same type you already are. Burn Up, then Forest's Curse into typeless/Flying/Grass, then Protean does in fact show the message, presumably because you now have at least two types, one of which is not typeless.

tl;dr None of this is really useful information, just interesting mechanics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)