Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-696959538

This was a completely unfair match where I just can't see how this could have possibly been fun for my opponent (and it wasn't particularly fun for me, given the knowledge of how rage-inducing the match would have been had I been on the opposite side - this fact simply lessened any enjoyment I could have gotten out of the match)

My opponent had 1 great mon (specs Exploud), one good mon (Excadrill), some situationally good water types (Mantine/Vaporeon) and two utterly useless sacks of you know (Kricketune without webs and Unown), whereas I had Aurora Veil Ninetales, Battle Bond Greninja, AV Kyurem (the perfect switch-in to specs Exploud under Veil - it took 21%!), SD Toxicroak, Xurkitree!! and my last was Pangoro which had some utility with Knock Off. I would go as far as to say I had 5 of the 6 best mons in this match.

We already don't balance randbats to be truly random -- it isn't a truly random experience. For example, for reasons of Pokemon strength, we do not allow most NFE Pokemon to be used. I've never received a Wartortle, for example, and that's fine. However, given the ability to record usage stats, I think it would be best if there were just one more additional countermeasure coded into random battles -- the concept of "Extremely Inbalanced Team Reshuffle".

I propose the following:
1) Each Pokemon receives a score based on their Win % on the high randbats ladder. The randbats ladder is large so you can make this a reasonable number that covers the middle game as well.
2) Many Pokemon perform differently based on their set - Geoxern should be scored separately from AV Xern, for example. Similarly, entire games** can and are decided based on who either has hazards or hazard-removal - for this reason, Mon A with Rocks and Mon A without Rocks should probably be scored separately.
3) Add each Pokemon's score on each team (adjusting for hazards) - if the scores are vastly different, reroll the teams.

How difficult would something like this be to implement? It's not asking for perfect balance, it is merely asking for a reroll in the case of extreme inbalance, such as in the replay shown above.

**For randbats on high ladder, I would estimate, 80% of matches come down to the following 4 factors (about equally important although we can't really control for #4)
1) who has hazards (and, in some cases, hazard removal - depending on whether or not the other person has hazards)
2) who has the fastest mons
3) are there any absolutely broken mons in this format that are on either team? (Sigilyph being a famous one that immediately ends the game just by appearing if you have nothing for it)
4) hax
(4.5 - Leftovers win games. Life Orb loses games. This is almost as unbelievably annoying and frustrating as hax.)

Thank you for reading my post.

3) Add each Pokemon's score on each team (adjusting for hazards) - if the scores are vastly different, reroll the teams.
I think it would be better (and more "random") if the Pokemon would have only have their levels adjusted instead of rerolling. I've always found it unbalanced and frustrating that the worst fully evolved Pokemon come at the exact same levels as Mesprit and Skuntank.

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
(sorry for posting so often)
With more stuff in regard to necrozma
firefox_2018-02-13_21-50-03.png

It seems ultra necrozma doesn't have Photon Geyser as a requirement (In fact, this seems to just be a dawn wings necro set with ultranecrozium z over lunalium z). Is there any way to fix that without forcing dawn wings to also have photon geyser?

(sorry for posting so often)
With more stuff in regard to necrozma
View attachment 101830
It seems ultra necrozma doesn't have Photon Geyser as a requirement (In fact, this seems to just be a dawn wings necro set with ultranecrozium z over lunalium z). Is there any way to fix that without forcing dawn wings to also have photon geyser?
oops, didn't think about photon geyser as a requirement for ultra necro. i'll rectify that.

also, i fixed pretty much every report in the last two pages. (except the infernape..................)

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This thread is not for monotype randoms, which we don't plan to make a thread for since 1) monorands is just overall an unbalanced/uncompetitive format and 2) we're making a more balanced/competitive/realistic/good-set/etc. random monotype format to go alongside mono rands anyway.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ultra Necrozma requires Photon Geyser to Ultra Burst, but in randbats that is not the case. The set of the one in this replay is Swords Dance/Sunsteel Strike/Earthquake/Knock Off.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-707058043
(edit: Apologies to TylerWithNumbers, I probably should've noticed that the Necrozma should've had STAB and that it'd be worth posting it here, but I didn't realize it until I got the Dawn Wings set in a randbats match shown in the picture below)
This was posted in Bug reports, while Ultra Necrozma may not need Photon Geyser to Ultra Burst, it's still a good choice of STAB.
There's also a set I got in randbats for Dawn Wings:

Ultra Necrozma sets seem to still lack Psychic STAB (or Dragon STAB for that matter).
Pardon my conjecture if it's unnecessary, but it's like it treats Moongeist Beam/Sunsteel strike as enough acceptable STAB, but that'd be kinda like having a Flying move on a Mega Altaria, then fill the rest of the moveslots with coverage and utility like Fire Blast, Earthquake and Heal Bell.

Last edited:
(edit: Apologies to TylerWithNumbers, I probably should've noticed that the Necrozma should've had STAB and that it'd be worth posting it here, but I didn't realize it until I got the Dawn Wings set in a randbats match shown in the picture below)
This was posted in Bug reports, while Ultra Necrozma may not need Photon Geyser to Ultra Burst, it's still a good choice of STAB.
There's also a set I got in randbats for Dawn Wings:

Ultra Necrozma sets seem to still lack Psychic STAB (or Dragon STAB for that matter).
Pardon my conjecture if it's unnecessary, but it's like it treats Moongeist Beam/Sunsteel strike as enough acceptable STAB, but that'd be kinda like having a Flying move on a Mega Altaria, then fill the rest of the moveslots with coverage and utility like Fire Blast, Earthquake and Heal Bell.
Indeed, I realized that as well. It's because Ultra Necrozma isn't like a regular Mega Evolution so it doesn't have it's own set. The script takes its base types into account whereas for Megas/Primals it uses the Mega's types. I'll have to force Photon Geyser on it.

In other news, Electric STAB issues should be 100% fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)