Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't completely unviable (cof without pain split has a hard time but that's another matter)
That said having haze and nasty plot on the same mon means you have a dead slot as soon as you set up imo
haze nplot.PNG

I don't know about you guys, but I came across the no-attacking-moves Gothitelle set three times these days (it's Rest/Charm/Confide/Taunt). In my humble opinion, this set is utter cancer. I definitely see why this set came to be for this poke, but I (and one of the guys that battled with it too) think it's super unfun, super slow, and really displeasant in general. It makes randbats last five more minutes than what they should. Would it be possible to either remove it entirely or at least give it an offensive move? Maybe ditching Confide or Taunt for Psychic?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I don't know about you guys, but I came across the no-attacking-moves Gothitelle set three times these days (it's Rest/Charm/Confide/Taunt). In my humble opinion, this set is utter cancer. I definitely see why this set came to be for this poke, but I (and one of the guys that battled with it too) think it's super unfun, super slow, and really displeasant in general. It makes randbats last five more minutes than what they should. Would it be possible to either remove it entirely or at least give it an offensive move? Maybe ditching Confide or Taunt for Psychic?
to quote from the gothitelle roomfaq in the randbats room:

Gothitelle absolutely sucks at attempting to do anything offensive given its low Speed and Special Attack and middling bulk at best, so this is its most efficient set. The Randbats developer does not want to change it. It won't change.

to quote from the gothitelle roomfaq in the randbats room:

Gothitelle absolutely sucks at attempting to do anything offensive given its low Speed and Special Attack and middling bulk at best, so this is its most efficient set. The Randbats developer does not want to change it. It won't change.
Alright then, how about Toxic? Instead of, say, Taunt. That'd still shorten out the duration of the battle by a fair amount.

This isn't completely unviable (cof without pain split has a hard time but that's another matter)
That said having haze and nasty plot on the same mon means you have a dead slot as soon as you set up imo
View attachment 195635
Presumably everything got rejected so you could get Shadow Ball and HP Fighting; so you got stuck with Haze. Nothing really can be done. Maybe allow Toxic Spikes with setup but even then that'd be rejected trying to roll Shadow Ball.

Ah, I see what you mean; you were talking about distinguishing it from megavenusaur.

I realize that its stats are worse (mostly physical bulk being worse) and that its ability is also worse, but giving it sunny day forces it into a niche that it is not good at abusing. Only if it gets sunny day + 3 attacks does it work to its fullest. sleep powder is also /all right/ if it gets dual STAB but you don't have much of an impetus to use sunny day and (at the current moment) this will force heat rock.

Having an item (especially black sludge with substitute, leech seed, or both) is the difference between it and its mega (and overgrow giga drain facilitated by sub, but whatever lol), and I really don't think sunny day is necessary to abuse that. Sunny Day is frequently a deleted moveslot that could have been the other STAB move you're missing on that set.

Venusaur does not get Synthesis. I still don't get the logic, and don't see why one would want to extend sunny day specifically for synthesis at the cost of an item slot.

Also fwiw it gets z-celebrate if you really want to have some "niche" that separates it from megavenusaur
I like the idea of a pure Sunny Day set, maybe with SolarBeam too. Z-Celebrate seems wasted on it; it won't be as good as Charizard.

View attachment 195634
It was black sludge. I mean..i'd rather spore or synthesis
That does suck. I'll see what I can do.

breh

強いだね
Delphox still gets magician over blaze on sets without items that can be removed (Life Orb)

A common theme of bad life orb pokemon (lanturn especially but now phione lol) is heal bell. This doesn't really belong on LO sets.

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Screenshot 2019-09-22 at 23.00.32.png

Also just faced a Choice Scarf Manaphy, a truly terrible set.

A common theme of bad life orb pokemon (lanturn especially but now phione lol) is heal bell. This doesn't really belong on LO sets.
Heal Bell is why it gets Life Orb instead of Choice Specs in most cases. The real problem is it getting Life Orb, which is similar in the ballpark of the LO Quagsire and Gastrodon of the past imo.

breh

強いだね
Had an opponent get apparently unburden liepard @ sitrus with np/dpulse/encore/copycat (idk order). Like... what?

Arceus dragon with outrage as its only attack is absolutely fucking awful lol

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Had an opponent get apparently unburden liepard @ sitrus with np/dpulse/encore/copycat (idk order). Like... what?
I also had an unburden one the other day with something like np/dpulse/substitute/???, it's really not a mon that needs the Unburden boost. Prankster sets does get stopped by other Dark-types, but even Limber would be preferable over Unburden tbh.

breh

強いだね
Sheer Force LO steelix with rock slide is another example of bad sheer force LO pokemon that I overlooked from earlier

Feels kinda weird to suggest changes when the generation is so close to being over but these have been lurking in the back of my mind for quite some time so might as well throw them out while I still can.

I don't think sub-punch Mega Mawile is very good. It just seems to me like one of those meta-specific things (hits Heatran on the switch, subs on passive stuff like Clef and Chansey) that don't translate too well to randbats. Moreover, the combo takes up not one, but two slots that could be better filled with more useful and reliable coverage moves, utility in knock, priority in sucker punch, or a boosting move in sd. I guess sub on its own is not terrible necessarily but Mawile is too slow to really abuse it most of the time and it doesn't particularly like lowering its own hp either.
Mega Maw is my favorite mon and I find it sad that it's so underwhelming in my favorite format to play just because it rolls mostly bad sets. I think scrapping sub-punch altogether would make it a lot more consistent.

Can we please get rid of toxic on Primal Kyogre? I can get behind other fat ubers like Kyurem-W or Reshiram getting it because they have access to leftovers and roost, but with something like P-ogre that doesn't have that kind of longevity you really just want to dish out as many attacks as possible or try and sweep with rest talk cm. Toxic just feels like such a weird outlier on that mon and imo water and electric-immune pokémon like Gastrodon or Seismitoad aren't enough to justify it.

That's all I think.

As an aside, since this is my first post on the thread I also wanted to take the opportunity and thank the randbats dev team because these last couple big updates have been fantastic and I really do appreciate all you guys have been doing to improve the format whilst also keeping it fun and fresh. So yeah, thank you :]

breh

強いだね
IMO toxic pogre is all right; toxic works on everything in randbats because the awkwardness of movesets often makes pokemon anemic in undesirable ways. toxicing random shit on the switch that you can't hurt otherwise is a good way to get around that because you also often don't have aromatherapy to fix it or a spinner to get rid of the rocks that your kyurem is now forced to take if it wants to switch out to reset toxic.

physical persian might be better with double edge. it's actually not that bad as is just due to the strength of return + various utility it provides with fake out / u-turn.

Would it be possible to set Togedemaru so that Choice Band sets can't also have Nuzzle? I feel like the Choice Band kind of nullifies Nuzzle

(The set I got: Togedemaru | Choice Band | Iron Head; Nuzzle; U-Turn; Zing-Zap )

Also, I haven't posted on this thread before, but I think the RandBats mode is really cool, and I just want to thank all of the developers and folks who have helped to make it possible.

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
The only reason it gets Band in the first place is because it gets 4 attacks. It doesn't get any other attacks to replace it with and if it got 3 attacks and a status move it wouldn't get Band.

I recently got an Assault Vest Zeraora. It's so weak both offensively and defensively that AV is useless. It doesn't give the possible held items on the github link, but it should have Life Orb/Choice Band/Expert Belt/Electrium Z, maybe Fightinium Z instead

View attachment 201618
I get why you want a mixed attacker, by shouldn't DD Rayquaza get Physical STAB?
Honestly, I don't mind it. Dragon types are only super effective against dragon types, obviously - and most dragon types, besides maybe Latias, AV Palkia and AV Guzzlord (off the top of my head), get nuked by a Drake. On a neutral hit, V-Create does as much as Outrage (and significantly more than Dragon Claw), even taking STAB into account, simply due to its ridiculous base power. Outrage and V-create both have their pros and cons in the end.

I recently got an Assault Vest Zeraora. It's so weak both offensively and defensively that AV is useless. It doesn't give the possible held items on the github link, but it should have Life Orb/Choice Band/Expert Belt/Electrium Z, maybe Fightinium Z instead
AV Zeraora and AV Meloetta-Pirouette are two of my biggest pet peeves. Totally agree these would be better items for Zera, and I much prefer Meloetta-P during the short period of time it got life orb instead of AV, a couple of years (2-3?) ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)