Pokemon Sword 2018 Beta Leaked....???

Keeping up with the tweet thread since it gives the highlights of the stream, it's really fascinating to see the game in an "almost but not quite...." state like this.

Like this is surreal. Reminds me of seeing the "block out" prototype maps of gen 1, but at a poitn where they're starting to fill it in with actual assets.

View attachment 283588

The simple fact this was in game and was removed is irking me.

IT HAD A MINIMAP. WHY DID U REMOVE THIS :(
I'm actually going to assume they got rid of this for framerate issues. It's pretty obvious the game has Problems, especially in the wild area. It's possible that once the game got further along things like this had to fall by the wayside in order to be as stable as it is.

Most of this is fairly standard pre-development stuff from what I can see -- pretty interesting to see how games are made, but nothing too conclusive about anything. Aside from two particular points:-

- They intended to integrate a rotomdex minimap, following in Alola's footsteps -- I get the feeling this was to make it feel like nothing was lost in the transition from dual screens to one, and I think it could've worked out quite well. I do agree with R_N that this could have been nixed for framerate issues.

- The presence of a LOOOOOOOT of Pokémon implies to me that dexit was decided on a fair bit later. Like we're not just looking at a few placeholder USUM models here; we're looking at a vast variety of creatures the majority of which are not featured in base game and many of which aren't even in as of Tundra datamines. I would, uh, I would definitely retreat to the dexit-debate-bunkers as I get the feeling that's going to be flared up quite a bit in the next few days; but to have so many Pokémon in the game with only about a year and a half till release with stuff ranging from Arceus to Greninja to Furfrou to Megas is extremely intriguing to me.

I'm actually going to assume they got rid of this for framerate issues. It's pretty obvious the game has Problems, especially in the wild area. It's possible that once the game got further along things like this had to fall by the wayside in order to be as stable as it is.
I'm unsure. It's definitely incomplete, it's actually using alola maps from what I saw.
Maybe they were planning to have it, then realized they were already behind on the schedule so ended up cutting it.

Definitely the saddest thing I can see cut though. I REALLY hate how obnoxious wild area is to navigate due to lack of a mini map.
but to have so many Pokémon in the game with only about a year and a half till release with stuff ranging from Arceus to Greninja to Furfrou to Megas is extremely intriguing to me.
Consider that my expectation for Dexit is that the cause was the lack of time to get all the Camp and overworld animations ready. Not actual malicious intent, literal lack of time and competence to do it fast and well.
Makes sense to me that they wanted to have everything in at first.

Most of this is fairly standard pre-development stuff from what I can see -- pretty interesting to see how games are made, but nothing too conclusive about anything. Aside from two particular points:-

- They intended to integrate a rotomdex minimap, following in Alola's footsteps -- I get the feeling this was to make it feel like nothing was lost in the transition from dual screens to one, and I think it could've worked out quite well. I do agree with R_N that this could have been nixed for framerate issues.

- The presence of a LOOOOOOOT of Pokémon implies to me that dexit was decided on a fair bit later. Like we're not just looking at a few placeholder USUM models here; we're looking at a vast variety of creatures the majority of which are not featured in base game and many of which aren't even in as of Tundra datamines. I would, uh, I would definitely retreat to the dexit-debate-bunkers as I get the feeling that's going to be flared up quite a bit in the next few days; but to have so many Pokémon in the game with only about a year and a half till release with stuff ranging from Arceus to Greninja to Furfrou to Megas is extremely intriguing to me.
seems like they're still haviong some problems to iron out lol

i'm sure that's not an omen of things to ocme later in development

This beta fully confirms that Gamefreak wasn't lying about having issues with the models for all Pokemon. Going into this game they clearly had all Pokemon and megas in mind but looks like porting over caused issues as was theorized by some. It must have been unfixable in time for release so they had to cut a bunch of mons and salvage what they had and then redistribute them across HOME, IoA, and CT.

This beta fully confirms that Gamefreak wasn't lying about having issues with the models for all Pokemon
Poster, admitting that GameFreaks didn't want to trick everyone in giving them money for pay to win DLCs is illegal on these boards.

Please go back to praising Dexit and calling GF moneyhungry capitalist animals.

...memes asides, doesn't surprise me.
If anything this really puts another punch in beating the dead horse of how bad GF's PR was when announcing the lack of pokemon in the first version, and how they could have just been honest instead of coming up with questionable uncoordinated responses + trying to slide it away as irrelevant.

Also, it does make me wonder if they are actually planning to bring back the megas at some point since they were planning to include them to begin with.

Poster, admitting that GameFreaks didn't want to trick everyone in giving them money for pay to win DLCs is illegal on these boards.

Please go back to praising Dexit and calling GF moneyhungry capitalist animals.

...memes asides, doesn't surprise me.
If anything this really puts another punch in beating the dead horse of how bad GF's PR was when announcing the lack of pokemon in the first version, and how they could have just been honest instead of coming up with questionable uncoordinated responses + trying to slide it away as irrelevant.

Also, it does make me wonder if they are actually planning to bring back the megas at some point since they were planning to include them to begin with.
Megas might've been on the table before they fully finished working out the specifics of dynamax, or ultiamtely deciding that Dynamax, Megas AND Z moves were all overkill.

There's also some prototype Let's Go stuff floating around, and tcrf has their hands on both, so we'll probably get deeper dives into the back ends and assorted odds & ends as the week goes on.
Yeah, is there any progress on that? Any threads?

Reactions: Eve
So uhhh... Anybody with game dev experience who can tell us if this is a normal state for a game to be in ~1 year out from launch? Because judging by the reactions in this thread it's not
I mean, considering we know they had to cut stuff from the game due to not having enough time, it's in line with what we know.

Whenever that's due to GF being incompetent, understaffed, or anything, we can't know, but they weren't lieing when they said they didn't have enough time.

So uhhh... Anybody with game dev experience who can tell us if this is a normal state for a game to be in ~1 year out from launch? Because judging by the reactions in this thread it's not
Honestly? It probably is, or at least to varying degrees. My understanding from everyone in game dev is that games, especially modern ones, often dont really "come together" outside of slices until later.

There also might be other builds from about the same time that have other portions worked on, or stuff that has been completed but not actually implemented. For example, I do not think for a second that by March 2018, not a single gen 8 pokemon had been started. Those are probably in workstations being worked on separately, not yet implemented into this build that seems to mostly be focusing on overworld features and such.

Honestly? It probably is, or at least to varying degrees. My understanding from everyone in game dev is that games, especially modern ones, often dont really "come together" outside of slices until later.

There also might be other builds from about the same time that have other portions worked on, or stuff that has been completed but not actually implemented. For example, I do not think for a second that by March 2018, not a single gen 8 pokemon had been started. Those are probably in workstations being worked on separately, not yet implemented into this build that seems to mostly be focusing on overworld features and such.
I agree with you. We have to remember that this is most likely apart of the Nintendo Gigaleak so they probably didn't steal every aspect of the beta. So other aspects of development may still be locked behind Game Freak vaults. This doesn't give us a full picture of the development cycle but it does give us evidence that what Game Freak told us about the development process was true and not a lie. Other Gen 8 mons were definitely being developed and tested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)