Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Hopefully there’s cool stuff to do in them. Memorable puzzles, stories, environments, etc. I love the concept of an Open world area in a Pokémon game, but Open world games have also taught me to be wary of map sizes.

Just to follow on the comparison, BotW was a pretty game and its world was well thought out to facilitate exploration, but it definitely felt too big for its own good. Especially in the snowy region where it was mostly barren. Realistic perhaps, but not fun for a video game.

What.

Ok, this could be *really* great or *really* bad. If it gets that open world-itis and ends up as empty as OoT's Hyrule Field, we have a massive problem incoming.

If they do find ways to make the Wild Area *that big* and a rewarding and enjoyable experience... Well, I don't even have words. Could be the 2nd best game in the franchise. (Nothing tops Platinum. NOTHING!)
Someone on Reddit made an actual comparison between BotW's overworld and the Wild Area based on both maps and the E3 footage:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dhamz9

It's the most wonderful time of the year... Another Galar Pokedex update coming your way!

Kanto - 49 (46 original, 3 regional variants) (+2)
Johto - 28 (19 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+4)
Hoenn - 32 (29 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution) (+3) (A Seedot cry was heard, pairs are being filled up and Ludicolo's already in, its line is basically confirmed at this point)
Sinnoh - 32 (19 original, 10 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+1)
Unova - 58 (all original)
Kalos - 28 (27 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 27 (all original) (+1)
Galar - 30 (28 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 284 (+11)

Percentages (Rounded down)
Kanto - 32% of Kanto mons, 17% of Galar Pokedex
Johto - 28% of Johto mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Hoenn - 23% of Hoenn mons, 11% of Galar Pokedex
Sinnoh - 29% of Sinnoh mons, 11% of Galar Pokedex
Unova - 37% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar Pokedex
Kalos - 41% of Kalos mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Alola - 30% of Alola mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Galar - 10% of Galar Pokedex

Johto's home dex representation has caught up with the others, and while Hoenn grew a bit it is still behind. Excluding Kalos and Unova, Kanto is in the lead for this category, but just barely, only a few % points above Johto, Sinnoh and Alola. The gap between the most represented generation (Kalos) and the least represented (Hoenn) is 18%.

As for the overall current Galar Pokedex pool of 284, not much has changed since the last update: Kanto and Unova still stick far above all the others in the 10% range, courtesy of their huge Pokedexes. Aside from that, nothing much else of note that doesn't involve story hints except for one thing...

Swift is a TM again? Intriguing... ...possible buff to the move coming our way?
I hope not: i actually want to run Technician swift to cheese early game to bits

The question would be - what kind of buff they could give Swift?

One could say "higher Base Power" in order to match with Aura Sphere, but that would make it overlap with Hyper Voice as it's a spread Special move (exchanging the inability to ignore Substitutes with perfect accuracy).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The question would be - what kind of buff they could give Swift?

One could say "higher Base Power" in order to match with Aura Sphere, but that would make it overlap with Hyper Voice as it's a spread Special move (exchanging the inability to ignore Substitutes with perfect accuracy).
I had a more unconventional idea: Make it a Fairy type move. Stars have been associated with Fairies or moves commonly used by them like Wish. Making it a priority move as Pumpkinz suggested though? That could be even better!

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I had a more unconventional idea: Make it a Fairy type move. Stars have been associated with Fairies or moves commonly used by them like Wish. Making it a priority move as Pumpkinz suggested though? That could be even better!
I feel like a 60 bp special fairy move would just be outclassed by every other special fairy move. Priority would be essential. It'd basically be a more powerful fairy type vacuum wave, which sounds p good.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It attacked Maractus rather than the Dynamaxed Grookey. Maybe Max Moves only trigger on other Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon? In other trailers we always saw Max Moves used on other D/G Pokes.
Wow, that's... Actually a good point...

Is there any footage of a max move being directly used on a regular Pokemon? I still think they would've said this was a thing if it existed, but if your theory is true... Goodness gracious, that changes a LOT about this mechanic...

The Nessa Gym demo lets players more or less experiment freely with dynamax for a bit; surely someone would've tried using a Max move against a non-maxed Pokemon at some point, right?

It attacked Maractus rather than the Dynamaxed Grookey. Maybe Max Moves only trigger on other Dynamax/Gigantamax Pokemon? In other trailers we always saw Max Moves used on other D/G Pokes.
We saw in the Nessa demos that D-Max mons can use Max Moves vs regular mons.

I'd go with the simple explanation that Raid Dynamax Pokémon don't work the same way as trained Dynamax.
Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. It's very interesting because you get to know what moves the mon has without relying on weird stuff like Dittos or Mimic.

We saw in the Nessa demos that D-Max mons can use Max Moves vs regular mons.

Yeah, that's the most likely explanation. It's very interesting because you get to know what moves the mon has without relying on weird stuff like Dittos or Mimic.
Just watched a few of the trailers and the E3 Treehouse and the Steelix used Max Rock on a Ludicolo with no Dynamax Pokemon on the trainers' side. It then did not use any Max Move for the next two turns, though it did use 2 moves per turn. So it's either a "One Max Move per Raid Battle" situation or "One Max Move every X number of turns".

HOLD UP!

Did I just saw Raid D-Max Hoothoot NOT use a Max Move?

Yes?

Raid Pokemon can chose between two(?) normal moves, and Maxed ones. We saw that in the E3 demo

Fake Edit: it seems i am late.
Actually, I've thought on something else.

Remember there are Dynamax levels, but we don't know what it is?

Maybe it's the amount of MAX Moves you can use while Dynamaxed:
- Level 1: Only one
- Level 2: Two
- Level 3: Every turn

Maybe the difference lies there.
Well, that would be a bit messy. Offensive MAX moves are always the same, and have usually better secondary effects that the normal ones, but that would imply a Maxed pokemon using a status move but Max-Guard.

... Except if Max Guard is an exception. And there are non-Max offensive moves with different utility effect: for example, the Absorb line. And Snatch Knock Off.

Being forced to use the Maxed moves when there is an use for the non-Maxed ones would be messy. It would make getting better a worse state.

View attachment 201332

So we've got confirmation that Experience is still level-dependant.

Also, it seems the Rare Candy is being revamped, not especifically giving a level-up but a experience boost instead. There seem to be different Candy sizes.
Honestly? Thank Arceus. I never used Rare Candy in games until the very end because I knew it wouldn't be worth using them early on, so this means it can actually fulfill its intended purpose of using it almost as soon as you get it.

View attachment 201332

Also, it seems the Rare Candy is being revamped, not especifically giving a level-up but a experience boost instead. There seem to be different Candy sizes.
Interesting, I wonder if they are replacing Wings/Vitamins with candy too? As long as it doesn’t work like Let’s Go EVs.

also what is the context of that pic? Why do they have a level 45 Corviknight but level 12 - 18 everything else, including all 3 starters?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
View attachment 201332

This was confirmed in Nintendo Treehouse (Which is where this screen is from). The only new footage shown to us today is some stuff from the wild area with the combees and running around with other players. A lot of the video reviews are using old footage form other trailers.

Yes?

Raid Pokemon can chose between two(?) normal moves, and Maxed ones. We saw that in the E3 demo

Fake Edit: it seems i am late.

Well, that would be a bit messy. Offensive MAX moves are always the same, and have usually better secondary effects that the normal ones, but that would imply a Maxed pokemon using a status move but Max-Guard.

... Except if Max Guard is an exception. And there are non-Max offensive moves with different utility effect: for example, the Absorb line. And Snatch Knock Off.

Being forced to use the Maxed moves when there is an use for the non-Maxed ones would be messy. It would make getting better a worse state.
Judging by the Nessa demo, they all turn into Max Guard. RIP Deoxys-D.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a pretty clever and organic way to implement tutorial skipping into the game. We all agree that tutorial skipping has been one of the obvious missing elements, and the way they could have done it is to have a selection screen with

1. Enable all tutorials
2. Enable only tutorials for new mechanics to Sword/Shield
3. Disable all tutorials

But in a lot of ways I actually like their method better. The above method, while effective, is a bit clunky, and the majority of people will catch a Pokemon at that initial part. Given that they've shown we're able to skip multiple tutorials, it's possible that they could've implemented some way to have tutorials autoskipped if it's detected that you've played through the game already, making repeat playthroughs more fluid. That would be awesome.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)