Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Alright, we've looked over some of the footage for mechanics changes... ...But are we not gonna talk about that GameInformer article tho? A lot of it is redacted, but there's still some interesting implications and new information.

"However, instead of it being the typical professor giving the monologue, Sword and Shield open with a speech from Chairman Rose in the middle of stadium in the style of a TV broadcast. The speech goes over the same beats as your typical Pokémon opening, but sets the tone for the sports-centric atmosphere in the Galar region. " Nothing really earthshattering here, just a neat subtle change of pace that as OP says gives some insight into Galar.

"After a brief speech, undefeated Galar champion Leon emerges to begin a battle with a character I can’t yet discuss. Leon calls out his trusty Charizard and the broadcast cuts away just as his Charizard grows enormous in size." A while back, I remember a screenshot being added to the website teasing Leon which showed him addressing someone named "Raihan". Could he be more important than we initially thought?

"Leon then recalls the sole remaining Pokémon, Grookey. With a subtle emphasis on Leon bringing the grass-type back to his possession, I ask if we’ll ever see that particular Grookey again. The team declines to comment." Sounds like Leon will use the final form of whatever starter neither you or Hop choose in the final battle with him. Kukui did this too in Sun and Moon!

" As I venture deeper into the woods, a mysterious creature appears before me. While I can’t spoil what happens, I eventually exit the Slumbering Weald, Wooloo by my side, and am back on track toward Wedgehurst. " This could mean all kinds of things. Eternatus? A member of the secondary legendary group, i.e. the cutscene in Sun and Moon where your character gets saved by Tapu Koko? Something else entirely?

"While I can’t say any of the creatures aside from Yamper, I love how different Pokémon appear in the tall grass through random encounters than do as creatures that roam in the environment." 0_0 sounds like you can't catch the entire Galar Pokedex without good ol' running through grass. If I'm interpreting this right, that means we haven't seen everything the currently showcased environments have to offer.

"However, before venturing out of the town, I swing by the Pokémon Center. Galarian Pokémon Centers continue down the path of being one-stop shops for many of your Pokémon needs. In addition to healing your Pokémon through the nurse, you can also have their nicknames rated, rename them, or even delete moves. You can also access the PC and buy supplies in the shop. After stocking up, it’s time to venture to Professor Magnolia." The Name Rater is dead! Now you can change nicknames anytime you head to the Pokemon Center, right at the start of the game on top of that! Neat QOL improvement.

"Once I receive the Letter of Endorsement, a shiny object falls from the sky. This Wishing Star grants me access to the Dynamax ability, which causes your Pokémon to grow massive and powerful in battle. " Woah, woah, woah, what?! Access to Dynamaxing literally falls from the sky??? The writer didn't mention a cutscene to go along with this of other characters explaining the source, so in my eyes this strongly implies there is an unseen Pokemon (likely a Legendary or even a Mythical) responsible for Dynamaxing being a thing.

Last edited:
"Leon then recalls the sole remaining Pokémon, Grookey. With a subtle emphasis on Leon bringing the grass-type back to his possession, I ask if we’ll ever see that particular Grookey again. The team declines to comment." Sounds like Leon will use the final form of whatever starter neither you or Hop choose in the final battle with him. Kukui did this too in Sun and Moon!
Not gonna lie, it'll be hilarious if Leon get Scorbunny and Charizard on the same team.

Pokemon have auras designating their IVs, and are referred to as "strong". They may also have egg moves.
I personally want to see how this makes competitive more accessible, hope to see other QOL's

And yes, you can wander into areas you aren't supposed to go and face way stronger mons! No invisible walls to be seen!
Easy power leveling lets go

I'm personally wondering how this will prevent people from getting higher-level pokes right at the beginning of the WA Experience, considering what we know about Pokeballs and such. If I recall correctly, the over leveling cap is for traded pokemon.

Also, any hints of a minigame this gen? would love to know.

Wouldn't it be funny if there were a way to F.E.A.R. a high-leveled wild Pokémon in the early-game?
speedrunners will find a way, they always do

I really appreciate how this will diversify gameplay, like you can choose to only fight on routes, or occasionally look for rare or strong mons in the Wild Area, or just rush the most broken things out there. The decreased linearity will make the game much more interesting to veteran players and improve replayability imo.

I'm personally wondering how this will prevent people from getting higher-level pokes right at the beginning of the WA Experience, considering what we know about Pokeballs and such. If I recall correctly, the over leveling cap is for traded pokemon.
It's previously been stated that you'll be prevented from catching these much higher-levelled Pokémon, though it's not been clarified what decides that. My best guess is through how many badges you have; maybe once you get 2 badges you'll be able to catch Wild Area 'mon up to level 30 for instance.

Deleted User 465389

Banned deucer.
One thing I've noticed that's a little odd is that of the Pokemon that have so far appeared in every 'dex from the beginning- Zubat/Golbat, Psyduck/Golduck, and Magnemite/Magneton, (and if you're counting Gen 2, Crobat and Heracross) none of them are confirmed as of today.

Just a little tidbit.
oooh, maybe no zubats in caves!

Lol how would that have any bearing on your ability to play the game?
Umm, it doesn't. Why did you think it did? I just think Pokemon speedruns are cool, and I think it's kinda dumb that Hawlucha is to my knowledge the only Pokemon used in two separate generations, and seeing it be used a third time would be even dumber. Plus, Hawlucha is hella strong, and really shouldn't be an early game Pokemon even if you ignore speedruns.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Umm, it doesn't. Why did you think it did? I just think Pokemon speedruns are cool, and I think it's kinda dumb that Hawlucha is to my knowledge the only Pokemon used in two separate generations, and seeing it be used a third time would be even dumber. Plus, Hawlucha is hella strong, and really shouldn't be an early game Pokemon even if you ignore speedruns.
Note that hawlucha is literally OU.............

One thing I've noticed that's a little odd is that of the Pokemon that have so far appeared in every 'dex from the beginning- Zubat/Golbat, Psyduck/Golduck, and Magnemite/Magneton, (and if you're counting Gen 2, Crobat and Heracross) none of them are confirmed as of today.

Just a little tidbit.
Minor correction: Magnemite is not in the DP regional dex, only the platinum one.

What NaturalTropius said is still essentially true though, especially in regards to these games. While Magnemite wasn't in DP's regional Pokédex, it was still obtainable without the need of transfer, trade etc. In the post-game, you could find it through a Swarm (or Poké Radar, I don't remember).

All of these Pokémon were also available in BW's post-game for instance. And discounting a couple scant cases of version exclusivity (remember when Psyduck was Leafgreen-exclusive? Remember that?), the only exception here is that Heracross wasn't in SM. But it was made available in USUM's postgame.

So if the point being made here is "these four Pokémon have been obtainable in every game so far, so it's odd that they haven't been seen in SwSh yet", then it's still a point that stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)