Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

It's not all about size, but also what they put in it. If the Wild Area is just mostly flat terrain, pathways, and some surf areas, offering little to explore, it will be lame. The fun of BotW Hyrule is that each region is rich in places to explore. Caves, ruins, mountains, hidden items, so on. I'm hoping the Wild Area is full of items and cool, non-plot but lore-building areas, etc etc. Part of me is worried it will be just a flat terrain where you can catch Pokemon without much else to do or see.

Also I just realized being able to access the Wild Area within the first 2 hours... and with weather dictating the wild encounters... and Hail being on the forecast... Early game Ice types*?! Swinub being seen in that train station(?) gives me a bit of hope.

*The only other time we've had Ice types very early is Delibird in SM (ok..) and Vanillite in the Cold Storage in BW (which was more early midgame) and uhhh... Smoochum from the egg in Crystal? Amaura in XY if you picked it, too. I can't remember Shellder/Cloyster's availability off the top of my head.

Last edited:
It's not all about size, but also what they put in it. If the Wild Area is just mostly flat terrain, pathways, and some surf areas, offering little to explore, it will be lame. The fun of BotW Hyrule is that each region is rich in places to explore. Caves, ruins, mountains, hidden items, so on. I'm hoping the Wild Area is full of items and cool, non-plot but lore-building areas, etc etc. Part of me is worried it will be just a flat terrain where you can catch Pokemon but we'll see and there's not much else to do or see.

Also I just realized being able to access the Wild Area within the first 2 hours... and with weather dictating the wild encounters... and Hail being on the forecast... Early game Ice types*?! Swinub being seen in that train station(?) gives me a bit of hope.

*The only other time we've had Ice types very early is Delibird in SM (ok..) and Vanillite in the Cold Storage in BW (which was more early midgame) and uhhh... Smoochum from the egg in Crystal? Amaura in XY if you picked it, too. I can't remember Shellder/Cloyster's availability off the top of my head.
Smoochum comes pretty early in USUM iirc.

But yeah, early Ice-Types would be amazing.

Yeah, although I like the concept of the Wild Area, its sheer size means nothing if it isn't well used. In Goldenrod, there was a single tunnel with plenty of things to do, and it was totally not an open world thing.

I want to see something in the distance, and go there to find something. That's how I want this game to be. If it's not to be done properly, please don't do it.

An open world must feel like a populated world, it a desert.

Last edited:
Put it this way: When was the last time you actually used an Ice-type during an in-game run? Did you obtain it before or after the seventh Gym?
Well, I did use Amaura in XY and that was obatainable prior to second gym. Smooching was also available on the first island in USM.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Have you guys already forgotten about the wild areas weather? All you need to do is find a snowy weather condition and you'll be up to your neck in snovers and vannilites. And seeing as we can get to there withing the first hour and weather changes by time of day and region, you'll have plenty of opportunities.
Yeah, that's the point of the discussion right now. We're speculating about this possibility due to it not really having existed in previous entries or at least it being very rare.

Well i suppose we cant truly tell once we get all those fancy weather conditions like thinderstorms, but if i were a betting man Something like Fog or Strong Winds would be the rare ones
Best believe anything that boost dragon types would be the rare ones! Or maybe its truly random.

Another point of interest is the fact that Wild Pokémon that are too strong for you cannot be caught.

The question is: what is "too strong"? Would it be a level limit similar to that of traded mons?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Another point of interest is the fact that Wild Pokémon that are too strong for you cannot be caught.

The question is: what is "too strong"? Would it be a level limit similar to that of traded mons?
I reckon it'll be either that or it'll be based on gym badges, e.g. "Get gym badge X to catch Wild Area mons up to level Y"

Another question I have is how powerful are some of these mons gonna get? I recall a demonstration video of Duraludon's signature move which was shown off against a Level 60 Tyranitar.

The Wild area is what I’m really looking forward to. I’ve always dreamed of an open word Pokémon game, and this is the first steps to it. My only concern is that the only thing to do is catch Pokémon and participate in Max raid Battles , with no extra areas or side quests to solve or items to find. That’ll make the Lv 50 Encounters early game seem like it’s there to discourage exploration.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hey I thought I would share this, it looked really interesting.
So danTDM released a new video showing Pokemon sword and shield exclusive gameplay, near the end of the video he is going through the raid battles where you can briefly see a Pokémon that I have never seen before! It almost looks like a bipedal Eevee.

Are you meming? That's a guy in a costume bro

I reckon it'll be either that or it'll be based on gym badges, e.g. "Get gym badge X to catch Wild Area mons up to level Y"

Another question I have is how powerful are some of these mons gonna get? I recall a demonstration video of Duraludon's signature move which was shown off against a Level 60 Tyranitar.
Not counting demos, have there been any cases in the past where prerelease footage shows off a scenario that can't actually occur in-game such as opponent Pokemon levels? The only one that I can remember is Beast Ball Naganadel which is barely the same thing.

I genuinely thought it was some weird looking Pokémon, it looked small in scale with the others. That’s honestly pretty funny.
It looks like a PokeKid NPC Trainer wearing an Eevee Costume instead of a Pikachu Costume.

which i guess means when you get NPCs to help with raid battles it includes NPC trainer classes.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
According to Serebii we are possibly getting more info on SwSh from Pokenchi on the 27th.
Isn't Pokenchi that one show that is kinda infamous for repeating what we already know, only very rarely giving new snippets of information? In fact, I seem to remember there being a similar announcement from Pokenchi earlier this year that pretty much amounted to nothing.

Don't get overly excited for this.

Isn't Pokenchi that one show that is kinda infamous for repeating what we already know, only very rarely giving new snippets of information? In fact, I seem to remember there being a similar announcement from Pokenchi earlier this year that pretty much amounted to nothing.

Don't get overly excited for this.
True. My hope is that, if it is a rehash of old news, it’s news that will be revealed this Wednesday rather than just going over G-Butterfree, Charizard, Pikachu, and Eevee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)