Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So I had my copy of gameinformwr for a few days now, but i was wondering if anyone wanted scans? Its several pages long and recaps a lot of what the other articles rhe month have said, but I figure i might as well anyway.

One bit I read was the reason Gamefreak didnt want to make a console version for so long was because they always wanted Pokemon to be an interactive experience, meaning meeting up at events and finding other players in the real world. Until the switch, a console would have ruined that experience pokemon always had.

So we've seen some gameplay. But are there any videos showing the in game stat screen for an individual Pokemon? Skimmed the videos and didn't see any. Wondering what stats they show off in game this go around.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I played the E3 demo at EGX earlier; not sure how much of this is already on the internet but I took a few notes when queing/after playing if anyone is interested:

Gossifleueur - hyper voice, leaf storm; speed drop ability affects all moves regardless of whether phys/spec or contact/no contact

Impidimp - Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Assurance

Dreadnaw - Liquidation

Generic trainers are much more expressive than past games—lass’ strop after losing is convincing, and her “left/right eyesight” overworld animation is stuffed with personality

Dreadnaw max rockfall deals 50% to regular Grookey, assuming demo stats = real stats

Twirl the control stick to do a dance move; speculation here but there could possibly be something similar to XY’s skate tricks that you learn throughout the game? Edit: apparently this was a thing in Alola too? If it was I never realised lol.

In-gym heal can be used after entering the leader’s area by just walking back towards the door you entered through; this might be demo exclusive but it’s a nice quality of life thing regardless.

Anyway I really liked the demo; it feels like there is a lot of charm even within the very limited confines of a gym, which is a good sign.

So I had my copy of gameinformwr for a few days now, but i was wondering if anyone wanted scans? Its several pages long and recaps a lot of what the other articles rhe month have said, but I figure i might as well anyway.

One bit I read was the reason Gamefreak didnt want to make a console version for so long was because they always wanted Pokemon to be an interactive experience, meaning meeting up at events and finding other players in the real world. Until the switch, a console would have ruined that experience pokemon always had.
That would be great!

So we've seen some gameplay. But are there any videos showing the in game stat screen for an individual Pokemon? Skimmed the videos and didn't see any. Wondering what stats they show off in game this go around.
IIRC, the nessa demo had a few vids where the stat screen is shown.

I'll be honest, I like the clean and sleek UI a lot. Hopefully we'll be able to change colors, but I like the simplistic approach.

IIRC, the nessa demo had a few vids where the stat screen is shown.

I'll be honest, I like the clean and sleek UI a lot. Hopefully we'll be able to change colors, but I like the simplistic approach.
Going to look through the thread but do you happen to have a link to the specific video?

Not right now, but you can definitely find it on youtube.

Maybe Abdallah was the one who posted it? Sorry, I can't quite remember rn.
Okay thanks. Not exactly what I was looking for but you get a general idea of the UI. I always forget that the in the PC or box the stat screen is different and are more consolidated than the in battle ones. Wondering if they have that in Sword and Shield. In the DS & 3DS games they split on two screens, stats on the top and the box on the bottom. Wanting to know how that area looks and what they do. Side by side?

And does anyone have any educated guesses on total number of Pokemon for this game? I am guessing around 500.

And does anyone have any educated guesses on total number of Pokemon for this game? I am guessing around 500.
I was originally in the 500 Pokémon camp as well but I think I’ll bump my prediction up to 600.

By Yung Dramps count we are already at 284, and even if you exclude variants that’s still more than half the Dex that would have been revealed if it were only 500, and we really haven’t seen all that much.

The only Pokémon that I’m willing to bet are 100% gone from the Galar Dex are the Unown.

Speaking of Unown, wasn't its most recent appearance in ORAS? Gen 7 doesn't include that species natively without Bank, and they're likely to be forgotten in Galar, which doesn't sound too bad.

I was thinking about the footage of the Wild Area, and are there going to be subset areas? I remember there was a forested area (maybe), a heavily snowy area, and of course the green fields that we've seen over and over. How radically will the terrain change with the weather? Will different sub-areas have different weather probabilities and Pokemon within? Hmm.

Last edited:
I really feel like Pokemon may be losing me this generation, which is a bummer because it's been my favorite game series for almost 20 years.

No amount of ancillary features or small QOL changes can justify scalping the game of a significant portion of the Pokedex. Dumping Megas and Z-Moves in favor of what will likely be another short-lived mechanic (Dynamax) is just the cherry on top as well. As more and more info comes out about the games I'm realizing the series is probably on trajectory for permanent changes that I'm just not on board with. The competetive aspect of the game will change dramatically this generation as well. So much getting left behind this generation, and I just don't understand it. Anybody else not pumped for these games? I'm sure a bunch of you are, but I just can't seem to get behind it.

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :blobshrug:

I really feel like Pokemon may be losing me this generation, which is a bummer because it's been my favorite game series for almost 20 years.

No amount of ancillary features or small QOL changes can justify scalping the game of a significant portion of the Pokedex. Dumping Megas and Z-Moves in favor of what will likely be another short-lived mechanic (Dynamax) is just the cherry on top as well. As more and more info comes out about the games I'm realizing the series is probably on trajectory for permanent changes that I'm just not on board with. The competetive aspect of the game will change dramatically this generation as well. So much getting left behind this generation, and I just don't understand it. Anybody else not pumped for these games? I'm sure a bunch of you are, but I just can't seem to get behind it.

Guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. :blobshrug:
I too dont share the same enthusiasm for the game because they dumped z moves and megas. However I disagree that small QOL changes can make a difference- and what I mean by that are buffs to pokemon in the game. Sure, dexit cut some out of the game- and this will almost certainly auto buff up certain mons a tier or two. Then theres the stat increases and wider movepool adjustments along with the breath of galar variants. I'm excluding dynamax here because I'm not sure how well it will fit into competitive (seems busted atm).

Anyway where I'm going with this is that those several QOL improvements to pokemon stack up in the big picture to enhance or at least redefine the metagame, giving other mons a chance to rise up and step into the power gap left behind by dexit.

TL;DR excited for new SwSh metagame post dexit and potential buffs to pokemon.

Speaking of Unown, wasn't its most recent appearance in ORAS? Gen 7 doesn't include that species natively without Bank, and they're likely to be forgotten in Galar, which doesn't sound too bad.
Correct, they are the only non-mythical Pokemon incapable of having the Alola-born symbol in Gen VII, due to being incapable of breeding and last being catchable in Gen VI.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I understand wanting to quit because of Dexit. I've been there before. I thought I'd quit when the Fairy Type was revealed and when I was desperately hoping for news I didn't hate, a bird that looked like it was wearing an ugly pair of sweat pants was revealed. (Seriously, that was my first though. Just look at Talonflame's official artwork.) I still checked Serebii after the games came out out of curiosity and after about ten days, I gave in and bought Y. I still loved Pokemon and I will always love it. Long story short, insert the "You're here forever" meme here. I know not everyone who feels this way will come back, but please remember this if you do.

Even after saying that, I'm skipping SwSh unless there's a Nationla Dex Patch, but I don't have my hopes up. The third game's probably going to have a bigger dex and I really don't like the idea of paying for a game that I know is a worse version of one that will come out a year or two later.

On a positive note, something I don't think I've seen anyone say is I really like the idea of Regional Dex only for competitive stuff to cause a completely different metagame. I'd even like it if the new Battle Tower/Tree version was restricted to Regional Dex only even after a Hypothetical Nation Dex Patch just because of getting to try new things. It would mean I don't get to use my favorite Pokemon for anything serious, (except Smogon Nat Dex OU, which I probably won't play.) but there's something about having all my Pokemon on one game.

It’s the UK, there will definitely be a Stonehenge location. Do you really think “Mysterious ruins no one knows the purpose of” won’t have Unknown?
I was thinking about that and I think that the Claydol, Golurk, Beheeyem, Sigilyph, Celfable lines, and whatever new Pokémon we get would be good coverage for Stonehenge. Just because something is ancient or unexplained doesn’t mean that it is automatically connected to Unown.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)