Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

My my. This thread has 151 pages... Approximately the exact amount of Pokémon from Gen 1... Coincidence? I think NOT! :psysly::bloblul:

The Grass-type starter is called Grookey, Fire-type starter Scorbunny and Water-type Pokémon is Sobble.

I just need to know two things:
1. Can we battle wild Pokemon?
2. Are motion controls still a thing?
Motion controls are definitely gonna be optional (If at all), considering the new release of the Nintendo Switch Lite.

MOD EDIT: Posts merged. Please don't double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of the Aether Foundation btw, one of the surprising points of S/M is that nobody is actually evil from the start even after the story ends despite AF was screaming “I AM EVIL" during that start.

The whole Foundation did not really do anything heinous nor have malicious intentions in the first place (bar Lusamine and her crazy shenanigans, but she was poisoned and suffered from mental diseases) and with an -redacted- manager class who isn't evil in the usual sense either. Every other are just regular people here for a paycheck probably unaware of Lusamine going haywire too.

Guess Team Yell is gonna be the same thing as well.

I was gonna say something about “maybe add SuMo to the list“, but at about 8 new ‘mons that weren’t revealed prior to launch that was about on par with XY, wasn’t it? I think the Looker Missions weren’t announced in both either, so I reckon it’s comparable.

That said, the whole “Oh man, I wonder if the Aether Foundation is evil. *winkwink nudgenudge*” bit that didn’t even last until the first cutscene was annoying. Glad they are avoiding that.

Lusamine was abusive towards her kids. That’s nothing to do with mental disorders and everything to do with her being a horrible person.
She goes off the rockers after she was intoxicated.
Abusive, probably, but not straight up evil unlike the commonly evil folks in Pokemon history.

You and I have very different definitions of “evil”, then.
The definition of "evil" would be actually having malicious intents.

Let's say it's more speaking of "misguided" vs "evil". Some examples:

Giovanni is evil: he wants power over everything.
Cyrus is evil: he wants to literally destroy the universe for reasons.
Ghetsis is evil: like Giovanni, he just wants world domination, everything else is a tool to obtain it.
Lysandre is evil: he wants only him and the ones he considers worthy to survive in his world.

Maxie/Archie instead are misguided: they are blindly convinced that awakening the primals will be beneficial for the world, act on best intentions despite actually being going for a catastrophe.

Lusamine is a special case: she is also misguided originally, as she is overprotective/borderline abusive toward her kids and her pokemon after she basically has a breakdown losing her husband.
SM Lusamine ends up evil: she wants to just ibernate all the things as she almost lost her sanity, and on top of that she ends up intoxicated and going completely mental.
USUM Lusamine however stays misguided: she wants to capture Necrozma thinking that'd save the planet, but has no actual malicious intents (see maxie/archie)

Now, this has nothing really to do with SwSh, but my 2cents is that we're getting another "Misguided" version of the villain this gen, because games have been slowly heading toward that "less evil, more friendly" direction on both rivals and badguys lately.

I like the way XP candies mitigate the Rare Candy issue of "basically wasted if you were about to level up anyway"

It looks like we can be fairly sure these games will cut down on the obnoxious grinding in SM.

Supplement buff is deeply appreciated. I missed Super Training and how it made it practical to get a Pokemon to optimised EVs right away, so it's nice to have that back in some form.

By the way, was the term "Supplement" for what fans have called Vitamins ever used before?
Not that I can recall. They were called "Pokemon drinks" in HGSS, which is the most recent official naming convention for them.

I think the only things we have missing now are a way to change Hidden Power type and a way to set IVs to 0, right? Which ironically means that a Pokemon with 0 IVs in everything is the most valuable breeding stock. (EDIT: Also HAs)

Last edited:
This could be be huge. So they seemingly removed the limit on vitamins, but also reduced their effectiveness. Previously vitamin gave 10 EVs (i.e., 2.5 added to the stat). Gengar went from 140 SpA to 170 SpA with 26 Calcium, that's around 4.6 EVs per vitamin. It cannot be 5 EVs/vitamin, because that would mean +32.5 added to SpA, so the system has certainly changed. Perhaps it's like the LGPE, so the more EVs on your Pokémon, the more vitamins you have to feed them.

Anyways, I hope you can feed as many as possible to the Pokémon, that way EV training is less grinding.

This could be be huge. So they seemingly removed the limit on vitamins, but also reduced their effectiveness. Previously vitamin gave 10 EVs (i.e., 2.5 added to the stat). Gengar went from 140 SpA to 170 SpA with 26 Calcium, that's around 4.6 EVs per vitamin. It cannot be 5 EVs/vitamin, because that would mean +32.5 added to SpA, so the system has certainly changed. Perhaps it's like the LGPE, so the more EVs on your Pokémon, the more vitamins you have to feed them.

Anyways, I hope you can feed as many as possible to the Pokémon, that way EV training is less grinding.
A neutral nature Level 47 Gengar can reach a maximum of 171 Special Attack.

So no, it seems the EV boost has not changed (specifically going to 26 as 25 wouldn't have given all EVs). It seems to have an imperfect IV though.

This could be be huge. So they seemingly removed the limit on vitamins, but also reduced their effectiveness. Previously vitamin gave 10 EVs (i.e., 2.5 added to the stat). Gengar went from 140 SpA to 170 SpA with 26 Calcium, that's around 4.6 EVs per vitamin.
Isn't that just because EVs don't have a static impact, but it varies based on your level? That Gengar isn't level 100. It would be ridiculously broken for a level 1 Pokemon with 252 EVs in a stat (very doable) to get +63 to that stat.

A neutral nature Level 47 Gengar can reach a maximum of 171 Special Attack.

So no, it seems the EV boost has not changed (specifically going to 26 as 25 wouldn't have given all EVs). It seems to have an imperfect IV though.
Oh, you're right! For a minute, I mixed them up with AVs, which do have a direct impact regardless of level.

Isn't that just because EVs don't have a static impact, but it varies based on your level? That Gengar isn't level 100. It would be ridiculously broken for a level 1 Pokemon with 252 EVs in a stat (very doable) to get +63 to that stat.
Yeah, I was thinking of the LGPE candy system that has no level restriction. It's good then! I really appreciate this feature, since EV training's always been such a boring chore.

Got some more info. Includes basic information practically everyone knows, but includes some added.

New Items and Features for Training Pokémon
New items that will help Trainers raise their Pokémon will be introduced in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

Each Pokémon has a Nature that can impact which of its stats are likely to grow faster or slower than average. Using a Mint on a Pokémon seems to change these stat-growth patterns and will impact which stats of a Pokémon are likely to grow faster than usual. Mints will not change a Pokémon’s Nature.

Special supplements—nutritious drinks like Protein and Iron—raise a Pokémon’s base points, which in turn help raise that Pokémon’s stats. If two Pokémon are of the same species but one has more base points, the Pokémon with more base points will grow stronger. Until now, there has been a limit on how many special supplements could be used on a Pokémon. In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, Trainers will be able to max out a Pokémon’s base points using only these supplements.
Normally, Pokémon earn Exp. Points through battling.

If a Trainer uses an Exp. Candy, they will be able to give their Pokémon Exp. Points directly. Exp. Candy can be earned in Max Raid Battles.

Sometimes, a Pokémon hatched from an Egg will know unusual moves called Egg Moves. Egg Moves are moves that a Pokémon normally wouldn’t be able to learn through more common means, like leveling up or using TMs.

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, if two Pokémon of the same species are placed at a Pokémon Nursery together, an Egg Move that one them knows can be passed on to the other Pokémon. A Pokémon can only learn an Egg Move in this way when it knows three or fewer moves.

New Features Including Changes to Pokémon Boxes, Autosave Functionality, and Pokémon Nicknames for Traded Pokémon

There are many new features that will be introduced in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield that are designed to make a Trainer’s adventure easier to enjoy.

Pokémon that aren’t on a Trainer’s team can be deposited into Pokémon Boxes. In these games, Trainers will not only be able to access their Pokémon Boxes in various towns and facilities but also while they’re on the road or even when exploring tall grass.

Pokémon can be swapped in and out of a Trainer’s team whenever the Trainer wants, though there are a few places, such as mission areas where a Trainer takes on a Pokémon Gym, where Trainers won’t be able to access their Pokémon Boxes.

Saving the game diligently has always been a part of a Pokémon adventure but in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, Trainers can take advantage of the new autosave function.

The autosave function will automatically save a player’s progress during their adventure at various points, such as entering a town or building. Although the function is automatically enabled when a Trainer begins their adventure, it can be turned off so saves can be made manually. Even when autosave is on, it is still possible to save progress in the game manually. Trainers can choose how they would like to save in the Options menu.

If a Pokémon that has been received in a trade doesn’t have a nickname, Trainers will now have the chance to give it a nickname—but only once. This can be achieved by speaking to the man standing behind the left-hand counter in any Galar region Pokémon Center. Like previous Pokémon video games, the name of a traded Pokémon that already has a nickname cannot be changed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dHsaDwVh-AqGeT3u6h5zQPO2X99kXRGV/view?usp=drivesdk

Serebii said:
With this, from November 15th 2019 to January 2020, some Max Raid Battles for Gigantamax Pokémon will be more common. During this time, you'll find more Gigantamax Butterfree as well as Gigantamax Drednaw in Sword and Corviknight in Shield.
Wait, how does this work? I thought no online connection was needed for raid battles, so how does the game know to do this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)