Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I really liked this trailer actually, some of the new abilities and moves seem really neat! Corviknight I can see being a great mon in double battles due to how abilities like intimidate are very common in the metagame. If It’s the game, Im sure it would be an interesting counter to Landorus and other intimidate mons.

Did I miss something or the mirroed Intimidate didn't affect Dynamax Milotic?
It didn't. It only reflects the effect on the target to the user. Everyone else is unaffected by Mirror Armor.

Gyarados's Intimidate was activated.
Corviknight's Mirror Armor was activated.
Gyarados's Attack fell.
Whimsicott's Attack fell.
Corviknight's Attack was unaffected.
Milotic's Attack was unaffected.

Soft confirmation of what we already knew in that page: you don't require any held item to Dynamax.

Also, we get to have a glance of the new Pokemon moveset:
View attachment 190711

Not that much that's unexpected, but we get to see that Corviknight gets Power Trip (which is quite interesting considering it has low attack but high defenses), and Obstagoon as expected getting Doble Edge.
I hope that we can use the Rental teams in RL tournaments as well. It should cut the hacking in VGC by a ton.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
>Conkeldurr confirmed

The redemption arc is over. Better luck in Gen 9, old timer...

(trailer's still good overall, although ngl i panicked for a sec when room service appeared b/c i thought they were about to go sicko mode and introduce a TR extender on our ass. eject pack highkey fire)

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Eject Pack is busted as hell if it’s more than one-time. Like your Draco Meteor becomes a U-Turn which is just insane.

Room Service is pointless, you’d much rather have an item that does something more than let you win the TR mirror matchup.

Weezing’s ability is good for doubles, levitate is still way better for singles

Eject Pack is busted as hell if it’s more than one-time. Like your Draco Meteor becomes a U-Turn which is just insane.
It definitely looks like a replica of White Herb, just with red card's effect instead.
I'm still skeptical on if it'd be "that" busted as permament considering enemy Intimidate or faster pokemon's 20% stat drop / dinamax stat drop can trigger it and you'd be basically playing with one less pokemon anytime enemy has one.

Room Service is pointless, you’d much rather have an item that does something more than let you win the TR mirror matchup.
When it comes to VGC, having an anti-TR tech pokemon in the team isn't that uncommon considering it's "bring 6 choose 4". I can see it as potentially viable item in there, very unlikely otherwise in 6v6.

Weezing’s ability is good for doubles, levitate is still way better for singles
As I said elsewhere, I think it's a good but not autoinclude ability.
The fact it also shuts down your own pokemon ability plus (looking at the website) reactivates all abilities in same way as Skill Swap would when Weezing leaves the field easily makes it a double edged sword.

That said, being it on Weezing... unless a significant moveset or stat shuffle happens, even with the Fairy typing, it's still probably going to be a terrible/niche option anyway.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Honestly, Room Service might not even be that bad. So far Trick Room has been shown to be an actually viable playstyle in the speculatory meta with good setters and abusers like Mimikyu, Reuniclus, Vikavolt and Machamp/Conkeldurr, so even in singles the need to underspeed TR isn't unheard of.

Honestly, Room Service might not even be that bad. So far Trick Room has been shown to be an actually viable playstyle in the speculatory meta with good setters and abusers like Mimikyu, Reuniclus, Vikavolt and Machamp/Conkeldurr, so even in singles the need to underspeed TR isn't unheard of.
Speaking of Mimikyu, it might appreciate the new item, as its Speed is decently high.

I have to admit. I was not expecting a trailer like this that exclusively talked about the competitive aspect of SwSh. It's oddly refreshing and I hope we see more trailers like this down the line.

Galarian Weezing's Neutralizing Gas looks to be a pretty good Doubles ability, but it could become a double-edged sword for your own Pokemon. In fact, they even showcased this downside in the trailer when they demonstrated the removal of the partner Rotom-W's Levitate ability so the opposing Gastrodon could take it out with Earth Power. A part of me feels like the benefits gained from removing the opponent's abilities may be eclipsed by the negatives of your ally's abilities being disabled depending on the situation, which leaves me to believe Levitate will still be the more consistent option. I could be proven wrong, though. As for Singles, I feel Levitate would still be the better option by far.

I was going to say it'd be good for faster Pokemon that are trying to use Trick Room to their advantage, but then I realized that Iron Ball already exists, and is an item that halves your speed indefinitely. With that, I have to agree with this one unless Iron Ball is somehow not in SwSh.

Eject Pack sounds like a neat item, although I question why I'd use this over an item that increases attack power like Life Orb, Choice items, etc if it ends up being single use. If it can be used more than once, this'll be an extremely powerful tool for Pokemon like Hydreigon who like to use Draco Meteor.

Breaking Swipe looks to be about as good as Snarl is, but on the physical attacking side. Main difference here is that it can't go past subs, but Soundproof mons aren't immune to it.

Corviknight's Mirror Armor is neat, although I was hoping for Intimidate as the hidden ability. Good news is that if Corviknight has decent set up moves like Swords Dance (it's at least confirmed to have Hone Claws), opposing Intimidate users can't lower its attack after boosting, and are actually punished for trying to do so. Given how excellent of a defensive typing Steel/Flying is on the physical side, this is a nice perk for Corvy.

I'm happy that Dynamax/Gigantamax mons can't be flinched. Given their limited battle time, that would have been a pretty cheap way to kill that mechanic, especially when going for Protect afterwards.

I take your bet on it. If it's not fire/fighting, you gotta have Alolan Ash as your profile Pic for a month.
If it is, you're the one that'll have Alolan Ash for a month. Sounds like a good deal.

Gastrodon-East in? Niiiice. Always liked that mon.

The move animations are looking nice too, Earth Power looks good.

Max Fighting might be a bit of a problem, but let's be real, you can have Held Items + Dynamax, that's bonkers already.
Animation is kinda underwhelming too.

Edit: "Steel Beam"...Really?

Last edited:
Max Fighting might be a bit of a problem, but let's be real, you can have Held Items + Dynamax, that's bonkers already.
Animation is kinda underwhelming too.
Am I the only one who imagines Unzan doing that? (I am now imagining Dynamax Tsareena as Ichirin Kumoi doing that.)

So.. a single punch thrown out of the sky like a meteor. Oh, look a big explosion! You know what would've been ten times cooler?
Throw ten times more punches and all-out pummel everything then throw a big shockwave.

I was going to say it'd be good for faster Pokemon that are trying to use Trick Room to their advantage, but then I realized that Iron Ball already exists, and is an item that halves your speed indefinitely. With that, I have to agree with this one unless Iron Ball is somehow not in SwSh.
It's for this reason that I think that Room Service could actually be better than Iron Ball. If the opponent is not using Trick Room, the Room Service holder is not hampered (apart from the lack of a useful item). On the other hand, if you want to use Iron Ball, the holder is outright hampered if the opponent is not using Trick Room, unless you use one of the moveslots for Fling.

Eh, I think the ones that drop a defensive stat are more dangerous as Unaware users are not safe from them.

They did so many things right for the competitive scene and VGC but good lord Dynamax is still insanely busted (especially since you can't Protect against them now without sacrificing your own) and the fact that many fan favorites (non-title legendaries and starters in particular) are getting axed. You can only get so interested in Pokemon that you don't really care about.

I hate how GameFreak constantly goes one step forward and 5 steps back. I love the ranking system, but I actually can't see a world where Gen 8 Singles isn't worse than Gen 7 and I think that USUM was the most unfun and unbalanced meta yet.

It's for this reason that I think that Room Service could actually be better than Iron Ball. If the opponent is not using Trick Room, the Room Service holder is not hampered (apart from the lack of a useful item). On the other hand, if you want to use Iron Ball, the holder is outright hampered if the opponent is not using Trick Room, unless you use one of the moveslots for Fling.
Naturally, if you're running a Pokemon with Iron Ball, it's usually because it's on a Trick Room team. Idk why you'd also run Room Service on a non-Trick Room team, either.

Naturally, if you're running a Pokemon with Iron Ball, it's usually because it's on a Trick Room team. Idk why you'd also run Room Service on a non-Trick Room team, either.
As I said earlier, anti-TR tech on a single slot is pretty common in VGC, with the likes of Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Stakataka, etc. Since it's a "bring 6 but pick 4", you can not run that pokemon against non TR, but bring it anyway against a TR team: if the enemy doesnt set TR, you aren't hindered by the iron ball speed reduction either.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Sounds like Galarian Weezing could ruin many strategies for people.
I sure hope it doesn't have excellent stats, otherwise it would be everywhere and a pain to deal with.

Steel Beam? Seriously? That’s such a lame name.

I can’t stop imagining Dularogon or however it is called throwing these things around, rather than firing beams of destruction.

View attachment 190741

^ That, my friends, is a real life steel beam.
Steel beam is indeed a rather... lame name. x__x

If I understood the new item correctly, it doesn't lower speed outside trick room, but only lowers speed inside trick room.
So if you have like a medium speed trick room setter, such as Gardevoir, then I can see the item being handy.

If I understood the new item correctly, it doesn't lower speed outside trick room, but only lowers speed inside trick room.
So if you have like a medium speed trick room setter, such as Gardevoir, then I can see the item being handy.
The way it seems to work is similar to terrain seeds: when TR is up, it gets consumed and applies -1 speed.
So it's a one-use item that's also conditional (now we need it on unburden pokemon Kappa)

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
The way it seems to work is similar to terrain seeds: when TR is up, it gets consumed and applies -1 speed.
So it's a one-use item that's also conditional (now we need it on unburden pokemon Kappa)
Yup. That sounds more like it.
Previously I was imagining an item that keeps the user's speed low during trick room, but reverses the effects after trick room deactivates.
But your idea sounds more probable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)