Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So... Anybody you'd like to see get a Galarian form? And seeing as we know for sure they aren't gonna be mono-gen 1 anymore, how far past that do you think they'll go?

While I can't think of much else right now, it would be a shame imo if Mightyena didn't get a new form seeing as its counterpart Linoone did and it being in far more dire need of an update. And while I don't know if we'll see Galarian forms for gen 4 and 5 mons, I do think anything past that point is probably too recent for Game Freak to consider.

So... Anybody you'd like to see get a Galarian form? And seeing as we know for sure they aren't gonna be mono-gen 1 anymore, how far past that do you think they'll go?

While I can't think of much else right now, it would be a shame imo if Mightyena didn't get a new form seeing as its counterpart Linoone did and it being in far more dire need of an update. And while I don't know if we'll see Galarian forms for gen 4 and 5 mons, I do think anything past that point is probably too recent for Game Freak to consider.
Hypno and Seaking need new life breathed into them. Ledian is pretty popular and needs an update as well (bug/fighting would be nice). You could do a lot with Octillary seeing as how many octopi there are in the real world. Delcatty needs an update as bad as Mightyena. Basculin could use an evolution.

In gen 7 I had hoped that instead of having new fossils, Kabutops and/or Omastar would get ghost/water regional forms that looked kind of like the skeletons from Red/Blue. Since they're still doing gen 1 forms, it would still be cool for them to appear in Galar, possibly along with some of the later fossils getting a similar treatment.

Hypno and Seaking need new life breathed into them. Ledian is pretty popular and needs an update as well (bug/fighting would be nice). You could do a lot with Octillary seeing as how many octopi there are in the real world. Delcatty needs an update as bad as Mightyena. Basculin could use an evolution.
Something like an electric/poison Octillery based on a blue-ringed octopus would be amazing! (but given that it's the logo of the fire department in the steam city, it seems unlikely :( )

I've held my tongue on this simply because I was indifferent toward this generation in general. I figured I may as well get it off my chest now before I regret it later.

Seeing as the Z-Move and Totem mechanics were essentially fused into one super mechanic, and seeing Gigantamaxing got me thinking long and hard about the reinstallment of Mega Evolutions in a different light. The Champion's Pokémon is capable of Mega-Evolving into one of two forms, and the Pokémon showcased with Dynamaxing thus far have not been capable of Mega Evolution (save for Gyarados in the Dynamax Raid trailer). Besides, Gigantamaxing has been specifically shown to demonstrate the ability of Pokémon to alter their forms upon transformation: Thus, I have every reason to believe Gigantamaxing is this generation's Mega Evolution, and we may or may not see that in action between now and the games' release.

I am only going off of what I've seen from previous trailers and read from previous articles... I'm not getting my hopes up since I still remain indifferent toward investing this generation; but, seeing this come to pass would be interesting, to say the least.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Though I'm not entirely sure that this isn't a baseless speculation discussion and wishlisting...
That's my concern. Regional Variant has so much potential it's almost impossible to predict what they'll do. At most we can list what Pokemon could get a regional variant... but outside of that there's not much else we can really say that wouldn't be speculation.

I think we've pretty much reached the end of discussions for now. HOWEVER that doesn't mean we need to close the thread. As long as we don't get into heated arguments like with you-know-what it can be left open for anyone to post how they feel about the game and announcements made. And that way if a new announcement is made the thread will be open for us to start commenting on it.

If we need some friendly conversation starters, how about we talk about perceived plans. Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making? Are there any older Pokemon you're glad are back, do you plan on putting them on your team? For the new Pokemon are there any moves you hope it gets (I don't think that's too far into speculation)? What mechanic revealed so far are you looking forward too and what are your hopes for it (once again, low level amount of speculation)?

That's my concern. Regional Variant has so much potential it's almost impossible to predict what they'll do. At most we can list what Pokemon could get a regional variant... but outside of that there's not much else we can really say that wouldn't be speculation.

I think we've pretty much reached the end of discussions for now. HOWEVER that doesn't mean we need to close the thread. As long as we don't get into heated arguments like with you-know-what it can be left open for anyone to post how they feel about the game and announcements made. And that way if a new announcement is made the thread will be open for us to start commenting on it.

If we need some friendly conversation starters, how about we talk about perceived plans. Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making? Are there any older Pokemon you're glad are back, do you plan on putting them on your team? For the new Pokemon are there any moves you hope it gets (I don't think that's too far into speculation)? What mechanic revealed so far are you looking forward too and what are your hopes for it (once again, low level amount of speculation)?
I’m really excited that maractus, quilfish, and noctowl made the SwSh roster. They are always key members of any playthrough for me. Knowing that they’re confirmed really allows me to sleep easily at night.

In all honesty though, I’m just happy to see that the pseudo legendaries possibly are all going to be included and that they’re branching out of gen 1 for regional variants. Mostly pumped to see the new Pokémon and forms. Because of “that which will not be named” I’m not really anticipating doing much competitive battling this gen, so I’m not too worried about whether or not the various maxings are balanced or interesting as I likely won’t be investing too much time into them. My only hope on that end is that maybe they’ll throw my boi flygon a bone and give him a gigantimax. Doubtful though.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making?
My in-game team right now is looking like it'll be Grookey, Yamper, Duraludon, Obstagoon, Gardevoir/Impidimp and Gyarados if possible (no super late game team additions please).

For the new Pokemon are there any moves you hope it gets (I don't think that's too far into speculation)?
Not a new Pokemon, but if Gallade doesn't finally get Sacred Sword I'm going sicko mode.

What mechanic revealed so far are you looking forward too and what are your hopes for it (once again, low level amount of speculation)?
Dynamaxing is fucking sick, praise SWSH speculatory meta for enlightening me. Idk if this counts as a new mechanic, but giving regional forms new evolutions on top of the normal form change is the perfect expansion on the concept and gives more freedom in buffing old mons that have really really fallen behind or were always kinda crap to where a type/ability change can't cut it.

I'm going to make a team with similar guidelines as in my recent playthroughs - only reptiles and dinosaurs that I've never used before to beat the story (there can be exceptions, but they must be special circumstances). And since it's the first game in this generation, I'll add the "BW condition", meaning they also have to be introduced in the latest generation.

Which means Sobble, Corviknight, Drednaw and Duraludon for now.

Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making? Are there any older Pokemon you're glad are back, do you plan on putting them on your team?

lucario tyranitar vespiquen rhydon froslass mawile gardevoir and steenee
Aura Guardian, Godzilla (OMG KAIJU BATTLES FINALLY I'M SO HYYYYYYYYYPED), Hive Queen, Big "Aim For the Horn" Driller, Yuki Onna, Futakuchi Onna, Guardian Angel, and Little Miss Mangosteen all made it in and I'm extremely happy about it (while also lamenting the exclusion of the thunder god and marine goddess... their fabulous hair will be missed).

My in-game teams tend toward following the fundamental principles of teambuilding as closely as possible while incorporating a bit of a "Fun" factor, hence why I'm starting with and keeping Sobble for now (but will most likely ditch later depending on evolutions, stats, etc.), which is to say they need to complement each other offensively and defensively and be able to pull their own weight. To this end, I'm also considering adding Tsareena, but I want to see Eldegoss' stats and movepool first. Corviknight exists; but, in all honesty, I'm not a fan of its design... like, at all: Big PASS for me.

The only exception to these guidelines is Tyranitar: I will include him in my teams if I find out he's regional regardless of who I have because he's just that awesome and if anybody has anything to say about it, FIGHT ME. The same goes for Primarina but she's not included.

Um... That being said, none of the Galar Pokémon nor Galar forms interest me in the slightest; so, I will wait until more 'mons are revealed. I swear, if Venusaur doesn't make it in, I might just riot...

What mechanic revealed so far are you looking forward too and what are your hopes for it (once again, low level amount of speculation)?
Kaiju Battles
KAIJU BATTLES
KAIJU BATTLES
GODZILLA WILL OWN GHIDORA AND DESTOROYAH AND BARAGON AND MANDA!!
hydreigon charizard rhydon and gyarados

Last edited:

While I'm still not convinced to get any of the gen8 games at all for the time being (while I agree with everybody the games look pretty solid, my rants about *PokeVoldemort* in this thread are still there to be seen and I am still pissed as hell about that), let's assume I will.

Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making?
The feature I appreciated most in Gen7 were Regional variants: assuming such variants/evolutions meet my aesthetic standards, like Raticate (lol I know I'm weird), Muk and Marowak did, my team will be comprised of a lot of those. For now, both Weezing and the Zigzagoon line have made the cut. As an added bonus, I basically have every line ready in previous games with Apricorn balls, Egg moves, and dope ivs (just look at the link in signature to get a grasp, and there are a lot of people with extensive collections as mine, or even much larger ones) ready to be transferred ingame for re-runs. I am also trying to go in the game as blind as possible (still haven't taken a single look at the cakemon or the steel dragon, for instance) and I have other rules: "all new mons in playthroughs" and "more evolutions the marrier". Also, any dog/wolf like mon is an added bonus.
I would say, by prediction: Grookey, 2 regional variants cool Pokemon with at least 3 evolutions combined, 3 new pokemon that can evolve, probably a flier (if Korviknight has a line it is a good candidate), any Fire new cool mon, and a last one to round out types.
Are there any older Pokemon you're glad are back, do you plan on putting them on your team?
Tyranitar is my all-time favorite, so seeing its most graphically advanced version will be neat. Deino line, Machop line, Ralts line... since I haven't nitpicked all the trailers (again, as blind as possible rule) I can't really elaborate on that.
On the other side, since there's *PokeVoldemort*, they could have made me the courtesy of not seeing Wingull for a year or two.
For the new Pokemon are there any moves you hope it gets (I don't think that's too far into speculation)?
Galar Weezing: retaining Pain Split as Egg Moves.
Galar Zigzagoon: keep Extremespeed, access to Sucker Punch (almost guaranteed)
Grookey: Wood Hammer
The only hope I have on this topic is that Dinamax is scrapped and trashed as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
That's not really a speculation, it's shown using it in one of the trailers (one of the main reasons for which I think it'll end up a bulky phisical mon)
Also they made trailer mistakes/deceptions before. Remember the infamous trailer/screenshot (forgot which) of Diancie using Power Gem? Guess what move Diancie can't learn in Gen VI (thankfully corrected in Gen VII) even though it fits its aesthetic. It's speculated, if it's not a mistake, it probably used Nature Power instead (inside of a cave it changes into Power Gem), but one wonders if the reason they did that so it could use Power Gem why they just didn't give the gem-based Pokemon the gem-based move. And with it getting Power Gem in Gen VII it looks even more like an oversight on the people who were programming its moves in (BTW, GF, Amaura family is still waiting to get Power Gem too).

If restricted to just the mons revealed so far, I'd say Sobble, Corviknight, Drednaw, galarian weezing, duraldon, and... Mimikyu, I guess.

Of those, only Corviknight is relatively set in stone. Sobble is likely if the leak is 100% true (and hoping for water/ghost), but that could change depending on actual types and final designs. The others are unlikely; I love drednaw's gigantamax but feel meh about its base form, and while I like duraldon's general design well enough it looks really bleh when firing off moves. Galarian Weezing is growing on me and I like its typing but want to see what other variants there are. Mimikyu could make it but I generally prioritize new mons or old mons with new forms.

For the final composition, I'd ideally like
2 or more ghosts
A galarian form and/or evolution
A gigantimax of a new mon
Some interesting new type combo.
Dragon, fairy, steel, poison, fighting, water combos of types

Consider that Gigantimax forms will only be available from mons captured in raids, so unless you are able to actually do raids during the main story, this is something that you're not going to be able to work out.
They've shown raids in the wild area and stated that you'll get npcs to help if you don't have 3 other players to help, and they've only shown gigantamax of new mons so far, so I'm fairly confident at least a few should be available during the main story. Could be wrong, of course, but I doubt they'd gate a new mechanic like that.

They've shown raids in the wild area and stated that you'll get npcs to help if you don't have 3 other players to help, and they've only shown gigantamax of new mons so far, so I'm fairly confident at least a few should be available during the main story. Could be wrong, of course, but I doubt they'd gate a new mechanic like that.
There is the chance, but they treehouse showcase of the raid was with level 40+ pokemon, so I find pretty unlikely that Gigamax raids will be available that easily

Wouldn't mind being wrong, though. So far we only really know of Alcremie having a Gigamax, so who knows...

Grookey and Obstagoon are definite must haves for me rn. Alcremie is also super my aesthetic so they can come along too.

Older pokemon, well there is bewear which is like my soul pokemon (pokesona?) so if i find one in it goes. Heliolisk and Dusknoir might be good to have too, hmm....

As far as moves go, Dreadnaw wants Psychic Fangs. Something to make fighting types think twice before moving in. Obstagoon id like to get Perish Song because damn that is some goooooood flavor.

Mechanic wise i loooooove the thought of raids in pokemon battling a suped up kaijumon with some buds is my defenition of a good time. Dynamaxing in general seems like the compromise of megad and z move philosophies, so im super excited to get my hands on them

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thinking about it I probably should have answered my own questions:

Of all the Pokemon revealed so far, what team do you think about making
Aside from my Starter (which in this case will be Scorbunny), I usually let my team naturally form as I play. If I have a priority it goes team balance first and new Pokemon second. That said if a new Pokemon isn't performing in a way I like I have no problem dropping it.

Are there any older Pokemon you're glad are back, do you plan on putting them on your team?
Look, I know how overrated it is, but Charizard is my favorite so I'll always be glad to see it in. :P

Gonna skip the Gen I Pokemon as I would be surprised if there is one who isn't in (Galarian form aside).

Glad to see Togepi family in, Togepi is my mom's favorite Pokemon and always wanted to try out a Togekiss (Serene Grace + Air Slash sounds like some evil fun). How can you not love the Wooper family? Wobbuffet I actually have fond memories of in my Sapphire run. Sneasel family is cool.

Always liked the Ralts family. How can you not love the Wailmer family? While it's generally average, always like Flygon and if it didn't get a Mega it deserves a Gigantamax.

I like Charizard, so any surprise I also like Lucario?

Maractus I used in my White run and the Minccino family in my White 2 run, so glad both got in. How can you not love the Vanillite family? Actually I'm generally glad to see any Gen V Pokemon, but if I got to pick some more specific ones add Joltic family, Golett family, and Rufflet family.

Pancham family, Inkay family, Hawlucha, and Noibat family.

Just like the Gen I Pokemon, I would be interested to see if they leave out any non-Legendary Gen VII Pokemon.

I would like to see Eldegoss get Head Charge, would be funny if you know why.

Considering its descriptions, Wooloo should get Rollout. Or Rapid Spin. Or both.

Give Yamper all the ball moves: Electro Ball, Energy Ball, Gyro Ball, Ice Ball, Mist Ball, Pollen Puff, Shadow Ball, & Weather Ball... okay, it'll probably only get Electro Ball, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball, but I think my point is made.

Okay, what I want from Impidimp isn't attacking moves, in fact I do want it to have any. It should be a complete and utter troll, only having the most annoying status inflicting moves but in the end completely harmless. Embargo, Parting Shot, Quash, Snatch, Taunt, Torment, Spite, Disable, Encore, Follow Me, Lovely Kiss, Mean Look, Minimize/Double Team, Scary Face, Smokescreen, Yawn, Heal Block, Telekinesis, etc..

If you're going to make Duraludon look like a robot dinosaur can you at least give it Shift Gear?

I think Morpeko having a split personality disorder qualifies it getting Topsy-Turvy.

Galarian Zigzagoon family should get Head Smash, so they can rock out and headbang at the same time.

Galarian Weezing should be given Aromatic Mist just for the lulz. Maybe also Sweet Kiss. Though on a serious note I think it could qualify for Purify.

While I said before I don't think it'll have much affect on gameplay, I am still curious to see how much detail they give the Poke Jobs mechanic. This is a chance to really expand the Pokemon world by mentioning all sorts of ways companies and institutions use Pokemon in way we obviously can't in real life. What sort of businesses and research can be done and accomplished with elemental creatures as one's fingertips?

While I said before I don't think it'll have much affect on gameplay, I am still curious to see how much detail they give the Poke Jobs mechanic. This is a chance to really expand the Pokemon world by mentioning all sorts of ways companies and institutions use Pokemon in way we obviously can't in real life. What sort of businesses and research can be done and accomplished with elemental creatures as one's fingertips?
I'm with you on this one.

Worst-case scenario: It'll be about as intuitive as Isle Aphun, wherein you simply send your Pokémon off to an "adventure", and they just bring stuff back within 12-24 hours. Honestly, if a feature is being implemented, it may as well be fleshed out as much as possible (not so much as to detract from the focus of the game, of course); but, this is just me speaking out of my mind.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Consider that Gigantimax forms will only be available from mons captured in raids, so unless you are able to actually do raids during the main story, this is something that you're not going to be able to work out.
I'm pretty sure raids and Gigantamax formes will be available during the main story. It's a major new feature, so it will be placed front and center for players to enjoy early on, instead of tucked away so late in the game that impatient players have already given up. XY had Mega Evolutions before the third Gym (and you got your first Mega Stone halfway to the second Gym, even disregarding the event Torchic that gave it to you from the start), SM showed its Alolan forms halfway through the tutorial area and had Z-moves displayed prominently right around the first trial. I think players will be railroaded right into a Gigantamax encounter before the game is one quarter through the story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)