Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Someone remind me (mostly because I don't want to watch this again LOL): Did the Pokemon Conference last month imply that Pokemon Home had something more to it besides "its bank that can trade"?
Not really, all that was said is that it has one way transfer from Let's Go, Bank, Go, and two ways to Sw/Sh, and can allow to trade directly from there.

sister

Banned deucer.
I'm OK with them cutting Pokemon in THEORY. It could provide more room for new Pokemon, as well as updating new Pokemon with newer models, animations and just in general making a more dynamic game.

That said, that isn't what they're doing. The models are still the same from X/Y back in 2013 and the animations, while slightly better than SM, are still way weaker than anything they could be. It's pretty insulting to cut content and not use that freed time and processing power to fix what the rest of the game. At the end of the day the game still looks like its behind 2 or 3 generations, both graphically and game-play wise, full Pokedex or not. We're looking at a game that, despite being on the most powerful console it has ever been on, looks worse than most other games that came before it. AND you're telling me they are also cutting Pokemon? It's bullshit.

Oh dear, I wonder how gamefreak will react to this o_o
Even if this was possible though itll probably be available to hackable switches only which are hard to find now

I really want to see gamefreaks reaction to this, literally every tweet they put out today is being spammed by bring the national dex back and ignoring the content of the tweets, reddit is enraged and already have a huge rage thread.

Nobody is happy so i wonder what will they do

Someone remind me (mostly because I don't want to watch this again LOL): Did the Pokemon Conference last month imply that Pokemon Home had something more to it besides "its bank that can trade"?

Makes me wonder if they'll also add battling, could be a way so people can also play with everything too.
One of the explicitly given reasons for the change was battle balance, so I highly doubt it.

Yeah I'm not happy about the Pokemon Home news. This just seems like a terrible business decision on Gamefreak's part. Then again it's post-Unova Gamefreak we're talking about here.

Regardless, I thought I'd talk about the two new Pokemon we've gotten a look at:

Yamper: Corgis are cool, and this thing is adorable yet simplistic. I can imagine this thing being a fast but frail physical attacker. (Corgis are surprisingly athletic after all) I can image the evolution just being a bigger and cooler corgi.

Impidimp: A cool little thing with a neat typing. I'd actually like to see what it'll evolve into. As for stat arrangement, probably a speedy frail attacker. Can't tell for certain if it'll be a physical or special attacker yet though.

I hope I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm really glad to see them cut down on the pokemon in SW/SH (I've been asking for this for years). The wild area looked good, and an innovation pokemon has been lacking for generations. If it comes at a cost of the variety of pokemon in the game, that's ok with me. The whole UI also seemed really clean and nice. The whole treehouse segment really got me excited for the game.

Pokemon doesn't need 900 pokemon, with stats, sprites, overworld behavior, etc., and the developers seem to be saying it can't have that many without cutting corners elsewhere. I'd much rather a pokemon game that feels cohesive, where the pokemon fit the setting, rather than being packed in wherever possible.

I'm also interested on where they take the new pokemon home. SW/SH was the only 'outlet' announced, so it'd be weird to have pokemon deadend in Home. If they just announced a battle arena for pokemon from Home, it would put a lot of the concerns to rest.

I hope I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm really glad to see them cut down on the pokemon in SW/SH (I've been asking for this for years). The wild area looked good, and an innovation pokemon has been lacking for generations. If it comes at a cost of the variety of pokemon in the game, that's ok with me. The whole UI also seemed really clean and nice. The whole treehouse segment really got me excited for the game.

Pokemon doesn't need 900 pokemon, with stats, sprites, overworld behavior, etc., and the developers seem to be saying it can't have that many without cutting corners elsewhere. I'd much rather a pokemon game that feels cohesive, where the pokemon fit the setting, rather than being packed in wherever possible.

I'm also interested on where they take the new pokemon home. SW/SH was the only 'outlet' announced, so it'd be weird to have pokemon deadend in Home. If they just announced a battle arena for pokemon from Home, it would put a lot of the concerns to rest.
Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver and Pokémon Black 2/White 2 are the more fan-made games of the franchise by far, with the greatest Post-Game the brand has ever come with, the latter with difficulty selector, lots of rewards and content. 493 Pokémon and 649. Are you telling me that this time, on the Nintendo Switch, with an online payment system both for the bank and for the online itself, on the most powerful machine Game Freak has put their hands on, recycling all the Pokémon models from 3DS XY, are you telling me that we CAN'T have 950 Pokémon with at least half of them being catchable in game, which doesn't affect the overworld or anything? That we have to accept this crap? After 2 consecutive generations of them touching their balls?

Sure.

This may be a sign that SwSh will be getting updates via DLC that'll add the rest of the Pokemon to the game. It's a lot more feasible than on the handheld games now that we're on the Switch. Then again, it's just as equally unlikely to happen.

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver and Pokémon Black 2/White 2 are the more fan-made games of the franchise by far, with the greatest Post-Game the brand has ever come with, the latter with difficulty selector, lots of rewards and content. 493 Pokémon and 649. Are you telling me that this time, on the Nintendo Switch, with an online payment system both for the bank and for the online itself, on the most powerful machine Game Freak has put their hands on, recycling all the Pokémon models from 3DS XY, are you telling me that we CAN'T have 950 Pokémon with at least half of them being catchable in game, which doesn't affect the overworld or anything? That we have to accept this crap? After 2 consecutive generations of them touching their balls?

Sure.
Lets assume SW/SH has somewhere around 400 available pokemon in game. Putting it about even with OR/AS, and more than sun/moon.

Pokemon bank already exists as somewhere you can manage your pokemon, so you aren't missing out on that. The only thing you are unable to do in SW/SH, is transfer pokemon to the game, once you are already finished with it, to complete any postgame content or battle friends.

Let's be real. The postgame content was pretty awful in Sun/Moon, X/Y, and even Black/White. I'm not particularly optimistic there will be much post game content in SW/SH either. The only real limitation is battling pokemon online, which could easily be implemented in pokemon home.

I don't really need new pokemon models every 2 years, but I have wanted explorable overworld. I have, particularly, wanted a coherent setting, which was really lacking in Black/White and X/Y. If the changes to the pokedex make that more possible, then I am happy.

I still want to think there is a misinterpretation here - either the limitation only applies before the post-game, or maybe the rest of the Dex is patched later on (they mention an increase in expressiveness, so maybe not all new animations are done). Frankly, I'd be ok if it meant extra focus on new mons (as long as the old ones become available at some point), but we need to see... there are still five months to go.

Maybe they are going to see the reaction and give a better explanation.

About the two new Pokémon... well, the imp is nothing special to me so far, and the dog... well, it's a dog, so I hate it.

Lets assume SW/SH has somewhere around 400 available pokemon in game. Putting it about even with OR/AS, and more than sun/moon.

Pokemon bank already exists as somewhere you can manage your pokemon, so you aren't missing out on that. The only thing you are unable to do in SW/SH, is transfer pokemon to the game, once you are already finished with it, to complete any postgame content or battle friends.

Let's be real. The postgame content was pretty awful in Sun/Moon, X/Y, and even Black/White. I'm not particularly optimistic there will be much post game content in SW/SH either. The only real limitation is battling pokemon online, which could easily be implemented in pokemon home.

I don't really need new pokemon models every 2 years, but I have wanted explorable overworld. I have, particularly, wanted a coherent setting, which was really lacking in Black/White and X/Y. If the changes to the pokedex make that more possible, then I am happy.
BW has a compelling story, probably the only one the franchise have had and BW2, as I stated earlier, were Fan-Games at heart, so were HeartGold and SoulSilver, with lots of content and Post-Game options (and not only Post-Game, things like the PokéWood, the Battle Frontier from Platinum or the Pokémon World Tournament were great).

They are giving us nothing. You have to pay for the online, and you have to pay for the bank. Yet, the games don't allow you to transfer your Pokémon, which by itself defies everything Pokémon is at its core since its beginnings. Not even Ruby and Sapphire did that, because you could transfer the mons you were missing from Colosseum, XD, FR or LG.

The old models are the same, so they can add all of them again, no problems. The Nintendo Switch has enough power to run a game with 880 Pokémon, and you don't have to sacrifice anything. Again, make 300 of those Pokémon catchable and the rest transferable. Then make a great Post-Game and demostrate what the Switch (and you as a prestigious company) are capable of.

They are sacrificing everything to gave us nothing, because nothing we've seen yet justifies this.

with stats, sprites, overworld behavior, etc., and the developers seem to be saying it can't have that many without cutting corners elsewhere. I'd much rather a pokemon game that feels cohesive, where the pokemon fit the setting, rather than being packed in wherever possible.
They already have perfectly good stats and sprites from USUM, and they need 0 overworld behavior since they won't be appearing in the overworld. In-battle animations, Refresh animations, and co. are also perfectly portable (and already futureproofed) from USUM. This should all take next to 0 development time. It might as well be comparable to how much longer it takes to back up a 2 GB SD card versus a 1 GB SD card (almost zero difference if you can already perform the backup process).

it'd be weird to have pokemon deadend in Home.
This is exactly what will happen and (one of) the reasons why there's so much complaining.

> The reason is not to make players wait and to bring the game before finishing all the mons

> More details soon.

It literally says that Pokémon are not 100% ready yet, whatever that means.
Every time I hear a BS reason from Masuda I just assume it's a PR cover-up for "if we make this decision then our business can make more money" (by forcing you to buy the inevitable Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield that's gonna have an expanded regional dex).

I still want to think there is a misinterpretation here - either the limitation only applies before the post-game, or maybe the rest of the Dex is patched later on. Frankly, I'd be ok if it meant extra focus on new mons (as long as the old ones become available at some point), but we need to see... there are still five months to go.
First one is almost impossible. Sw/Sh will already lack Home support for the first few months of its release (just like XY and SM did), so postgame/not-postgame wouldn't apply.

Second one is "technically" possible in the same way that Blacephalon and co. "technically" could have been patched back into SM. Let's be honest, the "old ones become available at some point" is guaranteed to mean "go buy Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield a couple of years from now with its expanded regional dex".

Impidimp: A cool little thing with a neat typing. I'd actually like to see what it'll evolve into. As for stat arrangement, probably a speedy frail attacker. Can't tell for certain if it'll be a physical or special attacker yet though.
Judging by the ears, curved fangs and the marks on it's face, I'm pretty sure it will evolve to something inspired into eastern demons. It's a cool concept that I aways wished for a Sableye evolution.

Youre saying a multibillion dollar company and the biggest franchise of all time cant afford to update textures of imported models without cutting corners? This isnt some indie company. We dont have to excuse them for this shit

And Its not even like theyre using any new models or animations so they dont even have that going for them.

https://preview.redd.it/h6rjx8x0or331.gif?format=mp4&s=2944e07760e86d52542f01c2cd167e98cb2809ba

Goodbye my friends
I'm leaving you today
My quest is hard
But I must be on my way
Now don't ask why
Goodbye my friends

25 years. 20 playing Pokémon. Hundreds and hundreds of Pokémon that have been transferred since III Gen to the ongoing game. Like my Swampert from Pokémon Ruby, where I used to have a nick which was a fusion between mine and an old friend of mine. Now I look at te OT of those Pokémon and can relate every single one to a part of my life. It brings back to my mind situations that defined not only my childhood but my life as a player. And to see some people making fun of the ones who are upset is something I could've never foreseen. At least it's not what Pokémon represents to me and what I've shared with others in my life, as hardcore fans of this franchise.

I could very well put this and any conversation will be over

CREATE CLOUD-BASED SOFTWARE FOR STORING ALL 800+ POKEMON
ANNOUNCE SOFTWARE CONFIRMING THAT YOU'RE COMMITTED TO MAINTAINING THE RELATIONSHIPS PEOPLE HAVE DEVELOPED WITH THEIR UNIQUE POKEMON TEAMS
BRING MORE CONNECTIONS TO SOFTWARE THAN EVER BEFORE BY CONNECTING TO LET'S GO SPIN-OFFS AND POKEMON GO
ANNOUNCE THAT THIS SOFTWARE DOESN'T CONNECT TO THE NEW GAMES IF THEY AREN'T IN THE DEX

WOW WHAT A SMART DECISION THEY ARE SO WISE

but I think it is worse, because it is a direct attack to everything Pokémon and it's community -at least the part of the community I find myself identified with, the one i've grown with- stand for. I'm pretty sure Game Freak will change this. They have to.

Hot take but Im fine with this news. It's like Smash. At some point you have to cut down on the roster and streamline things for various purposes, like balance. And if the Smash fanbase can handle it, we can too.

Hot take but Im fine with this news. It's like Smash. At some point you have to cut down on the roster and streamline things for various purposes, like balance. And if the Smash fanbase can handle it, we can too.
That's why Smash Bros. Ultimate, being a Switch game, has every fighter on the franchise as a playable character and ppl is happy with it. Those are the things you have to look for and mimic.

Yup, competitive purposes.

"Reasons about Junici Masuda not bringing back all the Pokémon are on the 25:40 mark of the video".

> The reason is not to make players wait and to bring the game before finishing all the mons

> More details soon.

It literally says that Pokémon are not 100% ready yet, whatever that means.
There's nothing cryptic here. They want to have the game out in time for the holidays and would rather do that with fewer Pokemon than spend a few more months trying to get everything. There's going to be a new/cheaper Switch out at some point this year and they'll be counting on people getting it to play Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)