Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Alright, this is a false correlation lol. The decline of Go began long before Gen 2 was conceptualized, precipitated by stagnation of gym battles, burnout, and frustration at the lack of legendaries and Ditto. Gen 2 came all too late, although now the game's chugging along and recuperating decently with Gen 4 almost complete.
Pretty strange, as far as I remember its player count stagnated before Legendary Raid and then again after the Legendary Raid getting exploited by spoofers, then it dropped like flies when Gen2 kicked in, with people saying that they don't have more patience to waste time on catching more pokémon, some saying "oh look! more spoofing soon then!", others conspiring that "expanding the pokedex to go catch more pokémon is their plot to milk more money on the cash shop", while others were like "real pokémon is only the one with the original 150". But hey! Maybe here in Europe is different from other continents (as most people in EU don't see videogames as media content, so they are pretty much reliant on the nostalgia).

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
It seems like your play style is somewhat like mine, in that I rarely spend time in postgame facilities or with competitive battling. I mainly play the Pokémon games to experience the trainer's journey, from the humble beginnings with only the starter to the Hall of Fame with a diverse and carefully assembled team. The way in between is the fun part, and there are endless possibilities for what your team will be like and what you do with it. Exploring these possibilities, pitting different creatures against the many in-game challenges, that's the fun part of Pokémon for me.

But occasionally, I want to try some other Pokémon in my playthroughs than the ones the games place in my path. For instance, I love Ice-types, but decent Ice-types are rarely available until after the sixth Gym or so, so to use them in-game I trade over some bred ones from another game. And sometimes I look over the National Dex and think "Wouldn't it be fun to use this Pokémon in my next playthrough?" Currently, I'm going through Ultra Moon using Pokémon such as Tangela, Yamask and Combee, neither of which are native to Gen VII. But they are compatible with the games, so I could easily get them through online trade.

As I recently said in another thread, some of the Pokémon I use have movesets that haven't been expanded on for many years (Klink and Vanillite being major offenders), and it's evident the game scripters haven't given them much of a thought since their movesets and stats were laid out in Gen V. But they have models and animations, and their technical implementation is flawless. With only a minimum of care from the designers, these Pokémon still work perfectly in the games, and I can use them without problems.

Sword and Shield will not let me have that same freedom in my casual play. If, say, Heracross isn't in the Galar Dex, I will never be able take it with me on my Galar adventure, no matter how many Heracross I transfer over to Home. I can't pick and choose freely from my previous-gen favourites anymore, but have to cross-check with the Galar Dex to see if I can play with it in glorious Switch graphics. That feeling of restriction will place a bitter taste in my mouth, even though I may fully be able to assemble many fun teams using only Galar Dex Pokémon. But it's exceedingly unlikely that the Galar Dex will have all the Pokémon I ever want to use in-game again. That unlimited pick-and-choose freedom I had in USUM will be no more. Sure, there are plenty of Pokémon I probably never would have used for in-game runs even if I could, but knowing that my options are restricted will be a negative experience in itself. Halving the number of available Pokémon will take away from the in-game variety we used to have.
Conversely, if the wild area is as free as I hope it is, you’re no longer limited to ice-type until endgame- you could wander to an area that has them or wait until snow.

I personally don’t go thru the effort to bring over pre-selected Pokémon (I’ll do a standard run or 2 and a nuzlocke, maybe more, but nowhere close to exhausting variety), and then be done with it. Any further gameplay will usually be done on simulator at that point, and if I get 100 hours out of the game I’ll consider it a pretty great purchase.

Conversely, if the wild area is as free as I hope it is, you’re no longer limited to ice-type until endgame- you could wander to an area that has them or wait until snow.
Could make you happy that purely judging by the showcase at the direct... you had access to both icecreams and Snover lines! They were happily in the grass, and the infamous level 26 Machoke spawned just close to them toghether with some Machops, suggesting that those Snovers are likely low level as well.

....too bad Snover would evolve three thousands level later... :(

Since we're having a very civil discussion (even though most of us are pissed as hell, myself included) let's not fall in the straw man argument fallacy. The problem is different (see my bottom line).

It's as simple as this:
It's not about completing the entire national dex (which achieves a grand trophy of nothing ingame), it's about having all options available.

Let's say I just want to use my special Safari Ball HA Cross Chopping Psyduck I mentioned a few pages ago. Everybody on the other side of the spectrum may value adherence to in-game integrity (aka exclusive use of regional mons, no trading, no Pokemon before their coded encounter route, etc...), that's fine. Hell, I am replaying UM right now, and I am doing a trashmon run. I have valued integrity so much on this run that I will not transfer any trashmon until I will have caught one ingame (I'm talking Spinarak and Luvdisc level trashmon here), so I get the point.

One thing I want to stress: do you see total dex availability detract from the possibility of doing Regional exclusive runs? Conversely, do you have the impression that balancing VCG influences your Chikorita breeding sessions? No? Yeah, me neither. The problem is that there is no apparent trade-off at this crossroad. GF is just pissing a part of its player base without doing anything at all to boon the (supposed) majority of players' experience. There is no connection here.

It would just take more time to cater to everybody. Would you wait until, say, May 2020, to have all options on the table? I would, but they are looking at the cash-grab in the holidays.

And it's not like the gaming industry has not reacted badly to poor release choices, corporate greed, (when unjustified and game-jeopardizing) microtransactions and unfinished products. Things have changed a little. Star Wars Battlefront 2, Fallout 76, Anthem, Destiny 2 (its first year), Assassins' Creed and its reboot, FIFA loot box scandal were all massive issues in the industry that have led to games tanking or drastically changing some of their decisions.

Bottom line: when you decrease some facets of your product's quality without enhancing others, you have a problem.

EDIT;
Could make you happy that purely judging by the showcase at the direct... you had access to both icecreams and Snover lines! They were happily in the grass, and the infamous level 26 Machoke spawned just close to them toghether with some Machops, suggesting that those Snovers are likely low level as well.

....too bad Snover would evolve three thousands level later... :(
Snover is incredibly fun to use ingame, trust me. Especially when you start being at level 32-35, it becomes a challenge but Snover is extremely funny ingame. So many weaknesses for a Type combination that is not expected throughout a game, it feels like the game counters you without even caring :)

Impidimp looks pretty cool. Dark/Fairy is unique and new.

That's all my positives so far; there's not really anything appealing about this game right now

Coming from the person who allowed mega rayquaza, primal groudon and xerneas to exist lmao

We really shouldnt have allowed this to happen, every game since gen 6 Masuda was testing the waters for how much he can remove from the games while still having the game sell well.

And now hes taking it too far after he realised even the no effort lets go can sell well despite removing everything

I dont blame them though, why would they put effort when people are gonna buy it anyways? Lets go had a ton of backlash as well and it still sold well.

Im 99% sure despite all the vocal outrage these games are gonna sell well too. And its gonna set a terrible predecent from now on and we cant do anything abt it

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Heh heh... Yeah, I think after some time away I feel like I can comment here again without creating this into a hate thread (Still don't care about gotta catch em all though)
So uhh... If Game Freak was like "you know what, let's never have the idea of Pokemon not in the main dex, and we don't care how much the fans want to bash us for it" how would you react? See, taking it in a simpler tone than the hate rally I made 7 pages ago. Oh wait, did Mesuda say that'd pokemon not in said regions dex being able to come to that gen forever? No idea why, but I feel like he did.

Is this true? Because I kinda don't remember hearing this yesterday.
Good eye indeed, I'm checking the news again and has source of the Dexit but no source of the Mega-Evolution and Z-Move removal.

Probably the writter is suggesting from Masuda saying that Dynamax was the new equivalent of Megas and Z-moves, but taking suggestions as confirmations is considered as yellow press journalism (which is illegal).

https://gonintendo.com/stories/3374...ld-will-not-include-mega-evolutions-or-z-move
View attachment 180153

My, my, my... It seems that Masuda is going serious when he told about the balance thing.
It looks like the only provided source is yesterday's Treehouse segment and nothing else? I know there was a bit about "Dynamax replaces Mega Evos and Z-Moves", but apparently that was a mistranslation and something more accurate would've been "Dynamax is the successor to Mega Evos and Z-Moves"? Still could be true but more ambiguous. Would someone be able to confirm this?

It may just be me, but I'm genuinely curious about the thought of the fans of the pokemon franchise as a whole. Between reddit and smogon, I'd say there are roughly 500-1000 (being generous) users that post/comment about this, with the other 15.999 million (SM sold 16M) people being 'silent' on the matter. We may not be the entirety of the most enfranchised players, but everyone here is definitely a deep fan of pokemon. With twitter useres we may reach a few thousand.

But we aren't representative of the pokemon fanbase as a whole. not by a fraction of a percent! I truly wish we could poll people and see how the world feels about this. Do most people care? Are they outraged? Pleased? Do most people even know the poor business practices going on? We can discuss, speculate, and debate on the good/bad of this all we want, but even if every single vocal pokemon fan didn't buy the game, it wouldn't hurt sales to the point where changes would have to be made.

While I personally don't mind the removal of half the dex as it doesn't affect my playstyle negatively (and it may positively if it gets rid of lando, hahaha!!!), but I can not condone the poor business practices and the removal of trust from the enfranchised fanbase. Realistically, there is no reason that every pokemon can not fit on a cartridge for the switch, or at worst in a downloadable 'patch' everyone would need. If truly necessary, they could prevent non-regional pokemon from the Amie and only allow them in battles using the animations and models already available. By not doing so, or at least heavily implying that they will not be doing so, they are losing the trust of their biggest fans.

It is our responsibility to act IF and WHEN the time is right. While small in numbers, we can be large in voice. By being vocal and having news publishers share our beliefs, we can cause the attitude towards our franchise to turn sour. Realistically we likely can't vote with our wallets, at least not yet, but we can get the world to vote the way we do, and that is how we can help fix any problems.

Of course, this may all be a misunderstanding. I'm an eternal optimist, so I hope that it is, and Masuda is just really bad at speaking to the public, but we need to be patient and act accordingly.

Also, I want to be able to become champion like in SuMo, except you can have real people challenge you, and your friends as an elite four. That would be amazing.

It looks like the only provided source is yesterday's Treehouse segment and nothing else? I know there was a bit about "Dynamax replaces Mega Evos and Z-Moves", but apparently that was a mistranslation and something more accurate would've been "Dynamax is the successor to Mega Evos and Z-Moves"? Still could be true but more ambiguous. Would someone be able to confirm this?
If someone is able to post the wording I can work on it, but I'm at work atm so I can't watch a video or anything.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
It may just be me, but I'm genuinely curious about the thought of the fans of the pokemon franchise as a whole. Between reddit and smogon, I'd say there are roughly 500-1000 (being generous) users that post/comment about this, with the other 15.999 million (SM sold 16M) people being 'silent' on the matter. We may not be the entirety of the most enfranchised players, but everyone here is definitely a deep fan of pokemon. With twitter useres we may reach a few thousand.

But we aren't representative of the pokemon fanbase as a whole. not by a fraction of a percent! I truly wish we could poll people and see how the world feels about this. Do most people care? Are they outraged? Pleased? Do most people even know the poor business practices going on? We can discuss, speculate, and debate on the good/bad of this all we want, but even if every single vocal pokemon fan didn't buy the game, it wouldn't hurt sales to the point where changes would have to be made.

While I personally don't mind the removal of half the dex as it doesn't affect my playstyle negatively (and it may positively if it gets rid of lando, hahaha!!!), but I can not condone the poor business practices and the removal of trust from the enfranchised fanbase. Realistically, there is no reason that every pokemon can not fit on a cartridge for the switch, or at worst in a downloadable 'patch' everyone would need. If truly necessary, they could prevent non-regional pokemon from the Amie and only allow them in battles using the animations and models already available. By not doing so, or at least heavily implying that they will not be doing so, they are losing the trust of their biggest fans.

It is our responsibility to act IF and WHEN the time is right. While small in numbers, we can be large in voice. By being vocal and having news publishers share our beliefs, we can cause the attitude towards our franchise to turn sour. Realistically we likely can't vote with our wallets, at least not yet, but we can get the world to vote the way we do, and that is how we can help fix any problems.

Of course, this may all be a misunderstanding. I'm an eternal optimist, so I hope that it is, and Masuda is just really bad at speaking to the public, but we need to be patient and act accordingly.

Also, I want to be able to become champion like in SuMo, except you can have real people challenge you, and your friends as an elite four. That would be amazing.
There is quite the outrage on Twitter:

iirc, the Japanese is "No Compatibility", in reference to these games.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
No dude. Lol. It's trending in the same way "BringBackTheNationalDex" is in the US. Japanese are just as outraged.

There is quite the outrage on Twitter:
View attachment 180159
iirc, the Japanese is "No Compatibility", in reference to these games.
Except "Bring Back National Dex" is quite explicit in what they want. 互換切れ, while it does mean "no more compatibility", doesn't have the same meaning. A lot of it is just users saying "I see that 'no more compatibility' trending, but is it real?" or some variation of "Seems like there are people outraged about it, but it was only a matter of time anyway", or just "After all there are over 800 Pokemon, can't blame them"

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader

If its worth anything, the Treehouse Gameplay on the Nintendo channel is at Twenty Seven thousand dislikes. The ammount of people unhappy by this is not small at all

Shifting the discussion a bit, what do you all think of the graphics? Since one of the reasons this is even happening is because of time, you'd assume their graphics would have a lot of time put into them

I don't thing they are particularly bad but there is room for improvement. The Male Protag has Levitate.

And apparently so does his bag

I was thinking here, does anyone know which Pokémon have been absent from TCG since Ultra Prism? Since they're taking away some Pokémon, maybe they will also not want people to play with them on TCG as well, so maybe we can predict the Regional Dex of Galar with that info.

If I wanted to make people forget about one thing, I wouldn't like to have the risk of that thing being a champion somewhere.

Asek

Banned deucer.
nintendo hasnt gone far enough, should have completely disabled transferring pokemon to overwork tedious shit literally nobody likes ala IV's. we've been running off the same core mechanics for how pokemon can differ and be raised since gen 3. think another gen 2 --> gen 3 transition could be great for any major changes nintendo wants to do and realistically theres an insane amount of bloat in pokemon as it stands. nearly 1k pokemon, mega evolution, z moves, the last 2 gens have been especially egregious in adding new battling mechanics that are overwhelming in the competitive scene. narrowing the scope can also help place focus on whats new in these games, which gives me some mild bw vibes (favourite core series games over here...). although the line between whats being cut and what isnt may ultimately be arbitrary odds are there will be a remake / sequel that is in the pipeline somewhere that reintroduces concept of national dex like in gen 3 (i envision a sword / shield software update to enable compatability with this when it occurs). i think the reaction to this shows a huge sense of entitlement on behalf of some members of the pokemon community that has been frankly embarassing to witness.

I never get on these forums. But, I had to do it for this news.

I grew up playing Pokemon with a lot of "couch co-op", as in, passing the controller back and forth while playing with a cartridge in Stadium, or on the Game Boy Player accessory for the Gamecube, and on Colosseum and XD. Pokemon is fun on your own, but for me it's always been a lot more fun when you have someone else there to laugh at you when you lose, someone who can take over when you need to take a break, that sort of dynamic.

So I really value the whole idea of playing Pokemon ON THE TELEVISION. It's the logical conclusion of the "my pokemans, let me show you them" impulse. This is also a lot of the driving fire and fuel that lets me enjoy breeding, collecting, and raising the mons. I want to share the experience with my friends.

When I bought my Switch over a year ago, I always had it in my mind: Eventually, Pokemon will come to the Switch. Eventually I will be able to play pokemon and quest and battle on the television! In pretty new graphics! With friends! Something I haven't been able to experience for quite a while. Pokemon and chill! It's the best!

I am doing my best not to jump to any conclusions based on a quick statement Masuda made. Maybe things will change! Maybe minds will change. Who knows?

But.

I will be so, severely heartbroken if there is any permanent limitation on the kinds of pokemon who can be transferred into SwSh.

I've been feeling let down lately already with the lack of difficulty and postgame. I guess it's not surprising, with how hard Colosseum, XD, and Emerald could be at times. But that's forgiveable, and I've always been optimistic about, maybe next time it will be better...

Especially now! Their big entrance on the Switch! The glorious transition to home console! Breath of the Wild, Smash Ultimate! Everything's getting ambitious again, right? No reason not to be optimistic.

Such mixed feelings!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)