Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

nintendo hasnt gone far enough, should have completely disabled transferring pokemon to overwork tedious shit literally nobody likes ala IV's. we've been running off the same core mechanics for how pokemon can differ and be raised since gen 3. think another gen 2 --> gen 3 transition could be great for any major changes nintendo wants to do and realistically theres an insane amount of bloat in pokemon as it stands. nearly 1k pokemon, mega evolution, z moves, the last 2 gens have been especially egregious in adding new battling mechanics that are overwhelming in the competitive scene. narrowing the scope can also help place focus on whats new in these games, which gives me some mild bw vibes (favourite core series games over here...). although the line between whats being cut and what isnt may ultimately be arbitrary odds are there will be a remake / sequel that is in the pipeline somewhere that reintroduces concept of national dex like in gen 3 (i envision a sword / shield software update to enable compatability with this when it occurs). i think the reaction to this shows a huge sense of entitlement on behalf of some members of the pokemon community that has been frankly embarassing to witness.
Game Freak cannot complain about the content bloat when they are adding yet another gimmicky power-up mechanic that they clearly retroactively designed to fit the Go-style raid battles they wanted to emulate.

As for the potentiality of a sequel / patch restoring the cut content: I really wish people would stop posting about this as some sort of gotcha counter-argument to the angry ppl, as if it was in any way a guarantee. There is no reason not to take Masuda at his word when he says the restricted dex will be a core part of all mainline games going forward. It's not like Gamefreak has cared about fan backlash before.

Last edited:
Honestly, sometimes, I wonder if pVp Pokemon is a mistake. I sometimes want to elaborate on that feeling but it keeps coming back every time people talk about balance and the woes of competitive play. I also feel there is a tipping point on having more and more bloat in the series. There WILL be some limit they'll hit, I think, especially if Pokemon has a pVp scene + transferability between gens. But I agree, the expectation of a sequel or a patch is akin to gambling and isn't a solution to developers making questionable decisions. I don't see how Game Freak, given its history of poor decisions and aloofness to the fanbase, deserves benefit of doubt.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but they’ve apparently since confirmed in an interview that LESS THAN 200 non-Galar Pokémon exist in the game.
So that’s over 75% of all Pokémon now unusable. Such a pathetically low amount!! Also that they have specifically chosen “fan favourites”.

https://www.newsweek.com/pokemon-sword-shield-junichi-masuda-home-1443677
"We decided to keep wanking off Kanto and fuck over every other region."

I bet that's what's going to happen. This news just gets worse and worse.

The way it's worded seems ambiguous, there's the fact that as of now we've already seen 170 old Pokemon in trailers, etc, (per Serebii) and I don't think Game Freak would release a number this early.

But I could be wrong.

I think they mean so far, not total.
I want to believe that, but the way it’s said seems like that is the official word on how many we are looking at. Smallest regional Dex is 151 & largest is 454, so 200 past gen Pokémon + however many new Galar Pokémon there are seems like it will likely be accurate. It says;

“Of the more than 800 Pokémon currently in existence, fewer than 200 non-Galar Pokémon have been confirmed to be available in Sword and Shield.”

The way it's worded seems ambiguous, there's the fact that as of now we've already seen 170 old Pokemon in trailers, etc, (per Serebii) and I don't think Game Freak would release a number this early.

But I could be wrong.
I really hope it’s wrong! However I’ve not seen anywhere have 200 confirmed prior Pokémon so it seems odd for that to be specifically stated in a damage control interview.

A big part of Pokemon for me has always been the pokemon themselves. Every generation I am excited to see all the new pokemon added onto the ever expanding roster of pokemon. Seeing the number of pokemon available in Sword and Shield being cut down is extremely disheartening. I fear for the future of the pokemon that are cut out. I have never really transferred my pokemon up generations as I prefer to keep them on the game I got them on. Still even though I'll probably never use any of the pokemon not on the Galar dex due to not wanting to pay for switch online, it just feels like a slap to the face being told that you can't use some pokemon in SwiSh, and not making it clear if they will ever come back. I was really hyped for SwiSh until I heard about this. I can live with DLC adding them back in latter. If only rotating rosters of pokemon available in games now I will be able to get used to it, however it would give pokemon a tainted feeling for me. If they are going to cut out some pokemon completely forever, I just don't know but it would forever taint all future generations for me.

I like the wide variety there is for Pokemon. Manaphy and Cherrim, two of my favorites are very unlikely to be available the former due to being a mythical and the latter due to not being available in a non-national dex since the Sinnoh games and being rather forgotten. And many less popular pokemon I just generally like such as Megaium, Ariados, Magcargo and Shellos are being threatened.

As for the competitive battling aspect I don't really care if the ever increasing amount of pokemon makes the metagame stale. I know all of the battling mechanics, but next to nothing when it comes to applying them all together in the metagame. The most I've played competitively was in gen 6 when I played in OU with a gimmicky lv 1 Nosepass and Monotype with a normal type team on Showdown. Locally I usually dominate everyone due to being the only one with level 90 pokemon in a no restrictions battle at a causal pokemon gathering. I remember some of my recent battles being more evenly matched in gen 7, however I battled rather rarely with only 1 other person. More recently I've been doing a few random battles here and there on simulator and with some of the weirder other metagames out there. I find the chaos and variation in random battles fun so I am all in for more pokemon being added into the games.

As for the catch them all aspect. I have never really been into completing the pokedex. The first time I've ever completed a pokedex was in Moon, as the shiny charm for just the regional pokemon seemed worth it. While I play I tend to try to catch every pokemon I haven't gotten in the game yet, even though I can't be bothered to breed, trade and evolve pokemon to complete the pokedex. Still I feel like people are less upset about no longer being able to complete the national dex and more upset about no longer being able to use their favorites if they get excluded from the game.

And now some non removing part of the pokedex thoughts.
Wooloo: The body looks a little plain to me. Just the ball shape and those bare legs just make me feel like something is missing.
Gossifleur: For some reason Gossifleur reminds me of Flamberge from Kirby. I guess it has to do with the similar looking hair/petal styles. Still is it just me or does it's eyes look like it's staring creepily into your soul in it's official artwork?
Corviknight: Corviknight is awesome. I was amazed by it the second I saw it in the trailers. I am getting one on my team when I get the game.
Zacian: Never has a legendary be so majestic and so hilarious at the same time. I love how Zacian is literally carrying a sword. Now, if they can get the other half of fetch down.
Wild Areas: The open world looks amazing! From experiencing it from a mod it is very fun to explore the world, looking for new areas and pokemon. The mad dashes made when I thought I saw a pokemon I didn't have yet, especially when they were flying overhead and constantly checking my pokedex to see if I had the pokemon or not, fun times. GameFreak has the power to carefully craft the wild areas throughout the region and make them full of diverse pokemon and make them distinct and memorable from each other. This is the new feature I am probably the most excited for in SwiSh, please don't mess this up GameFreak.
Still Ive heard that you can wander out to find game breakingly powerful pokemon in these areas early in the game however not be able to catch them. I wonder what they will put in place to prevent someone from saving then constantly save scumming until they manage to catch a game breakingly powerful pokemon. So far the only thing I can think of is limiting them behind raid battles, but even then there is no one stopping someone from finding their 3 friends who already beat the game from assisting them in capturing a powerful pokemon early in the game.

"Fewer than 200 have been confirmed to appear" is maddeningly ambiguous, could mean "the number confirmed is less than 200" or "the number is confirmed to be less than 200".

The 200 number in that article is not Masuda's words but something written by the author. Take it as pure fluff, not anything indicative of final numbers.
The final numbers can be anything between 1 and 199. I don't see what's so hard interpreting <200 Pokemon. If it was "fewer than hundreds" then maybe that can be stretched around, but 200 seems to be a hard set number. We have to take that journalist's word for it unless we have contradictory sources. Anything else is just grasping for straws.

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet but they’ve apparently since confirmed in an interview that LESS THAN 200 non-Galar Pokémon exist in the game.
So that’s over 75% of all Pokémon now unusable. Such a pathetically low amount!! Also that they have specifically chosen “fan favourites”.

"Of the more than 800 Pokémon currently in existence, fewer than 200 non-Galar Pokémon have been confirmed to be available in Sword and Shield."

So far it's fewer than 200 that have been confirmed by SPP and anyone watching/collecting from the game footage and trailers, they are supposing (again) from assumptions of what they stated/confirmed so far instead of confirming it what gamefreak really stated. That yellow press for you.

Last edited:

This in particular seems like a cop-out:

With only a one-year gap between Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee and Sword and Shield, it seems that Game Freak didn't have the time or resources to fully animate every Pokémon for the Gen 8 titles.
considering that the team had two years between Sun/Moon and Let's Go and a head-start on the models. It seems pretty clear to me that Pokemon Go unexpectedly became a cash cow in the meantime and they overhauled things midway through to cater towards those players instead, which has left them scrambling.

Last edited:

Asek

Banned deucer.
Game Freak cannot complain about the content bloat when they are adding yet another gimmicky power-up mechanic that they clearly retroactively designed to fit the Go-style raid battles they wanted to emulate.

As for the potentiality of a sequel / patch restoring the cut content: I really wish people would stop posting about this as some sort of gotcha counter-argument to the angry ppl, as if it was in any way a guarantee. There is no reason not to take Masuda at his word when he says the restricted dex will be a core part of all mainline games going forward. It's not like Gamefreak has cared about fan backlash before.
im complaining about it not gf, and if i heard correctly dynamax's availability for usage was restricted, including to i believe not being usable for competitive battling which was what my point was focused on so dont get ur first point

as for your second point correct its only a potential and if u guys dont get it well stiff shit. you guys have no real grounds to be angry aside from 'but muh favourites'. id much prefer a new game to focus on the new pokemon and cultivating a sense of region than have every pokemon be available all the time. can you people not see how bloated the pokedex is at this point? its getting beyond the point of rediculous. this is exactly the kind of thing thats needed from both an in-game and competitive standpoint.

as for this point about game freak not caring about its fans that you and others bring up like.... you see how other gaming communities are treated by devs? look at fifa / nba or blizzard with diablo ffs. i think game freak is pretty damn good to its fans lol.

Not bait, the magic of statistics
No, it's pretty dumb and simplistic. The announcement just happened yesterday and word will get out. Obviously a very small percentage of the people who went on to buy Sun and Moon were watching live E3 coverage of it like 6 months before it released. And of course knowing enough math to know the difference between decimals and percentages would help too.

I'm hoping that number crunching wasn't serious but I'm gonna balk if it was. There's way too many assumptions being made about the numbers to really make ridiculous extrapolations.

Second. Take a look at Pokémon GO. "Gotta Catch 'Em All!" combined with the nostalgic 151 pokémon on the pokédex on your phone was the hype that led near a half billion players to play it, but since Gen2 being introduced it started dying, as more pokémon start to get released and people start to lose patience to catch them all. Now imagine a patience of a console player to get all the ~1000 pokémon, here's a tip: none. Most people are typing out there #BringBackNationalDex but the hard truth is that none of them ever completed one since Gen4.
I'm sorry, am I a joke here? (admittedly, I'm currently abandoning GO as I need to focus on my thesis, but...)
Ahem... despite looking like people are abandoning them, Pokemon GO is in fact still one of the major top games in mobile. While the roster is indeed limited, that is because it is either region-locked (and in fact, when Niantic announced Mesprit and co is region-locked everyone loses their mind, not unsimilar to this situation, despite them being overall just dex-filler; Europeans said Mesprit is scrap, Uxie is outperformed by Deoxys-D and Cresselia in PvP, and Azelf is barely good while people already had M2 last year) or slowly included to keep player interests. Online community also grows, have you ever heard of The Silph Road? It's active GO community. People can brag their shinies, perfects, mostly completed dexes, etc. there, and of course, there are completionists.
Yes, people are always excited whenever new Pokemon or even just new shiny models are released. There are a lot of die-hard fans (TSR veterans mostly come from it), as well as newcomers greeted to this Poke-verse.

If what happened when the Mesprit and friends were released is any indication, I can pretty much say what you say is not true.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)