Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

We're not talking about the Pokédex here, however; we're talking about text used in promotional materials to sell people on the Pokémon and hence the game. Previous promotional materials for Megas and other new game-exclusive forms have talked in relatively vague but still generally accurate terms about stat boosts.

Things I’d like to know about the new gimmick, given what we know so far:

-Can you Gigantamax and Dynamax two different Pokémon during the same battle, or is the progression Base Form -> Dynamax Form -> Gigantamax Form (if applicable)?

-Do you have to Dynamax your Pokémon before Gigantamaxing it or can you go from the base form to the Gigantamax Form? If it’s the former, how long do you have to wait between forms?

-How long does Gigantamax last? Is the timer separate from the Dynamax turn limit? For example, if I Gigantamax my Pokémon on the last turn of it’s Dynamax Form, do I get an additional x number of turns in the Gigantamax Form?

-How does the HP Boost figure for Pokémon who have an absurdly high HP stat like Blissey? Is there a max HP number that a Pokémon can reach?

-How does the HP Boost figure for Shedninja, who has a hard coded HP stat of 1?

-How does Ditto Dynamax? Does it gain the ability todynamax/Gigantamax into transformed Pokémon?

-Can you Gigantamax and Dynamax two different Pokémon during the same battle, or is the progression Base Form -> Dynamax Form -> Gigantamax Form (if applicable)?

-Do you have to Dynamax your Pokémon before Gigantamaxing it or can you go from the base form to the Gigantamax Form? If it’s the former, how long do you have to wait between forms?

-How long does Gigantamax last? Is the timer separate from the Dynamax turn limit? For example, if I Gigantamax my Pokémon on the last turn of it’s Dynamax Form, do I get an additional x number of turns in the Gigantamax Form?
It's quite easily implied by the wording about Gigantomax that they follow the same mechanic, as Gigantomax is a form of Dynamaxing only available to members of certain species that are caught in Max Raids.
The footage shows a trainer directly Gigantomaxing his Pokemon as well.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/gameplay/gigantamax/

The key wording is
"The majority will keep their usual appearance when they Dynamax.", aka Gigantomax is a extra result of Dynamaxing specific pokemon.

-How does the HP Boost figure for Shedninja, who has a hard coded HP stat of 1?
If they are wise enough they'll have just excluded Shedinja's family from Galar pokedex to avoid this issue :P

It's quite easily implied by the wording about Gigantomax that they follow the same mechanic, as Gigantomax is a form of Dynamaxing only available to members of certain species that are caught in Max Raids.
The footage shows a trainer directly Gigantomaxing his Pokemon as well.

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-gb/gameplay/gigantamax/

The key wording is
"The majority will keep their usual appearance when they Dynamax.", aka Gigantomax is a extra result of Dynamaxing specific pokemon.
I did not know this. It’s been implied that we’d have to Dynamax to get to Gigantamax in the past and I guess it just stuck.

-A better question then might be: If I have a Poke that’s able to Gigantamax, do I have to Gigantamax it or can I choose to Dynamax it? I have a feeling Gigantamaxing probably has more perks than Dynamaxing, but I can imagine scenarios where I might want to just take advantage of the HP boost and not have to use moves that have added effects like setting/removing hazards/weather/terrain.

I did not know this. It’s been implied that we’d have to Dynamax to get to Gigantamax in the past and I guess it just stuck.

-A better question then might be: If I have a Poke that’s able to Gigantamax, do I have to Gigantamax it or can I choose to Dynamax it? I have a feeling Gigantamaxing probably has more perks than Dynamaxing, but I can imagine scenarios where I might want to just take advantage of the HP boost and not have to use moves that have added effects like setting/removing hazards/weather/terrain.
Looking at the footage, it seems Gigantomax is "Dynamax+", aka all the effects of Dynamax still apply, on top of the Gigamax (the Gmaxed pokemon has a specific signature move on top of the Dynamax ones, for example Corviknight doesn't get "Max Flying" but gets his signature move)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The gold band is the "badge" accessory we saw in the E3 demo with Nessa.
Except the player is wearing this gold band, it would become impossible/hard to wear as more badges are added to it. Also it's missing a bulge that the bulge in the image has. While its a neat idea, having something physically on the trainer which the Badges attach to so we can see them on the overworld model, they way they're doing it here isn't it.

Mega was probably a good attempt, if only they didn't come up with the brilliant idea of giving things like Gengar, Metagross, Salamence, etc, with Megas that are also not bad at all (rip Garchomp and Flygon).
In retrospect I think one way they could have balancing things out is by using BSTs to determine how much additional BST a Pokemon got: 399 & below is +175, between 400 & 449 is +150, 450 & 475 is +125, 476 & 599 is +100, 600 & 669 is +75, and 670 & above is +50.

I talked about this a bit earlier in the thread, but I think one aspect of Dynamax being overlooked is that the lack of any item restriction means that your choice can come into play during battling rather than teambuilding.
Watch as it's revealed when a Pokemon Dynamax's/Gigantamax's the item they're holding is disabled until the Pokemon changes back to normal.

The ability to decide on the fly what to Dynamax is something we really didn't have before.
That was one advantage I originally thought was a major factor, since with Mega and Z-Moves you'd otherwise have to have multiple Pokemon sacrifice their item slot. But then again, considering you'd probably design a team around the Max/G-Max Moves there may not be as much freedom in competitive. You'd also have to be careful what Max Moves the Pokemon will have at its disposal, you don't want two Max Moves that'll summon Weather or Terrain thus cancel each other out. There's a lot of factors to consider.

Pidgeot currently has a base Speed of 101 and travels at Mach 2 when hunting, which is twice the speed of sound or 767 mph times 2.
If 1534 mph are represented by a base Speed of 101 in the Pokémon universe, then, proportionally, a base Speed of 20 would represent about 304 mph. I'd call that high speed.
Escavalier is not too slow for its Pokédex entries. Pokémon in general are just ridiculously fast creatures far beyond any animal in nature.
Alternatively, we could also say a Pokemon's "Speed" is actually referencing their reaction time rather then how fast they can go. Pidgeot is a master of flight so knows how to dodge, weave, and maneuver around. Escavalier on the other hand probably first needs to build up it's speed and when it starts moving probably isn't able to turn easily.
Things I’d like to know about the new gimmick, given what we know so far:

1. Can you Gigantamax and Dynamax two different Pokémon during the same battle, or is the progression Base Form -> Dynamax Form -> Gigantamax Form (if applicable)?

2. Do you have to Dynamax your Pokémon before Gigantamaxing it or can you go from the base form to the Gigantamax Form? If it’s the former, how long do you have to wait between forms?

3. How long does Gigantamax last? Is the timer separate from the Dynamax turn limit? For example, if I Gigantamax my Pokémon on the last turn of it’s Dynamax Form, do I get an additional x number of turns in the Gigantamax Form?

4. How does the HP Boost figure for Pokémon who have an absurdly high HP stat like Blissey? Is there a max HP number that a Pokémon can reach?

5. How does the HP Boost figure for Shedninja, who has a hard coded HP stat of 1?

6. How does Ditto Dynamax? Does it gain the ability todynamax/Gigantamax into transformed Pokémon?
From how I understand things:

1. If you Gigantamax that takes up your Dynamax.

2. A Pokemon can only either Gigantamax or Dynamax. Pokemon who can Gigantamax cannot Dynamax.

3. Gigantamax lasts the same 3 turns as Dynamax.

4. No reason to have a limit, which would mean Dynamaxing would be very beneficial to highly defensive Pokemon to soak up damage. Of course, would you want to waste your Dynamax on doing that?

5. It would remain with 1 HP. The HP boost is a percentage increase thus not affecting it's 1 HP.

6. If it's a Limber Ditto than Transform will turn into the Max Guard move, thus unable to do anything. Would probably be wise to wait for it to Transform first.
Of course the question is what would happen if an Imposter Ditto is sent out against a Pokemon that's already Dyanamaxed/Gigantamaxed? Either Ditto will turn to the base form or, more likely, Imposter will fail (like if it's against a Pokemon using Illusion or is behind a Substitute).

I've seen very interesting points being raised here, like what can happen if Ditto and Shedinja D-Max.

I'll raise you this though. We can safely confirm that there will be a fisherman with 6 Karps. (Even BW1 didn't dare to defy that rule)
What are the odds that GF will actually give us said fisherman with a D-Max Magikarp?

In all seriousness, the cooler thing about D-Max is that you can just wing it instead of losing in team preview.
I wonder how big of a wrench G-Max will chuck at it tho.

I'll raise you this though. We can safely confirm that there will be a fisherman with 6 Karps. (Even BW1 didn't dare to defy that rule)
What are the odds that GF will actually give us said fisherman with a D-Max Magikarp?
I think we can do one better. G-max Magikarp, where its status moves (read: Splash) turn into something ridiculous instead of Max Guard.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
The Shedinja would stay at 1 HP. If EV’s, IV’s, and anything else that can boost HP doesn’t change it, I doubt Dynamaxing will. Plus it’s only 50% HP, at worst they just round down back to 1

Poster of Duraludon using the steel move てっていこうせん

In the bottom right, there's a comment from Omori. A rough translation:
There were a lot of interesting names in this contest. Out of all the entries, てっていこうせん was a perfect name, since it can be interpreted in many ways, such as 徹底抗戦 (the initial Do-or-Die translation from Serebii) and 鉄蹄光線 (Horseshoe Beam). It was a unanimous decision from the Battle Team at Game Freak. Thank you to all the participants!

Has it been confirmed if the new Steel Move is a signature move or is going to be a move Tutor like Draco Meteor?
Nothing on that front so far.
While there's no confirmation, i'd consider the fact that Duralodon seems to have an animation specifically dedicated to it as a good sign that it's a signature move.

(Also, being a 140 BP potentially accurate move, I think it'd be far too powerful to be a tutor move)

While there's no confirmation, i'd consider the fact that Duralodon seems to have an animation specifically dedicated to it as a good sign that it's a signature move.

(Also, being a 140 BP potentially accurate move, I think it'd be far too powerful to be a tutor move)
But the recoil is high price. There's a lot of moves that are high base power and accurate that are widely distributed, like Head Smash and Draco Meteor.

Then what counts as "accurate"? 100%?
Yes, "accurate" is only 100% (or unmissable).

The only accurate moves past 90 BP that aren't signature moves are the 120 BP phisical moves with recoil iirc (Flare Blitz, Brave Bird), and in fact, lot of 90 BP moves are also inaccurate or with severe drawbacks/conditionals.

Yes, "accurate" is only 100% (or unmissable).

The only accurate moves past 90 BP that aren't signature moves are the 120 BP phisical moves with recoil iirc (Flare Blitz, Brave Bird), and in fact, lot of 90 BP moves are also inaccurate or with severe drawbacks/conditionals.
Close Combat and Selfdestruct/Explosion too. Still physical moves with some sort of recoil, but yeah.

Then there's Earthquake at 100 with no drawbacks, Moonblast at 95, and a fair few moves at 110-120 that are 100% accurate with no drawbacks in certain field conditions.

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are many moves 100 % accurate and stronger than 90 BP (even outside of Z and signatures)

Earthquake is the best example with a wide distribution, Boomburst is the strongest without drawbacks, Sludge Wave and Moonblast are common too (although only 95 BP).

And with drawbacks, you have at least a dozen of moves, including Explosion, Self-Destruct, Solar Beam, Sky Attack, Water Spout, Eruption, Focus Punch, Close Combat, Superpower, Outrage, Petal Dance...

Adding that steel Pokémon are probably the ones switching in the most, the drawback becomes even bigger. I really don't see any precedent to hint that it would be a signature move.

Fine, you make some valid points.

That said, I still think the fact it seems to have a dedicated animation and its huge similarity to another signature move (Mind Blown is basically identical but fire type) look like valid reasons for it to be a signature move, nontheless.

Unless I am really becoming blind and Duralodon was shown using the same animation for a different attack ...

Fine, you make some valid points.

That said, I still think the fact it seems to have a dedicated animation and its huge similarity to another signature move (Mind Blown is basically identical but fire type) look like valid reasons for it to be a signature move, nontheless.

Unless I am really becoming blind and Duralodon was shown using the same animation for a different attack ...
If I'm not mistaken, Duralodon does use the same attack animation for both Flash Cannon and Do-or-Die (going on all fours and opening its mouth like a cannon).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Steel Mind Blown: I don't think it would be a Signature (this feels like it'll only target one Pokemon while Mind Blown targeted all adjacent Pokemon, hence it being Signature among other things) but it probably won't be a TM/Tutor either. Sort of feels like a new Fire-type move they sneakily introduced in Gen VII called Burn Out. Super power Fire-type move with a unique effect, and due to this it's only given to a select batch of Fire-types. Imagine the same will be here, Steel Mind Blown will only be given to a handful of Steel-types, probably ones which have the Special Attack stat to make use of it (Metagross, Jirachi, Dialga, Aegislash, Celesteela, Magearna, Magnemite family, Lucario, Heatran, Genesect, Solgaleo).

I've been thinking about something yesterday. Since they specifically say that you can Gigantamax Pokémon you get from Raids, I'd say soft reset is kinda gone. Then how would things work? Well, I'd take Fire Emblem Heroes as an example. What we call IVs there is actually Nature in Pokémon. The heroes grow differently but at the top level, all heroes of the same "species" with the same IVs end up with the same final stats but in the middle, they have different ones. What if they do that? We don't have different IVs anymore, only different growth rates?

You're thinking too far.

I am afraid aside maybe being IV locked to 31x6 (somewhat irrelevant with Hypertrain anyway), I am afraid GF response would be that you're stuck with whatever nature you get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)