Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm pretty late to say this, but is it just me, or does Yamper look like it should be a Normal/Electric Type? It looks way more like a Normal Type than Heliolisk.

There's not much I can say about Alcreamie's looks other than it's adorable, but its name sounds like alchemy. I'm not sure if that implies anything other than its Hidden Ability possibly being Power of Alchemy, but it does explain how a wild Pokemon just happens to make whipped cream.

I didn't like Duraludon at first because most of its body feels like an awkward metal pillar. When I saw it got on all fours to attack with Exhaustive Beam, I started liking it more... for about a second... Its tail becomes another awkward metal pillar. (The blast on the other hand, was a really awesome explosion.) It started growing on me after talk about how it's a Mechagodzilla and when I realized the red bit looks like the end of a cannon, sort of like Genesect's.

Gigantamaxing is weird, but there are two things I like about it so far. Cosmetically, Corviknight's and Dreadnaw's changes are subtle enough that it doesn't feel that different from Dynamaxing to me. I can't say the some about Alcremie, but I have high hopes about it being exception to the rule. The other thing is Giagantamax Corviknight is 45 feet 11 inches. (14.2 or 14.3 meters) You'd think they wouldn't want any Pokemon naturally bigger than the giant form gimmick, but Wailord is 47 feet 7 inches (14.5 meters) and in the Galar Dex. I guess they feared the complaints about not being able to Dynamax Wailord.

The newest trailer shows Dynamax Charizard shoot fire out of its shoulder. Imagine if Blastoise still "hydropumps" out of its mouth...

Also, the red clouds above Dynamax Charizard's head follow its movement. It really looks like Game Freak created separate models for big versions of Pokémon with red clouds above their heads.

Is it just me or does this newest trailer heavily imply that Charizard, Gengar and Pikachu are getting the Gigantamax special treatment? Who could have seen that coming.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
The newest trailer shows Dynamax Charizard shoot fire out of its shoulder. Imagine if Blastoise still "hydropumps" out of its mouth...

Also, the red clouds above Dynamax Charizard's head follow its movement. It really looks like Game Freak created separate models for big versions of Pokémon with red clouds above their heads.

Is it just me or does this newest trailer heavily imply that Charizard, Gengar and Pikachu are getting the Gigantamax special treatment? Who could have seen that coming.
A new trailer? It's not on the Pokemon Youtube channel. What does it show off? Anything new?

I think leaks ( which so far was right on Hop and Gigantamaxing ) stated that charizard and Pikachu get exclusive forms, so your probably right. Probably just fan service if anything. But seriously, why don't the Johto starters get anything? Kanto starters already got Megas and have appeared in THREE regional pokedexes ( 4 for Charizard ), and the Johto starters only appeared in ONE! Gold and Silver recieved critical acclaim and sold really well, so there's no excuse!
From friends of mine who did the demo and tried this specifically, you CAN switch out a Dynamaxed Pokemon, but when you switch out Dynamax is reverted to normal form. If you send that mon out again it's just normal, and you've used up your Dynamax. Zowayix viol and bass Pikachu315111

EDIT: also, yay to Ferro, Pex, Mawile, and Lapras being confirmed as in-game!
From a Singles standpoint, Dynamax seems disgustingly overpowered based on the replays from SwSh speculation, since you get three z-moves essentially. But in GF's perspective, Dynamax seems balanced since you have to worry about protect, as well as the switching penalty isn't nearly as critical since switching isn't nearly as prevalent.

'Least we know that the Galar region will have some new, exciting Water and Grass types with interesting niches...that we'll drop once we try them out because nothing beats a balanced, 2 mon core of old that can Hazard Stack, Haze, work as a status platform, counter almost any Water/Fire Pokemon there is, never ever die and fit into almost any team with very little cost.

The only problem will be getting a Regenerator Mareanie before Home becomes a thing S/M corsola chaining PTSD-inducing flashbacks.

*Sees Mawile is allowed in Sw/Sh*
Me: Oh cool maybe she can be my Mega during my in-game run...oh wait, no Megas so she is a trashmon again that nobody will ever use...

If GF are insistent on limiting the dex size maybe they should leave pokemon such as Mawile for future games when Megas are possible again? Without her Mega she is literally a waste of space for everyone except for her carecore fans.

Anyway, one thing I like about the Gigantamaxing pokemon I have seen so far is how their G-Max moves cater to the singles game meta instead of just doubles. Stealth rock and hazard removing are not a big thing in doubles, but that is what they have focused on when advertising the new feature. I always wonder how much attention they pay to Smogon when designing their next games? Its like they know that giving specific pokemon high power moves that set rocks or remove opponent hazards is exactly the kind of thing to get this community excited, and possibly make them OU viable?

Makes me wonder if this is maybe why they introduced "Madam Celadon" and will have a similar character in Sword & Shield.
Tecnically, madame Celadon was introduced because the game has no abilities to begin with so you'd have been 100% left on randomness for Natures otherwise.
That said, I'd definitely not dislike a return of the Sync NPC as Syncronize itself is both obnoxious to use and only 50% chance. Plus, we do not know what version of Horde/SoS/whatever we'll get this time for shiny/IV/HA hunting.

From a Singles standpoint, Dynamax seems disgustingly overpowered based on the replays from SwSh speculation, since you get three z-moves essentially. But in GF's perspective, Dynamax seems balanced since you have to worry about protect, as well as the switching penalty isn't nearly as critical since switching isn't nearly as prevalent.
I would disagree for one main point: while it's obviously very strong, it's not like you can't tech for countermeasures in singles. You might end up wanting to run a bit more Protect / Phazing / stuff like Fake Out or even Red Card in singles in order to counteract to the enemy Dynamax, and at same time prepared to yours.

Also, remember Max moves aren't anywhere as strong as Z- ones. The BP of Max moves seemed to cap at 140 (150 for very high BP base attacks), so it's just slightly more than a pokemon spamming Flare Blitz for example.

That said, once more remember that technically singles 6v6 do not exist as far as GameFreaks balance aims go, and smogon is purely a fan-made competitive scene. Their only balance aim is for VGC and (to some degrees) battle spot singles (which is 3v3)

Also another thought we don't know the question to: how would Dynamax/Gigantamax work in Double Battles?
Considering the cakemon Gigantomax move specifically talks of healing his side of the field, it's pretty obvious that Dynamax in double battles works exactly in same way it shown in the Max Raid footage: you Dyna/Giga max one pokemon, the other remains normal.
The mechanic is both intended to be used in singles and doubles alike, and in fact, that makes sense considering it'd be pretty stupid to have VGC (which again, is Doubles only) not feature the generational gimmick to begin with.

Anyway, one thing I like about the Gigantamaxing pokemon I have seen so far is how their G-Max moves cater to the singles game meta instead of just doubles.
If anything the opposite.
You were never able to relistically use entry hazard in doubles because there's both less pokemon in total, there's less swapping, and the opportunity cost of using a turn in a potentially unimpactful move was too big.
A move that at same time does damage AND sets an hazard however is much more potent for doubles, as you don't pay any opportunity cost in doing so.

Me: Oh cool maybe she can be my Mega during my in-game run...oh wait, no Megas so she is a trashmon again that nobody will ever use...

If GF are insistent on limiting the dex size maybe they should leave pokemon such as Mawile for future games when Megas are possible again? Without her Mega she is literally a waste of space for everyone except for her carecore fans.
Yes and not. Assuming a regional dex larger than 50 pokemon, you have to include "trashmons" as well as 600 BST monsters.
Plus, I'd point that the inclusion of pokemon in the game isn't necessarly aimed at the competitive scene but rather at the in-game gameplay. Even in the best scenario, you'll rarely see more than 30-40 competitive pokemon, with usually at best 10 taking over 80% presence in VGC.
And should megas ever come back, they can very well include Mawile again, it's not like it being present in Sw/Sh magically excludes it from being present in Pokemon Gun and Nuke.

'Least we know that the Galar region will have some new, exciting Water and Grass types with interesting niches...that we'll drop once we try them out because nothing beats a balanced, 2 mon core of old that can Hazard Stack, Haze, work as a status platform, counter almost any Water/Fire Pokemon there is, never ever die and fit into almost any team with very little cost.
*laughs in Giga-Corviknight*

....Damn you Pikachu315111 i've started to take same habit of you of chainquoting.....

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I don't mind FerroPex being in. Pex in particular is great to style on some of the Max Fighting spam going around!

I am however noticing a shortage of Fire types. In fact, aside from Scorbunny, none of our current Fire types go past Gen 1! Hopefully more trailers resolve that soon...

So I finally saw a new animation...

And of course it's on Charizard.

Instead of the classic "reel head back, then launch special attack" it reels its head back, launches its attack and then its head goes to the side due to the recoil.

Pretty cool and smooth, especially for post-XY GF standards.

Still... It had to be on zard. KANTOOOOOOO

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So I finally saw a new animation...

And of course it's on Charizard.

Instead of the classic "reel head back, then launch special attack" it reels its head back, launches its attack and then its head goes to the side due to the recoil.

Pretty cool and smooth, especially for post-XY GF standards.

Still... It had to be on zard. KANTOOOOOOO
If you're referring to the trailer posted earlier, I'm very sorry but unfortunately comparing it frame by frame it looks like Dynamaxed Charizard has the same "ranged attack" animation it's had since XY. You're just making the mistake since the attack isn't originating from Charizard's mouth.

It's coming from slightly above the right-facing shoulder.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Hey, so y'know how a lot of people have been speculating about Duraludon being the pseudo-legendary?

Well, take a look at this:
Screenshot 2019-07-12 at 10.50.07 AM.png

In this snippet of the trailer, he does bad damage to a Level 15 Sobble with what appears to be resisted Metal Claw. This implies you'll be able to obtain him fairly early on, which in turn either suggests he's not fully evolved or that he's a one-off. On the bright side, at least he'll be readily available for my in-game team!

If you're referring to the trailer posted earlier, I'm very sorry but unfortunately comparing it frame by frame it looks like Dynamaxed Charizard has the same "ranged attack" animation it's had since XY. You're just making the mistake since the attack isn't originating from Charizard's mouth.

It's coming from slightly above the right-facing shoulder.
Well, all hope is lost then.

To be fair, regular Mawile isn't THAT bad on an in-game run. Its typing pretty much makes up for its weak bst, especially since most trainers don't run coverage moves. Still a shame that its Mega Evolution won't be in the game though.

Outside of returning Pokemon,the new trailer seems like more of the same otherwise.

Personally I'm really excited to try Dynamax. I find the idea of something like Jigglypuff or Pikachu growing to Kaiju size hilarious, and as it's limited to select areas it (hopefully) won't be a game breaker as much as megas and z moves were. I can already think of several competetive uses for Dynamax:

1. Boosting sweepers

I bring in Gyarados on something it can force out and set up Dragon Dance. Then, I Dynamax. This turns Waterfall into Max Geyser, which summons Rain, Bounce into Max Airstream which also gives me a Speed boost and whatever coverage move I happen to be running (probably Earthquake). The HP boost makes Gyarados much harder to revenge kill, while the secondary effects of the moves make it ridiculously powerful.

2. Wallbreakers

I have 4 attacks Hydreigon and Dynamax. Now Dark Pulse turns into Max Darkness which also lowers the Special Defence of whatever it hits, letting it wallbreak more easily. I have a hunch that Dynamaxing also removes the previous drawbacks of the moves, so Hydreigon can spam Max Dracoforce (hoping that is what they end up calling the max Dragon move) for 3 turns without worry.

3. Setting up Weather / Terrain

If you have something like Charizard or Ludicolo, it can use Max Flare or Max Geyser respectively, to both have a strong STAB nuke and trigger their abilities. Charizard can also use Max Airstream based on Air Slash too boost its Speed, letting it sweep late game. Ludicolo can use Max Overgrowth based on Giga Drain or Energy Ball to set up Grassy Terrain, giving both its STABs a huge boost. And of course the weather / terrain don't end when your Pokemon shrinks back to normal, potentially helping the rest of your team.

4. VGC

In a standard 6 on 6 single battle, you would need at least 6 turns to defeat your opponent. In VGC, you could wipe out all your opponent's Pokemon in just 2 turns. Therefore 3 turns is all you need to wreck havoc. Really, any powerful Pokemon could make use of it, paired up with something like Meowstic-M with Imprison and Protect, you could quickly end your opponent's team. I predict Dynamax will be huge in VGC, if it's allowed.

. I have a hunch that Dynamaxing also removes the previous drawbacks of the moves, so Hydreigon can spam Max Dracoforce (hoping that is what they end up calling the max Dragon move) for 3 turns without worry.
Double Edge / Wild Charge turned into their Max moves in the playable demo did lose their recoil, so you're correct on this.

In a standard 6 on 6 single battle, you would need at least 6 turns to defeat your opponent. In VGC, you could wipe out all your opponent's Pokemon in just 2 turns. Therefore 3 turns is all you need to wreck havoc. Really, any powerful Pokemon could make use of it, paired up with something like Meowstic-M with Imprison and Protect, you could quickly end your opponent's team. I predict Dynamax will be huge in VGC, if it's allowed.
Allow me to introduce you to Fake Out and phazing moves / red card, plus the fact your opponent is also allowed to Dynamax.

it's *obviously* going to be the key mechanic of VGC (remember, they introduced the cakemon's G-move mentioning how it heals its side of the field), but it offers plenty of counterplay than just "oh whoever Dynas first dies"

Allow me to introduce you to Fake Out and phazing moves / red card, plus the fact your opponent is also allowed to Dynamax.

it's *obviously* going to be the key mechanic of VGC (remember, they introduced the cakemon's G-move mentioning how it heals its side of the field), but it offers plenty of counterplay than just "oh whoever Dynas first dies"
I wasn't trying to imply that there is no counterplay to Dynamax. Almost every strategy has counterplay to it. I was simply stating that I believe Dynamax will be a massive factor (pun intended) in VGC, if it's legal.

Have there been any leaks / rumours about what the max Dragon and Ground moves do yet?

Hmm… I wonder if Dynamaxed Pokémon gain some kind of immunity to phazing techniques like Roar / Dragon Tail / Red Card, so that they can’t be simply swapped away and lose their D-Max turns. That would make them… harder to take on, actually.

Hmm… I wonder if Dynamaxed Pokémon gain some kind of immunity to phazing techniques like Roar / Dragon Tail / Red Card, so that they can’t be simply swapped away and lose their D-Max turns. That would make them… harder to take on, actually.
That's a good question. Dunno if moves would work, but Red Card might? That'd be interesting if the meta meant you usually ran one mon with Red Card to stop set-up Dynamax sweepers or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)