Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

2. Wallbreakers

I have 4 attacks Hydreigon and Dynamax. Now Dark Pulse turns into Max Darkness which also lowers the Special Defence of whatever it hits, letting it wallbreak more easily. I have a hunch that Dynamaxing also removes the previous drawbacks of the moves, so Hydreigon can spam Max Dracoforce (hoping that is what they end up calling the max Dragon move) for 3 turns without worry.
That is actually very dangerous, assuming that you indeed do not require an item to Dynamax.

Say, if Max Darkness off Dark Pulse had 140 BP, Specs Hydreigon could have a chance (albeit minimal, I admit) to 2HKO standard Chansey of all things with Max Darkness after rocks thanks to the Special Defense drop, and something that resists the move, like Clefable, would need very heavy investment to avoid the chance.

Who needs Z-Moves?

That's a good question. Dunno if moves would work, but Red Card might? That'd be interesting if the meta meant you usually ran one mon with Red Card to stop set-up Dynamax sweepers or something.
There's Ditto if Imposter works the same way as with Megas.

That is actually very dangerous, assuming that you indeed do not require an item to Dynamax.

Say, if Max Darkness off Dark Pulse had 140 BP, Specs Hydreigon could have a chance (albeit minimal, I admit) to 2HKO standard Chansey of all things with Max Darkness after rocks thanks to the Special Defense drop, and something that resists the move, like Clefable, would need very heavy investment to avoid the chance.

Who needs Z-Moves?

There's Ditto if Imposter works the same way as with Megas.
Dynamax seems to make gimmick moves or moves with low accuracy more viable. Consider Belch Hydreigon! No longer does it have to rely on a Z-Move or on Flash Cannon. Now, less fairy Pkm might be able to switch into its moves. Wonder if Dynamax would be enough to make it OU in gen 8. I think we can expect some Pkm from lower tiers to make a steady appearance in OU or in VGC, especially in a limited format.
Charizard, while no longer having access to a Mega Stone, could be actually a very threatening sweeper. With Solar Power and Overheat/Blast Burn in sun, not even Chansey could withstand its attacks easily.

Anyway, I wonder how moves such as Hidden Power will be affected. And I also wonder if moves powered by Dynamax will hurt the Pkm somewhat even if they used Protect! Only time will tell.

Anyway, I wonder how moves such as Hidden Power will be affected.
Purely about Hidden Power and similar moves, in gen 7 it would always transform in the Normal move.

Nature Power / Weather Ball had their Z-move adapt to their actual type, but this mechanic doesn't seem applicable to Dinamax as they get transformed *before* selecting them rather than on the fly.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm pretty late to say this, but is it just me, or does Yamper look like it should be a Normal/Electric Type? It looks way more like a Normal Type than Heliolisk.
Most non-Flying Normal duel-types were always a bit odd to me in the first place. Sometimes there feels like there's little reason for them to be Normal-type:

Jigglypuff family: Okay, it started out as Normal... but then again so did Clefairy and Snubbull family yet both are pure Fairy now. The only reason I can think they kept their Normal-type is because of their close association with sound-based moves with a lot of them being Normal-type.

Girafarig: Like, I could understand if duel-type were looked at being opposites like Normal/Fighting, Psychic/Dark, or Psychic/Fighting, but how are Normal and Psychic Types opposite of one another? Is the idea that it that it would have been a Normal-type but it's back end growing a head gave it a Psychic boost?

Mega Audino: Don't see what adding Fairy-type gave it aside more type match-ups.

Oranguru: Ghost-type immunity is nice though no reason outside that for not being a pure Psychic-type. Since Oranguru acts like a human trainer is it maybe an implication that humans would be Normal-types?

Drampa: Is it because it's old (kind of odd that Drampa wasn't given like a 3-stage evolution to accentuate it's an elder)? Otherwise feels like it would be either pure Dragon or Dragon/Flying.

Litleo family: Guessing because of the sound association again, otherwise no reason not to be pure Fire-type (maybe should have given it a signature Fire-type sound move). They should also really make an Ability that powers-up sound-based moves, maybe recycle the defunct Ability Cacophony.

Helioptile family: Don't see why it's not pure Electric or maybe Electric/Fire or Electric/Ground.

....Damn you Pikachu315111 i've started to take same habit of you of chainquoting.....

I am however noticing a shortage of Fire types. In fact, aside from Scorbunny, none of our current Fire types go past Gen 1! Hopefully more trailers resolve that soon...
Or it'll be Sinnoh all over again...

To be fair, regular Mawile isn't THAT bad on an in-game run. Its typing pretty much makes up for its weak bst, especially since most trainers don't run coverage moves. Still a shame that its Mega Evolution won't be in the game though.
Say, since Mega Evolutions have been taken out (for now), what are opinions about maybe giving Pokemon who had them some traits from their Mega Evolution (and I don't mean stat increases)?

Charizard: Can it please drop Flying and become part Dragon? Pretty please, GF. Dragon is no longer OP as it used to be, it would be alright.

Gengar: Would suggesting it getting Shadow Tag cause everyone to scream out in terror?

Kangaskhan: Okay, sure, the baby is no longer powered-up, but that doesn't mean it can't help mom. It just won't hit as hard (mainly since it won't have the Mega boosted stats).

Gyarados: I think Water/Dark is much more appropriate for it generally.

Ampharos: Eh why not, make it part Dragon-type and have Mold Breaker.

Heracross: Don't see why Mega got Skill Link in the first place, but it can make use of it so replace one of its Abilities like Swarm (Heracross doesn't seem like a swarming Pokemon anyway)

Houndoom: Why does it get Early Bird anyway? Replace it with Solar Power.

Gardevoir: I don't think it's doing much with its Hidden Ability Telepathy, you can replace that with Pixilate right?

Mawile: Swap Hidden Ability Sheer Force with Huge Power?

Banette: What Ability to replace with Prankster, Frisk maybe?

Absol: A tough one, Magic Bounce is wanted but Absol's Abilities fit it well. Maybe replace Pressure.

Garchomp: Has room for Sand Force, this time without the Speed drop!

Lucario: Yes, please replace one of Lucario's anti-flinch Abilities with Adaptability. Probably Steadfast.

Beedrill: Another with Adaptability, and another empty Ability space it can take.

Pidgeot: I never got Tangled Feet on the Pidgey family (or Chatot), replace it with No Guard.

Sceptile: Hey, if Charizard and Ampharos can keep their Dragon-type why not Sceptile?

Sableye: No, I don't care if Stall is its Signature Ability, Magic Bounce is better (guess it also won't miss Keen Eye, but at least that Ability has a use)!

Sharpedo: Strong Jaw has a free Ability space.

Camerupt: Swap Anger Point for Sheer Force?

Glalie: I think it would appreciate Refrigerate more than Inner Focus.

Salamence: Aerilate completes it's dream of becoming a master Flying-type.

Metagross: Eh, sure, it's claws may have returned to being feet but that doesn't mean it can't still use Tough Claws with them.

Groudon/Kyogre/Rayqauza: Desolate Land/Primordial Sea/Delta Stream as Hidden Ability? That is, if they're even in, though being Legendaries probably not.

Lopunny: Okay, yes, it's no longer semi-naked, but Fighting-type was a nice boon for it (granted, it was combined with a Attack and Speed boost but work with what you got); got those big ears it can punch with. Probably would also like Scrappy over Klutz.

Audino: Sure, give it Fairy-type. Another benefit of the base forms getting Type changes is they could then start learning a decent amount of the Move's Types, not that I think Audino would be concerned with that but surely the above Dragons would.

Diancie: With it only having Clear Body can also get Magic Bounce.

"It has been confirmed that the July 21st episode of the Japanese Variety Show, Pokénchi, will contain "the latest information" on Pokémon Sword & Shield. "

~~ Serebii
Sounds like we’re going to be getting game news almost every week in the last few months, just like with Sun and Moon. Speaking of, wasn’t it around this time that we got the starter evolutions for that gen?

Last edited:
Sounds like we’re going to be getting game news almost every week in the last few months, just like with Sun and Moon. Speaking of, wasn’t it around this time that we got the starter evolutions for that’s gen?
I was thinking recently that it was weird we haven't seen the mid-evolutions for the starters when we're this close to release. Apparently I was dumb to not realise we'd be getting trailers every 2 seconds

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
I remember Gen 4 we didn't get any starter evos at all until the game released.
Neat

Haven't actually posted my thoughts about any of the giganamaxing trailer or the after trailer so I thought I'd share it.

Gigantamaxing is cool. I don't think they are like megas since it transforms only one thing about it and the appearance, where Mega Evolution tended to change type, stats, abilities, and commonly all three at once. It feels more in the veins of signature Z-Moves in that regard and the fact that you have to get them from specifically Max Raids means that it will be much more interesting and diverse in their lineup (although if the 4chan leak is anything to go off of there will of course be fan service for the 151). Dynamaxing seems like a really interesting mechanic in general so I am glad to see more support for it in the way of a signature mechanic.

Yamper is Yamper, we already saw it in the E3 Demo. What's more surprising is that we didn't see anything about Impidimp, since we actually know less about it. (also the Tail Whip thing can fuck right off).

Alcremie is certainly quite interesting. While Swirlix does fall on the dessert train and Slurpuff is technically the "Meringue" Pokemon, I think it ends up being more a taste tester and food tracker in its later stage thanks to its dex entries. Alcremie is a full cream Pokemon, which I think makes the "its just a rip-off" thing make less sense. Either way I'm still excited about it and we could be seeing a new move from it, unless thats like a reworked sweet scent animation.

Rolycoly is actually my favorite of the new three designs, as the idea of a wheel based Pokemon I don't think has been really done before iirc, and we certainly didn't expect it from a rock-type of all things. Steam Engine could be used to switch into Fire attacks but that purely theorymoning at this point. Its design by itself is already looking great and I am excited to pick one up for the journey alongside Wooloo and Scorbunny.

Duraladon looks dumb, I will outright say it. It is probably based on Mecha-Godzilla if I have been keeping up right, but I still have no clue what the hell it actually is, so I don't really know what to think. Exhaustive Beam (as it is called in Japan) is just Steel-type Mind Blown so there is that but not much is really speaking to me with it.

Must protect both Gym Leaders, and re-confirming my Sword Version pick.

As for new trailer mons, Toxapex can go die in a pit of ravenous Galvantula. Ferrothorn is cool though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One way I thought of normal dual-types is that they are meant to be the generic animals, like Pyroar - has a fire mane while having a generic lion body
Also explains all the normal-flying types
But then again, we have Yamper...
First time I saw Rockruff I thought it was going to be Normal/Rock since up till then all pure Rock-type Pokemon we've seen were just made of rocks.
Any Fire-type Pokemon without an open flame somewhere on its body I could probably see being confused for Normal/Fire: Vulpix family, Growlithe family, and the Fennekin family.

Though how about we flip this, pure Normal-types who look like they could be part other Type:
Porygon family are digital Pokemon yet isn't part Electric
Dunsparce could be part Ground (drill tail), Flying (wings), or Bug (always looked like a bit of a bug to me; yet I know it's based on a snake Yokai)
Castform's normal form looks like it could be part Flying-type, odd how the little guy flies yet doesn't have Ground-type immunity.
Bunnelby would be part Ground like it's evolution, odd it doesn't gain it until evolution.

BACK ON TOPIC

So, what are everyone's team plans so far? Any of the new Pokemon they introduced you'll definitely want on your team? Are you going for all new Pokemon or use whatever is thrown your way (or a mixture of both, whatever is thrown your way but focus on any new Pokemon).

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
My in-game team right now will probably be something to the effect of Grookey, Yamper, Duraludon, Impidimp, Gallade and Gyarados. Could change with new reveals or if certain Pokemon can't be obtained until later.

So, what are everyone's team plans so far? Any of the new Pokemon they introduced you'll definitely want on your team? Are you going for all new Pokemon or use whatever is thrown your way (or a mixture of both, whatever is thrown your way but focus on any new Pokemon).
I will demand Wooloo as star of my team and I will murder anyone who touches it.

So far of the pokemon presented, aside Wooloo and the (inevitable) Grookey, I'm kinda wanting to steal a Sobble egg from someone (it's too adorable, but I have to maintain my grass master race status), and then as many pink pokemon as possible.
I'd also love to have Duralodon, but that depends on how early it is available.

BACK ON TOPIC

It would be the same approach as with Sun/Moon: only new reptiles/dinosaurs.

Therefore, so far Sobble, Drednaw, Corviknight and Duraludon have guaranteed spots... unless, of course, there are more than 6 options and the PC-anywhere feature from Let's Go does not return.

BACK ON TOPIC

Other than the obvious Gallade that I'll try and get with all my might, I'll probably have Sobble, Rolycoly, Duralodon if available early, Alcreamy and *maybe* something part Grass because I may need someone else other than psychic boi against Nessa's Dreadnaw. Probably Gossifleur, because Ferroseed is a burden in-game and I've honestly been hyping it up since its release because it's a Grass type with Regenerator, and we know that those are good.

Right now, I'm pretty much dead set on using Duralodon and Alcremie. I want to wait on more info about the starters before making a final decision, but right now, I'm leaning on picking Scorbunny. Wooloo and Corviknight are two Pokemon I'll consider using, but other unreleased Pokemon could steal their spot.

You know, I’ve been wondering if the limited Pokémon per game is gonna be a norm, I’m wondering how Legendary and Mythical Pokémon will be handled. Will a certain handful be available per game without justification? Or will they just be discontinued?

I hope they at least make it so Dynamax Pokemon can't be forcibly switched out. Dynamax in VGC seems like it will barely be impactful if, under normal circumstances, a Pokemon will only have one active turn with it up before the condition wears off because it's flinch-locked, stalled out with Protect/Max Guard or phased out. It would be pretty lame if the meta was swimming with hard counters to what is supposed to be the signature mechanic of the generation.

You know, I’ve been wondering if the limited Pokémon per game is gonna be a norm, I’m wondering how Legendary and Mythical Pokémon will be handled. Will a certain handful be available per game without justification? Or will they just be discontinued?
Most likely the former, though, rather, with a "reasoning". Like, Tapus wouldn't really make sense to exist in Galar region, but I can see a good reasoning for the 4 justicars and even Keldeo for example since they're based on Knights and Galar is based on UK (I mean, we even get CorviKNIGHT).
We also know that Meltan is (nearly) guaranteed to be in this game.

Future remakes obviously will include their own legendaries + whatever extra they can find fitting.

Plus, certain Mythical and Legendary pokemon are also loved by fans, so actually discontinuing them would probably end up hurting the franchise in long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)