Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Alright, but just remember...

(... Or, you would have been...)
We're talking about official pre-release information though, rather than a vague ambiguous mystery which is told from an in-game perspective (and also over 20 years old). It's not outside the realm of possibility but I'd be willing to bet that there's no Elite 4 anymore.

EDIT: On another topic, what does that say in English Kanburi? Google translate mostly gives gibberish and I believe you can read Japanese?
E2: Nevermind I just realised its the probable SirFetch thing, should be an interesting reveal, I hope they do more of this interactive style of marketing in future, it was pretty fun to discuss it with other people.

We're talking about official pre-release information though, rather than a vague ambiguous mystery which is told from an in-game perspective (and also over 20 years old). It's not outside the realm of possibility but I'd be willing to bet that there's no Elite 4 anymore.

EDIT: On another topic, what does that say in English Kanburi? Google translate mostly gives gibberish and I believe you can read Japanese?
It says they discovered a prank played by a Pokémon on the suspected Sirfetch’d page and that it’ll be fixed on Wednesday at 10pm.

Xucrute

mt tchola
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I actually wonder if it’s really Sirfetch’d tbh it felt like people saw it and just assumed it was Sirfetch’d, at this point it better be otherwise we’re getting another shitshow. It’s reveal is just a SwSh page update? I was expecting a Pokémon direct tbh they’re really not showing us much this time around, at least it creates some hype in community but some more info would be really appreciated :blobwizard:

Having the rivals be a part of the tournament will be pretty awkward, since each of their story arcs would presumably end either before the tournament (and they won't even appear in bracket), or when you beat them in the tournament, in which case the bracket would need to be rigged in order to guarantee that you'll face them. Rigging the bracket isn't inherently a bad thing, but things get weird when you consider what happens if the player loses at any point in the tournament. It can be assumed that whatever NPC wins the tournament goes on to lose to Leon, but when you reenter the tournament, will you again face the rivals you've already beaten? Even if Game Freak makes it so that beating a rival in bracket replaces them with a random trainer, what about if you originally lost to one of the rivals? Are we to assume that we'll just keep happening to run into them in bracket until we beat them?

Having the rivals be a part of the tournament will be pretty awkward, since each of their story arcs would presumably end either before the tournament (and they won't even appear in bracket), or when you beat them in the tournament, in which case the bracket would need to be rigged in order to guarantee that you'll face them. Rigging the bracket isn't inherently a bad thing, but things get weird when you consider what happens if the player loses at any point in the tournament. It can be assumed that whatever NPC wins the tournament goes on to lose to Leon, but when you reenter the tournament, will you again face the rivals you've already beaten? Even if Game Freak makes it so that beating a rival in bracket replaces them with a random trainer, what about if you originally lost to one of the rivals? Are we to assume that we'll just keep happening to run into them in bracket until we beat them?
The tournament will likely be a psuedo-elite 4 in that it functions the same (you fight 4 trainers then the champ) but be flavorfully different.

And if we’re talking about the rivals in that tournament, Marnie either will not make it due to plot reasons involving getting fed up with Team Yell or be towards the end, Hop will either be battled before the Cup (where you eliminate him before the top cut) and Bede will probably be in the Finals before you fight Leon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, that's the thing. No matter who you lose to, be it rival or a random NPC, it's going to be awkward. Losing essentially would be a game over since what's the point of having this Champion Cup if the player can just re-enter it as many times as they like? Once the Champion defeats the challenger that would be it, Leon remains Champion for another year. So, yeah, that's another hurdle their going to have to overcome: what happens if the player loses the Champion Cup? Do they have a traditional game over? Will they just pretend it didn't happen like they do whenever you lose to the big bad? Would be interesting if they actually wrote a "player loses" scenario though that would probably mean winning or losing the Champion Cup doesn't matter as it wouldn't be the story's conclusion. Or they could do a cliche where the player never actually competes in the Champion Cup, called away due to plot.

Good news everyone! It looks like we'll be getting some more info:

Serebii said:
It has been confirmed that some news about Pokémon Sword & Shield will come tomorrow, September 18th at 22:00 JST / 14:00 BST / 09:00 EDT / 06:00 PDT. This will focus on the reveal of the mystery Pokémon that was "glitched" on Friday. At present we don't know the format of the news but will post it as soon as it comes so be sure to keep checking back
I agree with the people who think the glitched bird will be a Farfetch'd evolution, as while it is much heavier I also believe that weight mainly comes from its shield and leek sword. I'm hoping we see the evolutions of the starters this time (still picking Scorbunny). Also, please bring back Metagross and Volcarona.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Last time I hoped for focus on new features besides Pokemon and we got those in the Direct. This time, I hope they focus on revitalizations for old favorites. Specifically, I want them to show off more Galarian forms as well as finally show a few Gigantamax forms besides the first 3. That'd be cool to see imo since the last trailer's Pokemon time was for 2 brand new ones.

Well, that's the thing. No matter who you lose to, be it rival or a random NPC, it's going to be awkward. Losing essentially would be a game over since what's the point of having this Champion Cup if the player can just re-enter it as many times as they like? Once the Champion defeats the challenger that would be it, Leon remains Champion for another year. So, yeah, that's another hurdle their going to have to overcome: what happens if the player loses the Champion Cup? Do they have a traditional game over? Will they just pretend it didn't happen like they do whenever you lose to the big bad? Would be interesting if they actually wrote a "player loses" scenario though that would probably mean winning or losing the Champion Cup doesn't matter as it wouldn't be the story's conclusion. Or they could do a cliche where the player never actually competes in the Champion Cup, called away due to plot.
I assume it’s just a traditional white out and everyone acts like it hasn’t happened yet. The same way losing to the boss of a ruthless mafia gang or a legendary pokemon capable of world bending feats just puts you at the Pokemon centre for you to try again like nothing happened.

You just lose concieusness and awake in the Pokémon Center, as always. Or theyd simply put a "game over try next time!" screen and then the game starts again at the beginning of the event cinematic etc etc as weve seen in thousand of games.

Champion Cup sounds legit interesting and actually adds a lot of replayability to the game.

Possible Sirfetch'd reveal is really cool, even though I'm not quite digging the loss of its Flying-type for the same reason I dislike Alolan Marowak's typing.
(Really no reason for it to not be a Ground/Ghost type with some Fire moves. Keep some consistency for crying out loud.)

Might change my opinion if Galarian Farfetch'd is revealed with a Fighting/Flying type.

I just hope freaking DUX doesn't get Sacred Sword before Gallade...

Considering Sirfetch'd was basically confirmed five days ago, today's batch of infos is "Sirfetch'd is Pokémon Sword exclusive".

I am disappointed to be honest. I was hoping for some actual news.
Considering we didn't know whether it was Sirfetch'd or Galarian Farfetch'd, these are actual news.

The presence of Escavalier pretty much confirms Sirfetch'd jousts.

EDIT: WEBSITE UPDATED!

https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/pokemon-galar-region/sirfetchd/

Sirfetch'd gets its own version of Giga Impact as a signature move.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Farfetch'd has base 52 HP. Incidentally, a Level 60 Pokemon with base 52 HP, 0 HP EVs, and 20 HP IVs has 144 HP. Therefore, Sirfetch'd most likely has base 52 HP, the same as Farfetch'd. The most it can have is base 62, if that Sirfetch'd in the picture has 0 HP IVs and EVs.

Last edited:

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)