Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So Duraludon actually has no evolutionary relatives.

Well, there goes the hypothesis that it was this generation's pseudo-legendary.

(PS: "Hagane" = "Steel". It does not mean anything we didn't know.)
This should also signify that anything that does have a number at the end of its codename must at the very least have either a gigantamax form or one more evolutionary stage. Rolycoly, Yamper and Wooloo all have a 1 at the end of theirs; so we can expect an evolution or gigantamax form. Interestingly, evolutions and gigantamaxes for none of those are hinted at by the Big Leak, so we've got even more stuff to look forward to...

Interesting that Alcremie and Polteageist are stage two mons, conceptually they seemed like solo lines to me. Will Alcremie1 just be a smaller dollop of cream? Although I guess Polteageist1 being a tea cup is a bit obvious. Maybe they'll introduce more baby Pokemon? We haven't seen any new ones since Gen IV.

I think most people assumed Yamper, Rolycoly, and Wooloo would evolve at least once so this information isn't telling us much. The real question is if they are two or three stage lines. I'd like more three stagers, there's definitely something more rewarding in game about having your Pokemon evolve multiple times.

Last edited:
Time to keep my end of the bargain! Here's yet another dex size update!

Kanto - 45 (44 original, 1 regional variant)
Johto - 24 (15 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 29 (26 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution) (+1)
Sinnoh - 31 (19 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 52 (all original)
Kalos - 26 (25 original, 1 cross-gen evolution) (+3)
Alola - 22 (all original) (+2)
Galar - 20 (18 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 249 (+6)

Percentages (Rounded down)
Kanto - 29% of Kanto mons, 18% of Galar dex
Johto - 24% of Johto mons, 9% of Galar dex
Hoenn - 21% of Hoenn mons, 11% of Galar dex
Sinnoh - 28% of Sinnoh mons, 12% of Galar dex
Unova - 34% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar dex
Kalos - 38% of Kalos mons, 10% of Galar dex
Alola - 25% of Alola mons, 8% of Galar dex
Galar - 8% of Galar dex

With the addition of Aegislash, Kalos is once again the leader for % of its home Pokedex represented, but still only a few steps from the bottom for overall dex proportion due to the small size of the Kalos dex. The gap between the most represented and least represented (Hoenn) is 17%.

Kurona touched on this earlier, but anybody else find this process of rooting through trailers and counting the roster weirdly fun and exciting? Some have argued that it's a pretty sad state of affairs where we have to even do this now which I suppose is valid, but I dunno, I'm kinda enjoying it. It gives each and every trailer a lot more meaning now, that's for sure!
Keep up with the good job, I'm following this closely.

And about the last part...

I mean, it really depends on what your opinion is on the whole Dexit thing. Against it; Begrudging acceptance; or looking at the positives of it. Depending on where you are on that scale it can very from thinking it's a sad state of affairs to excitement to "well, at least my favourite's made it" to anything in-between. Any of them are valid and it makes this whole thing a bit more interesting.
I don't really care for Dexit, I really like to see what the continent has to offer. However, knowing that several Pokémon won't make it makes it really fun for me to see who is there and who is not, to try and understand the initial pattern. After next gen's games, we'll probably be able to infer some of the Pokémon who should (focus on SHOULD) make it based on the flavor of the following generations.

This should also signify that anything that does have a number at the end of its codename must at the very least have either a gigantamax form or one more evolutionary stage. Rolycoly, Yamper and Wooloo all have a 1 at the end of theirs; so we can expect an evolution or gigantamax form. Interestingly, evolutions and gigantamaxes for none of those are hinted at by the Big Leak, so we've got even more stuff to look forward to...
I’m pretty sure the G in front of the names for the three ‘mons we know have Gigantimax forms is what indicates that it is using the Gmax model, so I’m pretty sure that the numbers indicate the stages. (Especially since we’ve seen them use that format before)

On the subject of the codename info: Assuming these represent evolution stages, this means that there are unrevealed pre-evos for a lot of the Galar gang thus far, which in turn means that a dedicated Galarian Farfetch'd as a pre-evolution for Sirfetch'd could still be possible
Not to mention Koffing as well. It's always been strange to me that they never explicitly showed Koffing at least evolving into Galarian Weezing, so while it seems like the most obvious answer is that we just have Koffing and Farfetch'd as usual, I feel there's enough room for Galarian forms as well.

I’m pretty sure the G in front of the names for the three ‘mons we know have Gigantimax forms is what indicates that it is using the Gmax model, so I’m pretty sure that the numbers indicate the stages. (Especially since we’ve seen them use that format before)
I hope so too, honestly. That would seem to indicate, then, that Drednaw as a pre-evolution as well...

Not to mention Koffing as well. It's always been strange to me that they never explicitly showed Koffing at least evolving into Galarian Weezing, so while it seems like the most obvious answer is that we just have Koffing and Farfetch'd as usual, I feel there's enough room for Galarian forms as well.

I hope so too, honestly. That would seem to indicate, then, that Drednaw as a pre-evolution as well...
Why would a pre-evo get a GMax form? I can get Pikachu, Eevee or Meowth, but a generic fossil?

I think he meant to say "That would seem to indicate, then, that Drednaw has a pre-evolution as well..."
Yeah, she did. I can't even imagine what Drednaw would be a pre-evolution to.
Well. I guess something that looks a lot like Gigantamax Drednaw :p

One other thing this has ended up reminding me of: that apparently only certain members of a species can Gigantamax. That's frustrated me ever since we heard it, and now that Corviknight might just be the regional bird - ie, something a lot of people are likely going to catch on route 1/2 as one of their first Pokémon and long-term team members - then that just makes the whole thing a thousand times worse, unless every babyknight in the earlygame is special or something. Really hope to find out more about this aspect and how severe it is, because it might just be my least favourite thing we've heard about the game thus far; taking the problem of IVs and exaggerating them into realms of ridiculousness.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yamper is clearly a corgi
Whoops, sorry! Had a mind lapse. In this case "Inu" does just mean dog unless it evolves into a Shiba Inu (once again, why are half of them in English and the other in Japanese?).

Well, color me surprised. Corviknight may not show up in-game as late as Skarmory did in GSC.
Well, it's basic stage will probably appear early. Corviknight itself will then appear maybe near middle point.

When did Skarmory show up in GS... ROUTE 45? Just before Blackthorn? Geez, I remember getting a Skarmory in Alpha Sapphire which were on Route 113 which was about middle of the game. Then again they did also make Sneasel and Misdreavus on/around Mt. Silver.

Haganedoragon: "Hagane" is Japanese for "steel", and "doragon" is a transliteration of "Dragon". Steel Dragon.
Touwata: Not sure what "Tou" is for, but "Wata" is Japanese for "cotton".

Intersting that Alcremie and Polteageist are stage two mons, conceptually they seemed like solo lines to me. Will Alcremie1 just be a smaller dollop of cream?
Especially considering Alcremie's from variant gimmick, how is that going to work? Will its prevo also do it, not have it, or only do one part of it. Like I could maybe see them doing a Flabebe-esque thing where it's prevo is a dollop of cream on top of a of fruit. Like it would be absorbing the natural sugars of the fruit so by the time it evolves it'll have the sugar needed to make more whip cream and bits of the fruit would become part of it.

One other thing this has ended up reminding me of: that apparently only certain members of a species can Gigantamax. That's frustrated me ever since we heard it, and now that Corviknight might just be the regional bird - ie, something a lot of people are likely going to catch on route 1/2 as one of their first Pokémon and long-term team members - then that just makes the whole thing a thousand times worse, unless every babyknight in the earlygame is special or something. Really hope to find out more about this aspect and how severe it is, because it might just be my least favourite thing we've heard about the game thus far; taking the problem of IVs and exaggerating them into realms of ridiculousness.
Wasn't it said you can only get Pokemon that can Gigantamax from Raids?

Especially considering Alcremie's from variant gimmick, how is that going to work? Will its prevo also do it, not have it, or only do one part of it. Like I could maybe see them doing a Flabebe-esque thing where it's prevo is a dollop of cream on top of a of fruit. Like it would be absorbing the natural sugars of the fruit so by the time it evolves it'll have the sugar needed to make more whip cream and bits of the fruit would become part of it.
One way they could do it would be what they did with Vivillon. The pre-evo is generic (a dollop of white whip cream similar to Vanillite) that evolves into different Alcremie based on geographic location.

Edit: Or some other random/non-random variable like Pokémon ID, EV/IV value at evolution, etc.

Another way out would be to make it held-item conditional. You go into a bakery, buy a blueberry/mango treat, give it to the pre-evo, and then level it up once to evolve.

Last edited:
Wasn't it said you can only get Pokemon that can Gigantamax from Raids?
And apparently they're rare from there too.

Though we still don't know what the Dynamax level thing does. Maybe it just means Raids Pokemon can Gigantamax right away, and you can otherwise basically train a Pokemon into being Gigantamax-capable. That would be a much more reasonable way of handling it, and would potentially allow transferred mons to Gigantamax.

And apparently they're rare from there too.

Though we still don't know what the Dynamax level thing does. Maybe it just means Raids Pokemon can Gigantamax right away, and you can otherwise basically train a Pokemon into being Gigantamax-capable. That would be a much more reasonable way of handling it, and would potentially allow transferred mons to Gigantamax.
Raids likely have difficulty levels with higher difficulties giving higher dynamax levels (or a better chance to get them)

Yeah, I'm going out on a limb and guess only the Dynamax level keeps GMax-able mons from GMaxing.

Raids could have max D-Level mons from time to time so you can catch a GMax mon that way. Especially since only one player can catch the raid mon.

If they actually lock them behind raids... Wow, I have no words.

Whoops, sorry! Had a mind lapse. In this case "Inu" does just mean dog unless it evolves into a Shiba Inu (once again, why are half of them in English and the other in Japanese?).
Corgis show up in Welsh Myths as mounts for the fae, so I would say that it also evolves into a Shiba. Maybe Electric/Fairy?

Also, maybe the names are written by the people who designed the 'mons, so maybe Grookey was made by someone who speaks English?

Yeah, I'm going out on a limb and guess only the Dynamax level keeps GMax-able mons from GMaxing.

Raids could have max D-Level mons from time to time so you can catch a GMax mon that way. Especially since only one player can catch the raid mon.

If they actually lock them behind raids... Wow, I have no words.
Except during the Treehouse presentation the announcer specifically says "So now all of us have a chance to catch this Steelix" when they beat the Raid Steelix in the presentation, indicating that it's like PoGo raids where everyone can catch the raid 'mon. Please point out where they have actually stated that only one player can catch the raid 'mon in a given raid.

Corgis show up in Welsh Myths as mounts for the fae, so I would say that it also evolves into a Shiba. Maybe Electric/Fairy?

Also, maybe the names are written by the people who designed the 'mons, so maybe Grookey was made by someone who speaks English?

Except during the Treehouse presentation the announcer specifically says "So now all of us have a chance to catch this Steelix" when they beat the Raid Steelix in the presentation, indicating that it's like PoGo raids where everyone can catch the raid 'mon. Please point out where they have actually stated that only one player can catch the raid 'mon in a given raid.
Really? I missed that. My bad.

So Duraludon actually has no evolutionary relatives.

Well, there goes the hypothesis that it was this generation's pseudo-legendary.

(PS: "Hagane" = "Steel". It does not mean anything we didn't know.)
With Duraludon out of the running for pseudo, it reminds me that Pokeshopper discussed the pseudo in one of his videos (note: the video discusses leaks if you want to avoid them yet are for some reason still reading this thread), and stated that one of his Chinese merch sources was sure that the pseudo was the mon mentioned in a Japanese rumor that came out before/around the Affleck leak, Meteodyna. While Duraludon not being a pseudo doesn't lend any credence to this claim, but if it had been a 3-stager I think most of us would be inclined to bet on Duraludon being the pseudo still.

As for the dynamax cam, it's a neat little app and it's cool that we got confirmation of Aegislash (& others) out of it. Now I'll have to see if I cave and add it to my team again... If it has a gigantamax form, I might not be able to resist. :P

It would have been cool if the app had also teased an entirely new mon in an Imdidimp-esque way. While it's a bit odd that they haven't officially revealed Imdidimp yet (along with Legendary typings), if I recall correctly they first showed Trevenant in a movie trailer and waited a while before its official reveal.

With Duraludon out of the running for pseudo, it reminds me that Pokeshopper discussed the pseudo in one of his videos (note: the video discusses leaks if you want to avoid them yet are for some reason still reading this thread), and stated that one of his Chinese merch sources was sure that the pseudo was the mon mentioned in a Japanese rumor that came out before/around the Affleck leak, Meteodyna. While Duraludon not being a pseudo doesn't lend any credence to this claim, but if it had been a 3-stager I think most of us would be inclined to bet on Duraludon being the pseudo still.

As for the dynamax cam, it's a neat little app and it's cool that we got confirmation of Aegislash (& others) out of it. Now I'll have to see if I cave and add it to my team again... If it has a gigantamax form, I might not be able to resist. :P

It would have been cool if the app had also teased an entirely new mon in an Imdidimp-esque way. While it's a bit odd that they haven't officially revealed Imdidimp yet (along with Legendary typings), if I recall correctly they first showed Trevenant in a movie trailer and waited a while before its official reveal.
And wasn't Alolan Duggy in the SM demo a little before an official announcement? (if it got one)

Do you think that the stick item, will work with Sir'fetched?
While the circumnstances are not exactly the same, the Thick Club worked on Alolan Marowak, so it's safe to assume the Stick should work as well.

I mean, there isn't any reason for us to think it won't work... or is it?
Thick Club and Soul Dew are the only Pokemon-specific items that works on multiple Pokemon. Meanwhile, the Light Ball only works on Pikachu, the Lucky Punch only works on Chansey, and the Deep Sea Tooth and Scale only work on Clamperl.

The odds are not in Sirfetch'd's favor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)