SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

By the way guys, there isn't any news about Meltan / Melmetan ? Those Pokemon were supposed to be part of 8th gen right ?
They're most certainly Gen 7, but I wouldn't be surprised if they show up in the post-400s along with Mew. Seems a missed opp to put them in only a remake before banishing them, I say brushing the USUM Pokemon under the carpet.

While Natdex discussion really doesn't belong here and I'm against making it official anyway, I'd like to argue one thing. I believe that the Mega and Z-move removal is entirely independent of Dexit.
First off megas have led to some really fucky powercreep - I believe there's only Audino left in RU? (Not up to date with lower tiers.) So I suppose it was time for them to die anyway, and while I hate Dexit with all my heart, I'm glad the SAtk benchmark for viability is no longer around 150.
Generally when GF introduces a new mechanic, they abandon old ones to shift the focus. Now megas had the problem of being a fan favourite by practically being 50 completely new mons, so GF squeezed them into Gen 7 because they were mutually exclusive with Z-moves anyway. But allowing an interaction between Mega evolution and Dynamax? I honestly can't imagine that, neither how the exact mechanics would make sense nor how they would ever balance that. And G-maxing changes everything: Charizard is the living proof that it's impossible for a mon to go mega and D-/G-Max at the same time. I highly doubt GF would implement some shit like "Zard can G-max before mega but not after" (especially since there's probably only 1 place to put that button, like for Mega Raquayquay). Nor would it make sense to specifically ban maxing if something holds a Mega stone, as it works with literally any other item. All these possibilities are absurd - GF most likely decided to kill Megas the moment they came up with Dynamaxing.
Now, if the playerbase really wants to make Natdex the default OU mode (which likely won't happen, we will all get used to the loss of our loved ones, and we will be happy about the loss of Landorus) - if it does happen, please please let it happen without some fucky spaghetti interactions that never existed, and were never meant to exist, in Gen 8 with or without Dexit. Let's have a Natdex meta without Megas and Z-moves. Don't worry, HDB on certain mons that were supposed to be balanced by hazards will already give us enough powercreep. Coding arbitrary interactions would strike me as no different than a "GEN 3 BUT WITH FAIRY AND P/S SPLIT AND HBEAM RESET!!!1!" petmod. Let's not do that.

we already know fake out and flinching in general do not work on dyna/gigantamax pokemon so I don’t really see why red card and phazing move would work. it feels like GF is trying to make it so the 3 turns of dynamax can’t be cheesed or stalled out.
I can see it going both ways but I hope they do allow it. It would just add a lot of counterplay to some of the more ridiculous dmax pokemon like Gyarados dragon dancing and setting up his own rain etc. But it makes sense if flinching doesn't work, protect doesn't fully work, that they would've addressed phazing too.

I realise I´m way late to the party, but I´d still like to share some of my thoughts and opinions about the designs anyway.

Overall, I´m pretty mixed about the new pokemon. like any generation, there are both good and bad designs, obviously. However, what I noticed about this gen´s designs is that a lot of them are both good and bad at the same time. A lot of designs I almost like, if that makes sense.

I think Galarian Rapidash is a good Example. The devs got many things right about the design, mainly the main body and the colour scheme. However, they ruined it for me with the details of the head. Its nose and jaw aren´t sharp like the original Rapidash, but more rounded and almost swollen-looking instead, and the shape of its eyelid gives it an annoyed or condescending expression. It just doesn´t look majestic at all. When your unicorn pokemon looks more like a My Little Pony OC reject than a majestic, dreamy horse, you've done something wrong. If they just put original-Rapidash' head on the new galarian form, it would look much better already. I'm also a bit sad that it doesn't have the more poofy hair like ponyta.

Another example of this sloppyness is the hard transition from green to yellow on Appletuns body, which looks a bit ugly imo. Also the fossils... just in general. The bright, clashing colours and weird patterns make the t-rex ones utterly bizar and out of place. The starters also stand out as particularly bad this time around, Intelleon even more particularly. All of these pokemon have a decent concept, but with a lackluster execution.

Some other pokemon have another problem where they look too much like thing they take their design inspiration from. The best example of this is dragapult, which is quite literally a jet plane with a face on it and a dragon's body dangling below it. Now, there's nothing wrong with a pokemon being based on a jet plane, but the execution here is just very unsubtle. If you compare it to Garchomp, a dragon that also heavily resembles a jet, the difference becomes clear. Garchomp's execution is just a lot more subtle, which makes the design less goofy and one-dimensional, and more badass, suiting for a pseudo legendary. Another example is Stonejourner, which is quite literally just stonehenge with a face on it. It makes me question why that concept even had to be a pokemon in the first place. It's just so forced to me, like gamefreak thinks that we expect stonehenge to be in the game in some way, so they just make it a pokemon since that's in the name of the game after all. If GF can't be bothered to do something interesting with the concept, I'd rather them not even try. Stonehenge could have easily been a location instead of a pokemon.

For every lackluster design, there is also a good design, so I'd like to end with some positive opinions. I think that the bugs are especially good in this gen. I mostly pin this on the fact that all three have unique typings wich lends itself well to unique designs as well. I wish we would have gotten more pokemon with interesting typings, rather than all of the monotype, judging from how well typings seemed to positively affect the bugs' design. Dubwool, Corviknight and Toxtricity also left a good impression on me.

Another thing I really like is how GF finally seems to understand how to make stat distributions that make sense. Most of the pokemon we have some info on have good distribtions for their role and typing. There are some exceptions like Galarian Mr. Mime and Coalossal, which seem to have pretty weird statlines, but on the whole It seems like they leared from the hot mess that was gen 7.

Some other pokemon have another problem where they look too much like thing they take their design inspiration from. The best example of this is dragapult, which is quite literally a jet plane with a face on it and a dragon's body dangling below it. Now, there's nothing wrong with a pokemon being based on a jet plane, but the execution here is just very unsubtle. If you compare it to Garchomp, a dragon that also heavily resembles a jet, the difference becomes clear. Garchomp's execution is just a lot more subtle, which makes the design less goofy and one-dimensional, and more badass, suiting for a pseudo legendary.
You're 100% entitled to your opinion because Pokemon design ratings are subjective, but I just find this interesting since Dragapult definitely seems to be one of the most well-received Pokemon designs by the Pokemon audience (including me).

Also 100% agreed on the bit about bugs and stat distributions. Wish some were better (Cursola-evo WHY), but it's a step in the right direction.

Another example of this sloppyness is the hard transition from green to yellow on Appletuns body, which looks a bit ugly imo. Also the fossils... just in general. The bright, clashing colours and weird patterns make the t-rex ones utterly bizar and out of place. The starters also stand out as particularly bad this time around, Intelleon even more particularly. All of these pokemon have a decent concept, but with a lackluster execution.
I'd argue the bizarre clashing of the fossils was intentional which makes their designs better simply because they're supposed to clash and be a reference to palientoligist fossil reconstruction screw ups.

Appletun's design fits for me simple because it's not an apple anymore, it's a pie.

I'd argue the bizarre clashing of the fossils was intentional which makes their designs better simply because they're supposed to clash and be a reference to palientoligist fossil reconstruction screw ups.

Appletun's design fits for me simple because it's not an apple anymore, it's a pie.
I get that the different combination are supposed to be weird, but that doesn't explain the bizarre colours. I mean, even if they found the head of the t-rex and stiched everything together properly, the pokemon would probably still look out of place next to any of the other fossil pokemon.

I think Galarian Rapidash is a good Example. The devs got many things right about the design, mainly the main body and the colour scheme. However, they ruined it for me with the details of the head. Its nose and jaw aren´t sharp like the original Rapidash, but more rounded and almost swollen-looking instead, and the shape of its eyelid gives it an annoyed or condescending expression. It just doesn´t look majestic at all. When your unicorn pokemon looks more like a My Little Pony OC reject than a majestic, dreamy horse, you've done something wrong. If they just put original-Rapidash' head on the new galarian form, it would look much better already. I'm also a bit sad that it doesn't have the more poofy hair like ponyta.
Tbh, the unicorns of the legends are quite the jerks, as they stab anyone who is not pure of heart. So, having a Rapidash with a more condescending expression makes some sense, especially if they feel entitled to judge a human with a single scan of their horn. And, to be honest, rather than MLP, that kind of attitude reminds me another unicorn from another series: Celestabellebethabelle from Gravity Falls.

On the matter of the fossils, their designs being so messed up was 100% intentional. I've seen plenty of people saying that they look horrible, but... yeah, that means that the design worked. Their basic concept is constructed around the idea that these creatures are complete abominations, they look messed up because they ARE messed up.

And I really like that, not only because I like the way they look, but because I think they're genuinely very unique Pokémon. We have well over 800 Pokémon at this point, yet these creatures look like nothing else. We've had a ton of cool dinosaurs and weird fishes, but it's really interesting to see a bunch of Pokémon take a completely different approach on these ideas and break the mold completely.

Also, Dracozolt is a pure boy, and I'll protect him at all costs

So the apples do share a Gigantamax. That's actually interesting as hell, since this most likely means G-maxing changes base stats. Unless it's a M-Lati@s thing where they look the same and have completely different stats? I never understood those either.

As for G-Gengar, let's please just pretend it doesn't exist. It's the best for everyone involved, including Gengar itself.

So the apples do share a Gigantamax. That's actually interesting as hell, since this most likely means G-maxing changes base stats. Unless it's a M-Lati@s thing where they look the same and have completely different stats? I never understood those either.

As for G-Gengar, let's please just pretend it doesn't exist. It's the best for everyone involved, including Gengar itself.
1573256005942.jpg

It’s interesting that there’s a g-max flapple, but no g-max appletun (as far as we know at the moment). If I’m honest, g-max flapple looks more like a g-max version of its pre-evo applin or even appletun. What an interesting design choice.
Also g-max gengar is terrifying! I’m glad they’re sticking with the design motif of gengar melting into the floor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 6)