SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Hidden Power was rampantly abused by any mon with a decent SpA who needed a coverage move. It led to a lot of mons being able to chip, if not outright ko, mons they had no business staying in on. It’s mechanics were junk and outdated (lol no HP Fairy) and I’m glad to see it retired. Maybe we’ll finally see a rise of Special attackers with lower stats, but better coverage.

Return/Frustration are a bit more questionable, but I guess GF didn’t want to deal with the whole issue of scaling BP to happiness. Normal Types are really going to miss this one.

The rest of the moves I get (sky drop) completely or not at all (pursuit, bubble, magnitude). Really interested in those datamined movesets now.

trubbish

Banned deucer.
It occurs to me that another reason they might have gotten rid of Return and Frustration was difficulties with Rental Teams, and trading in general making users of those moves no longer battle ready.
Wait they seriously removed Return? Source? Is there a full move list somewhere I didn't see?

Anyone getting Earthbound vibes from gigantamax melmetal? I'm really hoping melmetal is gigantamax by default so I can use my shiny. Doubt it though.

I'm really hoping melmetal is gigantamax by default so I can use my shiny. Doubt it though.
I'd be shocked if it weren't, tbh. They've made a whole thing out of making Melmetal a cross-trade bonus, so it would defy the point if none of those cross-traded Melmetals were actually useful in competitive.

True. Although the absence of a new gen 8 mythical really reinforces the theory that meltan/metal was originally a gen 8 Mon that they ported to let's go for better sales. I wouldn't be surprised if they held another event/tie in so people have to get another, more competitively viable melmetal. They've done it plenty of times in the past with HA's. *Looks at Landorus from dream radar*

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Removing Pursuit and HP - the only two moves keeping half the damn meta in check - pretty much proves my theory that GF wants to move on from Pokemon but would rather destroy it than sell the rights to Nintendo.

On the other hand, my boi gets Protean!
If anything removing these moves would lead to broken things kept in check by them banned (assumedly Ferro, idk what was really kept in check by pursuit outside of, uh, Blacephalon)

If anything removing these moves would lead to broken things kept in check by them banned (assumedly Ferro, idk what was really kept in check by pursuit outside of, uh, Blacephalon)
To me it looks like another case of someone who forgot that neither of those moves is used in VGC which is the official format, as usual, and they kept in check absolutely nothing.

Couple of ubers observations:

1) Removing Signal Beam is actually a significant problem for Necrozma's coverage in its base and Dawn Wings forms. Fortunately there isn't much in the way of ubers-level Dark types, given that Tyranitar has very little reason to be relevant. And it's not like Necrozma-DW has much reason to be used.

2) I'm wondering if Stealth Rock will see as much use. Of the currently known ubers: Aegislash, Solgaleo, Necrozma-DM, Marshadow, Zacian and Zamazenta resist it. Mewtwo, Zekrom, Lunala, Necrozma-DW and Eternatus are neutral to it. Only Reshiram and Kyurem-W are hit super-effectively. Precisely zero current ubers have Levitate or Flying type, making Spikes pretty much always superior.

Lol what makes you think it isnt going to switch out? It literally has no coverage to beat Tar at +2 except Giga Drain, which obviously doesn't do enough. It even lost the possibility of HP Fighting

Which is why the removal of Pursuit is huge, since Geist and Dragapult can freely switch out of dark types.
Its even bigger than we imagine, psychic breakers such as gardevoir or reuniclus can finally lock themselves into psychic without fear of being trapped by banded ttar. Pivots such as cursola and reuniclus can freely switch in and out too

I like this change, its for the better

That would be pay-to-play. If you need to pay to even play the game (online) and pay no more than that to do anything else, that's just pay to play. Pay-to-win means paying more money to give you higher chance of winning.
I really don't get what's so complicated to you. There will be diffferent HAs and Gigantamax (which can't be passed down by breeding) events that will only be available through limited-time online events, so you will need to be subscribed constantly to get them. VGC isn't online, nor is something like the Battle Tower.

Cinderace getting the best new move out of the starters while getting the best coverage AND getting PROTEAN

I think we already know which mon they want to push to be popular this gen
I mean, it's Fire (one of the most popular type, if not the most), a rabbit (popular with things like Bugs Bunny, Zootopia, Rule34) and he's based on a soccer player in a UK based game where you fight inside a stadium in front of a huge audience. (and it continues the chinese zodiac pattern.)

They couldn't have made it more appealing to kids even if they tried I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)