SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Past Gen Inclusions/Exclusions Observations:
So by now I'm sure every notable competitive Pokemon that's been included/exlcuded have been mentioned & discussed how their presence/absence is going to affect the metagame. Nothing I can really add there. So, while looking through the grid I tried to keep an open eye for any interesting tidbits and I think I may found a few:

Vacant Past Gen Bugs/Birds/Rodents: Every generation introduces what many would consider a "Gen Bug", "Gen Bird", and "Gen Rodent". For Kanto it was Caterpie/Weedle, Pidgey, and Ratatta. For Johto it was Spinarak/Ledyba, Hoothoot, and Sentret. And etc.. However, starting Gen VI after it had a sort of "reboot" in Gen V, they began using the past gen Bugs/Birds/Rodents to fill those roles letting them to do more interesting things with that gen's version of those Pokemon. Thanks to this Gen VI gave us Vivillon, Talonflame, & Diggersby and Gen VII gave us Vikavolt, Toucannon, and Gumshoos. Even if not all of them were competitive level they were at least more interesting then previous gen's.

So, imagine my surprise when I found that most of these Pokemon have been completely cut. "Really, you were surprised"? Well, yes, because I thought they'd keep a handful but after the dex cut the only ones left are Caterpie, Grubbin, Hoothoot, Pidove, (Galarian) Zigzagoon, and Bunnelby. That's it. While I guess serviceable, at the same time a downgrade then the last two gens. So, I thought about it, and decided to be a bit more "generous" and include all the other bugs, bird, and rodents I could see filling in these roles. This is what I got:
  • Gen Bugs: Caterpie, Combee, Nincada, Dwebble, Karrablast, Shelmet, Joltic, Grubbin, Cutiefly
  • Gen Birds: Farfetch'd, Hoothoot, Natu, Wingull, Pidove, Rufflet, Vullaby
  • Gen Rodents: Zigzagoon, Minccino, Bunnelby
A much more generous variety, though usually a lot of these Pokemon are encountered later, not meant to be considered early fodder that you'll end up replacing later. Of course we have to include Galar's version of these Pokemon which his a psychic ladybug, a steel crow, and a chubby squirrel.

So where am I going with all this? Looking at the options I noticed many many provide either a unique secondary Typing or has something which makes it unique on its own. It feels like in a way GF may have tried to maybe mitigate the idea of the "gen bug/bird/rodent" by keeping all the options they kept feel they have their own thing to offer and aren't meant to just be tossed away later on (or at least not as early as you normally would). Also with many having secondary Typing it also gives options to how to form your team. Like if you want the psychic ladybug on your team you'll probably not pick Natu to be your bird or if you want Rufflet you may not pick Minccino (and from there you build your team around that or, if you come across another Pokemon you want to use, go back and choose another bug/bird/rodent till you get a team you like).

Would The Pikaclones Please Stand Up: The only past gen Pikaclone in Galar is Togedemaru. While I can understand them not including Plusle, Minun, & Pachirisu, but to also not include both or either Emolga & Dedenne is a bit surprising since they have secondary Types not shared by other Pikaclones. And considering Morpeko's gimmick having those two would emphasize the different secondary Types the recent batch of Pikaclones have had (Flying, Fairy, Steel, and now Dark).

Spore Alone: Morelull is the only Pokemon that knows Spore in Galar.

Leon Not Lion: Bit odd that the Litleo family is absent, especially with how lions are a notable heraldry symbol (not to mention the Champion's name is Leon which means "lion"). Heck, the only big cat I see is Liepard, Luxray is also absent.

Well, that's all I see with my causal eyes. Well, of course I see more, but nothing more than "oh that Pokemon was excluded/included?".

Last edited:
Past Gen Inclusions/Exclusions Observations:
So by now I'm sure every notable competitive Pokemon that's been included/exlcuded have been mentioned & discussed how their presence/absence is going to affect the metagame. Nothing I can really add there. So, while looking through the grid I tried to keep an open eye for any interesting tidbits and I think I may found a few:

Vacant Past Gen Bugs/Birds/Rodents: Every generation introduces what many would consider a "Gen Bug", "Gen Bird", and "Gen Rodent". For Kanto it was Caterpie/Weedle, Pidgey, and Ratatta. For Johto it was Spinarak/Ledyba, Hoothoot, and Sentret. And etc.. However, starting Gen VI after it had a sort of "reboot" in Gen V, they began using the past gen Bugs/Birds/Rodents to fill those roles letting them to do more interesting things with that gen's version of those Pokemon. Thanks to this Gen VI gave us Vivillon, Talonflame, & Diggersby and Gen VII gave us Vikavolt, Toucannon, and Gumshoos. Even if not all of them were competitive level they were at least more interesting then previous gen's.

So, imagine my surprise when I found that most of these Pokemon have been completely cut. "Really, you were surprised"? Well, yes, because I thought they'd keep a handful but after the dex cut the only ones left are Caterpie, Grubbin, Hoothoot, Pidove, (Galarian) Zigzagoon, and Bunnelby. That's it. While I guess serviceable, at the same time a downgrade then the last two gens. So, I thought about it, and decided to be a bit more "generous" and include all the other bugs, bird, and rodents I could see filling in these roles. This is what I got:
  • Gen Bugs: Caterpie, Combee, Nincada, Dwebble, Karrablast, Shelmet, Joltic, Grubbin, Cutiefly
  • Gen Birds: Farfetch'd, Hoothoot, Natu, Wingull, Pidove, Rufflet, Vullaby
  • Gen Rodents: Zigzagoon, Minccino, Bunnelby
A much more generous variety, though usually a lot of these Pokemon are encountered later, not meant to be considered early fodder that you'll end up replacing later. Of course we have to include Galar's version of these Pokemon which his a psychic ladybug, a steel crow, and a chubby squirrel.

So where am I going with all this? Looking at the options I noticed many many provide either a unique secondary Typing or has something which makes it unique on its own. It feels like in a way GF may have tried to maybe mitigate the idea of the "gen bug/bird/rodent" by keeping all the options they kept feel they have their own thing to offer and aren't meant to just be tossed away later on (or at least not as early as you normally would). Also with many having secondary Typing it also gives options to how to form your team. Like if you want the psychic ladybug on your team you'll probably not pick Natu to be your bird or if you want Rufflet you may not pick Minccino (and from there you build your team around that or, if you come across another Pokemon you want to use, go back and choose another bug/bird/rodent till you get a team you like).

Would The Pikaclones Please Stand Up: The only Pikaclone in Galar is Togedemaru. While I can understand them not including Plusle, Minun, & Pachirisu, but to also not include both or either Emolga & Dedenne is a bit surprising since they have secondary Types not shared by other Pikaclones.

Spore Alone: Morelull is the only Pokemon that knows Spore in Galar.

Leon Not Lion: Bit odd that the Litleo family is absent, especially with how lions are a notable heraldry symbol (not to mention the Champion's name is Leon which means "lion"). Heck, the only big cat I see is Liepard, Luxray is also absent.

Well, that's all I see with my causal eyes. Well, of course I see more, but nothing more than "oh that Pokemon was excluded/included?".
I thought Morepeko was the Pika-Clone of this generation.

So is their a reason the image in the first post lists Stonejourner as Rock/? and Darumaka-G/Darmanitan-G and Ice/?, or is it just an error?

So, imagine my surprise when I found that most of these Pokemon have been completely cut. "Really, you were surprised"? Well, yes, because I thought they'd keep a handful but after the dex cut the only ones left are Caterpie, Grubbin, Hoothoot, Pidove, (Galarian) Zigzagoon, and Bunnelby. That's it.
It’s worth noting that they kept exactly one of those from every generation besides IV (I, VII, II, V, III, and VI, respectively.

So no more leaks until much closer to the sell date huh?
All Pokemon besides Mythicals (aka Mew + Melmetal) have been spoiled. The next step is probably spoiling story elements but for the most part we probably won't get anything else worth mentioning until the games are actually released.

Forgive me if I missed something, but so far there is no confirmation for Alola variants right? In the previous game were those counted as a separate number in the Dex from their Kanto versions?

And I assume the same for Kanto/other original versions? Will we be able to get Kanto Weezing or Unovan Darmanitan?

Looks like at the minimum there will be some type of Persian though which I find odd. Kanto Mewoth & Persian seem to be included.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Forgive me if I missed something, but so far there is no confirmation for Alola variants right? In the previous game were those counted as a separate number in the Dex from their Kanto versions?

And I assume the same for Kanto/other original versions? Will we be able to get Kanto Weezing or Unovan Darmanitan?

Looks like at the minimum there will be some type of Persian though which I find odd. Kanto Mewoth & Persian seem to be included.
In past games Alolan forms were listed as alternate forms of their base mons. For example, if you sorted the SM and USUM Pokedexes by region, all the Alolan forms were in the Kanto dex in the slots their base forms occupied.

I would expect to get a datamine for stats, items and abilities before release.
Only if an actual copy of the game gets into the hands of a dataminer. Preloads can not currently be datamined.

https://pastebin.com/c9LikXQj

I think we'll more likely see things like screenshots of Pokemon stats or things from the guide book which we can use to get rough estimates of base stats. I hope I'm wrong but as far as I can see we won't be datamining anything until release.

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Unless someone very creditable has gotten their hands on these games, there's still a slim chance that data miners could debunk everything. If that happens, the chaos will be glorious and I'd savor every moment. It's probably real, but I just wanted to remind everyone and point out how hilarious it would be. >:D
Seriously though, the only reason I'm not preordering Shield yet is because "no third version" is based on the very real looking massive, but still unconfirmed, leak. Better paranoid than sorry. (If it is confirmed, please correct me.)

Something I can't believe no one's pointed out is Eternatus is the first Legendary Poison Type! (Not counting Arceus or Silvally. Omnitypes shouldn't be counted.) It took eight generations, but there's finally a Legendary for every type.

Edit: Also, RIP Staraptor's streak of being BL for every generation. It was impressive, but all good things must come to an end.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Leaker is detailing story leaks on 4chan atm. If anyone wants to compile those, go right ahead.

Zamazenta's ability gives defense boost on battle start

Zacian's ability gives attack boost on battle start

Zamazenta's pure typed form is named Hero of Many Battles normally, and the added Steel-typed form is named Crowned Shield when holding the Rusted Shield item.

Gigantamax Copperajah is a thing. Design unknown.

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the new 'mons will have weather abilities or even the auto-terrains. Will terrains still be useful without auto-setters?

For those who are going to use only new pokémon, what's your team?
Galar Meowth, Drednaw, Centiskorch, Toxtricity, Dragapult and Zacian.

Honor mentions: Appletun, Eiscue, Runerigus, Frosmoth, Duraludon and Arctozold. So probably my team ends with Arctozold or Frosmoth instead of Centiskorch

You can now make an entire team made up of nothing but Meowth and its evolutions
OH YES!!!! Haha

Luxray is also absent
That hurt me.

I wonder if any of the new 'mons will have weather abilities or even the auto-terrains. Will terrains still be useful without auto-setters?
They should be in. I think that if GF wants to bring variety to the competitive, aside of balance it, they should be in the game. At more strategies variety more competitive will be the game I think. Maybe I'm wrong, you know much much more than me of Pokemon xD

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader

Leaker confirms Gengar can Gigantamax, but cannot obtain it (trades).

______

Charizard (Gigantamax), Aegislash, Haxorus, Final Starter you're weak to (Rillaboom / Cinderace / Inteleon), Dragapult, 6th Pokémon he forgot.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)