SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword & Shield Pre-Release SPOILERS - Check Post 2!

We can only hope. Here’s to hoping we get some buffs where they’re needed!
Seaking, cherrim, skuntank, lanturn, shiftry, dusknoir, and sudowoodo come to mind off the top of my head. I can't say any little base stat boosts will actually help them much, but they are some that got in that need....something.

Dragapult's viability and potential OPness banks on how good its coverage is, imo. If it gets a bunch of stuff like Earthquake, U-turn and Superpower it could become troublesome. If it has little else aside from Ghost/Dragon coverage lacking reliable physical Ghost STAB then it should be alright.
Coverage or not it's going to be a threat, but coverage is going to determine how much of one I suppose. Being pursuit and sucker punch fodder do lower the possibility of it being anywhere near banned though, especially since that typing and bulk make it very unsafe to hard switch it in ever.

Dragapult's viability and potential OPness banks on how good its coverage is, imo. If it gets a bunch of stuff like Earthquake, U-turn and Superpower it could become troublesome. If it has little else aside from Ghost/Dragon coverage lacking reliable physical Ghost STAB then it should be alright.
It's already confirmed to have U-turn, so it's already one of the best Choice Band users in the tier coupled with that Speed stat.

Here is some basic info.

New Items and Features for Training Pokémon
New items that will help Trainers raise their Pokémon will be introduced in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

Each Pokémon has a Nature that can impact which of its stats are likely to grow faster or slower than average. Using a Mint on a Pokémon seems to change these stat-growth patterns and will impact which stats of a Pokémon are likely to grow faster than usual. Mints will not change a Pokémon’s Nature.

Special supplements—nutritious drinks like Protein and Iron—raise a Pokémon’s base points, which in turn help raise that Pokémon’s stats. If two Pokémon are of the same species but one has more base points, the Pokémon with more base points will grow stronger. Until now, there has been a limit on how many special supplements could be used on a Pokémon. In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, Trainers will be able to max out a Pokémon’s base points using only these supplements.
Normally, Pokémon earn Exp. Points through battling.

If a Trainer uses an Exp. Candy, they will be able to give their Pokémon Exp. Points directly. Exp. Candy can be earned in Max Raid Battles.

Sometimes, a Pokémon hatched from an Egg will know unusual moves called Egg Moves. Egg Moves are moves that a Pokémon normally wouldn’t be able to learn through more common means, like leveling up or using TMs.

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, if two Pokémon of the same species are placed at a Pokémon Nursery together, an Egg Move that one them knows can be passed on to the other Pokémon. A Pokémon can only learn an Egg Move in this way when it knows three or fewer moves.

New Features Including Changes to Pokémon Boxes, Autosave Functionality, and Pokémon Nicknames for Traded Pokémon

There are many new features that will be introduced in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield that are designed to make a Trainer’s adventure easier to enjoy.

Pokémon that aren’t on a Trainer’s team can be deposited into Pokémon Boxes. In these games, Trainers will not only be able to access their Pokémon Boxes in various towns and facilities but also while they’re on the road or even when exploring tall grass.

Pokémon can be swapped in and out of a Trainer’s team whenever the Trainer wants, though there are a few places, such as mission areas where a Trainer takes on a Pokémon Gym, where Trainers won’t be able to access their Pokémon Boxes.

Saving the game diligently has always been a part of a Pokémon adventure but in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, Trainers can take advantage of the new autosave function.

The autosave function will automatically save a player’s progress during their adventure at various points, such as entering a town or building. Although the function is automatically enabled when a Trainer begins their adventure, it can be turned off so saves can be made manually. Even when autosave is on, it is still possible to save progress in the game manually. Trainers can choose how they would like to save in the Options menu.

If a Pokémon that has been received in a trade doesn’t have a nickname, Trainers will now have the chance to give it a nickname—but only once. This can be achieved by speaking to the man standing behind the left-hand counter in any Galar region Pokémon Center. Like previous Pokémon video games, the name of a traded Pokémon that already has a nickname cannot be changed

Its so that you can in a sense ”combine” the natures, so practically making your own nature by combining them. Idk it’s strange, but will be a big deal

Mod Edit: Please stop double posting
I did not double post. I think the posts merged after somebody deleted a previous post between mine. That’s been happening to me lately. :puff:

Not gonna lie, I'm somewhat disappointed with Dragapult's stats. I like my psuedo-legendaries to have really high stats in everything but speed, so Dragapult's focus on offenses and speed is a bummer. At the very least, it subverts the usual trend of psuedo legendaries having okay to bad speed and the stat spread is really good competitively. High speed with good offensives and spammable ghost-type STAB is good no matter how you slice it, especially if Dragapult gets something like Spirit Shackle (not impossible give that its shooting things like Decidueye).

Duraludon has a stat spread I'm more comfortable with, having pretty high defense, good attacking stats, and alright speed. That low special defense might hurt it, but its got a lot of good resistances so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Not gonna lie, I'm somewhat disappointed with Dragapult's stats. I like my psuedo-legendaries to have really high stats in everything but speed, so Dragapult's focus on offenses and speed is a bummer. At the very least, it subverts the usual trend of psuedo legendaries having okay to bad speed and the stat spread is really good competitively. High speed with good offensives and spammable ghost-type STAB is good no matter how you slice it, especially if Dragapult gets something like Spirit Shackle (not impossible give that its shooting things like Decidueye).

Duraludon has a stat spread I'm more comfortable with, having pretty high defense, good attacking stats, and alright speed. That low special defense might hurt it, but its got a lot of good resistances so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Yea I was low-key hoping for something like Giratina/Giratina-O in terms of stats. Having a bulky Ghost/Dragon would be cool in OU. Ah well, let's see how it turns out!

I could somewhat relate to this. Though, with DD, great dragon STAB, U-Turn, I think it's looking very promising. Dragapult looks like it really just needs one great move to be insanely good (if it isn't already). Since it's a pseudo, I'd be surprised if it didn't get anything aside from the said moves also.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's already confirmed to have U-turn, so it's already one of the best Choice Band users in the tier coupled with that Speed stat.
Oof. Was to be expected from a Pokemon partially based on military aircraft, but still very menacing. I still think that Dragapult should be manageable, but I also thought Naganadel would be manageable prior to USUM's launch so don't take my word for it.

Overall though, I really like what I'm seeing from the new mons so far. They seem to have clearly defined strengths and weaknesses: For instance, Barraskewda may have a great ability and amazing physical offense, but it is stuck with a meh mono Water typing for that purpose and can't use some of the better Water moves and coverage due to bad Special Attack. Falinks has an insane set-up move, but said move also has a drawback and the Pokemon itself has just alright stats and type. Hatterene is designed for Trick Room and seems super powerful with a good type, but by that same token it's hella slow and not even that bulky, so on and so forth. And of course, they continue the great trend Gen 7 started of trying to give everyone something unique, whether it be a signature move or ability. These guys should make good fits in the SWSH meta without drowning out other generations and old Pokemon like some of Gen 7's bigger threats did.

Can we discuss for a minute, humor a seasoned and tired woman, how much of current gen UU is getting bumped up due to the cut? The one that is making my heart race and my cheeks flush the most is bisharp, my baby coming back to where he belongs. With how prominent ghosts and fairies are looking...bisharp might actually have a place on top tier teams and that makes me very pleased. Especially with dragapult and grimsnarl running around. Bisharp can body both of em.

Falinks's no retreat move is really intriguing as well. I highly doubt that's enough to carry it to high places, but it's certainly going to make for a fun gimmick to shake things up late game if given the chance, assuming it's coverage is good enough to make use of it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Can we discuss for a minute, humor a seasoned and tired woman, how much of current gen UU is getting bumped up due to the cut? The one that is making my heart race and my cheeks flush the most is bisharp, my baby coming back to where he belongs. With how prominent ghosts and fairies are looking...bisharp might actually have a place on top tier teams and that makes me very pleased. Especially with dragapult and grimsnarl running around. Bisharp can body both of em.
Via speculatory meta testing Drampa is actually ridiculous on Trick Room which in itself is a very powerful playstyle, so you better believe I'm happy. Even if Trick Room falls off the final meta I'm sure my man could carve out a better role in maybe even RU.

Also, Gengar is back.

Via speculatory meta testing Drampa is actually ridiculous on Trick Room which in itself is a very powerful playstyle, so you better believe I'm happy. Even if Trick Room falls off the final meta I'm sure my man could carve out a better role in maybe even RU.

Also, Gengar is back.
If you're getting your panties twisted over trick room viability you should be thinking about becoming a vgc player. Trick room is never going to be a reliable play style in singles, no matter how much they milk it, let us be realistic.

If Dragapult ends being a threat scarf weavile is going to —again— be a thing.
I'd argue Weavile never really stopped being a thing, but yeah, Weavile is definitely a thing again. We got a lot of threats that it checks it just depends on if those threats out way the fact ferro and pex are still bodying our little ice boi

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
If Dragpult ends being a threat scarf weavile is going to —again— be a thing.
Oh don't worry, Weavile is already top-tier in speculatory SWSH OU, so you're going to be seeing him a lot regardless of how good Scarf Weavile or Dragapult is.

If you're getting your panties twisted over trick room viability you should be thinking about becoming a vgc player. Trick room is never going to be a reliable play style in singles, no matter how much they milk it, let us be realistic.
I forgot about VGC! Wasn't Drampa actually pretty decent back in VGC 2017? And with the various direct and indirect buffs Trick Room has gotten... ...mmmmmmmmm

Falinks's no retreat move is really intriguing as well. I highly doubt that's enough to carry it to high places, but it's certainly going to make for a fun gimmick to shake things up late game if given the chance, assuming it's coverage is good enough to make use of it.
We're in an era where flygon will be our ground/dragon OU mon with access to defog, roost, dragon dance, and u-turn choice sets, lure sets with fire punch, Max Fighting moves giving +1 attack each use and having access to super power..

No garchomp, No salamence, No Dragonite, Welcome back for the first time since gen 3 or 4.

If Dragapult ends being a threat scarf weavile is going to —again— be a thing.
Sounds like a waste. Just band it and force the 50/50 with Ice Shard + Pursuit. If it uses any move besides Dragon STAB just Pursuit for the KO.

There's plenty of counters and checks for this thing. I don't think a STAB base 100 dragon move + Shadow Claw is going to be breaking the meta all that hard. Any reasonably physically bulky fairy or steel is going to walk all over this as long as it doesn't take a boosted super effective hit. Imo it's pretty balanced.

We're in an era where flygon will be our ground/dragon OU mon with access to defog, roost, dragon dance, and u-turn choice sets.

No garchomp, No salamence, No Dragonite, Hello relevancy.
With the resurgence of ice types I'm seeing becoming very likely I wouldn't really count of flygon being a prominent threat in top tiers, but perhaps I'll be surprised.

I think Scarf Hydreigon should be able to take care of it unless it's a DD set. Banded Weavile with Ice Shard + Pursuit should handle it better. Scarf Weavile can't reliably stop the DD set since Dragapult's faster at +1.
Was thinking about non-scarf. For scarfs sets idk, if Weavile fails to get the OHKO it gets OHKOed in return so no chance for ice shard + pursuit.

Sounds like a waste. Just band it and force the 50/50 with Ice Shard + Pursuit. If it uses any move besides Dragon STAB just Pursuit for the KO.

There's plenty of counters and checks for this thing. I don't think a STAB base 100 dragon move + Shadow Claw is going to be breaking the meta all that hard. Any reasonably physically bulky fairy or steel is going to walk all over this as long as it doesn't take a boosted super effective hit. Imo it's pretty balanced.
I don't think it's breaking the meta either but I don't really know why are you talking about Ice Shard + Pursuit in a CB set. A 50/50 is not a realiable way to answer a mon, if Ice Shard don't get the KO Weavile gets OHKOed back, its paper, if it goes for the pursuit and it doesn't switch, it gets evaporated too. I don't see any real scenario in which Weavile gets both ice shard and pursuit or even 2 ice shards against this thing.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
We're in an era where flygon will be our ground/dragon OU mon with access to defog, roost, dragon dance, and u-turn choice sets, lure sets with fire punch, Max Fighting moves giving +1 attack each use and having access to super power..

No garchomp, No salamence, No Dragonite, Hello relevancy.
Got bad news for you man. In Speculatory OU, Flygon sucks. Scarf sets are too weak, and attacker sets are just outclassed. And that's just the incomplete version without certain returning mons and new stuff! Maybe he'll be decent in UU idk

Got bad news for you man. In Speculatory OU, Flygon sucks. Scarf sets are too weak, and attacker sets are just outclassed. And that's just the incomplete version without certain returning mons and new stuff! Maybe he'll be decent in UU idk
Not playing devil's advocate, but there're lots of things the community has said based on theorymon that went terribly wrong later. And I mean from "this Pokémon is UU material" to Ubers difference.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Not playing devil's advocate, but there're lots of things the community has said based on theorymon that went terribly wrong later. And I mean from "this Pokémon is UU material" to Ubers difference.
On one hand, this is coming from a proto-SWSH meta with everything we know of. On the other hand, it is definitely incomplete, so who knows? Ain't looking too good for Flygon though, even before all the stuff we haven't included, so I don't see things getting much better in the final product unless a bunch of new top-tier threats just so happen to be really weak to Dragon/Ground coverage.

* Landorus-T, Celesteela, and Skarmory have been snapped, leaving only Corviknight, Mandibuzz, Rotom-W (unless Mold Breaker), and Bronzong (unless Mold Breaker) as some of the few remaining hard-checks
* The King of the Pocket Monsters survived the snap and provides Sand Stream support, along with Hippowdon and Gigalith
* SD set diarrhea dumps on the FerroPex core
* No Primals and Rayquaza in Ubers to mess with Sand Rush

The Sand Knight Rises​

Last edited:
Speculatory OU isn't just theorymonning. It's an actual meta consisting of all the old mons that were officially revealed.
Could you send me a link to this? I'm so interested.

On one hand, this is coming from a proto-SWSH meta with everything we know of. On the other hand, it is definitely incomplete, so who knows? Ain't looking too good for Flygon though, even before all the stuff we haven't included, so I don't see things getting much better in the final product unless a bunch of new top-tier threats just so happen to be really weak to Dragon/Ground coverage.
I didn't know it was an actual playable environment.

Frosmoth having more or less the same stat spread as Volcarona is interesting. I wonder if at any point in its development it was meant to be a regional variant of Volcarona before veering off into a unique design. Here's hoping Frosmoth's movepool has varied and powerful options like its fiery sis! Does anyone know what level Frosmoth's evo evolves?

Centiscorch has really great stats, I'm kinda shook. Strong, speedy, and not frail either.

My in-game team is gonna be... All bugs, ghosts, and Tyranitar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)